The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri May 24, 2019 8:33 am

"Get a few most days. Hope your friend can help the one that came in today. Other stuff is usually pretty minor."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri May 24, 2019 8:36 am

Ulmwin snoozes a bit in the corner. Apparently his sleep rhythm hasn't recovered yet...

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri May 24, 2019 10:03 am

spiderwrangler wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:16 am
"So what is owed to the brothers of Obad-Hai?"
"Some information on a probably unrelated case, if you feel you can share without getting into trouble. We were sent here to investigate the disappearance of a wizard's apprentice which happened about a month back. Said wizard has some critical information that he's willing to trade to the order for information about or the return of the apprentice and the object she was here to collect. We've been told she was murdered. Maybe you've seen either her or her body?"
Randy quickly gives a description of the missing apprentice to Alfred, including where she was supposed to have been found.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri May 24, 2019 10:51 am

"Aye'm sure he can help'm, otherwise he'd not of offered. Ain't one to offer aid lightly." He looks inside before continuing, "any idea on what'd kill a man and maul another? Ye got big predators about in town?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri May 24, 2019 3:35 pm

((Randy, let me have a Charisma check please.))

"Big predators? Some places have guard dogs, but don't think they'd do anything close to that. That circus had some big beasts, but think if any of them got loose, we'd have heard something more by now."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri May 24, 2019 4:47 pm

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri May 24, 2019 5:13 pm

He seems to take Randy's explanation of his involvement at face value, though his expression drops a bit as he nods.

"Hmm... We'll have to go to the records."

He leads the way downstairs, taking you to a room filled with ledgers and pulls one down, flipping it open.

"What was the window of death?"
"Location?"
"Approximate age?"

As you provide what information you know, he references and cross references the ledger.

"Near as I can tell, there was no one of that description who died in that window of time. Are you certain of your information?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri May 24, 2019 6:13 pm

In that lovely note, Maji will abscond the area, scurring back to where he came from while they are distracted.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri May 24, 2019 8:12 pm

You make your way back across the ceiling of the chamber, out into the flooded hallway, and to the room with with five tunnels leading from it. There is a bit of splashing about, perhaps from your friend that wanted to hug you earlier, perhaps from another of its kind.

((I'll take another Perception check. Do you want to explore any of the other tunnels?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri May 24, 2019 9:16 pm

[1d20+5] = 2+5 = 7

....As tempting as it is, I think not. If they are feeding merfolk and seems to be using them as guard animals, he doesn't want to go and see what the other rooms have for now.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri May 24, 2019 9:18 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:13 pm He seems to take Randy's explanation of his involvement at face value, though his expression drops a bit as he nods.

"Hmm... We'll have to go to the records."

He leads the way downstairs, taking you to a room filled with ledgers and pulls one down, flipping it open.

"What was the window of death?"
"Location?"
"Approximate age?"

As you provide what information you know, he references and cross references the ledger.

"Near as I can tell, there was no one of that description who died in that window of time. Are you certain of your information?"
"I have the information to that effect from two different sources. Although...they both probably got THEIR information from the same source."
Randy looks pained.
"Balls. Either she didn't die or someone in authority is covering something up. I hate it when politics gets involved in an investigation. Things almost always get messy. Anyway, thanks for your help, Alfred. I owe you a drink. "

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat May 25, 2019 7:21 am

Maji-spider nopes his way along the ceiling towards the city's sewer system, leaving the sounds of splashing and gurgling behind.

You must be getting pretty close to where the tunnel burst into the sewers when you can tell that your change back to dragonborn is imminent. Probably best to get off the ceiling before that happens. On the plus side, you've not seen or felt the presence of any of the creatures since leaving the five-tunnel chamber, so you're not likely to get jumped.

((You're probably a few hundred feet from the sewers.))

"A cover up? But why? Anyone who dies in the city gets brought here.", he gestures at the subterranean portion of the infirmary, that you are realizing serves as a morgue.

"It would be highly unusual for a body not to pass through here...", he looks troubled.

"Helping that young man is all the thanks I need, but I'll look into this... if there are people dying and bodies being hidden, you may have tipped me off to something important. If I find anything that can help your order's investigation into this, I'll take you up on that drink and share what I can."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat May 25, 2019 9:15 am

Randy gives him a small smile and forelock tug.
"Appreciate it. You can contact me by leaving a message at the Lame Goat. If you need any other help with healing while I'm in town, just let me know. If I'm not available, there's a couple of others on the team who can fill in instead. I'll let Father Burberry and Ulmwin know. They're both gnomes, but they know what they're doing. The Father is actually quite a bit better than I am at it."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat May 25, 2019 9:24 am

"I prefer not to incur further debt to the local temples... They tend to collect in political coin. I can respect a man who wants to steer clear of that. Any healing you and yours wish to give freely would be welcome. If I find out more on your mystery woman, I can pay you back in information if I can."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat May 25, 2019 9:42 am

Randy gives a full smile at that. "Agreed. A pleasure working with a professional with principles, Master Alfred." He offers out his hand to shake.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat May 25, 2019 12:19 pm

Maji gets off the celing and breathes a sigj of relief when he is finally away. Now if he can figure out how to get out of the sewers without wildshape, and without resting for an hour. He is not sure if he would have the time to do so. The other tunnels might lead to a dungeon but he does not wish to chance it, incase there are more of those things, or worse.

Int [1d20-1] = 14-1 = 13

(So far the best idea I had was get close to the grate and wait until guards leave/until he gets his forms back.)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat May 25, 2019 3:02 pm

((The main tunnel you were in prior to heading off down the slimy tunnel that led to the 5-tunnel room, one of which led to the chamber with the glowy cylinder and altar, was a fairly straight shot, other than the locked, dented door that had a blood trail leading into or out of, but you didn't continue farther down. It's possible that it opens up somewhere else, or it might just lead to the ocean, as it was headed in that direction. The only sure way out you know of is to continue down this side tunnel to where it intersects with the sewer tunnel, then head towards the blood trail that leads to the guarded gate, though you do know that the gate has been chained shut in addition to being guarded by two right next to it and two at the far end of the alley.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat May 25, 2019 4:18 pm

(Hmm. Is it possible for him to take another look at the blood trail?)

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat May 25, 2019 4:53 pm

Randy takes his leave of Alfred and makes his way back out to where the others are waiting, nodding to the guard as he leaves. He makes his way over to Holger and speaks quietly with him. "There's good news and bad news. The good news is that we are now on good terms with the people in charge of the infirmary, who also happen to run the city morgue. The bad news is that your friend the guard captain is running some kind of game apparently. The apprentice was never brought here, and there are no recorded deaths for anyone matching her description at the time or place being told to us. This is more than a bit unusual and has rather upset the head healer. He's going to investigate some and let us know if he finds out anything. In return, we're on retainer for any emergency healing that he needs while we're in town, provided we're not otherwise tied up. Apparently, the local temples are much into the political scene and likely to demand favors in return. "
Randy grins. "If we're known to be providing medical care for the local guards, they're much less likely to give us a hard time if we're caught looking around."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat May 25, 2019 6:53 pm

((Sure, if you want to head into the sewers and give me an Investigation check? I'm assuming you're lighting up lantern?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat May 25, 2019 7:32 pm

(Yea he'll light it again, but this time using the belt hands hold it.)

invest [1d20-1] = 20-1 = 19

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat May 25, 2019 8:49 pm

((Not sure that having a lit lantern banging against your crotch and thighs is a good long term plan, but sure...))

Maji heads out into the sewers and soon picks up the blood trail, following it from where it ends (or begins?) back to both the locked door and the trail that leads to the entrance.

He does notice that it seems particularly heavy on the portion of sewer floor between the locked door and the breached tunnel. That noticed, he further notices that the drag marks seem to indicate that one or more bodies were dragged from the gate entrance, down into the sewers, in the direction of the breach. A slight pooling there seems to indicate they may have been left for a time, and then were either dragged, or were able to be moved to the currently locked room. The dents and scratches may indicate that the assailants weren't able to get in, and left, the bodies then found by guards later?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun May 26, 2019 4:53 am

"Big predators? Some places have guard dogs, but don't think they'd do anything close to that. That circus had some big beasts, but think if any of them got loose, we'd have heard something more by now."

"In case that any of them succeeded staying hidden for now, feel free to suggest to your commander to contact Holger Starwind to take care of it."

Once Randy comes out Holger will give a friendly nod towards the guard and any that might have followed Randy out. He indicates the direction of the barracks before slowly going there, listening to Randy.

"Always nice to get someone else to prove ones suspicion. I'm also glad you're warming up to my tactic of winning the hearts of the people. We got magic in such a surplus and variety that we can step in and assist in most kind of situations and being mostly unaffiliated we don't have anyone holding us back from doing so!
Think the commander have heard of this yet or should I wait a day more before confronting him again?"
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun May 26, 2019 4:59 am

"...Are we sure it ain't the commander who's organized this in the first place? Sounds like he'd be the one to notice if something goes wrong from the level he operates at, right? Unless someone is pulling the wool over his eyes, feeding him false information..."

(I'm just gonna assume Ulmwin has been idling in the back, playing some songs and writing in books... :P )

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun May 26, 2019 5:37 am

"At this point I'm pretty much counting on him being involved, although I suspect his role in this is more muscle than mastermind. Should probably over to the Serenity guild house at some point and try figure out if they are involved in this as well. Seems likely that those who mugged Kreldorans former apprentice get affiliated with the guild at some point to try and sell the orb to them. "
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread