The Sundered Way - OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way - OOC

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:34 pm

The RL campaign I play a giant alligatorman hillbilly barbarian in is meeting for the first time in a month tomorrow. You wouldn't think that a barbarian would be difficult to keep track of options ("I CAST AXE!!"), but due to a recent magic gauntlet he received, I now have four different attack states. Not Raging. Barbarian Path of the Zealot Raging. Demonic Raging (from the gauntlet). And then I can stack both Zealot and Demonic Raging. So four attack states, and then I can either punch, bite, greataxe, handaxe, javelin, or firebolt (from the gauntlet). Handaxes and javelins can either be melee or thrown, and some of my stuff only triggers while in melee.

Soooo... I made myself four different flow charts for how much damage I should be rolling, dependent on attacks state and method of attack.

Double serving of RAGE please!

So yeah... when double raging, I can punch someone for ~20 damage, and if I'm attacking recklessly I have advantage, so better chances of getting a crit and doing ~30 damage on average (max of 45). On a punch.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:37 pm

That's hilarious :D what level is your hillbilly?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:47 pm

Only hit 4th last session (the gauntlet I got might be a bit OP), so it'll be a little while until I get that extra attack at 5th level... after which I'll need to redo my flow chart, since the radiant damage from Path of the Zealot only applies on the first enemy I hit on my turn. Think it's time to get rid of the javelins or handaxes and pare my options down a bit. Of course... there's no reason to use a javelin or handaxe for melee, so I could probably nix those altogether.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:10 pm

Yeah those are decent STR-based ranged options, but you're not going to beat a greatand with them :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:18 pm

They would mostly be for when I can't run down my next prey, but one of the early sessions I did end up using all of them, I was holding a door shut and throwing at baddies crawling in windows. Being restricted to thrown weapons largely took me out of the fight though. I can't recall if it was a good or bad roll that suggested that something worse would come through the door if I moved... (he's not too bright).

Anyway, this is Krozk, cobbled together from pictures I pulled from the internet. He's a 10 foot tall gatorman who is proficient in the "swamp lute".

Last edited by spiderwrangler on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:48 pm

What he needs is polearm mastery or sentienal so that he can attack more often. :3

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:06 pm

We'll I'll be getting another attack at next level, I used my ASI at 4th to bump STR and DEX by 1 each, which got me to even numbers and improved modifiers for to hit and AC.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:22 pm

I have a question: what happens if I were to druidcraft: light a fire on a bow/bowstring?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:14 pm

It is outside the intent of the spell, and allowing it against an archer would go against the general mechanic seen in other, more fire focused spells.

Fire bolt: "A flammable object hit by this spell ignites if it isn't being worn or carried."
Fireball: "It ignites flammable Objects in the area that aren't being worn or carried."
Firestorm: "...and ignites flammable Objects that aren't being worn or carried."

If it were an unattended bow, I'd allow it (date stamp this post ;) ), so it's possible that it could be utilized in that manner at some point in the future, but you wouldn't be able to use it on a bow being carried by someone... though I'd say you could use it on a candle or torch being carried by someone. :shrug: Of course, if someone were holding an unlit candle and got hit by fireball, I'd probably say their candle gets lit. :lol:

In short, I'm going to say it wouldn't work, in part for the above justifications, but also because if I allow it, it opens the door for me making life miserable for the ranged characters in your party too, if their bowstrings are that susceptible!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:29 pm

I figured you wouldn't allow anything to happen but it can't hurt to ask.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:31 pm

If you want to make good use of it, maybe on the braziers at the end so we can see the attackers at a distance? :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:42 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:I figured you wouldn't allow anything to happen but it can't hurt to ask.
Yup, I can't say "Yes" if you don't ask!
Theis2 wrote:If you want to make good use of it, maybe on the braziers at the end so we can see the attackers at a distance? :P
It'd be a trade off, Maji would have to drop Wild Shape to be able to cast anything, and he's still got full HP in that form and minutes to spare.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:53 pm

Random question: how can maji eat a fire/air elmental when he gets to that? (Shame its not monstrosities that could have been interesting)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:03 pm

With ice cream? :P

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:13 am

Just a reminder, if Coljin ends using turn undead, those within 30 feet that miss a saving throw will flee for one minute, but only until they are damaged, so he'll probably only use it if we get kind of swarmed. So after he turns undead, attack and deal with the ones that are NOT turned first, then we can clean up the turned ones afterwards, who will hopefully be cowering in a corner for one minute.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:07 pm

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:20 pm

Thank you! That is SUPER helpful :D

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:58 am

I've looked a bit in Xanathars for what the tool proficiencies might get us, but I was wondering if those of us that are proficient in perform and an instrument, do we get advantage when we use both in a performance?
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:44 am

The skeletons were armed with crossbows, right?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:05 am

Short weapons. Shortbows and shortswords.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:28 am

Theis2 wrote:I've looked a bit in Xanathars for what the tool proficiencies might get us, but I was wondering if those of us that are proficient in perform and an instrument, do we get advantage when we use both in a performance?
Yup! I plan on implementing that stuff, but haven't gotten around to writing up a post to inform you guys on all of that. I was figuring if it came up, I'd just tell you to take advantage.

For those of you not clear on what Theis is asking, XGtE expands on where the tool proficiencies can be applied to help out with other things, and I think it makes a lot of sense, and makes it feel more worthwhile to have proficiency in those tools. There are other things that it can apply to as well, which is what I've been wanting to compile before writing something up for you.

But basically, yes if we have 4 people all with a 14 Charisma (+2 mod), in my mind it would break down like this:

Performance: No | Lute: No ....... Charisma (Performance) = 1d20 + 2 CHA
Performance: Yes | Lute: No ....... Charisma (Performance) = 1d20 + 2 CHA + 2 Proficiency Bonus (Performance)
Performance: No | Lute: Yes ....... Charisma (Performance) = 1d20 + 2 CHA + 2 Proficiency Bonus (Lute)
Performance: Yes | Lute: Yes ....... Charisma (Performance) = 1d20 + 2 CHA + 2 Proficiency Bonus (Performance) OR 1d20 + 2 CHA + 2 Proficiency Bonus (Lute)

So rather than the proficiency bonuses being additive (1d20 + 2 + 2), mechanically that is the same as having Advantage as they are independent rolls from which you take the higher. Narratively, it would be less that you are making two checks, and more that your combined skill in both performing and playing the lute allows you to do better over all.

This could also apply to combined checks for Deception + Disguise kit, Medicine + Herbalism kit, etc., and I'm sure there are others, as long as they are a justified skill/tool combo.

There may also be times where something would be considered just an ability check, the main one that comes to mind would likely be Dexterity (Thieves' Tools).
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:35 am

So while we're here, does using minor illusion for camouflage grant proficiency or advantage at stealthing like a disguise kit would? It seems like it should do something, but I'm not sure what since I've mostly been using Ily for help (and advantage).

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:17 pm

Survival +herbalism kit to pick up/find/identify certian herbs or plants? Also what happens if you got prof in a tool from two different places?
Last edited by Arch Lich Burns on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:18 pm

It'd possibly depend on how you're using it, but yes, there would be cases were it could get you advantage on certain checks. There may also be times when there isn't a really plausible was that Ily can help, so having minor illusion in the back pocket can be handy.

I can even think of cases where I'd say that minor illusion could remove the need for a stealth check... ;)

@Burns-sounds reasonable. Though nature may be what I'd want for identifying. Unless you have the Expertise feature, proficiency is binary, either you have it or don't, so class and background that both give it don't confer anything extra.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:25 pm

I think you missed my question. I think I edited it while you were typing. Anywyas: Maji has prof in herb kit from two places (background and druid), what happens to the prof thing since it's changing? I know currently I don't add them together.

Also you still have to do stealth checks while invis, attacks just are at a disadvantage.