The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:15 pm

:lol: and today was going so well for you all :)

PS you can make those rolls for Varsk whenever you like by the way. I'll probably get back to him shortly if the others aren't going to mount a rescue.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:21 pm

Varsk is currently experiencing that sinking feeling in his gut that everyone has experienced - you look around and you realize you have no idea where you are and that no one knows where you are.

Mostly little kids have this in grocery stores. This is probably worse.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:05 pm

Yup. I know it well :lol:

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:15 pm

On one hand, Varsk going after the woman might prove really helpful to the group. On the other hand, Syli told you so. :P

Regarding a rescue party, I think as a group we'll have to come to a decision whether we want to go out looking or not. Doing so would require either ALL of us looking, or us splitting the party again. Mind, between Syli, Kal, and Gwen, we've got enough wilderness experts to spare one for a rescue group, but both staying together AND splitting off both carry risks.

I'm trying to decide if I want to change out Poison Spray or not as a cantrip. On one hand, it's been more-or-less useless; it has a shorter range than my sling (which is impressive), and it's an all-or-nothing save that only does straight damage. On the other hand, it's a nice, flavorful one (I've got it pictured in my head as her basically using magic pepper spray on anyone who gets too close), and it does start to pack a whallop at higher levels (it's the most damaging cantrip there is, maxing out at 4d12 (26 average) damage; albeit with the caveat that Primal Savagery and Eldritch Blast technically beat it due to having better damage types and, in EB's case, far surperior range, reliability, and flexibility).

That being said, offensive cantrip selection isn't really great for druids. The only one that really stands out is Elemental Evil's Frostbite, which would fit really nicely with Syli's battlefield control role (60ft ConSave-based xd6 cold damage with a rider that causes the target's next attack roll to suffer disadvantage). All the others tend to have some issue or another that drastically limits their usefulness:
--Create Bonfire (EE) has decent range and damage, but damage over time is really only useful if it can actually keep getting applied, and most targets are going to be smart enough to move OUT of the raging bonfire. Plus, it's concentration; if I've got another concentration spell up, that means defending myself will break that spell.
--Infestation (XGtE) is rather hilarious and awesome, and while the rider effect looks weak, it actually has some serious potential for prevent Opportunity Attacks and messing up enemy positioning. But part of my main problem with Poison Spray is present here too: it suffers from a short range. If Syli's casting, she needs to be keeping her distance from a fight (and if she hasn't kept her distance, that's what Thunderwave is for).
--Magic Stone (EE) is... ugh. First glance makes this spell look awesome (60ft range on enchanted rocks, and they're spell attacks, AND it's a bonus action without concentration!?). Then you start reading between the lines. While it guarantees the damage boost regardless of how the rocks are hurled, it only provides a range boost if you THROW the rocks; slings for some reason are still limited to 30ft/120ft. Furthermore, it doesn't actually mention HOW that range boost is applied; a thrown rock technically ALREADY has a range of 60ft, and the spell makes no mention of whether the range is considered long or short range. If you've already got a solid DEX mod, you're not really gaining any sort of accuracy boost by making it a spell attack. Finally, unlike Shillelagh, it doesn't actually make mention about whether the rocks are considered magic weapons or not. In short, the only way it's useful is with GM houseruling and judicious application of common sense. Otherwise it's a waste of time. (Which is a shame, because I actually like the theme of using a sling, AND it has the bonus of being a 1-handed weapon that technically doesn't need a second hand to reload, meaning I can use it with a shield).
--Primal Savagery (XGtE) is right up Syli's alley, ESPECIALLY since she's a moon druid. Unfortunately, it's melee; if she's locked in a melee fight, she's probably not using cantrips for it.
--Produce Flame is another short-range cantrip, although at least it's not concentration like Create Bonfire.
--Shillelagh uses a club or quarterstaff. Syli uses neither, and like Primal Savagery, she (will eventually) has better options for a melee fight.
--Thorn Whip is not only short-ranged, it has the extra caveat of dragging your target closer to you. For a moon druid like Maji who makes a passable melee fighter in caster form, this can actually be pretty awesome. For Syli, who's a bit fragile in melee as a caster... not so much.

In other news, I've been making some tweaks to the Unlocked version of the group sheet. Everyone's Passive Perception is now calculating correctly, and the group sheet now is reading its data for Syli directly from the sheet I'm using, rather than reading the old version (which I had set up to copy from the new one). In addition, when Syli uses wildshape, the group sheet will now change her race to her wildshape form and light that cell up, and her stats on the group sheet change to reflect her polymorphed shape (technically that's because my variant sheet automatically recalculates everything whenever she wildshapes).

There's a few other tweaks I'd like to make, but it'd apply to everyone rather than just Syli, so I want to ask before doing anything.

Temporary HP: I think we'd benefit from having temporary HP listed on the group sheet, since we've got a few characters with access to temp HP (I'm counting wildshape hp for Syli as temp HP, even though it technically isn't). But there's a few different ways to go about it. The easiest way would be to simply have a new column for Temp HP, but that takes up space. Another option is to simply combine Temp HP and actual HP in the same column, either as a sum (the group sheet has the character's temp HP added to their actual HP) or as a concatenated value (a character with temp HP would have their HP read as [base]+[temp] on the group sheet, e.g. Merric at full health casting Armor of Agathys would have his HP read as 20+5).

Speed: We've got a bit of an array when it comes to speed for the group, so having at-a-glance information on each character's land speed would probably be useful for both GM and player alike.

Combined Darkvision and Passive Perception: It'd be rather trivial to combine these two columns; Passive Perception would have its rank listed, and if a character has Darkvision, the cell gets lit up green.

HP Color-Changing: Google Drive has some pretty robust conditional formatting for their spreadsheets. One of the options is a color scale, which causes the color of the cell to gradually change as its contents change. I've actually got this on Syli's sheet; at full HP, her HP cell is a bright green. As she takes damage, it slowly changes to yellow at 50% health, than to red as she approaches 0. It might be a nifty effect to apply to the group sheet as well, since it'd provide at-a-glance data on each character's condition (HP by itself doesn't necessarily give it unless you compare it to max; Mehriv's full health is Varsk's 50% wounded). However, it wouldn't work if I use concatenation with temporary HP (since it'd have difficulty parsing a value like "20+5").

Thoughts?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:29 pm

To be honest, Varsk wouldn't vote to send a rescue party for only except maybe Korrik and Syli did tell him so...
I know nothing about cantrips... sorry.

Good work on the sheet! I saw that Varsk's Perception was right and saw you had a list of wildshapes. Like a horse.

For your questions:

Temp HP: I like the idea have just having one HP that is the sum of base HP + temp.

Add the speed column, I already need to scroll right. Not a big deal and combining passive perception with darkvision makes adding speed a wash.

HP color changing is fun but of the suggestions is probably not as important (also I liked the summed HPs)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:33 pm

Create bonefire+thronwhip= double damage :3 Also thornwhip over pitfalls, while flying, near tarps traps, away from allies. I like thronwhip as a utility spell. And if Gwen/Merric has repulsive blast on eldrich blast we can play 'move the enemy through the inferno'.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:03 pm

And if I pick up Cloud of Daggers at level 3 then we can have a very sharp inferno to bounce people between. :p

I don't really use the group page, but the changes you've suggested seem good, especially the colour-change so healers don't have to check whether somebody just naturally has low health or not. Got to make sure it works with have more than 100% health, though (From temporary hp). You'd probably have to go with the summed hp to get it to work, too.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:07 pm

