PTU Divided Age: OOC Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Re: PTU Divided Age: OOC Thread

Post by Theis2 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:29 pm

Since Nioca mentioned two people gone missing I should totally steal Donnigans spot :shifty:

Or just behave like a proper lurker that still have some catch up reading to.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:12 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Speaking of which, is amathest now dead or...what is going on with it?
Ugh, I really don't know what I'm going to do about that, honestly. I have been working on rebooting it in some form, but I keep running into walls. Story walls, mechanics walls, motivation walls...the list goes on. At this point, I'm thinking that continuing from where we left off is pretty much not going to work, since it's just been too long. Which means I need to come up with a way to restart the thing with as few hiccups as possible.

Problem is, there's another issue. Namely, I'm going back to university next week. And with all the socializing and studying that involves (plus excising - I've really let myself go these past few months), I'm worried I won't have time to keep one game running smoothly, let alone two! :?

So...yeah. If I can't get anything sorted in the next couple of weeks, then I might just have to call it there. I really hope not! But, I may not end up having much choice.... :(
Theis2 wrote:Since Nioca mentioned two people gone missing I should totally steal Donnigans spot :shifty:

Or just behave like a proper lurker that still have some catch up reading to.
Hey, if you want to get involved, feel free. Like Nioca said, both NSO and Donnigan are gone (with no sign of either coming back anytime soon), and Fkrts/Bahamut is MIA, so there's plenty of room :)

And if you want to read up from the start of the old thread, I'm pretty sure I put a link to it in the first post of the main thread. If you haven't found it already.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Hey Dusk, for the Minccino Han's holding, is it confirmed to have Helper as its ability? Or did the Ditto choose one of the other ones to transform into?

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:10 am

SuperVaderMan wrote:Hey Dusk, for the Minccino Han's holding, is it confirmed to have Helper as its ability? Or did the Ditto choose one of the other ones to transform into?
Yep, it has Helper.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:19 am

Hey Vader, don't forget that I modified the way the Intellect Trait works to fit 1.05, since Intelligence is no longer a thing. You still have the old description for it on your sheet. Same applies to anyone with Kinsmanship.

New Traits
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:37 am

They reeeeallu downgraded diglet, huh? Arena trap isnt really useful anymore in spite of it being scene activated. Does not help digtrio has a low attack...probably will only catch to put in box.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:56 am

Eh, they aren't great. But I wouldn't say they're awful either. Polycephaly is pretty neat, useful for getting in a little extra damage with every attack (since you don't need to use the Swift Action for anything else). While Dig Away gives them a pseudo-Teleport (Daily freq sucks, but meh). Underdog stuff helps solve the stat problems too. Not to mention the fact it learns virtually every good Ground move in the game, Physical or Special. Plus, it has the best Burrow speed in the game too - the only thing that matches it is Zygarde.

But yeah, they're also squishy as fuck. Anything that has Base 1Hp is gonna go down pretty quickly no matter what it gets hit with...

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:16 pm

Okay they might not be awful, but I think DK is better overall. I dont think glitchig them would help them out much either. They are mostly meh, which is why it kinda sucks that dk provoked them and now i have no chance to corrupt reality to change the pokemon, if i could do that in the first place...

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:34 pm

Oh yeah, there are definitely better alternatives. If I had to I could probably make one work in the early-to-mid levels, maybe up to around Lv40. But after that I'd swap it out for something more useful in a heartbeat.

And no, Corrupt Reality wouldn't have had any effect. It only rerolls actual rolls, not GM decisions on Pokemon :roll:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:42 pm

Aw i thought you rolled it. ...so would it work if you did roll pokemom?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:33 am

Okay. Dk gets 8 exp and a level! he gains sand tomb, which does not help with flying enemies. At all.

Ivy gains the rest of the exp and is just 1 exp away from a level. Seems like I need to get in more fights.

After capturing the Diglett, Nuligan levels up.

Question, is Per (glitch) or tech (glitch) allowed as skill stunts?

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:25 am

Oh right, sorry.

I guess Perception (Glitch) would be fine as a Skill Stunt, if you wanted that.
► Show Spoiler
Less sure about Tech (Glitch) - what would you be planning to use it for?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:55 am

What about say finding glitches on pcs?

Well i could use it to make or fix glitches? I dunno.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:31 am

...Crap. So I just got bumped over to Google Sheets (the new version of Google Docs Spreadsheets). Apparently Google Sheets lacks the inherent error-checking in VLOOKUP for a blank cell, because now every time a blank cell gets called, it results in this massive wall of #N/A (instead of how Google Docs did it, with a simple hyphen to indicate the VLOOKUP was looking for blank). So now I've got to add a metric fuckton of IFERROR and IF+ISBLANK calls to about three-quarters of the sheet, just to make it so it doesn't look like a trainwreck when a player hasn't added anything yet. :wall:

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:33 am

I would love to know how to fix that, if you can get it working. I've had those ugly #N/A things all over my sheets for a while now :grumble:

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:21 am

For the ones like type resistance on the pokemon sheets, where you're unlikely to have a bad (unfindable) value, simply bracketing the equation with the following should do the trick:

Code: Select all

IFERROR([Original Formula],"-")
For the more complex ones, where an #N/A result might be desirable (to indicate the result you were looking for simply wasn't found), you'd be looking to encase the whole thing an an IF equation using ISBLANK on the lookup cell to determine whether there's been anything input or not:

Code: Select all

IF(ISBLANK[Cell with Lookup Value],"-",[Original Formula])
It's a simple fix, it's just that is has to be done on every freaking cell that has a VLOOKUP on it.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:39 pm

Got a couple of questions for you, Dusk. Neither's going to be immediately useful, but both will have ramifications down the road.

1) Would you consider buffing Sunny/Rainy weather? I seem to recall you agreeing with me on the concept that Sunny/Rainy weather had been nerfed into oblivion by PTU. It doesn't need to be back to PTA levels by a longshot, but it'd be nice to have Auri's high ability be tactically relevant for something other than Solarbeam spam.

2) Does Pure Power increase the bonus provided by Underdog's Strength?

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:30 am

1) Yeah, that sounds fair. How about changing it to +/-2DB?

2) Sorry, but no. The Devs just forgot to include Edges in the list of things that don't work with it (check the answer to Q6).

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:04 am

I actually asked about the devs' reasoning for 'nerfing' Weather, and got an answer here. Basically it's only really a nerf for the higher damage bases, and the devs wanted to de-emphasize high damage base moves and benefit lower DB moves a bit more.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:16 am

I am still thinking about the edge to get.

Apricorn balls so i can make even more balls
Skill boost per and tech
Skill stint tech (virus)

...how rare are apricorns?

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:16 am

SuperVaderMan wrote:I actually asked about the devs' reasoning for 'nerfing' Weather, and got an answer here. Basically it's only really a nerf for the higher damage bases, and the devs wanted to de-emphasize high damage base moves and benefit lower DB moves a bit more.
That's not what it actually does, though; it just makes Sunny/Rainy weather mostly useless outside a couple fringe cases. If I'm turning on Sunny Day, it's not so I can pelt the target with Embers (outside of Fox Fire, anyhow).

Anyway, +2/-2 DB works, although if we want to avoid "de-emphasizing" low DB moves, a +10/-10 damage change would probably work as well (and be tactically significant).

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:45 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote: ...how rare are apricorns?
Eh, depends where you're planning to get them.

Finding them in the wild will be tricky, but not impossible. You'll need good Surivival rolls.
Buying them is possible too, but it's going to cost you - probably 600$ per apricorn, since the balls themselves cost 800$.
Of course, the cheapest and easiest option in the long run is to just grow them yourself. But you'll need to get hold of an apricorn first to plant, and buy a planter. Plus, it'll take a while for you to make the money back, since you'll be getting at most one a day (unless you get Mulch too, which just ups the cost even more).
SuperVaderMan & Nioca wrote:Weather stuff.
Yeah, I'm going to agree with Nioca. You're mainly going to be using Rain Dance/Sunny Day to buff your strong moves, not your weak ones. Sure, it might be slightly better early game...but that's not when most Pokemon actually learn it. Especially Vulpix, who doesn't get Drought until Lv40. By the time most 'mons get a chance to use it, +5 is a lot less of a boost - what was once a +25% damage increase is now only +10%. And with HP pools and DR being higher, it has even less of an impact.

That said, I'm not making it +/-10. That's almost too much of a buff. Besides, a lot of the Abilities that increase move damage do so by +2DB. Strong Jaw, Iron Fist, Sheer Force, etc. I'd rather stick to that format, since it'll make it easier to remember. And by tying it to DB we also let it scale better, too.
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:58 am

why would i need good survival rolls to see them? I can just per them right?

....hmmm....I guess i am going to get apricorn balls for now and make lots and lots of balls. Which i need to give mort some of my balls later. :P

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:24 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:why would i need good survival rolls to see them? I can just per them right?
Because it's more a Survival thing. Or to put it another way, if you know what you're looking for, it's easier to spot a particular tree than it is to see the tiny fruit that grows on it :roll:

You can still use Per if you want to, just bear in mind that Survival would give better results.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:30 pm

I forget, was the building that we talked to Johnson in the League Center?