The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:17 pm

((was Korrik going to try throwing any of the sticks?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:31 pm

((Sorry, I'm thinking that the parrot is too close to the guard post to reasonably scare it off without tipping my hand? I misread it initially and thought it was closer to me. If the former is the case, I'll leave it be for now and sneak back to the others, to see what the guards said.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:36 pm

((You would have to get a good roll, but it's not impossible. Rather than attacking, you might even be able to make a more discreet lob at the bird just to make it go away.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:01 pm

((Would said sticks be small enough that I'd be able to use DEX instead of STR to toss it parrotward?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:03 pm

Kal thinks back to his forest training to figure out how to get a parrot to move.

1D20+3 = [1]+3 = 4
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:02 pm

((sure, Dex is fine. A more gentle, accurate throw is more like playing darts or some carnival game rather than trying to explode the parrot with raw strength))

Kal draws a complete blank. Fire, maybe?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:07 pm

Meh.

Twig Tossing at Parrot: 1D20+4 = [9]+4 = 13

((I was treating that as an improvised weapon attack, if I was able to find a twig approximating a dart enough to count as such for my proficiency, there'd be a +2 on that.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:51 am

Syli glances at the others just standing about. "Well, there's only one way to find out." She says, starting east toward where the trees are thinning.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:01 am

((no stress! I've also been super busy lately, and struggling to get on the forums as much as usual))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:56 am

Yep, onward toward the lighter area.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:40 am

Varsk never actually stopped moving towards the shiny spot.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:49 am

Druid Group

Varsk doesn't pay much attention to the boulders beyond a passing shove, as he heads towards the brighter area of the forest. The stone feels like stone, and doesn't budge. However, his handprint remains visible on the surface for a few seconds after he removes it.

Syli follows on, and the group leave the strange boulders behind ((unless Mehr / Gwen wanted to hang around with them for longer?))

After a few hundred metres, the trees begin to clear a bit, and you find yourselves standing on the edge of a steep, rocky cliff, looking down on what appears to be a large, deep pool about 45 feet below you. The water looks crystal clear. Large carvings of humanoids and animals have been carved into the sides of the pool, and appear to overlook the water. Otherwise, the cliffsides are rocky, wet, rather overgrown, and crumbly.

----------------------------------------------------------

Lizard Group

Korrik lobs a stick at the annoying bird. It bounces off a couple of branches, then lands close enough to startle the creature off its perch and it flutters off. It doesn't go too far away, but it's certainly a little easier to hear the speakers now, and they don't seem to have noticed anything weird.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:56 am

I keep listening for a few minutes longer (unless something happens to interrupt that), hoping that Merric is faithfully translating. ((I think... again, can't recall what Korrik knows, and what I know only OOC.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:20 pm

Varsk will wipe his hand on his pants after touching the rock, you know just in case.

Varsk mutters,

"Guessin' we're here."

He looks for an easy way down that will require the minimum amount of climbing.

Easy way down?: 1D20+4 = [7]+4 = 11

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:27 pm

Varsk thinks there might be a slightly easier way down past the engraving of the tiger's head. The rocks look a bit more jagged and there are a couple of little scrubby trees that could be used for handholds. The whole thing looks prety precarious though, and absolutely none of it would be an easy climb.

((Just FYI - there aren't any ledges around the pool that you can see to stand on. If you get down there, it's just cliff and water))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:39 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:I keep listening for a few minutes longer (unless something happens to interrupt that), hoping that Merric is faithfully translating. ((I think... again, can't recall what Korrik knows, and what I know only OOC.))
((I'll assume Merric is still listening and Kal is still translating))

"...never the dark god."
"No choice left. This is not traditional."

A pause.

"Go then. Fortune be good."

There is a minor burst of activity and a lizardfolk drops down from the tree, and looks around cautiously before melting into the undergrowth and heading off towards the southeast in the direction you were also heading. The creature is hurrying away from where you believe their settlement is.

--------------------------------------------------

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:27 pm

I'll slink back and report to the others.

((So one went in the direction we were headed, but there is a settlement here that the other one is remaining on guard at?))

"Any idea what they were talking about? Did we go far enough for these to be the maybe friendly ones?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:42 pm

((No, you're at a guard post which is where one lizard guy is apparently staying put. After the recall signal sounded, you've seen a few patrols heading in that direction and Artho tells you it's the direction he believes their main settlement / war camp is in.

From what you saw, they are the same race with the same markings as all the lizards you've been fighting so far))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:54 pm

thinkslogically wrote: The creature is hurrying away from where you believe their settlement is.
thinkslogically wrote:After the recall signal sounded, you've seen a few patrols heading in that direction and Artho tells you it's the direction he believes their main settlement / war camp is in.
((Think the "hurrying away" part confused me, so they are headed TOWARDS it?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:55 pm

((Ah okay, good to know about there not being a beach down there.))

To Syli,

"Yer friends gonna come out and chat or what?"

He starts looking around for unnaturally large critter tracks or signs of recent use all around the pool.

(What is the pool's diameter? I am not picturing anything huge, but if it puts him outside say 50-75 meters from where the group are standing he won't look any further.))

Looking for tracks/signs of recent visits: 1D20+2 = [15]+2 = 17

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:13 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
thinkslogically wrote: The creature is hurrying away from where you believe their settlement is.
thinkslogically wrote:After the recall signal sounded, you've seen a few patrols heading in that direction and Artho tells you it's the direction he believes their main settlement / war camp is in.
((Think the "hurrying away" part confused me, so they are headed TOWARDS it?))
If the settlement is to the NE, the guy is heading SW. I forgot exactly what directions you were all moving in, but hopefully that's clearer.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:34 pm

((Ok, thanks. Mostly wanting to make sure we don't go stumbling into the middle of their town....))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:39 pm

((nah, don't worry - you've been moving steadily and deliberately away from there for most of the day, and (based on what Artho said), you probably weren't that close to it to begin with. There's just been a lot of patrols and activity lately, making them unusually dangerous))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:43 pm

"So, what do you guys think... sounds like there's only one in the guardpost, if we leave him be, we should go the long way around, or we could try to take him out... but if we botch it, he might call others down on us."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:47 pm

((You can also assume that Korrik is up to speed on what was translated. Artho would have told him if no-one else did))