The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:15 am

Actually, no. Gwen learned both as "races of lizardfolk" from the old gnome-druid the rest of the group met during the honey thief quest. She wanted to be able to disguise herself as either and is pretty decent at it now, especially now she's got to see some of the crested ones for real.

To clarify - all the lizardfolk you've seen so far are the smaller sort (but still medium, and still apparently lizardfolk) with the red crests. It's the big, dark green muscly ones that you haven't met yet.
(http://goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f ... me#p233466)

Those who were on the Honey-Thief quest would be familiar with both the lizardfolk "races" Gwen is talking about. Everyone is familiar with the red-crested ones because they've been trying to kill you.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:21 pm

Otherwise I think your main sources of info so far have been the Hightown Meeting, the gnome who was stealing honey, and your personal investigations in the swamp / interactions with the lizards. If I find anything else I'll point you at it, but you guys might want to make yourselves a place to keep notes about what you're learning.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:23 pm

These are the small ones? Dang.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:58 pm

Heh! Welcome to the jungle >:D

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:45 pm

We've got fun and games!
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:53 pm

We got everything you want!

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:08 pm

We are the people that can find whatever you may need!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:22 pm

If you've got the money, honey, we got your disease!

...Anyway, I've added a couple of indices to the front-page post that detail your game so far. Hopefully this help if you want to jump back to a particular point in the game and do a quick recap. I've only got to day 2 so far because oh my god there's a lot of posts, and I'm skipping dialogue (but you can skim around to find it) and will also skip battles (because they're too much), unless something of major importance happens during one.

I'll get to the next couple of game days in due course but I'm at a conference again irl so it might be sporadic. :)

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:38 pm

WearsHats wrote:
Nioca wrote:"Kal could do it," Syli says, taking and unpinning the hide and coming back to the group.
(Obviously, Kal isn't there to hear you. But I'm a little confused about what it is Syli thinks Kal can do.)
Via tracking, lead his group to Syli's group. He's in a three-way tie for being the best tracker in the group.

(Not that a +3 is something to write home about, but still. :lol: )

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:57 pm

Probs going to be tomorrow before I can update...

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:19 pm

What happens to HP after a long rest? Too tired to look it up.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:20 pm

It's restored to full, and you recover spent Hit Dice equal to half of your maximum Hit Dice.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:22 pm

Nice! Thanks.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:53 am

Korrik's latest skill check just reminded me that I don't think we've talked about how I interpret the numbers on the dice. In case you're interested, low rolls don't mean you're always getting bad information, it just means the information you get is unreliable.

The better you do on a knowledge check, the more likely you are to receive information that is accurate (within your current understanding of whatever it is), even if it's a straightforward "you have no idea". The lower the roll beneath whatever the target DC is, the more I randomise the information you might get. You could still be given correct information even with a low roll.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:52 pm

I particularly like how you included a bird singing to let Korrik know it was going to be okay!

(Unless it's the magical talking bird, in which case, holy crap it took a long time to get there... Must have rolled low on its survival.)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:39 pm

Bird probably got lost at night because it doesn't have night vision.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:12 pm

I like the idea that a character could know absolutely nothing about anything and through pure blind luck stumble upon the correct answer to everything
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:17 pm

Dlover wrote:I like the idea that a character could know absolutely nothing about anything and through pure blind luck stumble upon the correct answer to everything
Exactly. It's unlikely, but sometimes even idiots are right :lol:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:09 pm

So I've finally got a look at Xanathar's Guide to Everything. Mainly looking at Sorcerer, of course. So far...

Divine Soul seems a little interesting, but mostly not so.

Shadow Magic's last three quirks are amusing:
  • Your heart beats once per minute. This event sometimes surprises you.
  • You have trouble remembering that living creatures and corpses should be treated differently.
  • You blinked. Once. Last week.
The second one is mostly amusing because it's not like you treat living things as though they're corpses. You just forget that they should be treated differently. See a corpse? "Good day, sir, you seem to be doing rather poorly. Is there anything I could do to assist you? ... Not even responding? How rude."

Shadow Magic grants darkvision. Which would be useful when being one of the few characters without it.

Shadow Magic grants shadow teleporting. Neat.

Storm Sorcery is pretty bland until reaching level 18.

Dragon Hide is a kind of neat feat for a dragonborn sorcerer to take. Bumps AC up by 3 when unarmored and can increase Charisma (Or strength or constitution) by 1.

Human racial bonuses are limited to Prodigy which is kinda lame.

As a non-sorcerer thing, there's a spell called Revivify. Not revive, but revivify. It's in normal 5e, too. Weird na,e.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:25 pm

Heh. I had a similar thought for a necromancer, one that can't really tell a difference between the two and 'aids' corpses by raising them as undead.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:45 pm

You guys have a fair few options ahead of you at the moment, so I'll leave you some space to plan. If you've got any ooc questions re your options, feel free to ask about them - I've been living in a house of flu all week and I'm somewhat braindead.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:04 am

Sorry I haven't been around. Been pinballing around, alternating not sleeping because of travel and/or my insulin pump with being flat out exhausted trying to recover from not sleeping. Going to get maybe 4 hours of sleep before I have to wake up for the flight home tomorrow. And then a week from Tuesday I fly across the country to hang out with Thunt at ECCC...

Anyway, how much does Kal know about Lizardfolk and their politics and such?

ETA for clarification: Kal grew up in the wilds. He speaks Draconic because lizardfolk are common in the area. This doesn't seem like an obvious roll. He wouldn't know specifics of the tribes here, but what does he know of their ways more broadly?

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:32 am

Ok, the update index is finally up to date (see the bottom of post 1 / the index thread for that).

As far as I can remember / see, you have the following places in your vicinity:

Quest: Rescue Leia Morley, her husband and baby from their kidnappers.

Locations:
1. The enemy encampment (NE). This is where you've been told the lizardfolk encampment is for the clan of smallish lizardfolk with dark, purple-brown-green scales and crests. They are the lizards that have been attacking you and apparently have been capturing humanoids through this part of the swamp.

2. Trip's group- the woman Varsk met after the big battle mentioned she was part of a group run by a guy called Trip. Gwen and Syli saw a campfire burning last night in roughly the right area for it to be them.

3. The Other Clan- there is apparently another lizardfolk clan to the South where a larger race of lizardfolk have made their homes. They have traditionally been a fairly neutral group in the forest, but they've not been seen in a while and may not be happy about the current expansion of the crested lizardfolk.

4. The Fey forest- weird and magical and dangerous, but it seems the lizardfolk don't like it either.

5. Continue exploring the ruins you're in.

6. Investigate the druid's message.

((I'll update more info for Kal shortly))

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:04 pm

Waiting on info. When you're ready. I got 11.5 hours of sleep last night, so I'm focused on recovery right now.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:51 pm

Most of Kal's knowledge of lizardfolk would come from the hunters and merchants who passed through his hometown every once in a while. For the most part, they were polite and private, and were treated politely in turn. They would sometimes bring interesting or unusual things for sale, but rarely very much of it, and Kal got the impression that they were less interested in turning a profit from their efforts than simply acquiring the necessities they would need to survive.

He occasionally heard them speak of settlements further out in the swamps, but never in detail. He asked one of them explicitly about where he came from once, but received no response before his mother dragged him away telling him "Don't be rude!".

((That's what you would have started with; if you want to tell me more about how Kal responded to that event, go ahead :) ))