The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:25 am

I am dipping after lv 3, and I am still unsure if I will.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:47 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:I am dipping after lv 3, and I am still unsure if I will.
Since I'm not sure how well you're able to access book materials, Bard gains:

1st Level: 1 new skill proficiency, 1 instrument proficiency, 2 new cantrips, 4 new spells (from a bigger list than Warlocks have), 2 1st level slots, Bardic Inspiration.

2nd Level: 1 new spell, 3 1st level slots, Jack of All trades (1/2 prof to "untrained" skills), Song of Rest,

3rd Level: 1 new spell, 4 1st level slots, 2 2nd level slots (you only would have the 2 2nd level slots from Warlock, so this would give your 4 at each level), Expertise (double prof in 2 skills), proficiency in 3 more skills, Cutting Words.

So, by Lore Bard, you'd gain proficiency in 4 more skills, so you'd be proficient in 9 of the 18 possible, two of which you'd then be doubling your proficiency bonus of +3 (at that point) on, and you'd also have a +1 in all the skills you aren't proficient in already. If you take Expertise in a CHA based skill (eg, Performance), you'd be rolling a d20+10 on the checks you make for it...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:28 am

...now I am really unsure if I want to stay as pure lock or have warlock as the dip. Having a 2d20+10 advantage on deception checks (with friends or actor) is a HUGE boon. And I can become super stealthy.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Like I said, I'd be inclined to take a level in ranger, but I'm just shy of the required wisdom score, and I don't get a point to spend until level 4. (And I seem to recall there was a feat I wanted to buy. I'm going to have to look back and remind myself.) So I guess I'm sticking with paladin for now.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:34 pm

This all sounds fine to me. Once you guys get past level 2 I'll start leaving options around that you can act on to reach level 3. It sounds like you're all mostly sticking with your main class at least for now so I'll probably go with that for your level 3 events.

It does mean that reaching level 3 might be more spread out than all of you getting it at once (assuming you are still living in the wilds at that point) but it gives me a framework to plan around and get you all some appropriate side stuff for that.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:50 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Gwen sighs, trying to think what to say. "We will do what we can to stop the thief. But I am pretty sure making items or enchanted fences is really expensive."
Glyph of Warding
Material Incense and powdered diamond worth at least 200 gp, the spell consumes
Yeah, 200gp per 10 ft of fence just in materials, not to mention fees for the time and energy required...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:13 pm

So I was thinking about a potential character ever since Gwen almost died, either Abjure Wiz or possibly a barb since most of our characters are kinda squishy. I don't know how well Abjure + Barb will work, so maybe Fighter (ek) + Arbjure? I have not got any solid plans yet.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:43 pm

AbjBarb would have the same issues with Rage breaking concentration on any concentration spells. A fighter with decent INT could start out by going Eldritch Knight, with pulls from Abj and Evoc, providing a good in to pursuing that path and MCing into Wiz.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:18 pm

Too much fur... Stealing honey... Oh dear god, it's not an owlbear is it? :p
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:25 pm

>:D

((I nearly killed you with rats... I guess you'd better hope it's a sick owlbear!))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:39 pm

That was Gwen, not Mehriv that nearly died. Hopefully owlbears don't have pact tactics :p

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:38 pm

Korrik has only had a chance to kill a pigeon, so I'm itching for a fight...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:15 pm

Syli's got a pretty decent combat load-out at the moment, and I'm all for giving some bear the bees-ness.

(Why yes, this was a post made for the sole purpose of that pun)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:20 pm

Well done, Nicoa.

Feel free to autopilot Kal. I don't want to hold up the game, but I'm not sure how much I'll be around in the next few weeks.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:23 am

Ok, will do.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:26 am

So to answer wears comment about which skill to use, here's my take: Perception is typically used to detect new things that are so far undetected (e.g. something unusual catches your eye, you hear the sounds of someone breathing just behind you in the dark etc); investigation is more when you're actively searching for something specific (e.g. the mechanism for a trap you just perceived; evidence of a crime; searching a treasure pile for a specific item).

Survival is the sort of skill you use to track people/animals through the wilds, find food or water, stay on track etc. Since there's an element of that here (you're in the wilds, looking for evidence of a hairy thing) I'd say survival is appropriate in that way.

Insight is like perception but applied to people or monsters to read their emotional state, threat level or intentions. Since this world is populated by a range of encounter levels (i.e. not everything you meet out there will be something you can fight against and win), you may well find insight a useful tool for getting some IC info before a fight.

Basically, I'll accept any sort of roll that makes sense for the thing you're attempting to achieve, but each type of roll will give slightly different info. Choosing the skill with the highest modifier makes metagaming sense to a point, but won't ever get you the full picture...

Also, if you ever get stuck for what to do, you can always roll a straight INT check to see if your PC has any better ideas than you do. Those will be relatively rare though! I'd rather give the whole group a chance to try stuff first :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:00 am

Sounds good to me. I'm assuming nature checks would be more "What do I know about bees and creatures that might raid their hives?" more than an active check of the current surroundings?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:08 am

Yes, anything with a basis in INT would involve some form of existing knowledge or deductive / intellectual reasoning.

I consider WIS more of an empathy / gut-feeling stat, which explains why it's the basis for insight / perception skills, but there is room for a bit of overlap if circumstances are appropriate.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:51 am

My thought on nature checks for this was looking for things like recognizable wildlife tracks and signs of anything unusual in the natural surroundings. Kal will try again near the broken fence, if he can get near without the bees attacking. I'm hoping Syli can help calm them. But right now I'm on a plane, and they're going to tell me to turn my phone off soon.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:04 am

That's pretty much exactly what it's for :)

Make another nature check for it (if you can) and we'll see what happens. For now, I'm going to let folk respond to the farmer's boy first since he's kind of in your way anyway.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:05 am

So basically Perception to notice the tracks, Nature to determine what they are, and Survival to track them through the underbrush.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:16 am

EDIT: Whoops, supposed to be in IC.

Anyway, her plan here is to create an improvised smoking device here when she starts encountering agitated bees. Druidcraft means both easy fire, and an easy way to control fire (so long as I don't let it get out of hand). Who knows, maybe I could use it to control the nature of the fire to produce more smoke as well.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:02 am

spiderwrangler wrote:So basically Perception to notice the tracks, Nature to determine what they are, and Survival to track them through the underbrush.
Yes, although since you have a good idea of approximately what you're looking for here (tracks / evidence of a burglar), I'll allow investigation as well.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:54 am

Just noticing we're not an overly bright party. Best we have is +1 INT... :roll:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:26 am

Hahaha! Yup :) you're quite a wise and charismatic bunch I think tho :)