The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:24 pm

((LOOT THE ROOM!!))

Nemeia will casually step out of the shadows and give Holger a smile before wandering over to the dead tree to retrieve her arrows. While she's looking for her arrows, she'll also check around the room in case there's anything else of interest in here. If not, she'll use her normal dagger to break off a piece of the blighted tree (like a small branch or splinter chunk) to take with her as a souvenir. Since she assumes that Randy especially won't approve of that sort of thing, she will try to be subtle about it:

Sleight of Hand: 1D20+6 = [1]+6 = 7

But she's too damn pleased with herself to worry too much about hiding anything.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:26 pm

As Tess snaps off a branch of the tree blight, it gives a noticeable *crack* that sounds throughout the room.

**Regarding room looting, I'd like a general indication of what/where you would like to search, as well as an Investigation roll.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:38 pm

Oh cool, I'm good at investigating :P

Well, Nem is just looking for her arrows, so that would be around the vine blight corpse and the tree blight for now: Investigation: 1D20+2 = [5]+2 = 7

Yup.

If she notices any of the corpses in the planters (near the tree blight or vine blight on the left side of the room only), she'll gasp in distress at how horrible the blights are, and will check the bodies a bit in case there are any identifying marks or jewelry or anything. She isn't SUPER interested in getting her hands dirty, so will only do a thorough check if it looks like it would be worthwhile.

Investigation: 1D20+2 = [14]+2 = 16

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:58 pm

You find all of your arrows except the one you punched through its gullet, that was destroyed in the process. You do notice that the tree blight has three roughly humanoid bundles wrapped up in vines that were previously suspended in its boughs. A foot pokes out of one.

((There are 9 'planters', numbering from the SW entrance, let's refer to them as 1-9. Also, with the flurry of battle over (definitely not because I forgot to describe it earlier), you all notice that there are what seem to be lids that have been knocked to the side of each of the 'planters', some of which are inscribed with a worn, faded likeness...))

You take a look in the planters to the left of the dead tree blight. The first (#3), is empty of any fresh body, though you do see a pool of liquefied remains in the bottom, a few bones protruding, some seemingly quite a bit older. The upper one still is full of baby vine blights, they seem to notice your presence and stretch writhing vines in your direction. They appear to be of an oddly mottled color. Each of the half dozen or so blights has been... planted... in the bloody torso of a human male, still partially clad in torn leather armor, his body folded and crammed into the stone box that is a few feet too short for him. As you approach, one of his eyes flutters open, looking at you.

((I'll leave it up to you to determine what is worthwhile. ;) ))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:08 pm

Zephyr collects her thrown weapons and investigates the room.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:12 pm

It's a medium sized room with a high ceiling. There are a bunch of odd looking stone containers that seem to have been used to grow baby blights, a dead tree blight and some other various blights, a mound of debris similar to, but much larger than those you'd encountered in other blight rooms, and 7 other adventurers.

spiderwrangler wrote:**Regarding room looting, I'd like a general indication of what/where you would like to search, as well as an Investigation roll.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:13 pm

Nemeia screams and leaps back from the man.

"Coljin!! COLJIN! He's still alive!!"

She points somewhat wildly at the planter before gathering her courage a bit and creeping back to look at him more closely, but keeping well away from the creepy viney baby blights. These are not what she thought baby groots would be like.
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:26 pm

Zephyr starts murdering the baby blights.
After investigating of course.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:28 pm

((I think you still need that roll badge :)))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:29 pm

((And telling me which you're starting with and how.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:42 pm

thinkslogically wrote:Nemeia screams and leaps back from the man.

"Coljin!! COLJIN! He's still alive!!"

She points somewhat wildly at the planter before gathering her courage a bit and creeping back to look at him more closely, but keeping well away from the creepy viney baby blights. These are not what she thought baby groots would be like.
Randy quietly starts cursing in Orcish. "Check the planters and the bundles. See if there's anyone one we can save. Quickly now! Poor beggars..."
He'll start with the bundles in the tree.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:44 pm

They are pretty obviously mangled beyond the shape that the typical humanoid conforms to... that, along with the blood seeping from between the vines is a pretty good indication that they are pretty thoroughly dead.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:07 pm

"Ach! Too late for these. We'll check them more thoroughly later." He moves on to planter 9 and begins working his way down from there.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:28 pm

Once Coljin is certain the planter people cannot be saved he heads back to Maji and feeds the druid one of his own good berries.
He will then head back into the planter he had been fighting in. Once he is certain the man is dead, he well say a quick prayer that his soul is in peace. He will then search the planter and body carefully.

Please roll inv for me. Im on cell and it hates coyote

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:57 pm

Maji rubs his head and observe his surroundings. He points to the people frantically searching the planters with a confused ook on his face, no idea what is going on. He looks over the dead tree, making sure it is infact dead. He wonders what could have caused this tree to grow so twisted, he searches it over for clues (and items)

Investigate, nature: 1D20-1 = [19]-1 = 18
1D20-1 = [6]-1 = 5

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:41 pm

As the tree stumbles in Rudolphs direction about to die, Rudolph steps back and away. Prodding it one time with its sword to make sure its dead he returns to the hallway for his orb and the torch there, he then makes the orb rise in the center of the room to give people light as search. He then uses the torch going round the "twig" planters burning them up.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:30 am

"I've seen what is in those planter boxes... Look, I'd want to make sure we can't do anything first, but I think it's more reasonable to say to... Just make it quick for them." Ulmwin states, although looking extremely hesitant to be the one delivering this "mercy"... He'd already had done so, if mostly accidentally.

Instead he'll go investigate the large pile, expecting a lot of the valuables to once again have been stowed there.

((Boo, I was under the impression that bosses exploded like a loot pinata... :P))

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:00 am

Zephyr doesn't care much about spare coins which might be in the room for some greedy person like tess to take, but her eyes scan the room for weapons or gear that will aid her in her fight against the world.

Investigation roll: _: 1D20+2 = [19]+2 = 21
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:29 am

Holger comes to a bit of a grim conclusion as he gets a better look around but decides not to say anything about it. He decides to take a look through the center of the debris pile. He's looking for anything that might seem useful as he tries to dig into the center of it. Suspecting he might find another 'planter'. Seems to match the layout if there should be one more hidden there.

Holger investigation: 1D20+2 = [12]+2 = 14
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:28 am

If Randy finds any survivors, he'll do what he can to stabilize them and get rid of the baby whatevers.

medicine: 1D20+3 = [20]+3 = 23 (Apparently Randy is a qualified trauma surgeon.)

While checking the planters for survivors Randy will take a quick look for loot:
investigation: 1D20+1 = [8]+1 = 9 (Eh, that seems about right. He's focused on something besides loot at the moment.)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:27 am

Rudy: You retrieve your light and have it hover in the center of the room. Between that and the few torches carried by some of your members, the room is well lit.

Tess: As you discover the man is still alive, his dry, blood crusted lips open and he wheezes... ((Insight check please))

Randy: Alerted by Tess, you call out for the others to check the planters and their contents, before briefly inspecting the dead bundles that had been suspended from the tree's branches. While definitely dead, they could be cut free from the vines.

You move the the southeast corner of the room, and peer into the planter (#9). Two dead twig blights are implanted in the chest of a silk clad elven male, who also seems to be dead, blackened blood seeping from eyes, nose and mouth. The other twig blights planted in him are still alive, and seem to be struggling to pull their rootlets from his flesh. With a slurping pop, one of them detaches and begins crawling to the edge of the planter, but isn't able to make it over the lip. You reach out at first to grasp it, but it shifts its features as it senses you approaching, swinging with tiny little claws.

A swift jab of the short sword to each ends their struggle. You continue up to the next planter (#8), and find a dead dwarf, the blights implanted in him also struggling and just starting to free themselves. You dispatch them as well.

Moving on (#7), you find your first planter with a live victim, a human male. You consider the situation, and with as deep as the divot left by the blight that got free was, you don't see a way that you could remove the blights and still preserve his life. You're certain that such a task might well be beyond even the most skilled healers in your order.

There is a small pouch at his side...

Coljin: You hurry over to Tess, inspecting the poor fellow in her planter (#4), you are pretty sure that he has suffered too much damage for you to repair, even if you hadn't expended your reserves of healing magic. It would likely take healing beyond your current capabilities to be able to fix him, and there is no telling whether his mind would ever be whole after what he's gone through for who knows how long.
Regretfully, you turn and head back to Maji... someone you can help, as you chomp down on the good berry and taste its tart juices fill your mouth. Careful not to swallow any of it, you tip the druids head back and spit the mush down his throat.

You head over to the planter (#5) that you had been standing in, and find 180 copper and 12 silver in one of his pockets. He's kind of a gooey mess.
Maji: You wake up, the taste of goodberry in your mouth. After a moment of panic, you realize that all but the baby blights are dead, and you move over to inspect the tree blight.

Peering into the blight's open maw, you notice that it is indeed hollow, with a gullet of sorts leading to the lower portion of the body. Overall, the tree doesn't strike you as anything you've heard or encountered before though. There are no valuable items immediately visible on the tree.

Rudolph: With the orb in place, you move to the nearest planter (#6), and press the torch against the twig blights, one after the other. As the twig blights burst into flame, the head of the tiefling woman they are planted in turns to you, meeting your eyes momentarily before she succumbs to her injuries and flame.

((Let's have an Insight check please.))

Ulmwin: After voicing the option of giving them mercy, you move to the large pile of debris, and find that it is once again largely comprised of bone, hair, fur, exoskeletons and cloth, with the odd bits of wood and metal interspersed, all flesh, blood, skin having been consumed by the blights. The mound stretches the 30ft across the back wall, and is 10 ft deep, and the rising slope tops out against the back wall a few feet over your head. Where some of it was yanked into the center of the room by the ore you tossed, you can see revealed a portion that is somewhat stratified, with older seeming remains packed into the heap.

((Investigation roll please.))

Zephyr: Striding past Ulmwin, you begin clambering around on top of the pile, kicking loose bits to the side as you search.

You almost thing you see something move, which draws your attention to your right and you get excited when you spot the end of a scabbard protruding from the pile. You grasp it and pull it forth... but it's just the scabbard, made of some sort of dark metal, worked over in an intricately complex pattern. Near the top, just below where the hilt of a sword would rest, is a symbol of a lidless eye.

Rooting around a bit more, you catch a glint of metal, and unearth a set of chainmail, a bit rusted and dirty, but of seemingly good quality and construction. With a bit of cleaning and care, it would be completely serviceable.

Holger: You don't find a planter, as the mound is quite deep here, but there are a few fragments of stone that suggest there might be something under all of that.

You do find a fair bit of valuables, aided in part by Zephyrs disregard for coins and gems, as she knocks a few down right next to you. All told, you find 169 copper, 123 silver, 80 gold and 8 assorted gems that you'd guess are worth roughly 50 gold each.

((You could probably be using Mage Hand to avoid getting too dirty. :P ))

((Let me know if I missed any of you, that was a lot!))

Down Even More Stairs: MAP!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:35 am

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:37 am

Seeing the tree is hallow, Maji starts trying to break it open to see if there is anything inside.

Str: 1D20+2 = [2]+2 = 4

Seeing it is too sturdy, Maji sighs and look through some of the red mess near where the tree is. But all the trama he's been through today he barely thinks strait to look through it.

Investigate: 1D20-1 = [2]-1 = 1
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:43 am

Tess: He's in pain, and seems to be trying to plead for mercy.

Maji: *thump*thump* That's a hollow tree, but still pretty solid.

You find a surprisingly shiny copper.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:09 am

Happy with her finds, zephyr stuffs both away on her person and moves to the dead tree blight. While it didn't make complete sense that something like it could exist at all, perhaps it had something in its stomach from its last meal. Irregardless of oozy guts and such, she hefts the tree on its side and begins rooting and hacking into it to see if there is anything good on the inside.