The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:42 pm

I'm feeling out my options :P. I will post in the main thread now!

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:58 pm

I know! That's why I'm sharing the brilliant bear plan here and not the main thread since Merric can't know that :p

Also starting to get nervous about how big this mother is..
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:00 pm

:)

Question about perception - when I roll lower perception than Varsk's passive, which takes precedent?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:12 pm

I take it as context dependent. Passive is triggered by something else making you aware of it; active is triggered by you watching for things (and maybe getting distracted or whatever). Active rolls usually take precedence, but passive DCs are usually a good bit higher than active DCs so it kind of balances out.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:20 pm

I know you guys don't have much loot right now, but you are remembering what you have, right?

<cough>Messenger bird<cough>

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:08 pm

I didn't remember we had that... but unless it operates differently from the Animal Messenger spell, we won't be able to use it directly to message Varsk, but it could allow someone going searching for him to get a message back to those of us who stay in camp.

"You specify a location , which you must have visited, and a recipient who matches a general description"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:10 pm

Messenger Bird works by using Animal Messenger on it. Animal Messenger needs the caster to specify a location which they have visited as well as the recipient. Does 'This swamp' count as the location?

Ninja'd by spider.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:56 pm

That works. Its maybe a less creepy way of keeping an eye on Gwen than invading her mind :P

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:27 pm

The way Merric says it does not help at all! :lol:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:45 am

Rodgeir - Yup, second wind only requires a bonus action and resets on a short rest, so you can do it again after any short/long rest. Fighters are tough :D

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:00 am

Also makes 1-2 levels in fighter a pretty viable multiclass dip for many builds. Second wind and Action surge are nice pickups.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:04 am

Yup, for sure. And in case anyone is considering it, the prerequisites are either 13 STR OR 13 DEX, so it's pretty open to anyone with even the vaguest hint of combat ability. As with everything though, it just depends what you'd be giving up in exchange for the dip. 5e is pretty great with class-balance, so it's never a completely easy choice.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:21 am

Yeah, it's generally a trade off between delaying main class power/abilities for multiclass utility/variety.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Merric can't help himself, he just wants to paint a picture of how it feels to use the invocation! But yeah I totally get why it becomes a clear no, despite his best intention :lol:
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:37 pm

Just made an edit asking more explicitly for actions for the "we-don't-have-darkvision" group :)

I'm going to try and keep all of you roughly on the same timeline (give or take) though.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:37 am

Varsk used a HD and a second wind at the end of his first short rest, just in case, which put him at full HP. I guess i could retcon that to hold the HD and just burn the second wind again now...

Nah... I think it is more reasonable that he would have tried to get up to full HP, even if it meant using a HD, as quickly as possible.

And completely unrelated to this and expecting that Varsk lives through the night and up to level 3 - I have a question about the Battlemaster riposte maneuver. It says that it can be used on a missed melee attack but I am wondering how it works with creatures that have multiple melee attacks, like the lizardfolk? Does the riposte mechanic only activate if all melee attacks miss or only if one misses? It seems like it would make the maneuver less valuable if it was former but I don't know.

Also related to the the third level battlemaster - He gets to pick up an artisan tool. None of the tools seems well suited to Varsk (he isn't going to take up calligraphy) so is it possible for him to have a kit instead? I'm thinking the forgers kit or the poisoners.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:54 am

As I read it, it triggers on a missed attack so it should trigger even if you are hit by two other attacks from the same opponent. But you are still limited to one riposte since you only have one reaction action each round.

Smith tools could perhaps be a good choice for a fighter?
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:23 am

That's the right reading of riposte as long a melee attack misses, you can react to strike back.

Not sure on Thinks position on expanded tool proficiency benefits from XGtE for this game, but it has a lot of interesting stuff I'm planning on including in Sundered Way, I just need to get that info around.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:55 am

Just wanted to be sure on that, it opens up a lot of chances to riposte!

Smithing tools would a good choice for a fighter in general but I don't see how they fit Varsk. Why would a middle-aged half-orc decide to start up with smithing? Doesn't really fit his personality/past experience very well. Just as well make him a mason! Forging documents and making poisons, on the other hand, would be a natural step for him.

What are the new tools rules in XGtE? I have tried to read about them but I haven't found a good summary yet.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:12 am

Yeah, neither have I. Maybe I'll toss the book in my bag and see if I have time to type up a summary in between meetings and class.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:10 am

Varsl has only had one short rest so far, and used a 2nd wind doing the battle, so this would be his first chance to use them. He took a break on the island thing before when he saw the shrine, but not long enough for a short rest.

I'm all for making tool proficiencies worthwhile, but you'll still need to learn them from somewhere. So, it won't be something that just clicks in at level 3 for some reason - it'd be something you'd need to start actively practicing and maybe find a tutor for.

As for riposting, it's a reaction and costs you one superiority die, so you can only use it once per round and only as long as you've superiority die and your reaction left to spend. It's pretty great though, I use it a lot with my fighter :D

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:43 am

Ah okay, then Varsk has already used the second wind and is working on charging up another I guess?

I was thinking with forgery/poisoning for Varsk it will have been a life long interest that he decides to take to another level. You know the occasional forged pass to the docks or mild poisoning of a colleague that can evolve into a pass into the castle or other official documents and the mass poisoning of colleagues >:D . That he suddenly is interested in making armor feels forced. But I can figure something out if I need to. It could be a chance to get in touch with Varsk's softer side.

I was clear on the reaction part of riposte just not what counted as a missed melee attack - were multiple attacks from the same creature in the same turn counted as one attack for riposte or were they counted on their own. Like with the lizardfolk that attacked and hit with the claws but missed with the bite.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:58 am

Yeah, multiattack would trigger it.

As for the skills, that's fine to have had a bit of an interest before, but taking it up a notch would require practice and/or training. I don't mind which skill you choose, but it won't appear out of the blue for no reason :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:02 am

thinkslogically wrote:Yeah, multiattack would trigger it.
More specifically, any miss among the attacks of a multiattack would trigger it. Each singular attack that misses is a possible trigger, if you've a reaction and superiority die to spend. If a creature has four attacks and hits on the first three, as long as you're still standing when it misses on the fourth, you can riposte provided you've got the resources.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:01 am

spiderwrangler wrote:Not sure on Thinks position on expanded tool proficiency benefits from XGtE for this game, but it has a lot of interesting stuff I'm planning on including in Sundered Way, I just need to get that info around.
I'd be interested in that as well, I wouldn't mind getting some mileage out of my herbalism kit; haven't really had a chance yet.