The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:28 am

Dornikal will chat and spar with Galt and Tren a bit. He will also trying to learn the basics of draconic from the dragonborn while trying to get a better idea of the nature of the creatures they will be fighting and how they first appeared.

He'll help out on a watch as well.

???: 1D12 = [6] = 6

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:23 am

Randy will spend his time chatting with and dragonborn who's interested about small unit tactics. He's decided that if they're going to start a city state in the middle of no where, he's going to give them a hand in learning how to defend it.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:37 am

Coljin will not help with watches at this point, as he would not be much help really anyhow. When up and walking he will hang out a bit more with Zokk, trying to figure out his new companion a bit more.

"So, Zokk, How much do you remember about Maji? Did the memories of his experiences pass on to you? Can you access the memories when he explored the Gnomish ruins?"

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:47 pm

"I knooow biiits aaand piiieeceees, soooomeeewhaat muuudyyy. Iiiiis theeeeree aaanyyythiing yooouuu wiiish tooo knooow?"

"....I haaaveee soooomeee oooof hiiis eeexpeeeriiieencees, aaaand wheeen I feeel liiiikeeee I aaaam iiiin daaangeeer...I reeeelyyy ooon hiiiim toooo heeelp."

"Waaas thaaaat theee ooooneee wiiith theeee giiiaaaant moooonsteeer iiin theee piiiit? Oooor theeee tiiinyyy eeeeviiil plaaaant noooon friiiieeends?"

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:17 pm

"No, nothing I need to know from you Zokk, I was just curious how much of him is in you.
That was the one with the tiny evil plants, the blights. It was my first big adventure with Maji.

Are there many others like you? I've heard of sentient trees before, Treants, but I've never heard of your kind before until I've met you."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:58 pm

With the dragonborn and Randy and Zokk, Dornikal learns enough to be able to understand a few simple words like "Danger", "Look", "Quiet", "Attack", and a few others that might come up in battle.

The night of travel passes uneventfully, you come across some traces of desert dwelling creatures, but nothing that wants to tangle with a band of your size.

There are no geographic features to provide shelter from the sun, but your guides unpack hide shelters and get them expertly set up to give you a place to wait out the day.

((Feel free to keep RPing, but I'll take another d12.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:39 pm

"Hmmm... I aaaam nooot suuureee."
arcana [1d20+1] = 8+1 = 9

"Maaaybee theee eeeviiil plaaants thaat aaareee cloooseeest? Ooor paaareent? Thooouugh paareent doooeees nooot speeek cooomooon."

[1d12] = 8

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:51 pm

"So, Zokk, do you all revere a certain god?

Oh, and what languages other than common can you speak?"

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:53 pm

”I haaaveee twooo gooods. Chaaauuunteeeaaa of the gooodeeess ooof eeaaarth aaaand plaaants aaand Laaathaaandeeer oooof biiirth aaand ooof daaawn. Boooth siiimiiilaaar buuut diiifeeereeent.”

“I caaan speeaak draaagoon koiin, iiits eeeaaasiiieer thaaan cooomooon. I caaan aaalsooo speeaaak tooo plaaants.”

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:52 am

Dornikal continues to try and learn words and will ponder on what is going on with his clan.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:25 am

Randy elicits a lively discussion on how to adapt human style squad and company tactics to the dragonborns' unique abilities (squads of all one breath weapon vs mixed, their strength, etc.), usefulness of some human weapons (siege engines of various types), the role of sappers and how to defend against, with lessons being drawn out on the ground.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:10 am

Ulmwin spends his time practicing music, and observing the culture of some of the dragonborn. He seems to take particular interest in catching comprehend languages, and ask some of them questions about history... As long as he can find a way to make himself understood, at least.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:04 am

The dragonborn don't seem to anticipate being put under siege, as the sieging army would need to traverse the desert to reach them, but they pay attention to Randy's stories, and ask good questions, that while inexperienced and naïve in some ways, reveal that they grasp the basics of army warfare, but only in an abstract sense, being more accustomed to smaller unit and squads.

((Ulmwin has Randy and Zokk to translate for him, so if you have specific questions, feel free to ask.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:22 pm

((Assuming that Zokk is providing translations for those who are wanting it.))

Translated from Dragon : "While your gem mines by themselves probably wouldn't tempt an army, your mines in combination with a close by city for a base of operations probably will. Your gem mines are a powerful resource, but also a powerful temptation to greedy outsiders. If you show that you're ready and able to defend what's yours, you're less likely to have someone try to take it away by force. A desert is only an inconvenience to an invading army if you're not prepared to defend it. It's a mighty ally if you are."

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:58 pm

Zokk does not mind translating, but it won’t be word for word, and complicated words would probably be mistranslated or not translated.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:58 pm

It seems more like Ulmwin would glady share more stories with the Dragonborn himself, rather than the other way around, but needing someone else to translate for him makes it rather hard. So he keeps it only at anecdotes, telling off the massive walls grand cities raised to protect themselves, and also of watch towers raised to keep guard. The latter they may find especially useful, as the empty desert would mean they could spot a threat coming from far, far away.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:24 am

<<Translated from dragon>>
"Let's not rush too fast. Before you'll need walls like that, you'll have to have built a permanent city with businesses that can't be readily moved. That will come with time, but let's worry about what you have now. The fact that you don't have permanent buildings yet still has some advantages. Your people can pack up and scatter with a major threat. What you need now is a series of watch posts to give you warning and a strong point to defend the oasis and make it difficult for someone else to move in. Something like the wizard's tower for example. If your elders can convince him to stay put and help out, you'd have a head start on a couple of fronts.
He's a sky watcher, so the clear desert air might be a good selling point to start with. He's also a wizard, so if you can find something that helps with his magic (like access to your gems and maybe some assistants or even students) he might be more inclined to stay. If not, at least get a good look at his tower and how it's built. It'd would give you something to aim for. Regardless, your first major defense works are likely going to have be mainly baked mud brick with some stone mixed in. Gotta use what you have at hand. You can always upgrade to stone later."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:16 pm

They pay close attention, but do note that some of these grand plans would probably be best shared with the elders, as they are just the hunters and fixers.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:30 am

Your day of rest goes undisturbed, and you ready yourselves to begin trekking across the desert through the night.

((Someone roll me a d12 please?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:56 am

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:55 am

The party comes across some disturbed sand. At a glance, it looks like a group of something moved through here diagonal to your travel, relatively recently give that the sand hasn't blown over it.

((I'll take a Survival check, please! And can I also get 2d12 rolled?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:36 am

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:44 am

((Someone will have to roll for me. Appears that Mort's roller is on the fritz. 1d20+5 ))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:04 pm

Coljin, you're fairly sure that the tracks are humanoid, and would guess somewhere between a dozen and two dozen individuals.

((Randy Survival: 1D20+5 = [13]+5 = 18
))

Randy, you would put the number somewhere closer to a dozen and a half, and you spot a scrap of torn fabric half buried in the sand. It is dry and stained, and when you sniff it, has a scent of rot and decay to it.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:19 pm

"What we got Randy? The dragonborn aware of anyone moving through here?"