The Sundered Way - OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way - OOC

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:12 pm

PS - it should be fairly obvious by now that she has darkvision. She's not been pretending to need a torch for a while now :)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:15 pm

Would she have doing this around Dornikal and/or Galt?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:22 pm

No, but she's totally willing to talk to Dornikal once he decides if he'll be leaving his group for ours or not. RIght now, he's really just one of the merchants, and it's a pretty important secret for her to keep.

PS - spider, she'll have a chat with Szartha again soon, I just need to dig out her backstory notes that aren't on the sheet :lol:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:13 pm

Also, probably too late to join at the merchant camp for now, but don't think I really have anything that Ulmwin would want to buy... The only thing he might be interested in is a hand crossbow to dual wield with a shortsword..? If one of you guys could ask and he just pays back if they have it kthxbai. :P

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:48 pm

Nem gets the inexplicable desire to Message Ulmwin all of a sudden for no reason.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:52 am

Maji would want to try out his new spells later, espessially locate plant and animal. He might find some more critters for his wild shape which is very exciting.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:31 am

Spider, does Dornikal have any ability to make jewelry? It seems like he would but the description of the jeweler's tools seems to focus only on gems.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:59 am

Should I be concerned that Tess's voice suddenly changed color?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:01 am

Yes! Let her transformation to a Pit Fiend begin!

Nah - it's easier to have long conversations in colour is all, and as long as I'm at a laptop and not my phone, it's relatively easy to format.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:06 am

Just as a heads up, Wednesday I'm driving out of state to see family for a week. I'm taking my laptop with me, and will still have phone access, but likely won't be quite as active, and will be largely out of the loop on the 1st and 8th, as those are our travel days.

Also, Saturday was the 2 year mark of this game, which I started the last time I was at my parents for the same family reunion we are headed back for this coming week.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:15 am

How time flies! Enjoy your trip and Happy Anniversary to us for surviving two whole years of this :D

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:20 am

At the time, I was looking through a pdf of the Monster Manual on my phone. Not easy to read, I got as far as "Blights", when I said "Sure, those sound like fun!".

Since then I've picked up a real MM, and recently just got myself Volo's Guide and Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. You guys might get to make some new friends from there before too long...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:32 am

Aye nice! I've got very little interest in the setting aspects that are in Mordenkainen's, but the bestiary is cooooool! My RL campaign (which includes a PC called Zacala, who is, of course also a dragonborn!) is going to have a bunch of demons in it eventually so it's a pretty great resource for that.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:41 am

So that's where Zacala came from... it was a random twisting of Kershala otherwise!

I haven't started reading through Mord's yet, but I'm in a similar place I think. Most of the 'conflicts' are of limited use, but I like the higher end creatures. Probably be a bit before much of the really interesting stuff from Mord's would cross your paths, so I've got time.

((Sorry Burns, no new beasts in Mord's that I can see!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:45 am

Aye, it looks like a lot of it's designed for higher-level play which is pretty great. There's a ton for the early levels already, and it's nice to see some more mid-range and top-tier stuff coming through.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:46 am

Yeah, wish I hadn't run my Monster Mash Battle Royale into the ground, lots more options now!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:53 am

Hell, you can always start it up again :D

Maybe I'll be less terrible this time around!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:57 am

Perhaps... I might see if there is any interest in continuing that thread once I'm back from visiting family... or rocks fall and everyone dies and start a new round with anyone still interested.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:58 am

My campaign is only level 4ish, mid-level is level 10 or so? They bought me a membership at roll20 so I am invested for 2 more years at least and wonder which additional supplements I should get?

Also, any determination on the jeweler's tools for Dornikal?

I'd be interested!

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:11 am

That's sad that there aren't any beasts in there, but eventually he'll be able to change into Elementals. (we still haven't found out a way to eat em.)

Alright here is a list of animals that show on Dnd beyond that I can't see the info on that is in Volo's:
Aurochs, Brontosaurus, Cow, Cranium Rat, Deep Rothé, Deinonychus, Dimetrodon, Dolphin, Hadrosaurus, Ox, Quetzalcoatlus, Stegosaurus, Stench Kow, and Velociraptor

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:21 am

If we arrive at the city and they just stared a ban on the sale of crossbows, Ulmwin is totally blaming Tess. :P

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:23 am

Rodgeir wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:58 am My campaign is only level 4ish, mid-level is level 10 or so? They bought me a membership at roll20 so I am invested for 2 more years at least and wonder which additional supplements I should get?
Hard to say I think. It depends on what you need / want for your campaign, how much money you're willing to spend, and how much you want to invest in the Roll20 setup / materials vs. actual books or what have you.

I have a lot of the books to build off if I need to when I'm prepping sessions, but I rarely use them at the table because I find online resources and a couple of apps faster to use. I VASTLY prefer running custom settings though, so YMMV if your setting is one of the official ones.
M0rtimer wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:21 am If we arrive at the city and they just stared a ban on the sale of crossbows, Ulmwin is totally blaming Tess. :P
:lol: Maybe he should have come to haggle for his own crossbow then o:)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:38 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:11 am That's sad that there aren't any beasts in there, but eventually he'll be able to change into Elementals. (we still haven't found out a way to eat em.)

Alright here is a list of animals that show on Dnd beyond that I can't see the info on that is in Volo's:
Aurochs, Brontosaurus, Cow, Cranium Rat, Deep Rothé, Deinonychus, Dimetrodon, Dolphin, Hadrosaurus, Ox, Quetzalcoatlus, Stegosaurus, Stench Kow, and Velociraptor
Elementals aren't until 10th level, we'll figure something out. Cow and Ox are on your list from Volo's.

There is no 'silversmith's tools' or the like, so I'd say that stuff would fall under Jeweler's tools.

As far as other books, beyond PHB, DMG and MM, I've picked up Xanathar's, Volo's and Mordenkainen's, each of which adds either new class archetypes, mechanics and spells (XGtE), or adds to lore and creatures (VGtM and MToF). I have much less interest in picking up adventures, but if you and your party have a big interest in running one or more of those, that might be fun.

As far as 3rd party, I also have the Critical Role Taldorei world book, and backed Matt Colville's "Strongholds and Followers", which should come out fall/winter of this year.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:44 am

Actually, that's true - I've not got any interest in the standalone campaign modules, but Tales from the Yawning Portal contains a series of dungeons that can either be run as they are, or adapted to suit your purpose. I think they're designed to run from Level 1 - 20 (though the big ones would obviously span several levels), but can more or less be dropped in whenever you need a particular dungeon.

And of course, there's the Tomb of Annihilation (updated Tomb of Horrors) which might be of interest to your group if you want some old school lich-hunting :)

Just let me know if you guys pick up the Yawning Portal book so I don't accidentally run you into a dungeon you've already played :D

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:48 am

I have a pdf version TftYP, but haven't read through anything in there. I was holding it as a 'break in case of emergency' dungeon source in case I run out of juice and needed to mine it for ideas.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler