The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:05 pm

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:27 pm

"I think this is a longer conversation for another day..."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:41 pm

"...what exactly is your research anyway?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:44 pm

"Lower levels? Sure that may work but aye or someone will need to go and let'm know."

He looks at the others,

"So yer friend is out here in the desert somewhere?"

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:07 am

spiderwrangler wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:27 pm "I think this is a longer conversation for another day..."
Randy looks a bit suspicious, but gives a grudging nod.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:04 am

Ulmwin listens carefully, brows suddenly peaking up for a moment when he hears the dwarf mention "plane-touched"... So there was some truth to that after all? He had always silently chalked it up to a bout of momentary madness, finding it too crazy, and these supposed "powers" didn't really seem to show themselves much. He had kept quiet about it out of respect, but perhaps he should have given Randy more credit. Something that is on the back of his mind as he speaks up again.

"Thinking about it more, I think I know of an arrangement that would fit for me, at least- Others may disagree. But I'd say first thing to be done if we are this task for you, is to have these curses removed. Consider it collateral if you must, but that at least would be in both our interest... The curse causes serpents to go mad at the sight of us, and attack- And I'm certain you don't want this bunch of plucky young adventurers to find themselves delayed by what we can all account, are many snakes hidden in the desert, especially if we wane from the path."

"In the meantime, I do think Szartha and others would like to stay here, and getting us to Estmont directly would then be considered a great boon, once we are finished. I admit I'm not certain what additional reward there should be, if any- But by the sound of things, I don't expect this to be a walk in the park, as this girl you talk about sounds... Capable- And either found herself overwhelmed, or decided she'd rather have your artifact for herself."

"Though saying that, I can see at least one of us has ideas of payment already in mind." he says, looking pointedly at Randy for just a moment. "And I'll admit I'm not rightly sure what he might be talking about... But I've the inkling it's the kind of information that holds a hefty price on it's own. Still, I know him well enough, and I'd say that if it's him imploring about it, it's about a noble and most important matter that needs be done, should that weigh on your opinion, whatever it may be, or whatever may happen." he nods once, then continues.

"So perhaps this could be the arrangement: all of us get to ask one favor- Long as it is within the realm of reason and possibility, of course. I'll admit I'm not quite certain what I'd ask for at this time, but I think a good number of us would be happy with just a monetary reward if nothing else." he says, finally finishing his spiel, looking around the room and ending with the elder. "Does that sound like it'd be a fair arrangement to all..?"

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:28 am

(( :lol: All the exploding arrows and mini detonations when Randy whacked something weren't a clue? Dang! Randy's missing an opportunity here! He should go into prize fighting after getting a level or two of monk. He'd probably clean up in his weight class. :D ))

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:30 am

((I mean, back when Randy was doing his initial demonstration it was specified the effect wasn't really obvious, was it? The extra punch was definitely noticed to Randy, and Ulmwin should maybe have made the connections with the Jackalweres... But I think it's not impossible he'd have been mostly clueless to it :P

Unless I missed something and it would have been obvious of course.))

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:51 am

(( I'll grant the initial demo wasn't impressive...since he tried it on a non sentient tree (that may have been dead?). The follow up splatter fest (and I do mean splatter) with zombies and lizards SHOULD have been a clue to something unusual was going on. Granted I don't know for sure Ulmwin was someplace where he could have seen some of it. :P ))

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:02 am

Cojlin listens to the list of answers and smiles as everyone talks so much. The smile only goes away a bit when they are speaking Dwarvish and he cannot understand what is going on.
During a break in conversation he asks the elder dwarf, "So, where did you last track your associate? And who was it she bought the item from?" With the follow up question, "You don't want to really tell us what the sphere does, I get that, but do we have to be concerned about touching it or how we handle or safeguard it once retrieved?"

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:09 am

"Or if it could be used against us in some way, I suppose."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:41 am

"...what exactly is your research anyway?"

His eyes light up, "Ah, currently it do be an in-depth study of protostellar disc formation! Fascinating stuff, their existence do be characterized by massive energy exudation and incorporation. Heat fluctuation is particularly interesting, cosmic dust being a determining factor in buffering the system. Then taking into account the energy efficiency of gas compression, of course, yeh must be sure to use Balbus's fourth calculation to derive the proper formula, otherwise yeh'll fall into the same trap that Hawley did! Of course, none of that applies, if the formation cluster is birotational, rather than spiralating disc, additional considerations are thus needed to ensure that you're not running afoul of photodesorption or photodessociation losses that would otherwise skew your findings. Now, measuring gradients perpendicular to the disc axis of orientation do give us a strand discharge value, that can be used to determine the ionization frequency and presence of any chemostatic anomolies. Repeated deflections in the magneto-rotational array is still highly debated, but I'm of the opinion that Ja'liran was onto something with her proposal to instead use a model of..."

"Ah... er that is... I study the stars.", he finishes a bit weakly. "I'm at times able to discern portents and predictions from my studies."

((Randy *might* be enough of a nerd to make an INT check with disadvantage, but he's probably spouting nonsense jargon to most of you.))

"Lower levels? Sure that may work but aye or someone will need to go and let'm know." "So yer friend is out here in the desert somewhere?"

"To be sure. The sooner we wrap up here, the sooner I can re-key the door to do that."
"She may be. I don't know for certain where she is."

"Removing yer curses as a downpayment on yer services sounds reasonable. Don't need yeh dying of snakebite before yeh finish the job."

"Yer right, she was capable, and as close to a friend as I've had in recent years. I'd not like to think that she's nipped off with the artifact and is just dodging my summons, but I suppose it's possible. Be prepared for the worst, I suppose."

