The Sundered Way - OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way - OOC

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:58 am

I don't think anyone's thinking that burns :)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:36 am

How do you convince someone that no one is out to get them?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:49 am

I don't think that trying to kill or actively undermine someone else's character makes for a fun game, unless that is the stated intent of the game (eg, evil campaign, battle royale, etc.), and the parties are on board with that.

My general approach is to be somewhat hands off though, and let you police yourselves, but can step in if it is warranted or requested. IF it becomes a problem, I'm probably more likely to impose some sort of magical version of a "Get Along Shirt"...

So behave, unless you want to be cursed (more).

BadgeAddict wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:36 am How do you convince someone that no one is out to get them?
ECT? Who has shocking grasp?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:18 am

Spider, I get advantage on those saving throws right?

Also, I REALLY wish I had actually picked thunderwave back up right now. :roll:

Also... Is it possible to INTENTIONALLY fail a wis save?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:29 am

Yeah, both you and Coljin have ADV on your rolls.

Hmmm... I don't think there is anything RAW about intentionally failing a save, but I'm not sure that it would make much sense for WIS anyway? You'd sort of succumb to the effect or not, I'd think. I'd probably say that STR or DEX could be intentionally failed, but the rest seem more innate and 'passive' checks... INT maybe more active?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:31 am

You could try acting like you failed it.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:37 am

That would be implying I didn't actually fail the roll... And also, that it is part of my grand master plan, unless I can exchange that Inspiration die despite already having advantage :shifty:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:45 am

So we got three, maybe four people up against...11ish sand people and four 'dogs'.

What was the deal with the sandguy with the green outline? Did I miss that?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:48 am

He's sleepy thanks to Holger. And his little dog too.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:56 am

How'd I miss that? Anyhow, back at you sand folks!

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:57 am

Ugh, now I actually made the save (WIS save for all the cookies: 1D20+1 = [11]+1 = 12
) I'm starting to realize that my plan is quickly falling apart... I was planning on using vicious mockery on Dornikal/(Maji) hoping damage would wake him up, but... That probably won't work, right? Vicious Mockery specifies the target has to be aware of your presence etc, and, being unconscious, he's probably not... Hopefully he also has advantage on him atm because of that, though, so... You said I could throw a rock at disadvantage, Spider? What kind of damage roll would that be?

...Even then there's the fact that even Maji has a DC 15 I probably still have to beat, so it's really tempting to just shoot one of you guys. :shifty:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:00 pm

It'd be a non-proficient throw at disadvantage (within 60 ft), that does 1d4 + MOD.

Galt and Randy are the only two within 60 ft.

...which is also the range increment for VM...

...if any of that works...
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:03 pm

Meh, shoot Dornikal. Better than getting eaten.

Edit:Though Maji is a better target. AC 17 is a tough shot. Or heal Randy maybe?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:05 pm

...Fuck it. Sorry Burns, you're getting shot. I apologize if that doesn't actually work. :roll:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Ulmwin'd have known that he's going to be a harder target to hit lying down out there... if Ulmwin wouldn't have attempted the shot, knowing that, I'll give you a take-back, but if that still would have been your attempt, then that 3 will be what stands.

I could have been clearer when you were asking, I didn't convey that the disadvantage on the rock (based on range), was before taking condition into account. :?
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Oh... Yeah, he probably would be doing something else if it was really that hard of a shot. I mean at least he'd just throw a rock cuz it's such a horrible shot it can't get worse, and it'd deal less damage if it did actually hit, but... Yeah, this is hard. He probably would hit the bottom left one with a dissonant whispers to try and get him to back off?

Are they REALLY prone though..? Is this some kind of special condition, because I feel like unconscious should just overrule prone..? Also I'm pretty sure I know what we're dealing with by now too and the entry says nothing about prone :paranoia:

(I'm also coming to the realization Ulmwins magic is going to be useless if they ever encounter a group of deaf fighters... I should do something about that, probably. :lol:)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:31 pm

Anytime something has both advantage and disadvantage, they cancel each other, and it's just a straight roll.

I promise they are prone. :D

@Thinks, Are Tess's max 20 HP on the sheet accurate? I don't think they've been updated to 4th level, I'm letting you guys take average if you roll under, and even that should have you at 23. If she has only 20 HP at level 4, no wonder she's cowering in the sand rather than warning her friends of a possible ambush! :P
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:41 pm

Also, assuming I'm not downed yet on my next round, can I reuse that dissonant whispers? :shifty:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:45 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:31 pm Anytime something has both advantage and disadvantage, they cancel each other, and it's just a straight roll.

I promise they are prone. :D

@Thinks, Are Tess's max 20 HP on the sheet accurate? I don't think they've been updated to 4th level, I'm letting you guys take average if you roll under, and even that should have you at 23. If she has only 20 HP at level 4, no wonder she's cowering in the sand rather than warning her friends of a possible ambush! :P
((I mean, it isn't a great deal better, but yeah - her max & current HP should be 24. Sorry for not updating - I'm mostly in here on my phone, so just use an app rather than the spreadsheet for easiness))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:48 pm

PS you might need to roll for NSF - he's out of town for the next little while and said he wouldn't be able to roll for much.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:21 pm

Updated your HP for Sundered and Trials Thinks

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:21 pm

Thanks!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:37 pm

((Ah, yes. Forgot about NSF being afk. Those 4 HP might be a big deal some day!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:02 pm

They almost certainly will! But for now, they're going to stay buried in the illusion-sand with Nem until she's got a better idea of what's going on! :lol:

BTW, what size are the bad guys? Medium, right?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:34 pm

Damnit Spider, stop being a hero and get working to waking everyone up! :roll: