The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17223
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:45 am

((Sorry, I've had a rough couple of weeks... Will update today))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20324

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:49 am

((No worries, we'd just left it vague, so was making a call one way so you had it when you could post!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17223
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:38 am

Lizard Group

Merric makes it up to the little ledge and squeezes in beside Kal, as one of the stalactites overhead shudders. You all hear a strange, high-pitched chirp pierce the darkness of the cavern, but Artho gets no meaningful response to his question. Artho passes the end of the rope to Arok, who ties it around her waist and hisses to him to hurry.

"Artho, come on across, but have a look above... See any stalactites that weren't there before?"
"I... Maybe? I'm sorry, I was holding the rope..."

((Let's have initiative please))

Artho begins to climb deftly up the rope, and there is a flurry of movement from above.

Artho: Initiative: 1D20+2 = [20]+2 = 22
Arok: Initiative: 1D20+2 = [5]+2 = 7
???: Initiative: 1D20+1 = [3]+1 = 4

----------------------------------------------------

Druid Group

"If you are ready, I shall fetch Tam."

Gorock steps to the trees and makes the sound of an owl calling. A few moments later, Tam appears behind him, looking happy, if not as exuberant as usual.

"Leaving so soon? Where would you like me to send you?"

-----------------------------------------------------

Temple Group

Locke returns to find Shossk covered in stone dust and smoke behind the door, but otherwise looking not particularly worse for wear for the explosion and the pair ponder who would build a trap inside a temple as they move into the next room.

"A mmundane trap inside the temple, Why?"
"Easier to hide, meybe? Ain't there spells that can see magic stuff?"

Looking into the next room, the pair smell a sharp, acrid chemical scent in air and see a room that looks like a makeshift workspace with heavy wooden benches and tables arranged through the room, all of which look oddly out of place against the fine marble floors and delicately-carved stone and silver pillars. Broken boxes, tools and smashed jars litter the room. A number of small scattered fires are centered aroung the middle of the room, but with a few smaller fires reaching the walls. Scraps of burning paper float through the dusty air. Two archways on the back wall flank a marble altar and lead deeper in. Above the altar is a carved mural of a tangled tree beneath a pair of moons. Three stars are carved into the tangle of its roots.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20324

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:29 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6896

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:46 am

Varsk scratches his side and looks over at Mehr.

"Where we goin'?"

User avatar
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 7335
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by WearsHats » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:50 pm

Initiative: 1D20+1 = [5]+1 = 6

Kal steadies the rope and prepares himself to meet any incoming attack with his fist.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 13773
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:40 am

"Mhrn... I ill like going without full preparations, but it is at the request of Goroth, and I doubt we will learn more from the lizards, so... I say we go to Cyfan Ile."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6896

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:18 am

"Fine. You hear that Tam?"

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17223
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:44 am

Druid Group
Rodgeir wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:18 am
"Fine. You hear that Tam?"
Tam blanches and his face falls as he repeats the name back in barely a whisper.

"Cyfan Ile... Yes. I heard that."

Tam moves to a tree nearby and puts his hand out to touch it. He hesitates and looks back at the trio of mortals.

"You don't HAVE to go there you know! You could leave this to someone else. Go anywhere else! There are places in the far north that-"

Goroth clears his throat and gives Tam a look.

"They get to choose, Tam. They chose."

Tam shakes his head and mumbles something back before placing his hand in the trunk of a large, nearby tree.

((Perception to overhear))

"I can only send you so close to the old ruins. Most of the trees there can't hear me any more. You'll have to walk for a while, and you won't be able to come back here from there directly either. Make sure you wear those rings, and don't touch the river water. Drink rain water and make sure you sleep high off the ground. The acid will eat through your boots soon enough too, so mind that and stay dry and-"

"Tam! They know all that stuff! It's obvious! Let them go!"

((Still good to go?))

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6896

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:39 am

"Great."

Listening: 1D20+4 = [3]+4 = 7


Varsk mostly tries to tune the little nudest out.

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6095

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:21 am

Shossk contemplates the scattered fires - do they seem to be threatening the rest of the temple? If they are he'll use Shape Water on his water skin, drawing the water from out of it and dousing the most dangerous flames, afterward returning the water back into the skin.

Otherwise, Shossk will do a quick pace around the room to see if his Detect Magic picks up anything.

Finally, he stares at the mural. It's obviously of religious significance, and maybe if Shossk can determine who or what it's dedicated to then it may be of help elsewhere in the temple.
Religion check on wall mural: 1d20+6 = [7] = 13

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 13773
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:18 pm

Perception: 1D20+1 = [14]+1 = 15

Mehr frowns at Tam's concern, "Are there any others who could go there? I honestly agree that it's an unpleasant place to go, if there is anyone else who could go there to put a stop to the foulness. There is still other work yet undone, also. Captives we must locate, and such an acid land hardly seems productive to that search."

Edit: Having heard Tam's muttering, the dragonborn glances between Goroth and Tam, "If we truly don't know what we're choosing, perhaps it would be for the best that we not go. Important as you think this is, Goroth - and I am in agreement - it would be only suicide to go into a place that causes such concern without full preparation."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17223
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:23 pm

Tam frowns slightly and cocks his head to one side.

"Maybe, maybe not. Everyone must follow their own path, and its just my job to open the gates for a few of them. It seems like you have already chosen this path, even if you doubt it. You sought us out. You brought us news of the... You know... Ash'Karoth... And you asked for help. And you got it! And that's no small thing for outsiders! And yes, you have aided us in return, perhaps more than you realise. If you do not wish to follow this path further, then that is your fate. You will do whatever it is you must do, just like everyone else.

I can't tell you what you might find there when you arrive in Cyfan Ile, or if you are even capable of surviving the swamp. I do hope you won't all be melted by the river though... Or the fumes in the air... It really is important that you don't drink the water!"

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 13773
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:43 pm

Mehr glances at the others, "That sounds like an extremely dangerous place, moreso than I had expected, and I would not ask those under my employ enter such danger. If going there would prove of any use then I had assumed we would find the lizards there, but it hardly sounds like an environment they could survive in. Perhaps we would find something of use regarding the place when dealing with the lizards elsewhere." Heaving a sigh, the dragonborn rubs at his eyes, "What do we think? I'm having doubts about diving headlong into a landscape where the ground and air burn."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6896

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:36 am

"I'm just here to get those captives and get the payout for that. Seems like they ain't gonna be there if it melts everyone and thing. Better to deal with the lizards and get out captives so we can get our money. This dragon garbage seems like more trouble than it's worth us."

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 13773
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Dlover » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:31 am

"I do feel that there is worth in this matter, but it's true that it doesn't counterbalance the danger. Whatever good we could do, however much respect I would earn with my clan to have seen a True Dragon - though I wouldn't be able to prove it - all falls to nothing should we die." Removing the ring he was given, Mehr holds it out, "We were given these with the expectation that we use them for this task, so I will return it."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7987
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:34 pm

Locke joins Shossk in searching the new room. He's particularly interested in the contents of those boxes and jars. Did anything shiny or useful survive the fire?

Investigation: 1d20+3 = [9] = 12

He then checks out the archways at the back, seeing where they lead.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17223
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:34 pm

((Druid group - remember that insight checks are a thing, or nature checks or whatever. You have options to try to validate some of what they're saying if you want to))

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 13773
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Dlover » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:53 pm

((Mehr trusts Tam's not lying, since he could just send them there without doubts otherwise, and he doesn't really know nature, but he'll trust that if Tam can't reach the trees there's probably enough acidity to have killed them all.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 7440

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Theis2 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:05 am

Merric initiative: 1D20+3 = [15]+3 = 18
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17223
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:05 am

Lizard Group

With a rustle sounding like leathery wings, the stalactite above Artho suddenly drops from the ceiling, clamping tightly around his torso and beginning to squeeze.

Arok shouts a cry as the extra weight on the rope pulls her forwards and off her feet and she scrambles to catch herself as she is pulled towards the edge of the slope.

Korrik is quick to move, and throws a rock hard at the creature, hitting it with a wet <thwack>. Desperately clinging onto the moving rope, Artho struggles against the creature, and with a heroic effort manages to get free of it. It seems to be all he can do to keep hold of the rope right now though.
((I'll take a Strength save from Kal please to avoid dropping the rope, DC12))

Turn Order
Korrik
Artho
Merric <-----
Arok [PRONE]
Kal
Not-a-Stalactite
Something else

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Druid Group

Mehriv decides against heading straight to Cyfan Ile. Goroth frowns at him, but Tam mostly looks relieved.

"If you will not go, who will? We certainly cannot! Those vile creatures deserve death for what they do!

Tam gives Goroth a sideways look, but says nothing. Instead, he holds up a hand as Merric offers the rings back.
"That was a gift, given freely to you, from our people. They are yours to use however and whenever you see fit. Keep them.

So... Where do you wish to go instead?"
. He grins, evidently quite pleased at this turn of events.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Temple Group

The scattered fires don't seem to be threatening the temple building and should go out on their own soon enough, but they are burning through various liquids, old papers and sacks left around the room, and one workbench closest to the explosion looks like it will continue burning happily for quite a while. He estimates that he could probably put out one or two fires with the water from his water skin, but enough would evaporate in the process that he couldn't put them all out.

[Investigation check if you want to look more carefully at anything - you've got somewhat limited time to deal with the flames before whatever is on fire burns up]

Shossk senses a magical aura from each of the doorways, similar to the one he felt at the magical entryway. A quick glance at the mural indicates some sense of duality to him - above & below; light and dark; day & night, which is common enough amongst a number of religions, but he doesn't recognise the details. It's not like anything he's seen in reference to any of the common elvish gods that he's come across so far anyway.

Locke checks quickly around the room. A few smouldering fires have caught on some wooden boxes, sacks and spilled liquids. A heavy leather-bound book smoulders in a corner, threatening an open box with a couple of rolls of parchment sticking out of it. Another shelf on the opposite side of the room with a couple of intact vials still sitting on it looks ready to collapse under the influence of another small fire. Under the burning desk, he spots two leather satchels that are certainly going to burn up if left to their own devices.

A quick glance down each of the corridors shows they each end in carved stone doorways. A dusty, ancient skeleton lies slumped against the foot of the right-side door.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6896

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:10 am

((Think you mean Mehr rather than Merric for the druid group?))

Varsk gives a shrug and looks at Mehr,

"Maybe we should find what's his name and the paladin? What was the name of the lizardfolk tribe? They are probably dead but maybe not."

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17223
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:16 am

((Yup))

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7987
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:20 am

Locke springs into action, trying to save as many of the things he noticed as he can. The leather satchels are first priority, his nimble fingers trying to hook them out from under the desk and pat out the flames before they can be incinerated.

The vials are his next target, then I suppose the parchments if he's got time.

((Would this be a Sleight of Hand check?))

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6095

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:53 am

Shossk stops in his tracks and stares at Locke as he darts about the room. Is he looting hidden valuables? Shossk supposes he must be. Shossk must have passed over them, not sensing any magic, though mundane supplies are still useful.

Shossk joins Locke in the looting, looking to save a few things from the blaze. He'll focus on potential arcane or religious texts. They might hold useful insights, magical or otherwise. Barring that, he'll just grab anything he can that looks useful. Again, he'll Shape Water if he needs to.

Investigation on burning miscellany: 1d20+4 = [16] = 20

Post Reply