"Knowledge of the Gate of the Planes, it do be hefty knowledge... and dangerous. A matter that we may discuss at a future date.", he says, also with a glance towards Randy.

"A favor each? Beyond removal of yer curses, and transportation to Estmont for yeh, the folks down below, three wagons, and six mules? Let us put a number on this favor, I do not be that comfortable just leaving it completely open ended. In addition to that already discussed, payment in the form of 200 gold each, or a comparably valued favor, on which I have final approval?"

"Ah... Didn't say she bought it... just that she acquired it. Should they have... reacquired it, that would be a good place to start. Without getting into particulars, the device was built by some ancient peoples, and served in part as a sort of star chart. Right now I only have the partial notes I'd made before loaning it to my former student, but with it to study, I use the comparison to current positions to advance my research. Touching it shouldn't be an issue, though activating it at the wrong time could certainly give your position away. Of course, if it's current possessor wishes to track it and either is or has someone who can cast the right spell, they may be able to track yeh. A lead box should take care of that."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:46 am

Maji wonders what he could buy with 200 gp. Maybe he can get himself a magic item! Maji excitedly writes I am interested in items of power. Know or have any?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:56 am

"What did you have in mind?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:01 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:41 am
((Randy *might* be enough of a nerd to make an INT check with disadvantage, but he's probably spouting nonsense jargon to most of you.))
(( Challenge accepted. :D ))

Int(dis)#1:1d20+1 = [17] = 18

Int(dis)#2: 1d20+1 = [17] = 18

:ugeek: :chuckle:

"You can actually see the accretion disc of a protostar with this device? Enough to get meaningful readings? Fascinating! I didn't think any but the major temples in the capital cities had anything that powerful. And it's so small! How did you manage the magnification with that small of a collecting surface? The temple's are at least 3 to 4 times as big. And they're still prone to atmospheric distortion and light pollution (although I do seem to remember a treatise suggesting that a dry atmosphere might be better, and we're well away from any light sources). " Randy looks like a kid in the candy store. "Could I look"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:20 pm

"Aye don't have a curse...what is removal of a curse worth? Ye have any unusual stones? Or...could you make meh faster or somethin'? I have some magic beans to trade if yer interested."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:21 pm

"Oh!"

He's totally back into overly enthusiastic researcher mode, completely ignoring the rest of you.

"Bah, the cities are the worst place to build an observatory! Just puffery so they can compete over who has the bigger starscope. Not the size of yer tube, my boy, it's all about how yeh use it! Of course, sometimes that means proper application of magic. Best places are middle of the desert, or tops of mountains, if you get up high enough, there's hardly any atmosphere to distort, and once the thermal flux abates in the desert, it do be proper for good observations."

He holds out a hand for Randy to help him to his feet.

((Ulmwin's probably a big enough nerd to make the same sort of check, he DID recognize the device when you walked in, while Randy didn't. Apparently Randy was expecting something bigger, I suppose?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:18 pm

Maji thinks for a bit, not exacly sure what he wants, and also what could be useful. Magic saddle would be useful. Allies won't be tossed off easily when bear or other creature. Not sure about what magic.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:27 pm

Randy bounces to his feet and lets the dwarf show him to the eye piece. "What's it's current azimuth and altitude set for it? I didn't know of any major objects in that section of the sky? At least I don't remember seeing anything there when I visited the temple's star scope. (But you're right, the view in town is pretty poor.) "

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:37 pm

Ulmwin blinks a couple times as the two nerds start talking, apparently completely bewildered.

Intelligence: 2D20.LOW(1) = [3, 6] = 3

While he indeed knew what the device was, he had never quite used one, besides the occasional glance, so any of the more technical talk was completely foreign to him... Still, he couldn't help but laugh slightly.

"Ahaha, I can appreciate the enthusiasm! It's a bit too specific of a subject for me to really find interest in it I think, but I understand it. I'm a bard myself, so my interest of knowledge lies mostly in history and song rather than the stars."

"I'll let you two to it- As for the offer however... Two hundred gold as a max seems fine to me." he states, again looking about to the others. "And if that's the case with the lass, I'll hold on hope that she'll be alright."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:34 pm

The old dwarf excitedly climbs up to the top of the stone pedestal, Randy trailing him, before seating himself in the chair and placing his hands on two of the glowing orbs. As he manipulates them, the bronze tube and the opening in the ceiling move. "Ah, well, give me a moment... alright, now look. And over here... Oh, and this one is always a favorite... your city scopes won't get resolution like that!"

It goes on like that for a bit.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:38 pm

Dornikal wonders if he is being ignored but shrugs and instead goes around looking at books or anything else the would help him remember this old dwarf's clan, because despite what he says it is important.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:42 pm

((I'll take an INT check from you, then an Investigate that might have advantage if you do high enough on the initial INT check.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:44 pm

Randy looks over the telescope while he's up there. " No lens? Then how are you....? A mirror? I've heard of using a mirror as a light collector, but I've never seen one! THAT'S how you're able to get that much magnification! The mirror is at least 4 times bigger than the lens at the temple! So light goes in here, the focal point is here where the secondary mirror reflects it to the eye piece...." He looks around to the dwarf excitedly. "How difficult is it to make the mirrors? And how sensitive is the mounting? Is this something that you could make portable? "

((And now you have an explanation for why Randy didn't recognize it at first! :P ))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:50 pm

"A-hah! Yeh've hit upon it exactly! Took me thirty-seven years to get it just right! Might be possible to make it portable, but putting it in a wagon or some such, it'd get bounced all about, much more elegant to make my TOWER portable!"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler