The Sundered Way - OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way - OOC

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:26 pm

Yeah, medium, but on the smaller side. Minus the horns and tail (and lady features), built more like Tess than anyone else in the party. She might even find their clothes a bit tight.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:34 pm

I going to assume you're growling about Randy, Mort. If I understand the positioning of these guys, they literally just walked over Randy. Which means that I don't think he would be fast enough to get clear before one of those turkeys took an AOO on him. Which would probably put him down. Again. Besides, when I posted, it looked like Mort was playing target practice with Maj. Makes more sense for Randy to keep 'em distracted while Maj wakes up Dornikal in that case.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Nah, there's been a couple retcons. Apparently it's practically impossible to be able to hit them from ranged currently, so I switched up moves.

I think the key to turning the tide against these guys is to get everyone back up, so that hopefully they run out of this annoying ability and can hence finally be taken down... Once people start getting up and can actually work together, things should go easier... Right?

I can appreciate the sentiment of fearing you're just gonna get AOO'd if you try to break for it, though... On the other hand, given by the fact that some of the enemies couldn't even fully reach Ulmwin this turn, I'm presuming that if Randy moves south, he'd get out of range of most of them- And waking up Galt would, if nothing else, serve as some extra protection and a potential extra body to help wake everyone up... For a relatively tiny chance of getting hit in the first place, and not enough to get KO'd even if they do? Seems the fellow would have to roll a 6 to deal enough damage, so that alone is 1/6 odds, not to mention he also actually needs to hit...

On the other hand, if you stay where you are right now, some might just sprint back, help give advantage on attacks again, and help remedy it.

That's just my advice/opinion though, you do you. :P

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:54 pm

Oh wait, I just realized- Can you see the latest image on the thread? Literally all but one enemy has shifted away from you to be next to Ulmwin.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:26 am

I'd still like to verify Lurks is aware of his current position on the board, because his latest post to me was suggesting he believed himself surrounded by multiple foes still rather than one... :shifty:

And I honestly believe that not at least shifting downwards so he can be out of range of potentially three more attacks is the worst thing he can do right now. Those guys shifted to Ulmwin and still managed to act, and they'll just shift back and do the same..! Even just risking an AOO to move further south then use a ranged attack would probably be better, if not wanting to risk using a turn to see if these guys can be woken up (But tbf, if they can't, then Spider never intended for us to win this battle. :roll: )

...Okay, it's admittedly not the worst thing he could do. He could try to hug the enemy and make friends with them intead of fighting, too. :roll:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:48 am

Can you strike through the stuff that Ulmwin didn't do? It sounds like he took three turns to crossbow, dissonant whispers, healing word, and vicious mockery....

If Lurks mistook positioning, he can let me know if he wants to act differently. If he acted as intended, not sure telling him he's doing the worst thing possible is that constructive.

Besides, without a buddy, that single guy has a lower chance to hit, and the other three are occupied with a gnome at the moment. :P
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:33 am

Or try and kill Ulwmin, that'd be pretty bad.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:35 am

Nah, let's roll with it and see where it goes. Might work out for the better in the long run. If Randy can drop the guy, then he can go get up Galt and have him go get up the others while Randy goes to help Ulmwin. Or if Ulmwin is taking a nap already, he can go with Galt.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:53 am

You could move around the guy (stay within 5ft) you hit to be closer to Galt and further from the ones around Ulmwin next turn?

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:20 am

Sure, if he didn't use his movement up just getting to his feet, I'd be more than okay with that.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:26 am

Getting up takes half your movement, so you've got 15 to move with.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:48 am

I'll go edit my actions in a sec so it's clearer what I actually ended up doing, sure.

And well, I am exaggerating a bit when I say it's the "worst possible action", it's definitely not, but... Well, looking at the board, the more I think about it the more I honestly think that any other option I can think off in this situation that would still be reasonable would be better. :shrug: (Rodgeir's idea at the very least would already be way better because I hope it'd mean they can no longer shift back to Randy in one turn.)

If you want a bit more of a reasoning beyond why I'm saying that... Well, let's look at the best and worst case scenarios between the current course of actions, and trying to what I would do, getting up Galt.

Randy attacks, best case scenario: The three dudes continuing to gang up on Ulmwin continue to do so, and despite the advantage, he manages to dodge and stay up... One, two more turns? He even kills one, if he's VERY lucky, two of them. This is assuming he doesn't get put to sleep or outright put down. That'd still leave him to fight one. Randy meanwhile attacks this turn and hopefully next turn, manages to kill him, the same guy missing him the turn before. Afterwards he shifts next to Galt, ready to wake him up.

End result: On Randy's third turn, he wakes up Galt and, while Ulmwin would almost definitely be downed at this point, should hopefully with the both of them still manage to wake up Dorni and Maji to turn the tide.

Randy attacks, worst case scenario: Of the three dudes, one that isn't even in melee range of Ulmwin yet sees Randy, and just turns back around to gang up with his friend- Now 2vs1, Randy's chances drastically decrease, and even assuming he survives a turn and manages to finish one of them off, he'd still be stuck in melee range of one more guy, blocking him from trying to get someone else up unless that is the point he wants to risk the AOO... This option DOES mean Ulmwin will presumably survive a while longer, and if we're lucky we both manage to get down to 1v1 and win that way. But both of us need one bad roll to get downed, so not ideal...

End result: We (probably) all end unconscious, and are left to hope that they don't decide to drag us off to be eaten, and instead move up to the main camp who end up victorious then later laugh at us for all being put to sleep.

Randy shifts to wake up Galt, best case scenario: One guy tries AOO, but misses- Randy moves south of Galt so the guy would be, if nothing else, act as a meatshield and help block the one guy... Ulmwin fights 3v1, but manages to survive a couple rounds. On enemy's turn they'd have to choose on who to attack, leaving best case scenario both Galt and Randy to go and wake up both Randy and Maji- Within the span of two turns, everyone of our little group would, hopefully, be back on their feet.

End result: we got numerical superiority again, and hopefully they can't just try to put Maji and Dorni to sleep again- which should make things a lot better hopefully.

Randy shifts to wake up Galt, worst case scenario: Well, admittedly this one IS that he gets hit with an AOO, or it turns out you can't actually be waken up from this state... But the former is so unlikely that it even hits in the first place, and then it's 1/6 chance to do enough damage to knock Randy out- I think the odds are in your favor there.

End result: Ulmwin will heal you again and give you a second chance, assuming he's not been put to sleep or got critted to death.

edit: of course I get ninja'd and I'm probably going a bit too much into detail with this, but oh well... :P Also I did miss the part where he would need to stand up and waste half his move... I think he'd still be just barely in range, although he would definitely have to risk a second attack from the one guy, yeah.

I think the final thing what I'm trying to say is that waking someone from sleep is equivalent to healing someone back into consciousness so you have their action again, it's something that should (almost) ALWAYS take priority...

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:02 am

I quite like the idea that the pressure of combat means people don't always make the optimal choice :)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:07 am

Pfft, don't be ridiculous... Every combatant should have their calculator and spreadsheets on hand so they can calculate the best statistical move at that moment! :roll:

I mostly wanted to be certain Lurks was aware of the situation he's in, though, because I realized afterwards that as long as he can't actually see the images, he doesn't know unless we tell him. I think it's been sketched out pretty decently by now, so if he wants to stick with it then that's fair. :)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:28 am

He could also shift around the guy and throw the fireball. I think the guy he is by would juiuust be in the edge of it.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:32 am

Could he throw the fireball accurately enough he hits the three guys that are trying to approach Ulmwin without hitting Ulmwin? :shifty: Or are you saying that the fireball is just big enough it could hit those three AND the one guy next to him as well..? That's a big fireball.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:36 am

30 FT radius (which means 60 Ft diameter)
6d6 damage.

But, if you botch the roll and throw it poorly, you could end up killing someone accidentally.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:37 am

Ah nevermind I think I caculated it wrong.

Wait, Ulwin has suggestion. He can use that to help.
Last edited by Arch Lich Burns on Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:40 am

Also yeah it can't hit everyone, Randy would literally have to hit himself to do that... 6d6 damage isn't actually enough to kill Ulmwin though (Even with max damage- The ONE thing he's been lucky with has been those HP rolls) so I'd be willing to risk it... Using it on three peeps seems like a waste though :lol:

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:52 am

Boooom!

<<Announcer's Voice>>MULTI-KILL!! TEAM KILLER!!
Pop up window: [ Randy incinerated Ulmwin! -10 pts. ] :lol:

Tell you what, with Randy circling around, I'll see if I can kick Galt awake, THEN finish the other guy!

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:59 am

Sadly, sticking close to the one guy would keep Galt JUST out of reach... One empty space between them! :cry:

R
B
O
O
G

is the current orientation, R Randy, B bad guy, G galt.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:10 am

Wait, Ulwin has suggestion. He can use that to help.
There's probably something I can do, question is what... It still has to make sense after all, and if he's telling one to just move away, he might as well try and kill him instead. :roll:

Maybe he could try and suggestion something along the lines of "It's time to move the new prisoners, start waking them up" or something..?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:15 am

I just checked fireballs radius again, it's 20', not 30'. If that helps.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:50 am

Ulmwin, were you still wanting to use dis whispers?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:56 am

Yea, those were second level whispers. Wasn't gonna risk 1st level not doing enough damage.