The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by Dlover » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:46 am

Can see that confusion, it is weird to think that hide is medium, considering... It's hide. It's basically uncured leather.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:14 am

I guess it's heavier because it's uncured? Who knows...

I'm working on a Very Big update for you guys, but it's also my last lecture of the semester tonight so I'm going to be working on that first. Obviously. I should be able to get back to this for tomorrow for you guys tho. The identify spell has also required a surprising amount of effort or else I'd just move on with those two for now :lol:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:57 am

Yeah, other than it being cheaper, it is strictly worse than studded leather armor if you've 16 or better DEX. I think it's largely 'flavor' armor, since if you can wear medium armor, there are better options.

Have fun with your last lecture!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:24 am

Hmm, is it too late to ask if I can buy some starting equipment with the 10 gold from my background?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:28 am

Depends what you had in mind, but sure, I don't mind. As long as it's something you'd reasonably be able to get in the swamp it's fine by me.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:12 am

I'm assuming flasks of oil are out of the question? :shifty:

Nothing crazy though, just some basic stuff:
Sling - 1 sp
Sling bullets (20) - 4 cp
Darts (6) - 3 sp
Sacks (6) - 6 cp
Rope, hempen (50 ft) - 1 gp
Total - 1.5 gold

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:09 pm

Nah, flasks of oil are fine. You live in a reasonably-sized community and would at least be able to make use of animal fats/oils if need be. It wouldn't be great smelling, but mechanically it'd do just fine :)

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:17 pm

Hm! Well alright then, I'll get 5 of those to round out my expenses to 2 whole gold pieces!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Cool stuff, Chuck it on your sheet and you're good.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:17 am

Hey folks, I swear I haven't forgotten about you guys :) The update is under way.

Quick question though - I'm running a one-shot version of the Hangover on Saturday for my RL group, which is based on a similar premise to the game Spider was going to run a while ago (everyone wakes up with blank character sheets, and then have to figure out what the hell happened. Spoilers: It was a lot of debauchery and shenanigans).

Anyway, I'm looking for 5-7 level 6(?) pre-made characters which I can pull together myself no problem, but I was wondering if any of you guys fancied throwing some ideas or had any cool or weird concepts that you've been mulling over? Anything official is fine by me, the only stipulation is that they need to be classes that can't just cure hangovers (obvs), so no restoration capabilities or whatever but otherwise, this can be as weird and wonderful as you like. I expect this will be chaos :lol:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:01 am

I actually ran the first session last Friday, and it went really well. My wife joined us too (for her second D&D session ever), so there were 6 players, and we're adding 2 out of towners for the conclusion tomorrow.

It was a lot of chaotic energy, but I like the improvising part of things. I actually spent more time prepping it than I have any other one-shots I've run with this group, but almost all of that was in the character stuff and finding youtube ambient videos with the sound I wanted.

Also added a mechanic where I gave each of them 3 die that they could redeem to me in order to learn something about themselves (eg, they tell me what they generally want to do, and if it's possible, I take the die and describe how they get a feeling they can do X).

My notes beyond that were that
• they are part of a military or mercenary company so that they have similar clothes or the like to get them to band together
• they get shipwrecked on a rocky shore and are forced to the nearby island, where the cult that lives there is going to try to capture them and sacrifice them to their dark god

Everything else was made up in the moment and it turned into a fun 4 hour session.
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:01 pm

Nice! That sounds cool, and those are good tips on how to handle some of the filling in the blanks.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:42 am

Haven't thought much in the way of memory loss games, sorry. Spider's ideas, as usual, are great! Definitely going to be stealing parts of them.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:26 am

Go for it!

I rolled randomly for the amnesia game, and am particularly tickled by the more unusual combinations that subvert player expectations.

Two that are being played by previous DMs in my session...

Half-orc Celestial Warlock, pact of the blade and acolyte background: has a golden glowing left eye

Mountain dwarf draconic sorcerer, criminal background: skin is covered in a faint sheen of metallic scales, looks like iridescent tattoo
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:17 am

Ah cool, they're fun :) I like the draconic sorcerer idea a lot! I need to work on this a bunch tonight to figure out exactly what happened to them all, but suffice it to say that everyone will have WIS as a dump stat!

I also have no idea if any of this will work, but it doesn't really matter and I think it will at least be fun :)

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:00 pm

Having someone learn they can cast spells only to find out it's wild magic when it blows up seems like great idea, granted I may be biased in that regard :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:05 pm

He's a giant who's afraid of heights. (Both in personal terms and having to live in the mountains.) So he put on what turned out to be a cursed ring of shapeshifting. Now the size of a particularly stocky dwarf, he retains his giant's strength and other traits. It's possible that a botched attempt to remove the ring had something to do with the memory loss.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:49 am

Hey thinks, would it be alright to swap out one of my cantrips for another one, since I just started? I got some inspiration on how to make Shape Water more useful, and I was gonna drop Shocking Grasp for it. It'd be more thematic for a swamp-dwelling caster anyway :P

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:22 am

Sure thing :)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:32 pm

So uh, how are we going to make Gwen a Celestial Warlock instead of a Goo one?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:04 pm

A Goo Warlock? What's their specialty, making people feel grossed out? :p
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:14 pm

That's what Merric specializes in!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:32 pm

The Goo Warlock's powers are provided to them by The Great And Mighty Oooooozie, the immortal slime which has grown to such a size that it is, in fact, 90% of the planet's water bodies at any given time. Oooooozie is a benevolent slime, and knowing that so many beings are dependent upon the water it has subverted, negated its own acidic nature to ensure the mortals could drink of its body and take sustenance. Oooooozie is love, Oooooozie is life.

But don't use the wrong number of O's in Oooooozie's name, that would be a terrible insult.
My game:

My characters:

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:07 pm

Btw Dusk, Shossk can slap a Guidance on Locke if you want. Maybe he'll roll a 4 and get that lockpick check up to 15? :shifty:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:35 am

Ok... So I have no real problem with spamming Guidance on your rolls when there's no time pressure, but I am going to ask that you guys deal with it IC a bit more moving forward. The cantrip lets you improve an attempt at one specific skill and is cast as an action (6 secs) do it's something that Shossk reasonably has to declare in advance of the skill being attempted.

Like I say, it's not such a big deal in these kinds of circumstances, but I am going to say from now on that you can't retroactively add guidance to another player's rolls (and you'll lose it if they change their mind on the skill attempt). Just keep that in mind :)