The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri May 24, 2019 10:31 am

"Thric!" Shossk literally hisses, snatching Locke's paws away from the door. "Suiaerl-... arcane deffenses."

Shossk leans in closer, only then noticing the anomaly. "False keyholes. To deter inntruders? How, then, to enter?" He steps back, staring at the recessed 'keyholes', tilting his elongated head. This was the secondary entrance reserved for non-magical temple staff. So it stands to reason that there was a non-magical means of entry. So what was the method they used, if not the apparent keyholes? Are there other keyholes hidden somewhere? Or are the apparent keyholes true, requiring a magical trinket to unlock?

Shossk contemplates the secondary entrance, trying to recall doors to elven ruins similar to this one that might grant him insight.
History check on how to open secondary Temple door (w/ Guidance):
1d20+4 = [3] = 7
1d4 = [2] = 2

Not much comes to him, however. Shossk hadn't concerned himself much with non-magical entrances before.

He wonders if Locke would have more expertise, perhaps? "Do you knnow of another means to enter? Kecuala, aso nomeno calti," Shossk places a clawed hand on his companion's shoulder, granting him some small clarity of mind with his Guidance, "and may They ease your ssearch."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri May 24, 2019 10:43 am

Varsk gives an appreciative chuckle as he walks over to the javelin and picks it up again,

"You and me are gonna have some fun. Got some bastards to introduce you to."

He says the activation word again and tosses it to gauge how many throws it has.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri May 24, 2019 10:56 am

Varsk throws it again, and the javelin thunks solidly into the ground, without the lightning.

Shossk doesn't know much, but surmises there is probably another, real lock somewhere. Elves liked their jokes it seems.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri May 24, 2019 12:24 pm

Scooping the javelin up Varsk heads back to see what the plan is for the day.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri May 24, 2019 12:31 pm

Korrik stops cavorting about, and waits for the leaders of this expedition to proceed.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri May 24, 2019 12:40 pm

"I guess we should proceed along the ledge. But we need to be careful. It will be slippery, and we do not want to fall into whatever is down there. We can use my rope to help anchor each other."
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri May 24, 2019 2:53 pm

((the ledge is about 5 feet ahead and about 10 feet above you with a hole below that smells bad. Imagine a giant, paper shredder in a cave, only with a gelatinous cube instead of shredders. If you want to proceed onwards, I'll take suggestions on how. It looks like a tricky, but not impossible, climb up but falling would be pretty bad))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri May 24, 2019 3:24 pm

"If you give me one end, I can try to get across, then maybe anchor it over there?"

((Not sure if I'm picturing things well enough to know if this is a Very Dumb Idea™, but willing to give Acrobatics a try if I can? Maybe with a boost up by the strong guys?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri May 24, 2019 5:03 pm

"It is perhaps for the best that it only worked once. I somehow doubt the druids will approve of demolishing their grove."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri May 24, 2019 9:20 pm

<Why isn't it's kind welcome here? I know very little of my own patron.>

Gwen gives a mental sigh. <I wanted to ask it a favor....A way to protect my friends and keep them alive. I was hoping to reason with it.>

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat May 25, 2019 12:13 am

"Ya, probably but couple more times woulda been nice. So we just gonna sit here an' wait for them? What was the deal with the staff? Shoot lightning?"

He finds a shady, dry spot and goes through his bag for the poisoning materials to see what he salvaged and what he can do while he waits.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat May 25, 2019 1:55 am

"I'm trying to work that out, but it's providing some difficulties in doing so."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sat May 25, 2019 9:13 am

Locke takes a step back, tilting his head up to take in the vine-covered ruin.

"Well...roof's always a good option. You stay here, keep checking these doors. Be back in a min."

Once he finds a clear path up, Locke starts scaling the old stones, his sharp claws finding tiny crevasses and giving him grip where there would otherwise be none.
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat May 25, 2019 9:41 am

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat May 25, 2019 10:51 am

Shossk stares in Locke's direction as he ascends. Not exactly what the lizard man had in mind, but perhaps it will yield results regardless.

He returns his attention back to the doors. If the apparent keyholes are not the means of ingress then where else would a keyhole likely be? Perhaps it is not on the door itself? He decides to examine the outer edges of the entrance, looking for some kind of mechanism leading to the doors from elsewhere.

Investigation/Perception around edges of secondary entrance (w/ Guidance):
1d20+4 = [7] = 11
1d4 = [4] = 4

(15 total. Investigation and Perception have the same bonus, so whichever is needed here.)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun May 26, 2019 4:31 am

Druid Group
Mehriv contemplates the strange staff for a while, as Gwen continues to meditate. He is able to discern that it seems not be be made of bone, but rather something more like ivory - from a large tooth or tusk perhaps?

