The Sundered Way - OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Re: The Sundered Way - OOC

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:42 pm

So, since all of us but pat has picked someone, I was wondering if we could say what character we got. Just Race and class would be nice to know.

Tiefling/Fighter

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:49 pm

Yeah, you guys can talk about things. I intend to start the game with you not having previously met, unless I get two backstories that it makes sense for you to have at least some connection.

As I mentioned to Badge, we are now on the flip side of things... I provided skeletons of characters for you to flesh out, and will be using the skeleton of a world you provide in return to flesh out the setting. Don't worry about developing anything too in depth, if you give me a few bits of description, I can likely work with it.

Questionnaires are out to everyone but Pat, who is still choosing his character.

If you're still trying to decide what goes where as far as your abilities go...

A b i l i t y S c o r e S u m m a r y

Strength
Measures: Natural athleticism, bodily power
Important for: Barbarian, fighter, paladin
Racial Increases:
Mountain dwarf (+2)
Half-orc (+2)
Dragonborn (+2)
Human (+1)

Dexterity
Measures: Physical agility, reflexes, balance, poise
Important for: Monk, ranger, rogue
Racial Increases:
Elf (+2)
Forest gnome (+1)
Halfling (+2)
Human (+1)

Constitution
Measures: Health, stamina, vital force
Important for: Everyone
Racial Increases:
Dwarf (+2)
Half-orc (+1)
Stout halfling (+1)
Human (+1)
Rock gnome (+1)

Intelligence
Measures: Mental acuity, information recall, analytical skill
Important for: Wizard
Racial Increases:
High elf (+1)
Tiefling (+1)
Gnome (+2)
Human (+1)

Wisdom
Measures: Awareness, intuition, insight
Important for: Cleric, druid
Racial Increases:
Hill dwarf (+1)
Human (+1)
Wood elf (+1)

Charisma
Measures: Confidence, eloquence, leadership
Important for: Bard, sorcerer, warlock
Racial Increases:
Half-elf (+2)
Dragonborn (+1)
Drow (+1)
Human (+1)
Lightfoot halfling (+1)
Tiefling (+2)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:02 pm

If you guys need to pick a language (or four), you can pull from this list. Standard languages are all good, but have at least some justification in mind (helps add to world building). If you want one of the exotic, you'll have to make a stronger case for it.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:12 pm

Will this campaign also involve out-of-combat situations (e.g. talking / investigating our way through cities ) or will it be primarily dungeon-based? Just wondering where to put some of my talents :)

Incidentally, I picked the Tiefling/Rogue/Entertainer :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:17 pm

I'm shooting for a blend... or at least having options for you guys to pursue and try.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:27 pm

A fellow entertainer!

I picked the human/sorcerer/entertainer and I'm going with the alignment Chaotic fun! (or just neutral.. :P )
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:30 pm

Did you mean to leave a link for the languages, Spider? I'm not seeing anything. Also I need to kinda know what are the local terrains for my background/proficiency (I'd hate to pick forest and then find out it was a desert campaign).

I picked Human/ranger/acolyte. Neutral Good

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:38 pm

I edited the link back in. Terrain will vary, depending on where you go, but forest, grasslands, mountain are the most abundant... whether that's where the action of depends on what you pursue.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:50 pm

I was tempted to pick that tiefling, was the other choice i was stuck on.

Anyways: black dragonborn/hermit/druid

...wait why is unsercommon an exotic language? I thought it was the black market language :shifty:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:36 pm

I'm not sure if this has been posted here or not yet, but there 5e Basic Rules are free and online here:

http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads ... s_v0.2.pdf

It's not fully complete (lots of races & classes from the PHB aren't in there for example) but it should give a rough idea of the ruleset for 5e and the overall feel of the game system.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:40 pm

Uhhhhhhh... meant to, but that never happened... thanks!!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:50 pm

I've taken a wood gnome cleric folk hero. I see someone else also took a rock gnome bard with folk hero. We could collaborate on history a bit. You could have been traveling or performing in my village and could have worked together in something that made us both local heroes from the same event. It opens up to options galore. What do you think mysterious other gnome? Your call tho. We could just as easily be strangers

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:32 pm

Okay so the core book/pdf does not have druids and I have no idea what the difference is between land and moon druids.

Also can i has undercommon? A hermit needs to get 'supplies' somehow.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:52 pm

Druids only have to choose between the "Land" and "Moon" paths at Level 2, so you don't need to worry about it right now. Basically though, it seems like the Land Druids are more focused on magic and healing / resistances while Moon Druids are more focused on turning into dangerous animals and mauling shit to death. The nice/tricky thing about 5e is that it uses levels 1-3 as part of the character creation process so you can make these kinds of decisions based on what happens to you IC.

I obviously can't answer your question on language choice, but in case anyone is wondering Undercommon is listed in the PHB as an exotic language typically spoken by "Underdark Traders".

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:59 pm

NotStickFigures wrote:I've taken a wood gnome cleric folk hero. I see someone else also took a rock gnome bard with folk hero. We could collaborate on history a bit. You could have been traveling or performing in my village and could have worked together in something that made us both local heroes from the same event. It opens up to options galore. What do you think mysterious other gnome? Your call tho. We could just as easily be strangers
You are welcome to have a past together or not, but if you do, I'd ask you to consider what may have led to Forest and Mountain gnomes meeting. Are you members of a community of mixed gnomish composition? Did one of you start adventuring first and meet the other?

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Okay so the core book/pdf does not have druids and I have no idea what the difference is between land and moon druids.

Also can i has undercommon? A hermit needs to get 'supplies' somehow.
In the interest of not throwing too much at you, I only gave you stuff pertaining to 1st Level decisions. Going Moon or Land doesn't come about til second level, so I was going to hold off a bit.

Undercommon isn't the language of the black market, it is the language of the Underdark... essentially their form of Common (hence, Undercommon). I think by "Underdark Traders", this list means that it is the trade language of the Underdark, just as Common is the trade language of the surface lands. Common suffices for getting supplies.

:ninja: What Thinks said.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:03 pm

Sorry spider - I don't want to step on your toes!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:14 pm

Not a problem, I'm on when I can be while visiting family, so welcome more experienced folks chiming in! You just happened to chime in right before I did this time. ;)

So Burns... Undercommon would be highly unlikely without some connection or past experience with the Underdark and the creatures that dwell there. I'd not rule it out, but its existence as one of your known languages would likely require a fair bit of backstory. A very small number of adventurers ever travel to the Underdark, or encounter creatures that speak it, much less spend the time to learn it. It's possible your travels will take you there, and knowing it would certainly have use, but the backstory justification would need to be sufficient. :D
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:49 pm

Okay! I will think of moar backstory tommorrow!

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:13 am

Okay, my character sheet is completed (I think). Could you clarify what equipment I'm starting with, or do I get to go on a shopping spree? :p

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:06 am

howdy, local rock gnome bard folk hero here. Sure, Having a connected backstory in some way might be interesting- Just hit me up with some ideas, otherwise I was probably just gonna have me own story.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:12 am

Lurks_In_Shadows wrote:I picked Human/ranger/acolyte. Neutral Good
I'm kinda disappointed that you didn't pick cleric with your custom forum title! :lol:
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:33 am

Lurks_In_Shadows wrote:Okay, my character sheet is completed (I think). Could you clarify what equipment I'm starting with, or do I get to go on a shopping spree? :p
The starting equipment should be in what I sent, though anyone who doesn't like that and wants to do their own can do a starting gold roll.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:14 am

Okay, I found it on the list. I'll do a little more research and see if I can build in some of the detail you were asking for.
Theis2 wrote:
Lurks_In_Shadows wrote:I picked Human/ranger/acolyte. Neutral Good
I'm kinda disappointed that you didn't pick cleric with your custom forum title! :lol:
Well, an acolyte IS considered sort of a junior priest. And don't higher level rangers get things like healing spells? I believe they used to.
Last edited by Lurks_In_Shadows on Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:12 am

So we've got :

Rogue, fighter, cleric, sorcerer, ranger, druid and a bard. That's not too bad... I mean, our front line isn't exactly tanky, but there's a lot of damage - dealing potential and at least we have one healer!

If anyone wants info from the PHB (if you can't find it online) I can look it up - should be on the forum for a while today anyway.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:25 am

Im tanky and a little healy. Choose the human paladin.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem