OOC/LORE for The Age of Dragons (Recruitment OPEN)

Home to all current Forum Games.
GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Re: OOC/LORE for The Age of Dragons

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:36 am

Well, to be fair, all that we were told about those witches was:
"Though the coven have not caused me any problems directly, I believe it to be the one they serve who is causing the swamp to spread. They practice their dark magics somewhere within the southern shore, among the caves that litter cliffs. Go and find them and if it is they who are behind the spread of the swamp....destroy them."

Azabik asks a further question of the Dryad, "how will we know for certain? I have some knowledge of magic but I fear it may not be enough."
The Dryad smiled gently at the dragon "If their master is who I believe it is, then you will know when you see him."
No one said that who the coven serves is "bad", the dryad was very terse and cryptic about "him". :shrug:
We were told that they are likely to blame for the growth of the swamp, but trying to enlarge one's liveable environment is something most species do, that doesn't necessarily make them evil.

And even if the dryad outright had told us that the "master" was "bad", that doesn't necessarily make the witches bad, too. Often times (good or neutral) people serve evil rulers for a number of reasons. Like they don't know their leader is bad. Or they don't have a choice (e.g. hostile situation). Which is part of why Sapphire would have liked to find out more about them, before deciding to "destroy" them. Or not.

Another important part is, that we don't know that much about the dryad, either. She's a powerful magical being, and she doesn't like us killing the frogs (even threatened to kill us, if it happens again). She's not aggressive per se (might be tied to the fact that she's bound into one place) and she gives away free food, but avoids to answer the question if other creatures than the frogs are under her protection. For all we know she might just be an environmental over-activist nut and the witches or their leader might have pissed her off just by killing some (or a LOT) of frogs and that lead to her "dark magics" comment. :shrug:

And I asked about burns' possible fumble at taking off, because it is important for me to have Sapphire make herself a better picture of the witches' behaviour. They say "leave, or be forced to leave", then make him stay forcibly. To me that doesn't make any sense, except if they were taking him to their leader (as per his request). I'm not saying they HAVE to make sense (some villains are just bananas), but if they behave erratic and don't seem likely to be reasoned with, Sapphire will be much less hesitant to try the dryad's suggestion, instead (if she can find a way of making that work), whereas if they can be negotiated with, she won't attack them just on the behest of another creature.

So to sum up: I'm not entirely sure how we are to gather intelligence about them (which I definitely would prefer to have, even IF we will end up destroying them), if we can't see through the foliage, magic peeking doesn't yield anything useful (so far) and landing draws their attention & anger. But maybe you didn't mean for us to gather intelligence about them. Easily, or even at all. If so, we'll just have to deal with this challenge.

(Btw., I collected all the updates since we met the dryad together in the spoiler, if you'd like to see for yourself, maybe I have overlooked something.)
► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:40 am

I'm not saying I'll give you all the answers right now, but as things unfold, they will make sense...that I can promise.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:49 am

Is the "hold dragon" spell on Az something that needs to be kept up by concentration (e.g. if Sapphire takes out the witch that is casting it, it disappears) or is it "done "/permanent and needs to be dispelled?

Also, is dispelling those shackles something that Sapphire is likely to be able to do with her life magic, or not?
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:54 am

Concentration.
and, magical resistance against an unknown magical force...probably nill at best...
Plus, these witches are using ritual magic, which is different than normal magic.

But, and I am trying to very clear here...you will need to be quite explicit in what you want to do when attacking..

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:00 am

Is is apparent to Sapphire who is keeping the spell up? All 7 of them, or just some?

And I was trying to find out if dispel is a spell that she can do with her life magic, since you didn't allow her to make an image even of a sheep, claiming that falls under illusion magic, which is another discipline, apparently?
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:04 am

Correct, Illusions are a different "realm" of magic, which deals more with "mental magic"...as illusions deal with the mind.

You can try to use magic, but you are unable to determine how many of the witches are using magic, nor if using magic will indeed remedy the situation.

or, third option, you let their master meet him...and hope for the best? :D you trust me righttt

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:14 am

I still don't know if "breaking the bonds that hold Az" is something that you'd let her do with life magic. Which is really frustrating.

I know that the outcome isn't guaranteed (DC and dice roll and whatnot), but not even knowing if the attempt is something sensible to try (as in: has a reasonable chance to succeed, because it's the right type of magic) or not, sucks. Big time.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:29 am

BadgeAddict wrote:Okay, let's examine your statement... "but we remember all too well how violent your kind can be."
Krazk was only told stories about humans hunting and killing dragons....which did happen, but by your own words, you shouldn't be able to be angry about dragons that were killed as if they were your parents or your children.

Humans know what dragons are...and the knowledge of the great wars have been passed down from generation to generation. And these stories have evolved over the years, the actual truth of what happened lies entirely with the dragons who witness the wars, because they remember it, because they were there.

So, when you talk about how "violent His kind was"...he's reminded of the violence of dragons against humans...not that he was there, but that because his father told him stories that his father had told him and so on, back to those who actually lived during that time. There were atrocities performed by dragons upon the human race. (mostly like dragons who are currently in a cave, raising a kobold army and being evil and stuff)...imagine that, evil dragons..who knew. ;)

So...when you talked about "how violent humans are" you set him off, because he can't comprehend how you can say such a thing without knowing how violent dragons are.
OK, I get that it could be taken as an insult, but her comment came from a desire to be cautious. She's been told these people are "barbarians", she knows that humans can kill dragons and have done so in the past and she's now just been told that these particular humans know how to defend themselves against them, which implies they haven't forgotten the lessons they learned in the war. Forgive me for wanting her to be a little cautious, but she ain't going to fly into a giant city-sized human trap without SOME reason better than "because a random human said so". She's arrogant and believes she is superior to humans, but she's not an idiot with a death wish. I get that you have plans in the background, but right now you're only giving ME reasons to go to the city; Krazk has got literally no incentive at all.

Anyway, this guy has now slapped her verbally in the face and called her a child. I don't care who he is; that IS an insult, and one that Krazk will most certainly act on for better or for worse.

Also, I appreciate that this probably sounds like I'm really pissed off because that's how I write, but I'm not :) I'm just trying to work out what's going on in this particular exchange and giving you some warning that Krazk probably isn't going to behave as you might like her to...

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:42 am

Oh I realize that...but if Krazk truly is well versed in human lore...then she might find it interesting that the man knew she was a child...(aka young dragon).. what does this man know about dragons,...and how does he know it so well...

If my hints at things are too subtle...perhaps I should have a coven of witches capture you too? :lol: just kidding..

Also, keep in mind that the young human king who you no longer trust...was the one who told you about the "barbarians"...you know...that guy who tried to give you the swamp as your home...

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:58 am

BadgeAddict wrote:Oh I realize that...but if Krazk truly is well versed in human lore...then she might find it interesting that the man knew she was a child...(aka young dragon).. what does this man know about dragons,...and how does he know it so well...

If my hints at things are too subtle...perhaps I should have a coven of witches capture you too? :lol: just kidding..

Also, keep in mind that the young human king who you no longer trust...was the one who told you about the "barbarians"...you know...that guy who tried to give you the swamp as your home...
Checking out what he said for herself doesn't mean that she has forgotten him, or that she won't decide he was right... Besides, the swamp seems interesting. If the others decide to stay there, it's an easy way to get the land without fighting the humans for it :P

As for your first point, she has been trying to ascertain that for the last 2 turns but the guy is being an evasive asshole about it!

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:13 pm

What i dont get is why you assume we would think if the witches as evil or bad just because a single person said something bad about them. Isn't that prejudice what we are fightng against and show that all dragons are not violent? Or the so called 'barbarians' being evil? I do not see why we are suppose to judge them before meeting them.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:25 pm

You make a good point burns...I apologize...I suppose you could say that sometimes people tell you that someone is bad, they're lying...and other times they are telling the truth..

I realize that I've been fairly vague on details about this "mission" that you are on...but, I wanted to convey it in such a way that you might notice that the Dryad doesn't know much about them..

On the other hand...I do like to include hints that convey a...hidden message of sorts...that would hopefully make you think about things..and wonder about what is going on...like a mystery in a book...

Let me say it this way...Quarg is doing a good job at "looking around"...and what he noticed "lack of roads" is a hint.... Other than gathers looking for a place to plant one of the trees...which I forgot about up until now, neither of you have been "searching/observing" and if you had...you would have noticed things that explained more of the underlying problems...

For instance..had you "observed" the beach a bit more, before everyone scattered, you would have seen some frogmen meandering about as though they were working for the witches...that would "hopefully" strike you as weird...knowing that the frogmen "supposedly" serve the dryad.

The only thing holding any of you back from discovering hints...is yourselves.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:45 pm

Erm, sorry if this sounds like I'm complaining, but you said the foliage was in the way of us seeing things properly. And when I tried to use magic in lieu of an x-ray vision, that didn't give any conclusive hints, either. What were we to do, burn down the leaves so we could see? I'm sure that would have helped peaceful negotiations immensely. :P

On top of that, you said that they would have seen us from below, long before we were able to see them, which is very bad for observation of "natural" behaviour. Staying up in the air, staring at them could have been considered as rude and or even drawn their fire, if they are as bad/evil as someone allegedly said.

And the dryad was terse not only about the witches and their master, but also on things she should know about - like magic or the frog creatures or balance of life. Hence I assumed she just wanted us out of there, "I'm tired, audience over" kind of thing.

I can't speak for burns, but I am doing my best to pick up & follow the hints you put into your text, but apparently I don't find the ones you intend me to.
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:36 pm

Listen gathers....the more I try to explain,...the worse it will get for me...

I have reasons why this is the case....but...sadly, the story must go on...

So, again, if you think that I am missing something, bring it to me...and...as now it seems like I somewhat led you two astray...please trust that I have something planned out already...which will make burns really really happy....but I refuse to give away the details...

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:27 pm

Apologies if I wasn't clear. I didn't mean to ask you to explain. Or bug you. Or criticize you. Quite contrary, as you kind of asked for feedback, I wanted to try and explain why I/Sapphire did, what I/she did. And say that I'm more than a little confused at what (else) we should/could be doing.

If you intend us to be mystified, then that's fine. But that didn't seem to be the case, especially when you said that we're not picking up on hints, so I felt the need to tell you that I'm trying my best.

And... if I didn't trust you, I wouldn't have let Sapphire try and tell Az to stay calm. ;)
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:12 pm

So, again, if you think that I am missing something, bring it to me...and...as now it seems like I somewhat led you two astray...please trust that I have something planned out already...which will make burns really really happy....but I refuse to give away the details...
That ...doesn't really put me much at ease, then again I am probably just paranoid. And I would probably give you evil ideas if I say what I think will happen. :lol:

I trust that if you would kill my character I can fight back instead of using forced methods. And really isnt that what matters? :P

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:14 pm

I'm a bit at a loss to imagine what would make you, burns, really really happy. Not sure what to expect.

Also, I would like to know how or why Sapphire thinks that planting the seed now would be bad? Is it just an uneasy feeling or does she have a reason that can be put in words?
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:26 pm

GathersIngredients wrote:I'm a bit at a loss to imagine what would make you, burns, really really happy. Not sure what to expect.
The ability to compel others to answer questions fully and truthfully? The ability to see everyone's secrets?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:19 pm

Errrr no? Not really. I dont even know what badge is going to do

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:40 pm

you will find out..just remember that with immense power comes immense responsibility... >:D

that being said, gathers as to your question. 1. The witches still are alive, which would be very disappointing to the dryad, but also, it may be possible for the witches to trap or kill the dryad, through the tree that you plant..

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:41 am

How long did the incantation of the witches last? Was Sapphire already "in viewing position" during it? And does either Az or Sapphire know who (of the frog people) has the key to the chains?

Since the frog people are "hypnotized" already, anyway, I would like sapphire to try and use her mental communication powers to try and take control over the on with the keys and have them unlock Az secretly while the witches are still busy calling their master forth. Is that something she can fit into the time frame you have already described, or not?

Or even better yet, have them not lock the chains in the first place, just THINK that they locked them.
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:48 am

The incantation was fast.
Sapphire arrived as the thing was summoned..whatever it is..
And no, as there are no keys, but rather clasps..like this, but huge

Mental communication is just that, communication...it is not a power in and of itself...you cannot "control" others...that is mental magic...something that I didn't make available because....reasons... (like the brothers grim taking control of people....all of the peoples)

You also don't know what exactly is wrong with the frogmen, but your healing magic might be a better route.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:01 am

So, I could try and "heal" them from being under the witches' control? Just single individuals or "mass cure" style?

And... you wrote that Tytan used it to extract information from other dragons without them wanting to. Based on that, I don't see that much difference between 'forcefully taking information' and 'feeding them false information', 'guiding their thoughts & doings' or even 'fighting for dominance over the mind', so I don't understand why those things shouldn't be possible with mental communication, especially with creatures untrained in it. But I'm happy to let you all explain it to me.
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:03 am

Tytan listened in on others conversations

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:50 am

So... could Sapphire at least try to "read someone else's mind"? Like listening in, even when they are not trying to communicate their thoughts to someone else?

E.g. if someone really strongly thinks about something "I'm gonna kill all humans" or some such, even if not directed at someone in particular, could someone with good mental communication pick up on that?
► Show Spoiler