Create Bonfire (EE) has decent range and damage
This one can be extra handy for controlling choke points, doorways, hallways, etc. but otherwise is just a chance at 1d8 fire damage on a single target. Less damage an range than something like fire bolt, but more utility.
Magic Stone (EE) is... ugh. First glance makes this spell look awesome
Yeah, the sling bit is odd, and M. Mearls has said to use sling range. There are other arguments that since throwing a rock as an improvised weapon has a range of 20/60, and Magic Stone gives it a range of 60, then the sling should give a range of 120, but not been weighed in on by anyone else from WotC.
it doesn't actually make mention about whether the rocks are considered magic weapons or not
It's delivered as a ranged spell attack, so would be considered magic for overcoming resistances (besides the common sense you mention of it being called magic stone and all).
Thorn Whip is not only short-ranged, it has the extra caveat of dragging your target closer to you.
You designate how far they are dragged, up to 10 feet. So just hitting for damage and dragging 0 ft is valid.

Summing real and fake HP seems a bit dodgy to me. They are mechanically different, and there might be some corner cases where it will lead to confusion? I suppose one on the group page might not be bad to just give people a sense of where things are, but they function differently.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:10 pm

Right, which is why I want to keep temp and real HP separate on the individual sheets. They need to be the first HP lost after they're added, but as long as we can keep track of that properly then we should be ok. I figure the group page is more of a quick-glance summary anyway, but to be honest I don't really use it.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:29 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Create bonefire+thronwhip= double damage :3 Also thornwhip over pitfalls, while flying, near tarps traps, away from allies. I like thronwhip as a utility spell. And if Gwen/Merric has repulsive blast on eldrich blast we can play 'move the enemy through the inferno'.
Keep in mind that, as a Moon Druid, I only get 4 cantrips (unless I take feats or multiclass), and I only get to that at level 10. If a cantrip can't stand on it's own merits, I need to look at something else, and I don't want to bog my selection down with just offensive choices; I've got other ways of dealing damage.

In addition, that combo requires a turn to set up, and as spiderwrangler pointed out, it's only a chance at extra damage; each time it triggers, the creature gets a Dex-save against it, and they can only trigger against a specific creature once per turn. Don't get me wrong, Thorn Whip is a solid spell, but I just don't think it's a good choice for Syli. If she's getting that close to melee right now, she needs to either be nuking everything with Thunderwave, jumping into wildshape, or running away (possibly all three simultaneously).
spiderwrangler wrote:This one can be extra handy for controlling choke points, doorways, hallways, etc. but otherwise is just a chance at 1d8 fire damage on a single target. Less damage an range than something like fire bolt, but more utility.
True, but also keep in mind that it makes mention of igniting things, and that most of our tactical situations so far have been in a jungle. In my TRPG career, I've had more than my fair share of experience running from forest fires. And building fires. And... actually, just running from fires set by careless party members in general. :lol:
spiderwrangler wrote:Summing real and fake HP seems a bit dodgy to me. They are mechanically different, and there might be some corner cases where it will lead to confusion? I suppose one on the group page might not be bad to just give people a sense of where things are, but they function differently.
thinkslogically wrote:Right, which is why I want to keep temp and real HP separate on the individual sheets. They need to be the first HP lost after they're added, but as long as we can keep track of that properly then we should be ok. I figure the group page is more of a quick-glance summary anyway, but to be honest I don't really use it.
I agree on summing temp hp with regular, which is why my own personal preference leans toward either a separate column (which would allow the color scale hp) or concatenating it (which makes it nice and concise while still keeping them separate).

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:38 pm

Nioca wrote:True, but also keep in mind that it makes mention of igniting things, and that most of our tactical situations so far have been in a jungle.
Right, an open jungle isn't the place for it, which is why my examples were very non-jungle locations. ;)

Less elegant, but 3 columns would handle that and have all of the info there, where the third is the sum of 1 and 2, keeping the info separate, but giving the info you want and allowing you to color code the third...

HP | Temp HP | Equivalent HP

((Or something better named))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:31 pm

So where is Kal now? I thought he went to help search for the woman.

Also, is he able to retroactively refill his quiver from the archers?

Sorry, still not doing very well.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:37 pm

Varsk sent Kal back to look after the rest of the party along with Syli until we woke up, and continued on after the woman alone. He's since found her, but lost himself.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:55 pm

Yeah, he's quite thoroughly lost :) You can absolutely refill your quiver.

The arrows are somewhat more chunky and unrefined compared to the level of craftsmanship that Kal would be used to from his hometown, but it's just flavour and there's no mechanical difference.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:19 pm

PS what preparations are you guys making for the evening, assuming you don't go looking for Varsk? Remember that you already avoided being discovered last night when you slept because you did a bunch of preparations (that paid off). I think you've already worked out that this might not be the safest place to stay given the numbers of lizardfolk who battled you here, but it's as good a place as you've found all day.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:32 pm

Gwen is most likely able to find Varsk in the night time (maybe with help of Syli) due to devil sight. We should make sure our party is no longer split.

I suggest that Kal and Korric help set up things to camoflague our camp from the lizards, perhaps using logs, leaves or moss.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:04 pm

Mn, We'd probably be safest moving on, but there are also clear tracks leading away, so if they find the combat ground they may assume we've left and go after the tracks. If we move, we've only got until dark to find a safe place, since at least Mehr will become completely blind in the dark.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:10 pm

I concur with moving on; anyone who sees the signs of the battle will probably search the area, and if they're on alert, those ruins stand out like a sore thumb. We don't necessarily need to move far, but we need to put a little distance between the ruins and us.

Regarding a rescue party, Gwen and Syli would actually make a pretty good pair. What a "rescue" party in this scenario needs is mostly recon skills, rather than brute force. Syli's decent with ranged weaponry, has strong perception and stealth backed by decent all-around nature skills, and her cat-form fully recharged thanks to the short rest; not much for a fight, but a good escape button. IIRC Gwen's entire power set recharges on a short rest (which she took by spending an HD), so she's got some firepower to spare in event of trouble, and she has stealth and survival skills for the job along with a background advantage which prevents us from losing our way.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:53 pm

OK, cool I'll let you guys have a chat and see what you want to do. If you let me know roughly what you're looking for we'll work out what you find :)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:53 am

Another time Kal regrets not having paid more attention to Mom's ranger lessons.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:11 am

Lack of dark vision kind of puts Korrik in the same boat as Mehr, might be able to do stuff in camp to help make sure it's hidden and safe, but not up for recon. Alternately, we could try to tidy up the area and disguise signs of the battle a we work in prepping the tower for sleep.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:14 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:((If we're going looking for him, I'd rather we do it together rather than have the party split three ways, and you need to back track to the ruins.))
I'd rather we not be split at all right now, but that's where we're sitting. Mind, I'm ambivalent either way; on one hand, having more people on hand means being better equipped in case we run into trouble. By the same token, this is about to turn into a nighttime endeavor, meaning, half the group's going to be stumbling around in the dark.
Arch Lich Burns wrote:Gwen will help Syli in surv check to find Varsk.
...you realize you just doomed this endeavor to failure, right? :lol:

In other news, my 'tweaks' of the group sheet turned almost into a full overhaul. It's under 'Experimental Group'. Behold my terrible drawings of what I think skills look like!

Anyway, if there's no complaints, I'll delete the Unlocked Group sheet and replace it with the experimental.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:50 pm

I like the updates and the art in experimental sheet. I couldn't make out what the survival one is supposed to be and I had to check stealth to figure out it was a sneaky figure. Overall it is a good improvement from what we had. Thank you for doing it!

----

If you get lost enough trying to find Varsk you will probably get to where he is sitting now. Probably double crit fail will take you right to him.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Survival looks like a berry bush and some fruit? Were you looking at stealth, Rodgeir? :p

The drawings are pretty good. Every time I saw one of the book ones I though "That must be religion." I was right the fourth time. :p
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:23 am

Ok, so it's the plan that you guys are going to go and look for Varsk?