The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
The Lost
Is Heard Often
Posts: 321

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by The Lost » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:33 am

"Heeelp proooteeect frooom fiiireee? Thaaat iiis goooood. Buuut creeeaaateee fiiiree....scaaaryyy.... yoooouuu saaaiiid iiis saafee? I dooon't knoooow iiif I caaan uuuseee iiit iiin thaaat waaay. Proooteeect frooom fiiiireee iiiis beeest. Leeess fiiiree beeetteeer."

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 7212
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:32 pm

"That's all right, Zok. You use it for protection and leave the throwing fire around to us less flamable folks."

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20313

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:37 pm

Randy and Zokk confer with the old dwarf about the new hardware, Zokk a bit nervous about the thought of wreathing himself in flame, though Kreldoran assures him that it won't harm him, only any foes.

((It will stack with Zokk's vulnerable, to where they would both apply, resulting in just normal damage.))

Coljin takes care of Coljin and has a relaxing 'me day'.

Down at the camp, Dornikal, appearing somewhat comical with the borrowed helm on, attends a work session with the aged master craftsmen.

Image
► Show Spoiler
"Good rising of the day, Dwarf-gem-brother. The second son of my third son's first daughter's fourth son says you come alone, and wearing a strange face on your hat. Is it a device that lets you mouth and ear our tongue?"

This comprehend languages spell is gonna take some getting used to.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2993
Contact:

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by NotStickFigures » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:15 pm

When Coljin hears from Randy that Kreldorin is identifying on lunch, he will make time to show up and get that accomplished also on his new bauble.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6879

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:58 am

Dornikal nods and the silly helmet bounces around.

"Uh... Good rising to ye as well! Aye, the hat let's me speak and understand yer language. Aye'm very pleased ye gave me an opportunity to learn with ye!"

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20313

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:25 am

The ancient one cocks his head, "The words you mouth are not to my ears. Can you understand what I mouth?"

((Comprehend languages only allows you to comprehend them, not speak them.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6879

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:26 am

Dornikal nods and hopes the nod is understood. He thinks his plan maybe wasn't so great now but smiles hopefully.

((Ya, I know but since Kreldoran thought it was the way to go Dornikal figured it'd work as expected!))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20313

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:14 am

The ancient one's descendant whispers in his ear.
"My third son's first daughter's fourth son's second son says you're wiggling your head, does that mean yes? Errr... Smack your clawless hands together once if you understand what I mouth."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6879

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:02 pm

Dornikal claps and wonders if it is too late to get Szartha.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20313

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:24 pm

"Ok, good. Did you bring any gems by your hands? I would see what you can do."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6879

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:30 pm

Dornikal produces the works he has made for Szartha, Galt and Tren along with the most recently worked larger gems for inspection.

((You need the rolls for those?))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20313

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:36 pm

((If you haven't? He's just trying to get a feel for how experienced or novice you are. Also note that with level 5, everyone's proficiency modifier has gone up to +3.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6879

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:42 pm

((They are all rolled for and have combined scores for int+dex of over near or just over 30, if I remember right. The jade was 35.

Was just wondering if you needed me to start mining my coyote list for the rolls!))

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 7212
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:43 pm

Randy decides to test out his new toy and grabs an old board to use as a target. He then trots outside to a sandy area a safe distance away from anything flamable and props the board up. He tries summoning a handful of fire and pitching it at the board.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20313

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:38 pm

The amulet gets cool against your neck as you call forth a sphere of glowing flame in your hand. It's a bit disconcerting, but you feel no more than a subtle warmth from it.

The board shatters, sending flaming bits to the sand.
He takes the stones from your hand, and feels them, handing a few off to his grandson who holds them up to the light and peers through them, smoothing the sand and then holding them just above it to allow the sun to shine through as he rotates it. The ancient one licks one of the stones, then pops it in his mouth, rolling it around before nodding and delicately spitting it out into a rag that he wipes clean. They are returned to you.

"You do not have a lack of skill, excellent! I would have you work with some of the others, yes?"

He gestures at some of the jewelers who are working nearby, crouched on tightly woven fabric so any gems dropped aren't lost in the sand. Some are actively working on pieces, others are sitting in what seems to be meditation. His grandson leads you to a workspace, and offers you the use of some of their tools, should you wish to use them.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6879

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:05 am

Dornikal nods while placing the gems and jewelry away before following.

He taps the grandson on the side and points at the meditating jewelers and shrugs hoping for an explanation.

He will then go to those working and watch what they are doing and how they are doing it before attempting to do anything himself. He will inspect the tools they use and, if the grandson is still around, pull out his tools and demonstrate how they work and check with the grandson if he understands correctly how their tools by demonstrating his guess at their application. Otherwise he just watches them work, their techniques and designs all of interest.

((Dornikal is there to learn how they work and their style, he wouldn't work a stone himself unless asked to demonstrate something or to make clear/test one of their techniques.

How many are there in total working? What types of gems? Mostly opals?))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20313

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:26 pm

The grandson explains that they are 'asking the stone what it is'. He struggles to make it any clearer than that.

Overall their work is more along the lines of polishing, carving and and shaping stone rather than the geometric faces favored by other cultures. The tools they are using seem primitive at first, handles of some sort of bone or antler, but they have finely metal or gem tips socketed in.

There are a maybe a half dozen working, no opals seem to be in evidence, though yours catches a few eyes and earns respectful bows from the artisans. There are assorted gems, some of which you know from Szartha's trading, seem to be native to the desert, but there are a smattering of assorted gems you might find throughout the nations.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6879

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:08 am

Dornikal will happily spend the rest of day with them. He comes to the conclusion he needs to learn draconic so he can introduce this group to Dumathoin. They clearly are already near the god. He will gladly assist where it seems appropriate and smiles and bows to them when they see they opal.

After they have called it a day he will take the grandson and point and the local stones and then point around the desert, even taking one and burying it in the sand before pantomiming looking around for it then finding it under the sand again. If the dragonborn understands he is asking how they find the gems, he will then point at the gems and then back to himself showing his cupped hands full of the gems over and over. He takes out his warhammer and places it beside the gems and slides the hammer towards the grandson and gems towards the grandson hoping he understands they want to trade for large numbers of gems.

If this all fails he will just have the grandson come with him to the tower and have Szartha explain the situation with the need for gems. Probably should have just done that but Dornikal didn't think that far ahead...

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20313

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:21 am

((Make a performance check to see how well the pantomime goes!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6879

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:04 am

Pantomiming: 1D20+1 = [5]+1 = 6


((Yep, off to Szartha!))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20313

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:50 am

"I don't think that hammer is very good for shaping stone, something smaller would be better."

After trying and giving up, Dornikal waves his goodbyes for now and returns to the tower to find Szartha and some of the others having a swim in the oasis.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6879

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:58 am

He takes off the helmet and waves to Szartha and the rest. He has no desire to jump in the water and calls over,

"Szartha, aye think aye need yer help explaining our gem problem to them. When yer done here would ye mind?"

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20313

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:12 am

"Sure! You learn anything interesting while you were down there today?" Szartha dresses in a loose flowing robe and some sandals.

"I'll dry on the way, we can head on down."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

The Lost
Is Heard Often
Posts: 321

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by The Lost » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:15 am

Zokk, having nothong tp do creates a lpg and starts to carve into it.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6879

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:05 am

Dornikal gives some overly technical details about the dragonborn's style in a very excited tone as he leads Szartha over to where the grandson was and where the jewelers were working.

"Aye think I may need to come back for a year to learn more. Its pretty different from how I was trained, different paths to Dumathion! Also I need to learn draconic to be able to teach them.... How hard is draconic to learn Szartha? Aye can speak orcish and giant on top of Dwarven and common. Draconic isn't related to any of them is it? Aye ain't heard many words I recognize."

Post Reply