Civilization XLCVIII

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Civilization XLCVIII

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:10 am

We can't have combos right? Cos c sounds cool but a is probably more practical.

I'll vote C since it probably doesn't matter to the consensus.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:49 am

is there an ability where a species just "eats" heat? If so, go for that.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:06 am

Release an allergen that makes the Sneezers fill up with mucus and spasm uncontrollably until they die.

Don't care about the other vote, as whatever gets picked won't work out the way we want.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

twistedstraka
Of Few Words

Post by twistedstraka » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:54 am

C and evolve symboisis with gemcrabs

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:10 pm

1.3 Billion Years

Dropping the "survival rate" concept and instead having it "drop" a small amount every turn. It'll go back up based on actions and mutations.

I'll roll the chance at 2 Billion. If you do go extinct, well... can't all be lucky ones...

A) Ignore the ocean floor and go below, looking for extremophile bacteria to feast upon instead?: 100 (Critical Success!) [Survival Rate stays at 100%]

Intelligence: 11
Geovore: 12
Mechanization: 87
Heat Eating: 11
Toxic Allergen: 33
Symbiosis with Gemcrabs: 86

Breaching Mantle Caverns in 3 turns.

You've headed much deeper into the tectonic plates, finding all *kinds* of bacteria. Nothing down here survives the might of your fangs and you're slowly becoming much bigger... and a lot hotter to boot having developed an internal furnace capable of melting metal that is surrounded in a ceramic-like substance. With the gigantic food supply in the water-saturated layers beneath the ocean, you've grown to the size of -three- fists instead of one. You're now a giant among creatures, blinking into the largest "holes" in the strata and colonizing them as the currents bring bacteria like a predictable heartbeat. Your "knot of shell" at the center has encompassed your entire body now, rendering you a little slower but also more protected.

You're out of range of the Sneezers and most of the other predators are staying on the ocean floor, so you're enjoying a lack of predators for the moment. By the same token you're running into far fewer Heated Scarabs having delved to a distance that is too hot even for them. This slow exposure over the last 100,000,000 years has has rendered you immune to heat and fire completely, but you're going to need to find a new food source as the bacteria down here *will* begin to evolve to defend against you eventually (and rapidly!).

Your stinger isn't effective against simple bacteria because there aren't enough resources in individual bacteria to create more young, and you find yourself more and more relying on your Mentemo Toxins. You're slowly beginning to evolve out a need for oxygen -- while the oceans are mostly oxygenated and you'd evolved for it kinda offscreen, down here throwing oxygen on heat is like starting a fire (and would just lead to you overheating).

Today's question is where to go. Deeper into the mantle, ride the tectonic plates, or burst out of the ocean floor and start snapping at the bigger predators and prey that make up the ocean floor? You're big enough that you can take on the Diamondback Vibrators and Sneezers on their own turf.

Will You...

A) Withdraw even deeper into the mantle, using the heat and carbon to forge shells of diamond?
B) Flow along the tectonic plates, constructing ant-like "nests" for storage of bacteria and resources?
C) Return to the ocean floor's "surface", surprising the predators and prey that lurk there?

Still no name for the species, or did I miss it?
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:39 pm

b and cultivation (got to herd them varmits)

Though cant we also eat sound? Actually can you give us a list of mutations so far?
Last edited by Arch Lich Burns on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edits

twistedstraka
Of Few Words

Post by twistedstraka » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:40 pm

A and evolve burrowing prehensile limbs/tentacles

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:04 am

C, and let's try to evolve tentacles.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:13 am

My Vote is for B as it's the beginning of farming and domesticated bacteria ;)

Though if we pick C we might have bumped up our mind control to help fight the predators and prey thee (as the redditers Hallmark improved this turn)

And still sticking with Geovore as a mutation the more food the better
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:20 am

I'll try heat eating again. :)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:50 am

Yeah, I like A and B...

I'll go with B so someone else can decide :lol:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:56 am

But C is the "I am a creature from the deep and have arisen stronger than ever before" option... :P

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:57 am

A
Mechanization again - The beginning of a living robotic civilization.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:34 am

M0rtimer wrote:But C is the "I am a creature from the deep and have arisen stronger than ever before" option... :P
But we're probably only the size of a football, no? That's not a very impressive Old One :)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:39 am

But when everything else is only the size of an orange, it's still impressive! It's basically baby cthulhu's first arrival among all other baby creatures. :roll:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:40 am

Hahahah! True :lol:

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:42 am

yeah...but...how are we going to rule the underworld as fire demons if we don't go deeper? into the magma itself.
Aegis J Hyena wrote:... has rendered you immune to heat and fire completely...(and would just lead to you overheating).
Also not sure how creatures that are immune to heat can get overheated. :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:56 am

...and oxygen dissolved in water is still mostly water, so throwing it on heat is going to make hot water (which would actually drive the oxygen out of the water... hot water is less able to hold dissolved gasses).
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:24 am

Since we're immune to heat and fire, if we do ever reach the surface, we are going to be a spontaneously combusting race of pure destruction :lol: that'll be awesome :)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:03 am

We'll basically be creatures composed of magma, which will set everything and anything on fire when it comes within 50ft of us. The heat alone will melt their faces.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:09 am

Nah, some unmeltable ice monsters will spontaneously evolve and negate everything we've developed. :P
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:09 am

We (or some of us) can escape to land via volcanoes much later on.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:23 am

Ohh, great idea burns...we can live in/around volcanoes.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:08 pm

1.4 Billion Years

Survival Rate: 100% +4 (Two mutations) -7 (Mostly Unsuccessful) = 97%
Appearance: A colorless "ant" the size of three fists side by side that is covered in a ceramic shell. Has an internal furnace capable of melting metal towards the back of its body that superheats water for its fangs. Has a pair of shark teeth-like fangs at the front, and eight small prehensile tendrils both at its front and back that it can use to hold and manipulate.
Mutations currently: Superheated Fangs (+Bite), Mentemo toxins (+Mind Manipulation), Anglerfish Lure (+Senses), Chemosynthesis (+Energy), Vibration/Sound sensing organ (fuels locomotion), Parasitic Stinger at the back (+Reproduction), Ceramic Furnace (grants great Internal Heat), Cultivation (+Food), Prehensile Tendrils (+Manipulation); Hallmark Mutation is Mind Control
Predators: Almost none
Prey: Mostly hardened bacteria

Cultivation: 92 (Success)
Prehensile Limbs: 96 (Success)
Tentacles: 25
Geovore: 12
Heat Eating: 41
Mechanization: 27

Breaching Mantle Caverns in 2 turns.
Hallmark Improves at 1.7 Billion Years

B) Flow along the tectonic plates, constructing ant-like "nests" for storage of bacteria and resources?: 25 (Mostly Unsuccessful) [Survival Rate drops by 7%]

I still don't think we've got a name for this species do we? The Redditors named theirs the Psyper for the 1-2 billion year stage.

You've flowed along with the tectonic plates, setting up "nodes" or "hives" where your species can gather and grow. Since your stinger isn't designed for bacteria, you've instead altered yourself to grow a series of eight small tentacles at the front and back of of your bodies. These are starting to pick up and move the hardened bacteria down here and you store these bacteria in rooms designed to hold specific bacteria so that they don't all try to eat each other. Those that try to fight back are heated to the point they burst, spewing delicious proteins everywhere.

Meanwhile your fangs have become harder and sharper, appearing like shark teeth and taking on a metal sheen -- the hot water down here brings with it a lot of metallic impurities (mostly iron but a few others, like carbon) and you've been absorbing such metals into your biology. You've evolved a narrow hole at the base of the teeth to inject your superheated water (which at this point is also being mixed with wastes in the blood and your Mentemo toxins -- precursor to venom).

In the meantime, the "ground" down here is becoming more and more unstable. Oceanquakes have become more and more common, and more and more some layers of the ground are folding over on themselves, crushing several colonies of your species. That doesn't mean there isn't a safe spot here, and you're rapidly evolving to where you can seek out honeycombed "tunnels" below the offending layers of strata.

I forgot how to do tabs, so I'll have all info under tabs for the next turn once I refresh myself.

Will you...

A) Go to where the planet is most unstable and attempt to build hive networks to strengthen the mantle?
B) Breach the mantle caves early, looking for a place to live away from the mantle's lack of stability?
C) Continue to flow with the tectonic plates, building hives to seal them so you can have all the heat for yourself?
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

twistedstraka
Of Few Words

Post by twistedstraka » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:19 pm

A
I vote lavantz for name
And evolve strength