The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 7276
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:08 pm

Randy comes strolling along just then, having just finished torching the board. "No. It is it's own language. How long it takes to learn it depends on how fluent you need to be. Speaking it fluently is a whole other matter. That requires some voice training, unless you're dragon born."

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 7041

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:44 pm

Dornikal looks over to Randy and chuckles,

"Figured it was its own language but orcish and giant both use the same letters as dwarven. Common is its own thing and was harder to learn. How far is draconic from common then? Aye'm looking to be fluent enough to talk gems and religion."

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 7276
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:55 am

Randy purses his lips in thought.
" It's a tonal language. How a word is pronounced can change it's meaning. Some of the throat clicks and tongue trills are difficult for non dragon types to master. You're talking about a fairly technical level of mastery, and throw in that it's a regional dialect. Probably need to master written as well in order to avoid miscommunication..."
Randy looks directly at Dornikal. "Minimum of 6 months with intensive study, barring some form of magical assistance, and plan on still sticking your foot in your mouth occasionally even then. Full mastery would take at least a couple of years."

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 7041

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:05 am

Dornikal nods, about what he was expecting.

"Took round that long for common, little shorter. Writing came quicker. If aye'm going to be a proper missionary of Dumathion aye'm going to need to learn more than just draconic. A magic shortcut would be nice though!"

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20468

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:31 am

"Understanding it when spoken may come sooner than speaking it yourself, as Randy said, there are various nuances that were not chosen with mammalian mouths in mind.", Szartha says with a grin.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 7041

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:54 am

"Well, just something else to add to meh list of things to learn and do. Least aye got a couple more centuries to work on the list, Dumathoin willing."

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 7276
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:52 am

Randy gives a grin. "Magic can help speed up learning the words. What it won't do is teach you when to use the words. Learning a language is also learning the culture behind it."

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20468

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:55 am

Szartha gives a wry grin, "Yeah, I suppose it's a different perspective when you've got centuries to master things. When you've only got a handful of decades if things go well..."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 7041

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:26 am

"We all have things we can accomplish in the time we're given, boss! Doesn't mean we should waste it unneeded if we can avoid it, ye think we can get some more gems from them to fix the tower? It'd be nice to avoid a few more weeks in the desert."

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20468

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:48 am

"We can try! Though, I'd rather spend a few weeks being honored as a hero, camping beside an oasis than slogging through the sand getting sore feet."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly
Posts: 3038
Contact:

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:29 am

(are all of the gifted medallions the same magic?)

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20468

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:07 am

((They all seem to be, much to my perhaps future regret.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 7041

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:45 am

((Still have Dornikal's to mess with! Let me know when we get to the grandson.))

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 7276
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:28 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:07 am
((They all seem to be, much to my perhaps future regret.))
(( Give us a little time and I'm sure that we'll find some new and inventive ways to use/abuse these. Particularly since we got new level abilities to throw in the mix. :P. ))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20468

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:23 pm

Szartha walks with Dornikal and Randy into the camp, and you easily find your way back to the workspace they ancient dragonborn is overseeing.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 7041

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:37 pm

Dornikal directs Szartha and Randy to the elder and his grandson, putting on the helmet.

"Can ye two explain we'd like to purchase or trade for gems? A lot of them."

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20468

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:39 pm

Szartha, with Randy's assistance, convey the request to the dragonborn. What Dornikal hears is slightly different from what Randy and Szartha hear, the spell seems to iron out some of the wrinkles of the draconic dialect, but not necessarily in natural usage dialogue.

As Szartha asks about being able to trade for mass quantity of gems, the dragonborn begins laughing uncontrollably. His many great-grandson hurries over and they have a hurried back and forth, the younger dragonborn seemingly put at ease by his elder.

Regaining himself, the ancient dragonborn turns to the three of you.

"Even the prophecy fulfilled is still not full.", he says, confusingly.

He elaborates that one of their gemstone mines recently breached into an underground hive of some sort of fire spitting creatures, and that they had been in the process of planning to retake it when the signs that the prophecy was nigh came to pass, and efforts went instead to awaiting its fulfillment.

"I can speak words to the leaders, but I think that if you are able to help us reclaim our stores, that we would be happy to provide."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 7276
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:52 pm

"And now the purpose of so many necklaces with fire resistance becomes clear." Randy murmurs to himself.
He looks at the elder. "I would really like to hear about this prophecy of yours and the prophet who made it."

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 7041

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:59 am

Dornikal nods helpfully along the explanation and asks,

"Can ye get them to describe the critters in more detail?"

He tries to identify them from his own clans experiences with underground fire spitting creatures.

Nature?: What are the things: 1D20 = [19] = 19

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly
Posts: 3038
Contact:

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:30 am

While Coljin is not doing to much in the tower, he will ask Kreldorin when the old wizard seems not too busy, "I'd be interested in learning a bit from a book or two while I'm here. Do you have any books on ancient religions or such in your library here that I could study by chance?"
If he does not have any on religion, he instead asks for old, old history books. Specifically history of the gnomes.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20468

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:45 pm

"The prophecy was found, by the first of our people to call the sands home, carved into plates of bronze. No one knows who wrote it, but it contained instructions for surviving here, and became basis for those that came after."

He turns to Dornikal, "Sure, they look like a big lot of nothing on a backdrop of nothing.", smiling in jest.

"My first son's second daughter's third son's first daughter is one of the hunters who was preparing to take on the creatures, I believe she scouted and observed them, she can probably describe them better than I can.", he says with gesture to his blind eyes.

A short while later, a young, lithe, leather armored and well armed dragonborn trots up and takes his hands, greeting him as they press foreheads together and converse briefly.

She stands and nods respectfully at you, and describes the creatures, large in size, with multiple legs, the first pair powerful for digging and grabbing their prey. The heads have a scoop-like crest that they use to help shovel earth and sand as they dig. The fire they spit seems to be a flammable liquid that is ignited on its way out, and also dribbles from their mouths.

While the specific creature doesn't sound familiar to Dornikal, it doesn't sound too different from a creature that in his travels he'd heard referred to by some of the more colorful farm folk as a 'cow swallower', that would burrow up in pastures and pull cows down into the earth, though they didn't have fire, but a corrosive acid that they could spit instead.

"Sure, sure! Fergus! FERGUS! Oh... there you are. Could you show the good Father here to the religion secion?"

A pair of white gloves beckons you forward and you are led up some stairs to a set of bookshelves.

They gesture at it as if to say 'here you go'.

((Give me an Investigation check?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly
Posts: 3038
Contact:

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:09 pm

"Thank you for indulging me." Coljin then follows the gloves to the library.

"Ummm...thank you Fergus."

Once there he utters a spell to his goddess to assist him with finding the book that will be most useful for his seeking of knowledge and then he starts looking for something interesting.

Investigation with guidance: 1D20+1D4 = [9]+[4] = 13

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 7041

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:09 am

"Well. Great. Aye think we can handle this. No time like the present! Can ye ask if they'd be helping or if we are to take care of them ourselves? I don't know about ye two but I'm ready to get out of the desert."

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20468

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:47 pm

Coljin lifts down a likely looking tome, and finds that it details the dwarven pantheon, learning a fair bit about the position of Dornikal's god, Dumathoin, in addition to the other, more widely known members. As a committed cleric of another faith, you've not been much targeted by your dwarven friend's evangelizing, but you can see a lot of his better qualities reflected in the descriptions of a stout defender of the dwarven people and the love of crafting with gems.

"Yes, those of us who have made ready will join you in this fight on behalf of our people."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 7041

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:05 am

"When can they be ready?" Dornikal asks Randy/Szartha to relay.
Last edited by Rodgeir on Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply