GAL 9: TPo1KS (After Action Report)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Re: GAL 9: TPo1KS (Turn 24: Continuing Down)

Post by Nolandking » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:11 pm

Tells move back up to the were the other are.

"Well there some black blob down the below, I dont know how dangarous it is" said Tells
Haven't played this signature game in a long while but I'll try it out again.

Help these poor little guys hatch.

Braineel
Mutters to Themself

Post by Braineel » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:32 pm

Without sees the spongy horns, and tries poking them and bending them, trying to get them to fit inside each other.

"Oooh, can Gorak's horns do this?"

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:41 am

Knowing Gorak will be coming down soon Forages decides to see if he can disable the trap so it will be safe for him to pass through.
He will light a torch if the others move out of range.

(As much as I want to head down this was the point of removing all the pressor plates in the first place.)
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:26 am

Yeah, the pressure traps had two means of activation. That... might be a recurring theme for some of the bigger traps you might find.

One more person acts, and the next post goes up...
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:30 pm

Waited long enough, guess people are away for the weekend or something.

Turn 25: Traps "R" Us

Without A Past: The Pit's Blue Metal Layer (300 Feet Down)
Tells Bad Jokes: The Pit's Blue Metal Layer (300 Feet Down)
Vengeful One: The Pit's Blue Metal Layer (300 Feet Down)
William The Red: The Pit's Blue Metal Layer (300 Feet Down)
Forges for Food: The Pit's Graveyard Layer (250 Feet Down)
Walks With The Wind: The Pit's Blue Metal Layer (300 Feet Down)
----
Gorak, Wrestler of the River: The Pit's Soft Stone Layer (120 Feet Down)

Statblock:
► Show Spoiler
Actions

William The Red (Init 83) does not act.
Gorak, Wrestler of the River (Init 73) doublemoves down.
Gorak Loses His Footing (1): 12
Vengeful One (Init 67) does not act.
Without A Past (Init 37) messes with the horns.
Without needs to make a saving throw! (13+): 11 (Nope)
Without takes 2 damage from the punch-trap.
Without needs to make a second saving throw to avoid being knocked off the ledge! (10+): 4 (uh oh...)
Without has fallen off the ledge!
Forges for Food (Init 30) removes the trap removal kit this round from his backpack and attempts to disarm the trap! (8+): 6+2 = 8 (Success); d8: 4
Tells Bad Jokes (Init 28) climbs back up to the 300' mark to inform the other goblins of the black blob.
Tells may be able to grab Without (10+): 5+2 = 7 (Miss); d8: 4
Walks With The Wind (Init 8 ) does not act.
Walks may be able to grab Without (10+): 6+4 = 10 (Grabbed); d8: 4
Without gets a new saving throw (10+): 8 +3 (Walks's catch) = 11 (Whew!)
Without's Resolve is Tested...
Resolve Roll (24+): 67 (Resolve holds!)

Light Source(s): Tells's Torch (25 Turns), Vengeful's Gnomish Spotlight (indefinite, 60')

Can see down to: 360 feet

---------------------------------------------------

The party has stopped to catch its breath, as Gorak continues down. Forges spends a little bit of time disarming about 1/3 of the blades (very carefully) to give Gorak some standing room once he gets down to this area. Tells climbs back up to inform the others of the black blob down there that seems to be ranging acidic shots at anything that comes within range. Everyone else has camped a little bit, whether it's because they're lost in their thoughts or are waiting for Gorak to return now that he is on his way.

The only bit of excitement that comes is when Without goes and messes with the horns on the minotaur head. He lets his fingers sink in then twists and turns them, then comically tries to pull them together and tie them in a knot, obviously having a bit of fun while waiting for Gorak to come down. The trap triggers with another loud MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and Without is hit square in the face. He loses his balance, spins once around... and goes spinning off the ledge!

Tells wasn't close enough to grab him on his way down, but Walks broke out of her thoughts and grabbed his wrist just barely in the nick of time. As this would have probably killed Without by sending him into the abyss below (if the fall to the black blob below didn't kill him the black blob certainly would...) the near-death experience tests his resolve but his morale holds and Walks helps Without to his feet, hoping that Without learns not to mess with random things in the dungeon... else Without a Past will be Without A Future.

Onward to Turn 26!

----------------------------------------------------

I really debated whether to let Without die of his own actions (especially since no one else acted or said anything) or to give those low in the Init order a chance to reach out and grab him (Walks especially, since she'd seen what twisting the horns can do and could get there in time) and finally, after much internal arguing with myself, gave both Tells and Walks a (belated) shot in the dark at it. Consider yourself lucky, Without. You were going to die there...

Turn 26 Turn Order:

Forges (77), Without (71), Gorak (65), William (46), Walks (30), Vengeful (9), Tells (7)

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Re: GAL 9: TPo1KS (Turn 25: A Near-Kill)

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:37 am

OOC: what would have happened if Without's resolve wouldn't have held?

Walks scratches her head a little, unsure what to do. She doesn't want the dagger THIS badly and down below an acid spitting something with RANGE doesn't sound too nice, either. She checks the head and how it is attached to the wall, wondering if she could sever it with her axe. Just LOOKING, mind you, not trying it out.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:54 am

In this case, not a lot unless I criticaled or critfailed. Normally it just shrugs off damage that could kill you (for a time... and if it criticals or critfails, some other effects, many psychological, may occur. If Without had fainted as a result of Resolve breaking, there would have been no chance to grab him.)

Now you've learned that a near death experience like that will still trigger a check, and Without's difficulty for Resolve did go up a little bit...

I can tell you that you'd have to be damn lucky to sever it; it's fixed onto the wall pretty tightly. Perhaps someone with immense strength, or a lucky doubles roll. Although, the thing's -still- wired a little, so breaking it might trigger things.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:02 am

when you say standing room does that mean Gorak could pass realatively safely or more he has a smaller chance of injury. either way i think forges will carry on practicing disabling traps.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:29 am

how about removing the outer shell of the minotaur head to reveal the wirings and whatnot inside (using the trap arming/disarming kit)?
► Show Spoiler

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:43 am

Gorak can pass safely, and removing the outer shell of the head would end up likely simply disarming the thing.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:52 am

William will pause and think about what to do about the black ooze. "I wonder if we can get some fire material from the bull head..." He goes over and begins working on trying to remove the outer shell of the head.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:38 pm

Vengeful will hook the grappling hook to the the dagger and then from a safe distance pull to trigger the trap and see what it does. He'll hold the rope very loosely so he doesn't get pulled anywhere.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:27 pm

Turn 26: Traps R Us Disarmed

Tells Bad Jokes: The Pit's Blue Metal Layer (300 Feet Down)
Vengeful One: The Pit's Blue Metal Layer (300 Feet Down)
William The Red: The Pit's Blue Metal Layer (300 Feet Down)
----
Gorak, Wrestler of the River: The Pit's Soft Stone Layer (180 Feet Down)

Statblock:
► Show Spoiler
Actions

Forges for Food (Init 77) attempts to disarm more of the scytheblades. (8+): 4+4 = 8 (Doubles) (Success); d8: 1 (Negative Crit)
Without A Past (Init 71) does not act.
Gorak, Wrestler of the River (Init 65) doublemoves down.
Gorak Loses His Footing (1): 6
William The Red (Init 46) attempts to remove the outer shell of the minotaur head, exposing part if not all of the trap (10+): 1+5 = 6 (Failed); d8: 8 (Positive Crit)
Walks With The Wind (Init 30) examines the minotaur head, looking for other clues as to how to defeat it or remove it. (9+): 4+4 = 8 (Doubles) (Success); d8: 2
Vengeful One (Init 9) hooks his grappling hook to the dagger, preparing to wrest it from its housing! (8+): 4+5 = 9 (Success); d8: 6
Tells Bad Jokes (Init 7) does not act.
Light Source(s): Tells's Torch (24 Turns), Vengeful's Gnomish Spotlight (indefinite, 60')

Can see down to: 360 feet

While Forges disarms the rest of the traps to make it safe for the incoming minotaur, some of the tools in the trap tool kit have dulled or broken (-1 penalty to trapworking when using the damaged tools). While it hasn't made the kit useless, it will be a little more dangerous working with these trapworking tools than those in the other kits you brought with you. While disabling each and every one of the blades, he finds a pair of oddly shaped dice wedged into the cracks between the ledge and the wall. The dice are eight-sided and made of bone, with the numbers scratched into their respective sides as if by claws. Bloodstains make the numbers stand out from the bone itself; the "1" is represented by a skull and the "8" by two skulls. These he pockets as he finishes the trapworking.

William spots the sharp "teeth" that are hidden just above the "gums" of the minotaur head while working on (and failing) to get the front of the head off. If the wire underneath the dagger is messed with, the teeth sprout up and the mouth goes SNAP, catching anyone trying to mess with the dagger with a bite they'll remember for a long long time. He finds some narrow pieces of stone and wedges the mouth open in two places to keep it from snapping shut.

While Walks examines the minotaur head, she briefly touches one of the horns, with the indents she makes from the brief touch matching in the other horn. She recognizes this as a magical lock one of the traders back at the inn once showed her -- you turn the horns downward, but two different people have to do the turning... one for each horn. The indentations made by one's hands cannot match those made by the other (essentially it's like a fingerprint scanner that needs two different sets to open). Removing the outer shell of the head would break it and lock the tongue in place, making the dagger almost unable to be retrieved. The nose chain is just a red herring that triggers the fire; it has nothing to do with releasing the dagger.

Vengeful attaches his grappling hook to the dagger itself and gives his rope a good hard yank; the dagger (and the tongue it was stuck through) pops loose from the back of the head and the wires that were attached to it snap. There's a whirring sound and then a "P'chink" sound as the mouth springs the teeth. With the mouth wedged open the "gasbags" that contain the fire breath (there are two more) can be removed with the aid of somebody's trap tool kit. They are fragile; a hard knock would cause them to break and explode on the holder and they have to be manually carried; they cannot be stored inside a backpack or satchel where they can be roughly moved about. They could of course be dropped (or thrown from this height blindly down at the acidic blob whatever-it-is further down in the Pit). Each "gasbag" is the size of a football.

The dagger itself is a silver-bladed dagger with a blood groove and the image of intertwining and interlocking serpents all along the hilt. The dagger is heavily weighted in the hilt; it's almost as if the inside were hollowed out and replaced with metal weights. Stabbing with this will deal an extra 1 damage; throwing will deal 2 instead as the weight drives it into the wound. Unfortunately with his satchel full he can't carry it unless he secures it in his backpack instead.

Onward to Turn 27!

Turn 27 Turn Order: Without (95), Tells (58), Forges (53), Vengeful (50), William (25), Gorak (16), Walks (1)

Patdragon
Game Master

Re: GAL 9: TPo1KS (Turn 26: Disarmed Traps)

Post by Patdragon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:17 am

With the rest of the trap disabled Forges is happy he'd got the job done even at the cost of cost of his tools, must have been poorly made to begin with.
Still they'd still be useful for his next task, The fountain was obviously too heavy to carry and getting Gorak to do it might seem a waste...but it was gold and the original plan in all this was to throw everything down the bottom and collect it later, if they got there...so He begin to dislodge the fountain so he can throw it over the edge avoiding the others and a glop monster if possible. If he has additional time he'll head downwards.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:15 am

Walks sighs as the nasty head-trap is rendered harmless and asks her companions: "Can one of you please shed some light on the acid blob monster below? I'd try and throw the gas bladders onto it, if I had something to aim at."

If someone lights down to the acid spitting monster, Walks VERY CAREFULLY gets one of the fire gas containing bladders and tries to dump it onto the beast. Else she'll just wait and sees what the others do, and -if safe to do so - follows them.
► Show Spoiler

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:03 am

The blob is at the 400 foot mark. To see it, someone with a torch needs to be within 40-50 feet of it, or the gnomish spotlight within 60 feet (340). So another doublemove down to the archway ledge by someone will likely be needed.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:12 pm

William sighs...He takes a torch, lights it and then sees if he can lower himself and then drop the torch onto the ledge of the blob without getting into range of the acid attacks...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:20 pm

Vengeful will stow the buckler in his backpack in favor of keeping the throwing knife in his satchel and then continue downward.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:59 pm

Post is 90% ready, going to see if Without or Tells acts and post if either of them do, or in about 5-6 hours if they don't.

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:42 pm

Tells will move down to the 350 feet to watch William and to be ready to help if the slime throw more blob shoots.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Turn 27: Tenderizing the Hamburger

Tells Bad Jokes: The Pit's Blue Metal Layer (350 Feet Down)
Vengeful One: The Pit's Blue Metal Layer (350 Feet Down)
William The Red: The Pit's Blue Metal Layer (350 Feet Down)
----
Gorak, Wrestler of the River: The Pit's Blue Metal Layer (350 Feet Down)

Statblock:
► Show Spoiler
Actions

Without A Past (Init 95) does not act. (x2)
Tells Bad Jokes (Init 58) moves down to 350 feet.
Forges for Food (Init 53) works on dislodging the fountain centerpiece with his tools. (9+): 1+6 -1 (Bad Quality) = 6 (nope); d8: 7
Vengeful One (Init 50) shifts inventory then doublemoves down to the 350' mark where the archway is.
William The Red (Init 25) lights a torch and joins Vengeful in doublemoving.
Gorak, Wrestler of the River (Init 16) doublemoves down to 240' and with a little push, tiredly reaches Forges at 250'.
Gorak Loses His Footing (1): 1 (SHIT)
Gorak needs to make a saving throw! (14+): 1 What.
Gorak has fallen off the ledge!
Walks With The Wind (Init 1) very carefully picks out one of the fire gas bladders and drops it on the Vampiric Pudding! 5+3 = 8 (Hit!); d8: 7
Gorak can attempt to grab Vengeful's rope as he falls! (9+): 6+2 = 8 (Nope); d8: 4
Gorak falls 50 feet and takes 1-3 damage per 10' beyond 10'!: 3, 3, 2, 1 = 9
Gorak needs to make a saving throw! (13+): 1 (Full damage, extra insult) What is WRONG with you, RNG!?
Gorak's Resolve is Tested...
Resolve Roll (38+): 47 (Resolve holds!)
The Vampiric Pudding (14/18 HP) does not act.

Light Source(s): Tells's Torch (22 Turns), William's Torch (35 turns), Vengeful's Gnomish Spotlight (indefinite, 60')

Can see down to: 410'

Forges finishes the disarming and then goes to work on the centerpiece, what with it being made of near solid gold. Unfortunately for him the tools don't help much in this regard and he's going to need some time to work on it (if he doesn't succeed next turn, nor Turn 29, he will automatically succeed on Turn 30 but moderately damage the centerpiece, reducing its value). While that goes on, William and Vengeful descend to the 350' mark and the archway area. They take a brief look at the ceiling to get another good look at the gears and feet, then glance at the strongboxes at the end of the corridor before shining their lights over the edge to highlight the sliminess of the blob and give something for Walks to hit. When Vengeful and William got down to the ledge, the blob below ranged another shot. However, there's a "lip" of the ledge, so as long as you don't lean over or get into too much range, it can't hit you with its acidic shots.

Gorak finally reaches Forges at the end of another doublemove, and lets go of whatever ropes were left, just to drop ten feet and land on his hooves. Before he can spit out a one-liner about if he was missed or not, the ledge beneath him gives way and he goes for a bit of a tumble Wile E Coyote style complete with little cartoon sign ("I hate gravity"). Walks drops a fire gasbag, aiming for the blob, and the flickering light of Vengeful and William highlight it well enough that it hits. The bag bursts and sets the blob on fire, and the ghoul that was inside the blob laying in wait is consumed by most of the flames. This blob is vampiric; if it catches someone it's going to suck out their life force and animate the corpse. Fortunately the tendrils of itself that were climbing the walls can only reach 30 feet, so unless you descend into its range it can't hit you except with lucky shots of itself.

Gorak lands with a loud CRACK shoulder-first on the ledge where Vengeful and William have moved to. He's made of strong stuff though and he survived the fall, though his left shoulder and collarbone have been all but smashed by the impact. He's lost the use of his left arm and he can no longer effectively wield the mattock he was carrying (or any two handed weapons) and he can no longer climb. The medicated bandages you have will have a -slight- chance to repair or dampen the effect enough so that he can (5% per medicated bandage used) or the Potion of Recovery that Forges possesses will do the job.

Onward to Turn 28!

Sweet Merciful Maglubiyet, I hope that's the LAST of the bad luck you guys see. Maybe Gorak used it all at once.

Turn 28 Turn Order:

William (97), The Vampiric Pudding (95), Tells (67), Forges (58), Walks (14), Gorak and Vengeful (13), Without (3)

Patdragon
Game Master

Re: GAL 9: TPo1KS (Turn 27: See You Next "Fall")

Post by Patdragon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:21 pm

I'm sure the fall will reduce its value more than my chiseling so Forges isn't going to be too careful here.

With the shock of Gorak passing him straight by it was probably a good thing he'd disarmed the traps a moment ago.
He goes to the ledge and shouts down.

"ARE you OK?"

Seeing that Gorak is alive but gravely injured he debates having one more chip vs the fountain and decides in true movie fashion to say

"Hold on a minute i'll Be down in a minute to help."

He then goes back to the fountain to try and dislodge it.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:26 am

Walks feels a boiling red rage rise inside her. "Are you daft, greedy or do you just not care, because he's not a goblin? Gorak's broken something and he's most likely in considerable pain! That silly fountain will be still there later on. You wanted to be in charge of that potion in case of emergency, and I daresay this qualifies, so get your butt down there and help him -now-, or at least pass the elixir!" she cries up to Forges, plainly upset.

If Forges descends to help Gorak, Walks will try to repeat her success with throwing the other gas bladder at the vampiric acid blob, again being very, very carefully.
If not, but he is willing to pass the elixir, she'll get it from him. In any case (when Forges doesn't help Gorak himself) she'll climb down to the minotaur and take care of his injury the best she can, possibly using some of the sticks she collected (with the intention of using them as torches) to splint his broken bones. She tries not to get hit by any ranged acid attacks (or other known or unknown dangers) on the way.
► Show Spoiler

Braineel
Mutters to Themself

Post by Braineel » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:20 am

Whoa! How did I miss so much? Oh wow, that RNG!

Without hurries to Gorak's aid, using whatever he has at his disposal to try to help.

"Oh no! That's bad! You're hurt! Did the ground fall apart? How?"

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:38 pm

Tells decide to throw an Alchemist Fire at the blob feeling that direct combat would be a bad idea.