The same sense of dread creeps through his claws as he holds the staff, but he isn't able to find the source. He figures out that the staff, once attuned to a wielder, can cast Acid Splash at will. He also senses far more potential in the staff, but it is too hard for him to pin down.

As he ponders, some forgotten thought pops to mind and he also remembers that Aschel (the name mentioned by Valemgadro last night) was the name given to an ancient trickster dragon, who would regularly play tricks and annoy his kin with jokes and mischief. It is an old-fashioned name now, but a number of draconic words are derived from it and usually mean something related to nonsense and trickery.

Gwen:
► Show Spoiler
---------------------------------

Lizard Group
Korrik can totally tie off to a rope and attempt the climb. It's a bit of a slippery slope leading down towards this slime-hole, but if he gets the timing right he can jump to the wall and pull himself up.

So: Acrobatics then Athletics please :)

-----------------------

Temple Group

I'll take an athletics check from Locke. The stonework is extremely well put together and there's hardly any purchase between the stones but there's enough plant life to make the scramble maybe a bit easier.

((I'll deal with Shossk when I have lockes roll))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun May 26, 2019 5:11 am

Mehr frowns down at the staff, then chuckles to himself, "So is that what he was saying? That's why I have different powers? Well, if that's the case, then so be it. The others won't accept it, but I still bear the heritage of the Dragons."

Standing, Mehr stretches, offering a shrug to Varsk, "Seems like this thing's probably cursed, since I can't pin down where the source of the dread is. Only casts Acid Splash after attunement, which is a rather unimpressive spell by most accounts. Made of a horn or tooth, probably, so to be this size it must be made from a large being... Perhaps from a tooth of the evil dragon's remains? It would be highly improbable, though... Shame that I can't pinpoint the sense of dread, or we could sell it for a hefty sum as a collector's item."

When Gwen's finished with her meditation, Mehr holds up the staff, "Don't attune to it, I believe it's evil. But if your patron wants to eat this staff or... Whatever it may be that such a thing does, then it might be the best way to dispose of it, unless the druid council wants it."
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun May 26, 2019 7:03 am

"Keep hold of it, and pull me up if I fall!"

Acrobatics:1d20+6 = [16] = 22
Athletics:1d20 = [4] = 4
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun May 26, 2019 7:23 am

<Don't get me wrong, I don't want to upset it. I had found something I thought it might want, and was going to offer it to it. I was hoping to exchange some of the power I currently have with something like healing. Or a better way to protect my friends.>

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:30 am

"Wait, let me go with you! We'll know just when you are about to slip then."

Merric will take the end of the rope and touch Korrik to join his mind. He'll sit down and be ready to pull the rope if he feel Korrik is slipping. He might not pull efficiently, but at least the others will be able to feel it before Korrik flies past them.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun May 26, 2019 8:08 am

"Probably can still sell it. Tell people its from a dragon or some such bullshit."
Last edited by Rodgeir on Sun May 26, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:38 am

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun May 26, 2019 1:25 pm

► Show Spoiler
Gwen wakens and Mehriv presents her with the strange staff.

------------------------------------------------

Lizard Group

Korrik toes the rope around him while Merric hugs him ((are you allowing the link?)) then leaps off the edge and slides down the short slope and perfectly times his leap towards the wall and the ledge, but he can't find purchase on the wall and falls... Dex save if you want to try and save yourself.

-----------------------------------------------

Temple Group

Locke easily scales the building and finds himself on an gently-sloping roof. The tangled vines reach up here, and creep a little over the edge of the roof. In the centre of the roof, he finds a large roof window, covered in a few old leaves and dirt and twigs where they've accumulated in the rough parts of the window. There are no obvious latches, but it is in this shape:
► Show Spoiler
Below, dim sunlight illuminates a dusty, grey stone floor about 15 feet below.

Shossk checks the doorway and after a couple of minutes of searching finds a recessed latch hidden in the side of the doorframe. It looks like a small lever, and he should be able to activate it just fine if he wants.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun May 26, 2019 1:53 pm

thinkslogically wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:25 pm ((are you allowing the link?))
((Somewhat begrudgingly.))

1d20+6 = [9] = 15
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun May 26, 2019 2:26 pm

Korrik slips, but managed to leap back from the wall and pull the rope tight as he jumps towards the others. He catches himself on the rope as he thumps hard into the ground and his burned hand sends a burst of pain through his arm to the elbow.

Eyes watering, he and they others pull him back up to the starting point, ready to try again if he wants.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Sun May 26, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.