The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by WearsHats » Tue May 08, 2018 3:12 pm

"What do you know of the false god? Are you a cleric of a different god? Will you help us against the false one?"
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue May 08, 2018 7:39 pm

If the druid doesn't respond in Common, Mehr makes another suggestion, [Maybe Draconic? Considering the local lizardmen use this language, it may be more familiar?]
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed May 09, 2018 1:18 am

While Syli and Mehr are testing the strange man's language comprehension skills Varsk will give him a solid once to get a general impression of his attitude but also to take anything that could be of danger or of interest to himself (i.e. weapons, wearing/scarring of hands that would indication occupation, overt talking to trees and so on).

Looking at the druidy guy (not the short one): 1D20+4 = [11]+4 = 15

((If it is better as investigation the roll becomes a 14))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 09, 2018 4:53 am

((will get you guys an update shortly :) ))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 09, 2018 3:51 pm

Druid Group

Mehriv approaches the large man talking to Syli.

"My greetings, friend. My companion may already have told you of this, but we have need to request help of any who will listen. There has recently been violence between the city folk and at least one local group of lizardmen, which is our cause for being here. I am sure under normal circumstances this would be of no concern to you or your kin, but of what I have seen since arriving here, there are ill tidings. Murmurings of a new object of worship, and lizardmen who bear diseased flesh, seemingly taken from another and planted into themselves. I do not claim great knowledge of what this entails for the balance of things - be it the spiritual changes for a new focus of worship or the physical of what seems to be disease willingly spread, but I do worry."

The man frowns, staring hard at Mehriv for just long enough that Syli begins to offer druidic translations, and Mehriv starts again in Draconic. He raises a hand to stop them continuing.

"Are you sure? The lizardfolk tribes have lived in balance for many lifetimes. ...Perhaps you misunderstood what you saw? Your kind don't often care for such things.

Varsk wanders over and watches the large man. His hands are callused and he is very obviously muscled. He also has a certain poise about him, suggesting to Varsk that this man may well be a fast, powerful warrior if threatened.

Gwen meanwhile tries not to feel too embarrassed by the peals of laughter emanating from the little gnomish bard. Gasping for air, he finally responds:

"Oh! Oh! My sides! If Sir Bard is what you call me, then Sir Bard I shall be! Sir Bard, who sings to the trees and dances in the grass!"

----------------------------------------------

The Lizard Group

"So do you know where they keep this false god? Proving it false would undoubtedly return things to normal."
"Where could anyone keep a god? I do not know. All I know is that the softskins are taken upriver to the east. I do not know where."

"What do you know of the false god? Are you a cleric of a different god? Will you help us against the false one?"
The creature growls and looks confused.

"Help YOU? Against a god!? You have been in the sun too long, softskin.

I know little enough. They say its blood will purify us and give us great strength! That it will harden our flesh, and sharpen our claws. I have seen nothing but sickness and death. They say its voice brings focus and freedom from pain. I have heard nothing but silence. Perhaps I am unworthy of it, or perhaps I simply do not wish to see it. I am no "cleric", but I already have a god."

He opens his fist and shows the bone-carved statuette of a humanoid crocodilian.

"It is death to keep such things now."

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed May 09, 2018 5:26 pm

Kal thinks back to the lizard people he knew back home, and to his training in religious and natural lore, to see what he can remember about the things the lizard described and his crocodile god.

(Not sure where else to go with this. Didn't our NPC friend have the idea in the first place? What was his plan?)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 09, 2018 5:33 pm

((Ah ok, gotcha. His problem is more with what's happening to his clan, and to try and help them rather than any desire to try and destroy the god itself))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed May 09, 2018 8:53 pm

Mehr shakes his head, "I can say little with certainty. The lizards here have gone long without creating all but war with city dwellers, as well, but that too has changed. These things I talk of, they are certainly strange to me. I would not claim to understand nearly so much are you and your kin, but... I am a sorcerer, and we have an understanding of balance ourselves, though on a smaller scale than you would know. The creation of magic is merely a sequence of actions which momentarily alter the balance of energies to create an effect, at least in the method sorcerers use, so I am not entirely lacking in understanding. Still, it is possible I am mistaken. The only certain facts I can give you are that the lizardmen seem to have become more violent recently, compared to what I have been told of, and that what I have seen following encounters with them has made me feel unsettled... Perhaps it is not all of the lizardmen involved here, but a small sect?"

