The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:20 am

Nioca wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:42 pm "That requires an antidote. I can see if there's some Saram nearby, but that means venturing outward. 'Less, as I said, our elven friend happens to have some on him..."

((Does Syli still have a use of wildshape remaining?))
((Sure- we can say you've had time for a short rest after your training if you like. It'll be investigation to search the house, nature to search the surrounding area, and rolls for dealing with the elf depend on what you try to do with him))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:36 am

"Perhaps for the elder, as he is a friend to Tam and known to the others, but the elf? We can't be certain he can be trusted, and our welcome doesn't extend to just anyone we find it convenient to take. Perhaps if you were to go, permission may be received, but you may only return to a full-grown tree, and if you return as the kobolds were closing for their attack it would be extremely dangerous for you... And if there is something of importance here that the kobolds are after in their raid, we would be abandoning it. I do not like either of those risks."

Mehr eyes the mirror, then shrugs. The word doesn't translate to common, so it is either a name or a word of power, and mirrors are often used as scrying devices, so perhaps... Holding the mirror at arms-length and looking into its surface, Mehr speaks, loudly enough for those in the room to hear lest it be a transportation device leaving the others with no knowledge of the word, "This mirror may be enchanted. I could examine it, but testing is quicker, and considering the rarity of mirrors being used for malicious enchantment along with its presence here, I believe it will be safe. Listen carefully, for if anything happens to me, the word I speak next is the item's keyword. Valemgaldro."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:53 am

"I am not worried about the kobolds." Gwen casts disguise self, looking like a lizardman with a cut off tail. "I am a massssster of dissssguisssse." Gwen dismisses the illusion. "I will be fine."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:05 am

"You learned draconic since the last time you tried that? Otherwise I suspect it will work as well as it did on the bridge.

I do agree that we should send the old dragonborn out of here. Giggles can find his own way."

Varsk ponders Vaceran's hunched, giggling form, "'Less he has somethin' to offer."

He watches with interest as Mehr tests the mirror and repeats it to himself a few times.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:22 am

Druid Group

Mehriv issues a dire warning to the others before speaking the strange word and the entire world ceases to exist. Nothing happens, except that the old man briefly stops muttering to himself and turns his head in the direction of Mehriv's voice. It's only a brief reaction though, and the sweetsleep quickly pulls him back into his fitful, half-sleep state.

As the group talk, the elf returns to the front of the hut, looking sheepish but a little more composed at least. He frowns in puzzlement when he sees Mehriv holding the broken mirror.

"What's that?"

Lizard Group

Kal isn't particularly familiar with this tribe, but from what he can guess, it looks like they've made use of some existing channels and altered some others to suit some purpose. The area seems highly defensible, but it's anyone's guess how the area is designed. Still, however, there is no sign of anyone.

((I assume you guys aren't making any attempt to be stealthy after Kal's advice to "proceed boldly" by the way))

Turning the canoe to the right again, the group continue to follow the deeper water.

((Will get you guys a map and a more complete update tonight))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:38 am

Gwen frowns at the dragonborn trying to get awake. "We need to get him awake. And possibly a decoy. ...Hmm they will come back if they think he is alive. We can make it look like he is already dead or killed."
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Arch Lich Burns on Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:49 am

Still standing at the back of the hut watching for trouble Varsk comments, sarcastically, into the window,

"I do think you could pull off a drugged, senile dragonborn pretty well."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:59 am

The miserable elf frowns at the suggestion and says quietly:

"Maybe with you here to help, he will be more manageable than when it's just me..."

He kneels down in front of the old man and gently touches the sides of his head, speaking softly and gently in elven. The old man seems to grow calmer and relaxes a little, though he still twitches and mumbles incoherently.

Speaking quietly, the elf murmers: "He's aleady been disturbed too much... Damnit. I have some herbs that will wake him. Please, give him some space and keep your voices down. He doesn't need to be upset any more than he has been."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:14 am

"Ya, ya. Get the herbs and bring him around Vaceran. We are workin' on deadline."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:11 pm

Lizard Group

Kal guides the canoe further south, following the deeper water. After a short distance, you see another opening to your right where the channel opens into a shallow-ish pool where you should be able to pull the canoe out of the water. Something in black cloth is also visible in the pool, floating on the surface of the water and bobbing gently against the tall grasses at the edge.

MAP
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:48 pm

"Think we should take a closer look? We can always get back in the canoe."
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:50 pm

"Mirror." is the only response Mehr gives to the elf's question about what he's holding, starting to examine it directly.
Arcana: 16

"That disguise certainly won't work if you appear in the middle of them and can't speak the language."

"He will be far more upset if a band of kobolds tries to kill him, so be quick about it. Even if they do not come now, he must be kept somewhere secure, away from the windows they have tested. Varsk, see to shutting the windows and doing whatever you must to keep them that way. They will likely come from multiple fronts."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:18 pm

Druid Group

Mehriv gives Varsk some instructions and examines the mirror. There doesn't seem to be anything magical about it.

The elf spends about ten minutes rooting around the kitchen area until he finds a clean-enough mug and heads back to the garden area. He lights a fire in a small outdoor firepit, and sets a kettle over the flames, then goes to the disheveled garden, occasionally pausing to sniff the leaves of certain plants, picking some and discarding others. Anyone watching the man while he works, would see him visibly relax as he is able to focus on this small task for the moment. When he seems to be satisfied with his collection, he returns to the kettle and adds the herbs to the water and waits.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:25 pm

"No magic, then is it a name? Perhaps somebody the elder cared for, or his own name? A point of no value at the moment."

Mehr moves to the doorway, peering out into their surroundings, keeping watch. Per: 17
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:03 pm

((It's probably around mid-afternoon right now for the druid group. This part of the forest is a bit dark due to the density of the trees, but sunlight is able to filter down to this little hut (it's not dim light or anything). There are definitely fewer tall trees here, and those that large ones that do exist here either seem to be sick or dead. It's about 2-3 hours before sunset. Based on Varsk's kobold knowledge, that might be something that influences your plans.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:33 pm

As the tall folk paddle closer, I use my staff to prod the floating fabric.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:24 am

Varsk frowns at Mehr for a few moments after hearing the plan before saying,

"Ya, I can get the windows shut up tight but your plan is to hole up in here? Kobold are cowardly little bastards, but they ain't stupid. They will come in a pack when it gets dark and they won't have a problem burning this place to the ground or runnin' and comin' back the next night with five times as many if the decide we're too strong. Besides our get out of shit stone needs a tree, which are much harder to get to inside the hut."

He waits to see if Mehr is following before going on,

"Lemme suggest that rather than puttin' everyone in this death trap we leave a couple in here and the rest of us hide out there. Probably opposite the direction they came in. That gives us the element of surprise and we can trap'm between us."

He looks at the group.

"Hmm. Maybe Gwen and me in here, Gwen all dragonborn'd out and muttering. Me hunkered under a blanket on a chair. You and the rest out there, preferably with the elder back in sanctuary."

"Waddaya think?"
Last edited by Rodgeir on Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:00 am

Merric tries to contact the potential body floating in the water with his mind to see if it reacts before Korrik pokes it. Just a friendly greeting. He's fine with Kal's suggestion to get onto land.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:17 am

"I understand the problem, but do you really believe they will be so convenient as to all approach from one direction? Out there we would have a higher chance of running into the kobolds. And I quite frankly couldn't be part of the flanking force regardless, as I lack darkvision. I am certainly not going to leave the two of you to gather their focus, regardless."

"...To be honest, I feel our only good chance it to retreat to the druids' grove, but I can't agree to squandering their gift by bringing strangers with us, nor can I consent to abandoning anyone to the mercy of others. If somebody could get to the druids to receive permission and get back to us without risk of discovery by the little dragonkin, that would be acceptable, but I'll not have anyone finding themselves appearing in the midst of a raiding party."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:15 am

Varsk shrugs,

"Well if you want to run let's run. Send the druid," nods to Syli, "to ask for permission to bring these two back."

"If they say no we need other options. We can put you and Gwen in the hut with a lap and I and Syli can do the ambushing."

He turns to Vaceran,

"You able to fight?"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:24 am

Lizard Group

Merric reaches out to the floating body with his mind, but there's no reply. Artho and Kal maneuver the anoe over to the thing and Korrik pokes it with his staff, rolling it over to reveal what appears to be the charred corpse of small humanoid-like creature. It's about the same size as a halfling or gnome, but hard to identify given its badly burned state. It looks similar-ish to the size of the creature Merric saw walk past their camp last night. There is a silver pendant of some sort hanging around the thing's neck.

Druid Group

The group discuss their strategy options for a bit while the elf makes his herbal brew. As he finishes, he pours some into a cup and smells it, adding a couple of pinches of something else and bringing it over to the old dragonborn, who is growing distressed again. Apparently all the strange voices and loud discussions are in fact a disturbance to him.

Before Vaceran can dose the old man, Varsk steps forward.

"You able to fight?"

He looks pale again suddenly.

"I - Not really, no. I can hunt well enough... I have a bow and a few arrows I keep in the roofspace so this one won't find them and hurt himself. ...or me. I need to give him this tea now. Just know... He can be aggressive and... violent... sometimes when he's upset. He was this morning, which is why I gave him the milk to make him sleep. He's stronger than he looks. So please, go back to the garden a bit and give us some space. I don't want him getting hurt, which means I don't want him putting you in the position where you feel like you have to defend yourselves from him or something."

((Since you've all expressed a great deal of suspicion over this guy and his intentions, I'll let you decide if you want to do anything before he gives the old dragonborn the medicinal tea))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:28 pm

"Well once you are done bringin' him back from dreamland you can go grab your bow and arrow."

He watches distractedly from through the window as Vaceran administers the tea. He is still mainly keeping his eye on the swamp surroundings.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:34 pm

((if you're staying round the back, you won't be able to see anything from there. There's a whole hut between you and the porch, and the old dragonborn is sat to one side))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:34 pm

Gwen goes to the dragonborn. "I want to make sure that it'll be okay. I don't want you to get hurt either."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:55 pm

((Ah, okay. I had pictured the window at the back letting him see through the hut and out the door to where the old dragonborn was sitting on the porch. It makes sense he isn't right in front of the open door either way. My bad for not asking.

Hmm. Varsk is staying around the back. The whole waking the dragonborn is secondary to not dying for him.

How large is the clearing around the hut and what kind of terrain is it? Is there any cover obstacles before the tree line?))