The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by WearsHats » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:04 am

Safely at their destination, Kal relaxes down from "hunting party" mode and allows himself to be a tourist again. He takes a good look around the inn...

Perception: 1 + 1 = critfail
► Show Spoiler
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:25 am

*Ah sorry, I was sure I had read that some place...
Ah,i was thinking of Passive score... my bad...

Any ways.

Darr├╝k, now having a base idea of what direction to go in picks up his speed.
Better not let them get into to many problems, as he believes them to be fully capable of.
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:54 am

LAYF, I replied in OOC :)

Wears - I'll come up with something :lol: Were you looking for anything in particular?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:12 am

No, he doesn't know what he's looking for. Just looking around, because it's a new place with new people and he wants to see what he can learn. Apparently, not much. :p
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:36 am

Gwen Looks around half heartily, trying to look for the contact. She gets a bit bored and sits down at an empty table, casting minor illusion to entertain herself. She makes a tiny dancer on the table, casting it every six seconds for the next image. It's not fluid in kovement but it will do.
Per: 1D20+1 = [7]+1 = 8

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:41 am

I look around for an open table, and have a seat.

When a server passes by, "Good morning! I know that I at least would like some breakfast, and if I could have a few moments of conversation with the owner, that would be greatly appreciated as well."

Clasping their hand in thanks, I slip three silver into their palm and smile.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:00 pm

Syli excuses herself and heads over to the well to refill her flask and splash some cool water in her face. From there, she pauses to observe the crowd a little bit. The preaching man seems to have used up his allotted time on the platform and is ushered away to make room for a gaudily-dressed halfling who steps up and begins a juggling act for the crowd's amusement. She watches him for a little bit, before a nervous young boy standing near the centre of the square catches her eye. He looks like he might be lost, but so far no-one has offered to help... In fact, a couple of people seem to actively avoid him.

Mehriv, Kal, Gwen and Korrik head inside the Dancing Minstrel. The place is fairly busy for the time of day, but you seem to have arrived between breakfast and lunch and are able to find a large table to fit you all quite easily. With the window shutters closed to keep out the heat of the day, the place is rather dark compared to the beautiful sunshine outside and smells strongly of stale ale, tobacco smoke and cooking meat. A few other groups are already here, talking quietly amongst themselves or enjoying a late breakfast.

Kal once again tries to absorb everything about the Inn, but his companions drag him to a table near the bar before his eyes are properly able to adjust to the dull light.

Gwen casts around looking for whoever it was they were supposed to meet, but doesn't see anyone she recognises so instead entertains herself by playing with a small illusion.

Korrik waits a few moments for a tired-looking teenage serving-boy before stopping the lad and pressing three silver into his hand.

"Good morning! I know that I at least would like some breakfast, and if I could have a few moments of conversation with the owner, that would be greatly appreciated as well."

The boys eyes widen in amazement at the generous tip he's just been given before stammering out a reply:

"Of course sir! Bren- I mean Master Oakfast, is just in the kitchen, I'll ask him to come right away!"

The boy rushes to the backroom and disappears. It would appear that the clientele here are not generous with their money.

After a few moments, a tall, dark-haired human man steps out of the backroom, cleaning his hands on a dishrag as he cheerfully strides to your table.

"Good morning! Sam tells me you were looking to see me. I hope he hasn't caused you any problems already?"

A clatter from the kitchens punctuates Bren's last remark and he sighs.

"Brothers, especially TEENAGE brothers are a nightmare. So, before he sets the kitchens on fire again, why don't you tell me what I can do for you?"

The door to the bar swings open, letting a burst of bright sunshine flood through the door and Darruk arrives. He casts around for a moment, but finds you all easily enough and joins the table.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:13 pm

I stand to my full nearly three feet and nod a quick greeting in the owner's direction. "Indeed! Having been a teenage brother myself, I know the sort of mischief one can get into. However, the lad... Sam was it? ...was quite pleasant and helpful. We'd like to inquire whether some documents intended for us have been left here by an associate. They likely would have been addressed to Mehriv Turajin," I hold a hand out in Mehr's direction, "Or possibly Korrik Tallpine?", as I indicate myself.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:20 pm

Seeing everyones faces and hearing the direction of the conversation Darr├╝k gathers that he came just in time. Satisfied with not having missed anything he simply sits down and listens.
When Korrik receives his food, Darr├╝k feels his own Tommy rumbles and asks the boy for some food and drink.
"Ay lad, how much do ya charge a meal n' some ale?"
Paying the price plus a silver he then sits back, waits for his meal while listening (and eating if it arrives)
-Best regards LAYF

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:08 pm

"Ah, friend Darr├╝k! How was your sight seeing?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:10 pm

Korrik: "Oh! Of course, that's right! I wasn't sure your boat was ever going to make it up here before the tide changed at midsummer, but it seems you made it after all. Give me a moment to wash my hands and I'll fetch your things.

The man you assume is Bren disappears through the back again. A few moments later, Sam returns with a plate of smoked fish, eggs and bread for Korrik. It tastes a little over-spiced and there are small pieces of (hopefully) eggshell in the meal, but it's mostly decent. Darruk (and anyone else who's hungry) orders himself some breakfast for 2sp and the boy is kept busy fetching plates back and forth while you wait for Bren.

[[I'll update again when the others have had a chance to post, but for now at least you know you're not unexpected!]]

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:22 pm

I thank Bren as he goes to get our things, and pay the lad when he comes back with my food.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:00 pm

Gwen gets the basic breakfast for 2 sp, and starts eatting while listening on the conversation.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:02 pm

Food for the dragonlord!
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:48 pm

Syli knows that she ought to be inside with the others, but something about the boy had her curiosity piqued. A child in the streets, be it an urchin or merely wandering, was no unusual sight, but the way the adults seemed to avoid him... the others could wait, for a moment. Perhaps it was happenstance he was here at the same time as her newfound companions, but she was going to find out for sure. Shifting into the crowd, Syli carefully navigating toward him, attempting to stay out of his sight by maneuvering around the other commoners and travelers, making herself look as just part of the crowd. Loathe as she was to admit it, she was in her element, and her quiet approach was quite natural as she approached close enough to get a better read on the child.

Stealth (+5 [navigate closer to the child without alerting it or others]): 16
Insight (+3 [try to determine if there's anything that stands out about the child]): 15
[rolls]

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:27 am

Kal isn't that hungry, but is curious to try human food. He'll order breakfast.

When the servers are out of earshot, he'll ask his companions, "Is food in the city usually so expensive? Usually we just have a pot of homemade porridge for breakfast. 2 silver seems enough to feed a family."

► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:35 am

"You think so? I suppose I am inclined to... Frivolous spending, but let's see... A day's rations can come to a matter of five silver, and that's suitable for two meals as well as smaller amounts of food during breaks, so I would say that two silver is a suitable price for a meal. That the meal is more than foods which can be preserved for long amounts of time and has some flavour to it places it a step above travel rations, also, so I would say that while two silver is perhaps very slightly above the value one could have of rations, it is a good price for a decent meal."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:06 am

I shrug, "If our new place has a kitchen, with the right tools and some decent stuff from the markets, I can handle cooking for us going forward."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:29 am

"I've done some cooking, myself. But then, I don't think there's much fresh-caught game in the city."

"Once we get settled, I should see if there's a temple of <insert god here> in the city. I can offer my devotions. And father said they'd give me hospitality if I need it."

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:38 am

"Can't say as I've been all that religious, other than offering a few quick prayers to Avandra or whoever might be willing to keep me safe in a pinch. What's your god like, Kal?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:52 am

"I worship Pelor, god of light and healing. In our traditions, he teaches us to live in harmony with nature, though I know the human tradition interprets that as agriculture."

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:22 pm

The group chat over breakfast while they wait for Bren to return. Sam has all the enthusiasm that a good tip can buy from a teenage boy and he hardly gives you a moment's peace until Bren finally comes back and shoos him back into the kitchens with a gentle cuff around the ears.

"Let them eat for Pelor's sake! Sorry about the wait, our safe can be a bit temperamental sometimes! Could be worse though, eh? At least we don't have a rat problem! Here is your certificate of ownership; your traders licence and your keys are... here! I hope that's everything you were expecting? "

Mehriv gives the documents a quick look over, and they do seem to be what he asked for.

"Right, well if there's nothing else I can do for you, I'd best be getting back to the kitchen. We'll have folk arriving for lunch soon and our barman is apparently running late again... Oh! Bless me, I nearly forgot! Your broker, Holm, he's paid for two rooms for you here for a week if you want them while you fix your place up a bit. Said it was a "new client" deal or something. Anyway, let me know if you'll be wanting those. Today's a busy day and I could use the rooms if you don't!"

Outside, Syli wanders around the stalls, blending into the crowd as she moves closer to the podium to get a better and unimposing view of the boy. Now that she's closer, she can see that the boys clothes aren't quite as fine as they seemed from a distance and have worn patches on the elbows and cuffs. As she watches, the boy suddenly bursts into tears and throws his arms around an unsuspecting middle-aged woman who had been bartering at one of the stalls, wailing that he's just come off a ship and has lost his family. The woman seems quite perturbed by the whole affair, but she barely has time to ask what they look like before the boy apparently spots them and takes off across the square. The woman shakes her head and turns back to her purchase before turning and shouting after the boy! It would seem the boy was a thief...

-------------------------------

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:54 pm

"I think we'd like to have a look at things first and decide whether we can make due there, or if we'll need the rooms, if that'd be alright. Once we decide, I'll be sure to let you know so you can fill them if we'll not be staying with you."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:32 pm

"How many beds are available in these two rooms? We're going to have to house several persons."
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:36 pm

"Well, theres two bunks in each room, so eight in total. ...Um... How many folk were you planning on bringing here?"