GAL 9: TPo1KS (After Action Report)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Re: GAL 9: TPo1KS (Turn 30: Disarming the Chests)

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:36 pm

Turn 31: The Dwarven Control Panel

Without A Past: The Pit's Blue Metal Layer (350 Feet Down)
Tells Bad Jokes: The Pit's Poisoned Layer (400 Feet Down)
Vengeful One: The Pit's Poisoned Layer (400 Feet Down)
William The Red: The Pit's Poisoned Layer (400 Feet Down)
Forges for Food: The Pit's Blue Metal Layer (340 Feet Down)
Walks With The Wind: The Pit's Poisoned Layer (400 Feet Down)
----
Gorak, Wrestler of the River: The Pit's Poisoned Layer (400 Feet Down)

Statblock:
► Show Spoiler
Actions

Vengeful (84) heads for the 400' mark.
Gorak (74) descends in a doublemove to the 400' mark and the control panel.
Forges (38) doublemoves down.
William (37) puts the wand away, then doublemoves down.
Walks (20) pockets the loot and heads down to 400' to join Gorak.
Without (15) does not act.
Tells (14) descends to 400'.

Light Source(s): Tells's Torch (18 Turns), William's Torch (31 turns), Vengeful's Gnomish Spotlight (indefinite, 60')

Can see down to: 460'

---------------------------------------------------

While Walks pockets the valuable loot, Gorak is one of the first to reach the 400' mark where the Vampiric Pudding was. The moment his hooves touch solid ground he freezes and it looks like a chill goes up his spine, and not from the injury. He walks over to where the centerpiece from the fountain is laying, and turns it over to see the scorpion's tail is bent and it looks like the amazon's back is snapped. Ignoring it for the time being, he peers down the center of the floor, where at the direct center there is a ladder stretching down into the next part of the Pit. With the light shining from Vengeful's gnomish spotlight, Gorak can see that the ladder stretches down the middle of the Pit, leading to a small "landing spot" at the 430' mark that has room for only one person at a time to stand on. Attached to a hook on the underside of the landing spot is a long metal rope or cable spiraling into the darkness... it's a zipline, one that you estimate probably leads beyond 500'.

You don't see anything you could use to hook yourself -up- to the zipline, though, unless you use your bandages (which will damage or destroy them) and/or the pirate hook William has. You -could- climb down the zipline hand over hand; the cable is strong, taut and very sturdy.

It looks like the walls between you and the landing spot have been sculpted to have sharp edges and hooks and spikes and all manner of sharpened edges. There are visible cracks or "seams" every ten feet, making this part of the pit between control panel and landing pad seem like several "sections" stacked one on top of the other. Dust in the air reveals a lattice of yellowish light beams in a criss crossing formation, making it very difficult to avoid passing through them on the way down the ladder (and all but impossible for Gorak). In five places, you can see bloodstained rusty metal glaive-blades flush against the wall that make it look as if they're makeshift spear traps, however none of the glaives are in line with the lattice of light beams. You can't really tell where the light beams are originating from.

"I've got a bad feeling about this." Gorak says. "Something has my back fur all on end."

Meanwhile the control panel has had its identification panels eaten away, so you don't know which lever does what. From left to right, there is a lever in the shape of a cube (in the "down" position), a dial with three settings (left, center and right, currently set to the right), a lever with a ball-shaped handle (in the "up" position), a lever shaped like the glaive-blades below (in the "up" position, and the blade itself on this lever is a dial that can go left or right), and finally a big button that looks like it used to be coated in vibrant purple paint. The levers themselves are made of reddish granite, and the control panel of red and yellow layers of sandstone; this is a bright difference from the sickly greenish stone that has marked the beginning of a new layer of the Pit. The walls of this area of the pit are coated in a minor toxin that becomes inert after contact, so you can't harvest it (it does 1 point of damage, and if you get knocked into the walls while in this layer, you'll take more).

On the back of the control panel are what appear to be instructions... in Dwarvish. Gorak does not know Dwarvish.

Finally, when William put the wand away, it hissed at him and he could hear a voice in his mind going "USE ME! HEEHEEHEE!" Fortunately, no ill effects came from handling the wand. Using the wand, on the other hand...

Onward to Turn 32!

----------------------------------------------------

Turn 32 Turn Order:

Walks (95), Gorak (89), Without (88), Forges (84), Tells (80), William (51), Vengeful (33)
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Patdragon
Game Master

Re: GAL 9: TPo1KS (Turn 31: If Only You Had A Dwarf)

Post by Patdragon » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:40 am

Double move down again then for forges.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:44 am

"Gorak, can you watch the various items and tell me any changes, while I try out these levers?" Walks asks. If Gorak agrees (and no one is in range of them!) she'll switch the lever that looks like the glaive-blades into the opposite position.
Else she tries to make head or tails out of the instructions. (Maybe there's some pictures included?)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Braineel
Mutters to Themself

Post by Braineel » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:26 am

Playing catchup again. Without double moves to the party.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:13 am

Posting from phone. Modem is dead. Phone company's new excuse is 'line damage' and the only tech available is Monday if not tuesday. Thus we are on hiatus. see you next week.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:56 pm

Internet is back again. It really does seem like any time I complain about it, it does come back. However, this time I'm having the tech come out as scheduled, I'm TIRED of this constant disruption!

I'll post the next turn tomorrow so that way the other three of you can post. (There are no pretty pictures, Gathers... that's what the dwarf was for... but someone had to go and kill him... heh)

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:57 pm

Tells move down to check on the zipline
Haven't played this signature game in a long while but I'll try it out again.

Help these poor little guys hatch.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:25 pm

Vengeful will help Walks decipher the control panel.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:51 pm

-throws up hands- I give up. offline again. will post saturday. adios until then.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:44 pm

Internet is back up after another extreme outage. Tech on the way tomorrow.

Working on the post now to get it in before internet decides to die again.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:35 pm

I know I said I'd post saturday due to all these disruptions of my internet service, but I see my little modem lights are -finally- green and solid instead of orange and blinking so I am taking this chance as I can to make a post!

Turn 32: Sir Skewered-A-Lot

Without A Past: The Pit's Poisoned Layer (400 Feet Down)
Tells Bad Jokes: The Pit's Poisoned Layer (400 Feet Down)
Vengeful One: The Pit's Poisoned Layer (430 Feet Down)
William The Red: The Pit's Poisoned Layer (400 Feet Down)
Forges for Food: The Pit's Poisoned Layer (400 Feet Down)
Walks With The Wind: The Pit's Poisoned Layer (400 Feet Down)
----
Gorak, Wrestler of the River: The Pit's Poisoned Layer (400 Feet Down)

Statblock:
► Show Spoiler
Actions

Walks (95) pulls the glaive-lever then tries to make sense of the instructions on the back. (11+): 5+2 = 7 (Nope); d8: 5
Gorak (89) keeps an eye on things as Walks requested.
Without (88) doublemoves in order to catch up to the party.
Forges (84) doublemoves down again.
Tells (80) descends to the little zipline landing spot and examines it. He has to cross the light beams to do it though!
Glaive #1 Strikes!: 4+2 -2 (not in line with the light beams) = 4 (Miss); d8: 5
Glaive #2 Strikes!: 6+1 -2 (not in line with the light beams) = 5 (Miss); d8: 6
Glaive #3 Strikes!: 3+2 -2 (not in line with the light beams) = 3 (Miss); d8: 6
Glaive #4 Strikes!: 2+2 -2 (not in line with the light beams) = 2 (Doubles) (Hit!); d8: 3; Damage (1d5): 2 +1 (Poison) +2 (Doubles) = 5
Tells' Resolve is Tested...
Resolve (22+): 78 (Resolve holds!)
Tells has a 3 in 4 chance to shrug off future damage.
Glaive #5 Strikes!: 6+4 -2 (not in line with the light beams) = 8 (Hit!); d8: 1; Damage (1d5): 1 +1 (Poison) = 2
Damage Shrug Off (25+): 68 (Success!)
Tells' Resolve is Tested...
Resolve (26+): 77 (Resolve holds!)
Tells has a 2 in 4 chance to shrug off future damage.
William (51) does not act.
Vengeful (33) assists Walks trying to figure out the instructions. (11+): 1+4 = 5 (Nope); d8: 5

Light Source(s): Tells's Torch (17 Turns), William's Torch (30 turns), Vengeful's Gnomish Spotlight (indefinite, 60')

Can see down to: 460'

---------------------------------------------------

While the rest of the party plays catch up again (and I bear through another several-hour long internet outage... seriously, Time Warner, get your shit together), Walks, Gorak and Vengeful attempt to puzzle out the control panel. It's no real use, as without knowledge of dwarvish you're not going to be able to read the panel. Walks pulls down the lever shaped like the glaive blades, and there is a loud CLUNK and the sound of something cycling within the walls down there. It looked like the glaives loosened a bit in their positions, but they didn't move or strike out toward the center and the ladder.

... ... ... until Tells climbed down, crossed the light beams that were going through the center of the ladder, and triggered them before Walks could pull the lever back up to its original position. As the glaives are out of alignment, most of them miss. One glaive strikes HARD but Tells shrugs it off, and the last one seems to simply be a glancing blow and Tells is able to parry it with his harpoon, breaking the blade off the handle to send it spiraling into the abyss below. He's badly injured, but he's made it to the landing spot where the zipline is. The zipline is quite sturdy, very easily made out as dwarven handicraft. If this had any chance of breaking at all, it already would be broken, but that still doesn't answer the question of what you're going to -use- for a means to get down unless you simply all climb down hand over hand.

Vengeful can't make out the dwarvish either, but while examining the control panel, he does make out something shiny wedged in between the gears of the ball-shaped lever. Whatever that shiny thing is, it's jamming the lever in the "up" position. It looks like a shiny bit of green bent metal.

There is no room to stand on the platform where the zipline is as long as Tells is standing there. The little platform is big enough only for one person to stand on.

Onward to Turn 33!

----------------------------------------------------

You guys really don't have a shot at making out the dwarven instructions unless you roll a natural 11 on the 2d6... not even a double will work well here.

I'll understand if I don't see posts for a bit since I did say I was posting saturday. Really wish this internet problem would be resolved, but it always seems to go back up before the tech gets here and they can't find their asses with both hands, a GPS system, advanced missile radar and a Star Trek targeting system.

Turn 33 Turn Order:

Vengeful (97), Forges (88), William (69), Gorak (35), Tells (26), Without (21), Walks (9)

Quarg

Re: GAL 9: TPo1KS (Turn 32: Behave, Internet!)

Post by Quarg » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:14 am

William nods and then looks at Vengful..."You go first since you damn well killed the dwarf...for no particular reason..."
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:49 am

OOC: Erm, I explicitly wrote that Walks would only switch the lever if NO ONE was in reach of the glaive-blades.
GathersIngredients wrote:"Gorak, can you watch the various items and tell me any changes, while I try out these levers?" Walks asks. If Gorak agrees (and no one is in range of them!) she'll switch the lever that looks like the glaive-blades into the opposite position.
Else she tries to make head or tails out of the instructions. (Maybe there's some pictures included?)

Walks shrieks in shock as Tells gets hurt by her fault. "I'm so sorry." she stammers and is a little distraught that she can't hurry towards him to apply a healing bandage, since there's no room for her on the little platform.

For now she stays where she is, unsure what to do next. To keep herself from doing anything else dangerous, she tries to figure out the instructions some more.
► Show Spoiler

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:10 am

No one -appeared- to be in reach at the time you turned them "on" (for lack of better words, since that's what happened). No one knew they'd be triggered the moment the light beams were crossed. You went before Tells did in the list, so...

But at least now you know what -that- lever does when pulled, so returning it to its original position -should- turn the blades off if nothing else is touched...

EDIT a few minutes later: Looks like ThinksLogically is going away for 3 weeks according to a PM she shot me, so updates to the other thread when you return (and you -will- be returning before hitting the bottom of the Pit) aren't going to be coming soon (which REALLY impedes this adventure, given what's next in the list of things to do / discover...)

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:41 am

OC: I think Pits has it out for me :stab:

"Auggggggg... it ok you didnt know what would happen" said Tells as he move back up hoping the trap back on when he get up there.
Haven't played this signature game in a long while but I'll try it out again.

Help these poor little guys hatch.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:54 am

I'm going to be nice and say that Tells holds action until AFTER Walks throws the switch back, since Tells moves before Walks next turn. If he climbed back up before the trap is turned "off" he'll just get glaive'd again.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:41 pm

OFFLINE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE -- I was never supposed to have internet. Requires electrician to fix due to old house and other reasons. We return next friday. Adios!

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:42 am

I guess forges will check the dials and levers just in case he can get the 11 thats needed
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:29 pm

So. My situation.

Posting from the local library as I got a library card.

My situation is this. So I got the tech to come out and check the internet, where we found burnt out wires and damaged lines. We thought it was lightning. It was not.

The guy goes to reconnect the internet at the house to the telephone pole and gets a Shocking Grasp effect, of nearly ten volts. Not much but enough to make him go To Hell With You and say the house is not up to code. He threw a -fit-, went off about working 25 years, etc etc etc.

There is no grounding at the back of the house; the former residents stole all the copper and groundings and such and metal (at least, that was what I was told). The house now has its own electric charge with nowhere to go, and it fried the line. I saw the burn marks, I would have thought it was lightning until the guy attached some kind of device that displayed "7.2 volts" when touched against the aluminum siding.

So, the house has its own electric charge and "We can't have that flooding back to the main line, it will knock off everyone else if powerful enough." So until an electrician can come out and find the "source" of the charge, it is not legal for me to get internet. I -could- tell them to Fuck Off and try comcast but I figure knowledge is shared so I -still- couldn't get it (plus that wouldn't fix the problem, only delay it).

As my paranoid brain goes into overtime, naturally I am formulating nightmare scenarios. What if the charge is coming from my deranged surge protector and bad wiring from so many things plugged in (monitor, computer, fan, etc)? No other plugs are close -or- work except for one (my microwave and room light). What if the wiring of the house has to be completely stripped out to resolve the problem? What if the electrcian can't find the source of the charge, as the house power is... weird and old and dusty and 1940s. What if the charge is "natural" due to the aluminum siding, and can't be removed? How the hell am I going to afford it, electricians are NOT cheap? I have to pay 300 in rent out of 700 a month, and I barely have that for this month right now. On top of that my asthma medicine is now all but gone and I need to find a clinic who will listen to someone who trips over their words constantly when trying to explain what I need. THAT won't be cheap either, especially if I have to try multiple clinics to get someone who will take me seriously.

I know, I know. But I plan for the worst so I can be surprised if less than the worst happens.

So, the Pit of 1000 Skulls is officially on hiatus until I get home internet; I can never concentrate enough to focus to write the posts on a library machine. Fortunately now that I have a library card I can at least check in and stay "connected" but I won't be checking this thread until after I get home internet. It is probably for the better as ThinksLogically said I have already given out as much loot as any normal adventure so far, and you're only 400 feet down! I WAS going to seal the place at the end of the zipline to force you to return for "specialized digging tools", though, so. On top of that Thinks is going away for 3 weeks, so updates to the GAL page itself aren't going to be for a while.

So until then, we're on hiatus. I'll still be around in the Hidden forum once a day or so now that I have a library card. If anyone wants my text number, I'll give that out in a PM.

Quarg

Re: GAL 9: TPo1KS (Forced Hiatus)

Post by Quarg » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:10 pm

Not the siding but likely a lack of a grounding wire between the house's electrical panel and (usually) the water supply pipe.
And who knows what is causing the power leakage to ground...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:36 am

Hang in there Aegis.

Just a little addendum on the previous post: Walks will also turn the glaives switch OFF again, if no one has done so until it's her turn, Tells can come back safely.
► Show Spoiler

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:13 am

Update. Time Warner is either lying through its teeth, or (I suspect) the first tech didn't like me and either did something or feigned the shock. "Should be" reconnected tomorrow, but I don't trust a damn word they say anymore.

Because I was going to have you guys come up against a wall anyway, I'll explain what's further down beyond this trap (the trick was to ignore the controls completely since the trap was in the "off" position"; curiosity is a dangerous thing; the other levers cause the individual sections to spin, giving the glaives a bonus to hit since it's a "flanking" attack). The zipline goes down about 100 feet and stops in a cave in, requiring specialized tools (or a Wand of Dig maybe a trader might have?) to get out. The tools Gorak carries won't be enough and neither will your trap disarming tools. And yes, this is basically an excuse to get you back to town for a resupply now that you know what kinds of crap is down there.

Also, that bit of metal jamming one of the levers I mentioned? It's an (enchanted) ring. Depending on my mood after tomorrow, I might handwave everything just to get you back to town for relaxation, identification of some of the magic items (circlet, fingerbone, dice) and resupply. Besides, ThinksLogically is gone for three weeks on work (she told me in a PM she'd be "out to sea") so it'd be a good idea to update the Trapper Keeper. We'll see how things go down tomorrow and if Time Warner tries to lie through its teeth again.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:20 pm

Back Online.

Do you want to continue, or do you want me to handwave everything and say you guys get back to town with Gorak and the old man? I'm tempted to say I want to wait until Thinks gets back so the GAL thread can be updated with a new "turn", so to speak. It's up to you guys.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:55 pm

I'm happy to continue. And presuming we do Vengeful will continue to work out how the control panel functions.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Braineel
Mutters to Themself

Post by Braineel » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:21 pm

I'm fine with any option. I'm in no hurry, but then again, I've been a bit confused for a while over where precisely we are; being in town might be a good way to get our bearings.