"... Did we bring the amulet, or any samples of the scales? Or were those left with the others? If we have anything to be examined by our more knowledgeable hosts, it could lead to a better understanding."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu May 10, 2018 8:36 am

((Syli might have picked up something at the battle, but I think Korrik has the scale? I might be misremembering tho.

I'll take a knowledge roll for Kal (your choice of nature / religion etc). ))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu May 10, 2018 12:08 pm

((Didn't Korrik have the blood? Not sure that Syli gave up the scale. Varsk was in a tree.

Edit: Went back and confirmed that Syli dug out a few scales and doesn't appear to have handed them all off. She also saw the tattoo of the eye symbol that the druid guy might recognize. Varsk missed all of this as he was already off on his solo adventure.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu May 10, 2018 12:53 pm

((I put it on myself... not sure if I kept it after?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu May 10, 2018 1:16 pm

((gotcha! I'll do a quick archive dive when I'm back on a computer, but that sounds right. I know Korrik had the one with the bloody fingerprint and then hurt himself)).

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu May 10, 2018 5:56 pm

Gwen grins and continues to ham it up. "Oh brave Sir Bard, I have a query. Would your team aid us against the dangerous lizardmen that are kiddnapping and killing people?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri May 11, 2018 12:33 pm

((Wasn't the thing that Korrik used to burn himself an idol we got off the first group we fought up in the trees?))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri May 11, 2018 12:39 pm

((I think it was bone... I'll need to double check))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri May 11, 2018 3:20 pm

Ok: Syli has some scales & this is where she describes what you've found:
https://goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... es#p249216

Korrik had a bone token with a fingerprint on it (now including his own), and his thumb hurts.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sat May 12, 2018 8:33 pm

If the druid didn't speak in common, Syli once again translates for Mehriv. However, she then adds her own two coppers to the conversation. "The lizardfolk are definitely dabbling in something unsettling," she says, unslinging her pack and beginning to dig through it to find the scales again. "We were attacked by a hunting party of 'em not overly far from here, they were chasing a human girl belonging to one of the local camps when we intervened. After the dust settled and we got our tracks covered, I noticed that the lizardfolk had what I first thought were just diseased scales, and the surrounding flesh seemed to agree... till I noticed they were hard as armor, and that each body with those scales had a symbol of an eye drawn onto their throat. And while each had patches of these scales on a different part of their body, the patterns looked almost deliberate, like an adornment." Syli hands over one of the scales for the druid's appraisal.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun May 13, 2018 10:41 am

Druid Group

((He's speaking common, you're good))

"I can say little with certainty. The lizards here have gone long without creating all but war with city dwellers, as well, but that too has changed. These things I talk of, they are certainly strange to me. I would not claim to understand nearly so much are you and your kin, but... I am a sorcerer, and we have an understanding of balance ourselves, though on a smaller scale than you would know. The creation of magic is merely a sequence of actions which momentarily alter the balance of energies to create an effect, at least in the method sorcerers use, so I am not entirely lacking in understanding. Still, it is possible I am mistaken. The only certain facts I can give you are that the lizardmen seem to have become more violent recently, compared to what I have been told of, and that what I have seen following encounters with them has made me feel unsettled... Perhaps it is not all of the lizardmen involved here, but a small sect?"

"... Did we bring the amulet, or any samples of the scales? Or were those left with the others? If we have anything to be examined by our more knowledgeable hosts, it could lead to a better understanding."

Syli rummages in her pack and pulls out the black scales, handing one of them off to the large druid.

"We were attacked by a hunting party of 'em not overly far from here, they were chasing a human girl belonging to one of the local camps when we intervened. After the dust settled and we got our tracks covered, I noticed that the lizardfolk had what I first thought were just diseased scales, and the surrounding flesh seemed to agree... till I noticed they were hard as armor, and that each body with those scales had a symbol of an eye drawn onto their throat. And while each had patches of these scales on a different part of their body, the patterns looked almost deliberate, like an adornment."

The man frowns as he listens. When he sees the black scale, his eyes grow a little wider... and he glares hard at Syli.

"This... this cannot be. Follow me, all of you. The others need to hear of this."

He turns and takes half a step then turns back to face you all. Whatever joviality was on his face earlier is completely gone, and replaced by an intimidating glare as he towers above you all.

"If you are lying, or this is some kind of trick, they will know it, and they will not find it funny. If this is just some strange joke, it would be better for you if you admit it now."

"Oh brave Sir Bard, I have a query. Would your team aid us against the dangerous lizardmen that are kiddnapping and killing people?"

Gwen continues to address the gnome, but his attention seems to have been captured by the conversation happening through the trees, as the large druid's demeanor shifts and becomes suddenly serious.

------------------------------------------

Lizard Group

Kal ponders what he knows about the lizardfolk.

Religion: 1D20+1 = [18]+3 = 21

Nature: 1D20+3 = [4]+3 = 7

He remembers learning something about their religion from a chatty old trader once, who spoke at length about the crocodile god named Semuanya. This god was often depicted as a massive lizardfolk with a crocodilian head, and was often depicted with prey in his mouth (representing survival and hunting prowess), or inside a nest or egg (symbolising fertility). At their core, he said, these abilities were what lizardfolk should strive to achieve in themselves. Nothing more is needed in life, he said, and a good life can be measured by its length and a large family. He once showed you his own totem, which he said was unique to him. Apparently, followers of Semuyana take a bone from their first kill and carve it into a likeness of the god. The totem then serves to guide that individual for the rest of their lives, and can never be replaced.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun May 13, 2018 11:53 am

Varsk grips the haft of his maul at the sudden change in attitude.

"You honestly think we'd wander days through a swamp to a place we don't know to meet folks we don't know to joke with'm?

We ain't jokin' or lyin' to you so best you take us to your... council? An' we'll get this sorted. Lives depend on us."

And a very large reward, he adds in his head.

He considers his audience for a second before adding,

"And maybe the entire balance of this swampy wonderland."

He gives the big fella a grim look.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun May 13, 2018 12:19 pm

Gwen looks to where the gnome is looking, listening on the conversation. "Why would we go into all of the effort of lying to strangers for no benefit?"

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun May 13, 2018 2:12 pm

When the druid levels his threat, his glare is met with a glare from Syli. She inhales in preparation for a retort... before seemingly thinking better of it and simply growling, "If it's a trick, it's not one of mine, nor one of theirs," indicating the party with a jerk of her head.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun May 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Mehr silently follows the large druid, letting the others do their protesting.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun May 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Druid Group

The group make their protestations of their honesty to the large man. He simply shrugs and turns away, keeping the black scale clenched tightly in his massive fist. Mehriv says nothing, and simply follows along. Sir Bard the gnome scampers after the group, apparently curious to see what all the fuss is about.

Lizard Group

((Do you guys have more you want to do, or do you want to continue onwards?))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun May 13, 2018 6:34 pm

Druid Group

The group make their protestations of their honesty to the large man. He simply shrugs and turns away, keeping the black scale clenched tightly in his massive fist. Mehriv says nothing, and simply follows along. Sir Bard the gnome scampers after the group, apparently curious to see what all the fuss is about.

Lizard Group

((Do you guys have more you want to do, or do you want to continue onwards?))

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun May 13, 2018 6:53 pm

Syli slowly follows after the druid.