Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:52 pm

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:56 pm

You obviously recognize the Dwarven runes on the spines of the books, and are able figure out the basics of his organization system that uses them to categorize books by subject, but there doesn't seem to be a section for personal journals or histories of dwarven clans.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:05 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:50 pm "A-hah! Yeh've hit upon it exactly! Took me thirty-seven years to get it just right! Might be possible to make it portable, but putting it in a wagon or some such, it'd get bounced all about, much more elegant to make my TOWER portable!"
Randy gives a rueful grin. "True. But it's not something I could do. Ah, well. At least I know it's possible to get such images without 20 yards of empty tube and a couple of big pieces of finicky glass." He looks over at the others, blushes, and looks sheepish. "Sorry. I...ah... really enjoyed my time at the temple observatory. If I wasn't doing this, that's probably where I'd be."

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:16 pm

Holger will follow Randy and the dwarf towards the top of the tower or any other opening in the tower, attempting to cast a silent image outside with the "it's all good" sign for the others so they don't have to worry outside. He'll go back to the others afterwards and mull over a possible reward.

How long till we reach Estmont the regular way?
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:21 pm

((We are weeks away from Estmont.))

Dornikal continues to look around.

((Any chance he would see a magnifying glass or the like that would help him with stone working? That'd be interesting for him.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Kreldoran seems startled when a Holger joins them to make an image appear outside the tower beside the end of the tube. He gives you a bit of an irritated look for temporarily obscuring his scope.

His exhuberance at sharing his research sated for the moment, Kreldoran returns to the rest of you and picks up dropped threads of conversation.

"So how many of yeh managed to pick up curses? If yeh were just folks off the street, as it were, curse removal would run somewhere around 90 gold. Faster? Might have something around here somewhere..."

"A magic saddle? No, can't say I... when bear? Wait what?"

"A bard, you say? Can't carry a tune myself, but I spend a few years as a historian... or was it a few decades?"

((Yes, you're weeks from Estmont, another 11 days or so of desert, then travel through the increasingly more fertile lands to the west of the city for another week or so.))

((There are definitely workbenches that have various magnifying lenses and the like.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:15 pm

"Most of us here, I'm afraid. Count for all of our heads, minus one- Our mage here seems to have rid of it himself by some fancy, and the dwarf was never at the instance that got us all cursed; but there is one more of our companions still outside that suffers from it, too. There's a price to be paid for delving into a mummy's tomb it seems. I can tell you more about it later if you'd like, I've been trying to work it into song, should put some ease in your heart that we are indeed capable."

"As for the curse, I do not mind if it'd take longer... Unless you yourself believe there to be need for haste?"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:55 pm

Maji has a glint of mischeviousness when the dwarf wizard seems to have no idea what Maji wrote. Not wanting to make a mess of his room, he changes into a black cat. The only item he leaves out of the transformation is the fire etched copper amulet, which shrinks down to his size.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:51 pm

((Sorry the "faster" was in response to Dornikal saying he was tired of being a slow dwarf. If he takes barbarian level at 5th, movement speed does increase.))

"Six of yeh have mummy curses? Just makes snakes attack you... any other effects? Ye're pretty lucky, I seem to recall there being mummy curses where yer skin sloughs right off over the next few days... suppose yeh'd have noticed that, though. Don't suppose yeh happened to take notes on the interior of the tomb... sketches or the like?"

As Maji hunches over and shrinks to a black cat, Kreldoran gives a cry of surprise, toppling over backward to land in one of the chairs. Straightening his glasses and futilely attempting to smooth his hair, he peers forward.

"Fascinating! I don't take yeh for one afflicted by the lycan, but yer body reconfigured itself... I'd recognize polymorph, and I'm not aware of any dragonborn that are innate shapeshifters... natural magic? I've not had a chance to study anyone skilled in the druidic arts!"

He hobbles forward and scoops up Maji, chattering at the black cat as he heads towards a nearby metal workbench. "The weight reduction is impressive, how small can yeh get? How large can yeh get? Oh, tell me, how long are yeh able to hold the form? I can achieve similar through spells, but of only limited duration. Can yeh do it as often as yeh wish, or are yeh likewise constrained? I imagine that rebuilding bones and organs must be taxing... tell me, is it traumatic when you are damaged in this form and forced back to yer natural one? Does it feel like dying, or does it feel like waking up?"

He sets Maji down on the surface and rummages around in a drawer, "Would yeh permit me to record yer vitals as yeh transition back? Oh... right, communication is an issue... perhaps we can devise a notecard system, but for now, how about one "meow" for "I freely give consent" and two "meows" for "I'd rather not, but am willing to do it for science"?"

He pulls out a pair of pointed instruments with wires attached and eagerly waits for Maji's response.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Maji is surprised when he is picked up, giving a surprised mew. He doesn't fight the dwarf. He thinks about the many questions the dwarf spouts at him.

He tries to think of the smallest thing he's ate and puts his paws to put a similar amount of space between them as a carrion bettle. As for largest he stands on his hind legs and stetches them out wide as he can. As for the more complicated questions, Maji tries to figure out how to make his thoughts known. He looks at the wires worringly, his tail twitching and ears flattened.

Not sure if the dwarf will get it, Maji motions to the pointy bits, nashes his teeth, then puts a paw to his chest.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:41 am

((I am planning on taking the 5th level of barb but the faster the better!))

"Aye'd like to be able to run faster if ye got some magic that'd let meh. Since ye can move a tower figured ye might have something."

Dornikal pauses at the work table with magnifying equipment. He looks it over for something he could wear while working stones so he can be more precise in his cuts. If he finds something like that he will hold it up and ask,

"Do ye think aye could get this, or something like it, in exchange for some of the final payment?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:55 am

"Oh... I may have gotten carried away. Consider it, perhaps another time." He tucks the implements away and returns Maji to a chair.

"I made a potion of speed a century or so back... I don't have a spare set of lenses, but I can give you the name of someone who makes them?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:04 am

"Potion of speed? Aye, sounds about right. Aye'd take a name, aye. Someone in Estmont?"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:16 am

Maji turns to his normal self and motions to the pens and paper, points to himself, then motions writing.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:30 am

"I'd have to find it, and hope yeh don't mind me keeping any connections and referrals to myself until yeh've completed the task?"

"There should be a stack of blank paper to the left... no, under the book... careful... yes. Yeh can write on that if yeh want."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:46 am

"No, aye'm fine to wait for it elder. So what's next then? We get the others inside or?"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:06 am

Maji gives a shrug and he starts writing on the paper. He writes in dwarven for the old man's sake. He sometimes goes to his blackboard to write drafts before putting it on the paper. Here is the start of the paper.

I like to change my form. I feel it gives more freedom, more options. The smallest I've been is spider. Largest is brown bear. Being beast of burden in desert no fun though, it sucks and makes me feel pity for donkey. I hate feeling pity.

Maji looks up at the old man and writes on his board. What were the questions again?

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:37 am

Randy finishes looking through the scope and rejoins the discussion.

"Do you know of any specialized gear that we might need, or do you have anything that might give us an edge in getting the job done? "

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:07 am

"We recently ran afoul of some strange Jackal-men, who were barely harmed by our normal weapons. How much would it cost to enchant my crossbow, so that the bolts would hurt such creatures like they would harm a normal being?"

((She'd like a magical crossbow; doesn't have to be +n or anything, just magical to count for damage))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:19 pm

He pauses to reflect on what he asked Maji, ticking them off on his fingers.

"How long can yeh hold the form?
How often can yeh do it, and is it tiring?
When yeh are forced back to this form, what is it like? . With polymorph, the alternate form just poofs, but since this is a restructuring of your form...
If yeh'd at some point consent, I'd like to take notes on the process."

"Don't know if anything specific yeh'd need, but if it's been retaken by one loathe to part with it..."

"Cost may be less prohibitive than the time it'd take to make an enchanted crossbow... And I've little use for one myself.... Ah! Think I might have something that would do in a pinch, I'll have to look for it and make sure the magic still holds."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:37 pm

Maji nods and continues to write down his experiences on his shapechange.

I can hold my form for an hour, unless I stop it or if it gets too damaged. I can change twice before needing to have a short break. Something I want to try but not done was rest as animal and see if I can change more.

Maji thinks for a bit.

Not as tiring as casting spells, but need to small rest to regain energy to do again. Normally forced normal due to damage. I get angry at those that caused it. I turn bear and tear them up. Make them feel pain for making loose form. Sometimes get hurt due to damage going through. Most time unexpected and just feel rage. Not intently made self lose form through hurt, and not focus on how it feel reshape.

He finishes the paper and writes on his board. He also hands the paper to the old man.

I suppose we can try. Don't hurt me much though. Like blood inside body.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:05 pm

Coljin watches the semi chaos of many wanting to talk to the old man and check out the scope. He watches happily, feeling like he is back at home at a village meeting!
Wandering over to Ulmwin he says quickly in gnomish, "I'm just going to wait until we get done with the service before worrying about what I ask for in possible payment. It'll be nice to get the curse off first though."
Then, while all the rest still talk, he will wander over to a bookshelf, take a small book out at random, and then go over to one of the chairs and begin reading.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:26 pm

"If time is the trouble, perhaps you could show me how to enchant it myself instead? Then I wouldn't be keeping you from your own studies as much."

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:15 pm

" I don't suppose you've collected any weapons or armor that might be useful? My swords and bow are good sturdy tools, but there's nothing particularly special about them." Then Randy chuckles. "Well, I guess the one sword does have a light spell on it. I've gotten good effect by channeling planes magic through them, but when push comes to shove, they're still just steel and wood."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:55 pm

"It does tend to work better on the inside. I got carried away, it need not be right now, but if yeh'd be willing to help me with researching the particulars of yer transformation, I'm sure I could provide a stipend of some sort."

Coljin settles down with a treatise discussing the merits of altering seasonal fishing limits to ensure long term viability of fisheries in an area referred to as the Long Shoals by the author.

"Show yeh how to enchant it yerself?! I suppose when yeh're in need of a new sword, yeh just ask the blacksmith to show yeh which end of the hammer to hold?"

"I've no great need to hoard stores of magic weapons or armor. Any I've come across that isn't interesting enough to study usually finds someone who wants it, and is willing to trade more interesting items and the like for it. The item I was telling the young dear about could probably be made to work a bow, but would be easier to adapt it to her crossbow. I'd have to look about a bit."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler