The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:48 am

Tess trips the latch and pushes inward, but stops the window just as it was about to squeal, and pulls a dab of grease from her thieves kit and applies it, getting the window open quietly and slipping inside.

Bringing Ily in, you find yourself in a first floor sitting room, a cold hearth on one side, assorted chairs, and bookshelves. A cabinet on one side seems to hold spirits and wine.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:57 am

Nem takes a quick look over the shelves - what kind of reading material does this guy put on display? Do the books look like they're read or just for show?

She'll take a quick glance in the fireplace, then will move on to the rest of the house.

((Is there a door and is it closed?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:13 am

Two doors, both closed, but are interior door that don't seem to have locks on them, more likely they are there to provide additional privacy for the sitting room.

The fireplace has been cleaned of ash, and has a fire laid, ready to be lit.

Books range in subject, from poetry to historical and philosophical discussions, but if you're looking for books on arcane studies or the like, those aren't on the shelves. All of it is meticulously arranged, all of the spines are flush across the front of the shelf, and books seem to be grouped by size and color rather than any shared subject. Could be that he doesn't really read any of these, and they are just decoration, or that he values the aesthetic more, and has some means of finding the book he wants when he wants it.

Easing open one door and peeking though, you see a front entrance way, with a coat closet and hallway leading stairs to the upper floor along one wall, and further into the first floor on the other.

The other door leads into the dining room you observed him in earlier. Another door is visible diagonally across from where you are peering in.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:31 am

Randy gives himself a shake and turns back to the issue at hand. He grimaces with pain and then lays hands on himself.

Healing: 1d8+3 = [6] = 9 ((out of spell slots))

Feeling a bit better, he makes his way over to the gate and stops about 15 feet from it so that he can stay out of grabbing range and still be close enough to intercept anything coming through.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:35 am

Nem ignores the dining room for now, and moves quietly to the coat closet, checking the pockets of whatever coats are hung there.

Then, she moves quietly through the house towards the third door. She's looking to find where he works.

Ily is sent to the bottom of the stairs to keep watch.

Edit: Oh!! Does he have a doorbell at his front door?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:08 am

Randy heals himself up to something more reasonable for a prolonged fight, and positions himself between Holger and Anders to be of use in dealing with whatever comes through next.

There isn't long to wait, as a creature leaps through the portal, the body and limbs humanoid, but the neck fusing into a large shell, from which emerges a snaking eel-like head. The three guards waiting by the portal immediately sink spears into it, each of them hitting. It whirls on the middle guard, swinging with both fists and the eel seeking to bite, but the guard fends them off.
Three more push through as well, one with coral encrusted fists and wild eyed face ringed in a collar of anemone tendrils lunging for Dornikal, the dwarf catching one blow from a fist on his shield, bits of coral flaking off, and dodges the other to let it splash into the water. The head thrusts for Dornikal's, the tentacles stinging where they touch his cheeks as he feels the toxin pulse into his body, his flesh growing warm.
The next is drawn to the glowing magics of Holger, a pair of chitinous, multi-segmented arms emerging from the chest snapping outward at Holger, one of them connecting, while the other misses, and a swing of a squid-tipped arm going wide as well.

((Shielding wouldn't prevent the hit, but would give you another surge trigger? Concentration check on Hex though please.))
The last through goes for one of the guards that speared the first one, missing with its first two arms, but the long, octopus like tentacles growing from its shoulders snaking around the guard and squeezing.

Turn Order:

Dornikal (49/56)
Holger (22/33) (Conc: Hex: 1 hour; Rounds of Chaos Remaining: 3; rounds of 20 ft teleport remaining: 5; rounds of target on his back remaining: 6; fog cloud: 1 hour; Can only shout: 9) (Concentration check?)
Squad A (gnome mounts) (Readied Attacks)
Squad C (Readied Attacks)
Squad B (Readied Attacks)
Randerwaith (21/37)
Eel-head
Anemone-neck
Squid-hand
Octo-shoulders
Coljin (32/32) <--------------------<<<
Squad E
Squad F
Anders
Squad D
Ulmwin (37/37)

He doesn't seem to leave things lying about in his coat pockets, though you do notice a pin with a crest showing one the lapel.

There is a cord running in from outside where it would seem a visitor could pull it to ring the bell above the door.

The door through the dining room leads to a kitchen and adjoining pantry. It also seems that this is where the hallway from the front leads as well. There is another door in the kitchen that leads down to a basement level.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:27 am

Nem takes the pin and pockets it, taking a quick glance around for a door key or anything.

She checks the door to the basement, the front door, and the back door, and will check if they're locked. If it can be easily unlocked, shell unlock the back door then head to the foot of the stairs.

Perception (listening for snoring or what have you):
Perception: 1D20+4 = [12]+4 = 16

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:31 am

The toxin quickly fades to barely a tickle.

It doesn't seem he's left his keys downstairs. Doors to the outside are all locked, but they basement door is not.

((Thieves Tools check to unlock any of them.))

At the foot of the stairs, you hear soft breathing punctuated by the occasional sighing snore.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:39 am

((cool))

She tries to unlock the back door, hoping it's a simple lock.
Thieves tools (Dex + prof): 1D20+2+2 = [7]+2+2 = 11

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:40 am

You're pretty sure you *could* spring it, but get a feeling it's gonna make some noise to do so, and stop short of unlocking it.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:43 am

Coljin will continue to add the noise to this battle and cast Toll the Dead again, on the creature first damaged by the guard's spears.

Toll the dead: 1D12 = [2] = 2

He then asks Ulmwin or anyone in hearing range, "They just keep coming, does anyone have any idea how to close this gate?"

He tries to see if he recalls any info about that: arcana Arcana: 1D20 = [14] = 14

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:18 pm

The creature shakes off the effects of the bell tolling its end.
► Show Spoiler
Coljin's not too clear on portal lore, but finding some way to disrupt the magic is probably necessary...

More guards file in one of them getting a clear shot at the one on Dornikal, scoring a good hit.
Anders swings down at the one grappling one of his guards, slicing deep with both swings of the longsword.
The two guards with crossbows perched atop the dead tentacle beast only have clear shots at the one attacking Dornikal, so they take them, one missing, while the other hits it in the neck.

Turn Order:

Dornikal (49/56)
Holger (22/33) (Conc: Hex: 1 hour; Rounds of Chaos Remaining: 3; rounds of 20 ft teleport remaining: 5; rounds of target on his back remaining: 6; fog cloud: 1 hour; Can only shout: 9) (Concentration check?)
Squad C (Readied Attacks)
Squad B (Readied Attacks)
Randerwaith (21/37)
Eel-head
Anemone-neck
Squid-hand
Octo-shoulders
Coljin (32/32)
Squad E
Squad F
Anders
Squad D
Ulmwin (37/37) <--------------------<<<
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:19 pm

Nem whispers a curse and decides just to be extra careful and quiet instead. At least the basement is open...

She creeps upstairs to see what she can see.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:26 pm

Dornikal pulls out a new weapon, the longsword this time, and attempts to remove his attacker's neck from it's body but likely fails.

Attack on Anemone-neck: 1D20+6 = [2]+6 = 8
1D6+4+1D6+2+2 = [4]+4+[1]+2+2 = 13

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:54 pm

Sorry! Hardly been home this weekend! Also I don't think Randy would notice the lack of teeth as Holger couldn't cast the spell as I assumed and then not have a reason to open his mouth. Besides, he's so horribly vain that he would attempt to hide the fact by covering his mouth with his arm or something like that while he prepares to launch a spell. :roll:

I guess I would have had Holger ready the attack instead if you want to use the previous rolls? Also refraining from using shield.

Holger shifts the curse to the creature attacking him and attempts to stab it with a dagger but fails to do so as a vision distracts him.

Holger dagger: 1d20+5 = [3] = 8
Holger concentration: 1d20+4 = [8] = 12
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:33 pm

Ulmwin keeps up his attempts to debalitate and murder with words

1d4 = [2] = 2

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:10 pm

((No worries! If you ready the attack, that takes Concentration, and he'd lose Hex, so probably most spell efficient to just have waited? If you'd rather have dropped Hex to hold the blast, I can retro that in.))

Ulmwin casts vicious mockery on the creature that is currently trying to choke the life out of one of the guards, the creature shuddering and looking around for who said those mean things.
► Show Spoiler
Dornikal wants to make sure all of his weapons get a chance to play, and pulls out his longsword, but only chops air and water with it.

Holger's magic flares as he BELLOWS THE WORDS TO MOVE HEX TO A NEW TARGET before he swipes a dagger at the creature harrying him, but it glances off the rubbery flesh.

The portal rips a open a few more inches.

One of the guards slips around behind the portal and joins with one of his fellows in stabbing spears into the one that Ulmwin just mocked.
One of their squadmates steps up and stabs at the one closest to the portal, but her spear thrust misses.
Two more guards step forward, one getting in range to attack the one with the octopus tentacles, and just manages to chop it down. The injured, previously grappled guard retreats from the front line as the other guard who was advancing steps up and takes a swing at the eel-headed creature by the portal, but one of the coral embedded arms knocks the blade away.
Lurks, in case you can't see:
► Show Spoiler

Turn Order:

Dornikal (49/56)
Holger (22/33) (Conc: Hex: 1 hour; Rounds of Chaos Remaining: 2; rounds of 20 ft teleport remaining: 4; rounds of target on his back remaining: 5; fog cloud: 1 hour; Can only shout: 10)
Squad C
Squad B
Randerwaith (21/37) <--------------------<<<
Eel-head
Anemone-neck
Squid-hand
Octo-shoulders
Coljin (32/32)
Squad E
Squad F
Anders
Squad D
Ulmwin (37/37)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:23 pm

((Er, yeah. Randy gave the lance to Anders [who can probably use it better] just before this round of the shin dig started. He's going back to his old trusty swords . ))

Randy goes after the one next to Holger:

Sword 1: 1d20+5 = [18] = 23
Damage: 1d6+3 = [3] = 6

Sword 2: 1d20+5 = [14] = 19
Damage: 1d6+3 = [4] = 7

Total: 13

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:35 pm

((Ah, missed/forgot that. Anders is more comfortable with his longsword.))

Randy carves into the one facing Holger, managing to slice it up pretty good.

The eel-headed monster slams both fists into the guard by the gate, but doesn't manage to give him a chomp.
Anemone-neck flails at Dornikal, but the dwarf manages to duck all three attacks, even though his head goes underwater each time.
The squid-handed enemy snaps its chitinous chest arms at Holger, both missing, before thrusting its tentacle arm at him.

((Will hit, do you wish to shield?))

Turn Order:

Dornikal (49/56)
Holger (22/33) (Conc: Hex: 1 hour; Rounds of Chaos Remaining: 2; rounds of 20 ft teleport remaining: 4; rounds of target on his back remaining: 5; fog cloud: 1 hour; Can only shout: 10)
Squad C
Squad B
Randerwaith (21/37)
Eel-head
Anemone-neck
Squid-hand
Octo-shoulders
Coljin (32/32) <--------------------<<<
Squad E
Squad F
Anders
Squad D
Ulmwin (37/37)
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:39 pm

Coljin hollars in his fast, high-pitched way, "We need some sort of magic to disrupt the magic of the portal, or they'll just keep coming in. Anyone know what or how to do that??"

He will again cast Toll the Dead on an injured abomination, that is attacking the guards.

Toll the dead, (being very useless) 1d12 = [1] = 1

He points and ask his guard to move west towards and south past Ulmwin to see what is on that side of the room that might help close the portal.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:00 pm

None of the creatures pay any attention to the tolling of the bell. Junara nods, and beckons for his squad's lantern bearer to follow.

Some guards reposition, a pair of them charging through the line to get into the middle of the enemy formation.

Anders maneuvers around some of his men, boxing in the one right in front of the portal, but turning to help Dornikal shed his attacker, slashing it across the back, then through the neck, shearing through the ring of tentacles.
None of the guards with crossbows have a clear shot, so ready their weapons to loose if the opportunity presents itself.

Turn Order:

Dornikal (49/56)
Squad C
Squad B
Randerwaith (21/37)
Eel-head
Anemone-neck
Squid-hand
Octo-shoulders
Coljin (32/32)
Squad E
Squad F
Anders
Squad D
Ulmwin (37/37) <--------------------<<<
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:02 pm

((Nem snuck upstairs, just in case you missed her action))

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:32 am

((More vicious mockery for now, can't roll))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:04 am

Dornikal takes another swing at anenome neck's neck.

Attack on Anemone-neck part 2: 1D20+6 = [1]+6 = 7
1D6+4+2+1D6+2 = [5]+4+2+[1]+2 = miss

It goes poorly.