Potential: OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Potential: OOC

Post by Dlover » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:42 am

Being able to do anything is a great thing for most people. For me... I sort of struggle when given lots of options, and a near infinite number is very big... Heading across to the ranch does seem like a good idea, though. Animal places are always good... After I stop lugging around everything I own, I suppose.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:08 am

Aww those things are adorable!

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:58 am

I do sympathize with you there Dlover. I agree that when you have infinite options you can sometimes be lost for a direction. I still like this type of game but I find that unless I set goals and side goals for myself I can often find myself lost. If you think to yourself "Every spare opportunity my character is going to practice his ____" or "In every new place ask about _____" or "I need X amount more money to buy something look for an opportunity". If you decide on things like that about your character, you can often more easily fill lulls where you're not sure what to do. If it helps write them in your character/game notes.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:11 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Aww those things are adorable!
Super cute, right?! Sadly, viewed as a grain-store-invading pest and also a tasty snack food in historical times, but you don't have to eat it. :shrug:

I know how daunting "you can do anything!" can be too... But think of it like Oblivion. You'll trip over something interesting before you have a chance to get -too- bored, even if you just pick a direction and walk. Dun dun dun, mud crab! Weird flowers! A ruin! Wandering khajit! Even if you stayed in the little village, stuff would eventually start happening around you. It's just I can't throw massive exciting stuff around in a place that's supposed to be dull. Over in G1, half the group are currently rebuilding a wall. Not exactly adventure central, but they did it to earn some gear, and in doing so, explored a bit further away, met a shop dude, found out about a guy who traded a weird musical instrument in at said shop, etc.

You could do far worse than just chilling out with your hound though, which you're doing right now, if you want to "make character progress" until the group moves along. He knows tricks, you and he can practice together and maybe he could learn more, etc. He is already loyal, but as you're special now, you can deepen your bond with him further than a regular guy could. Chuck's proof of that - he straight up Snow Whited a bird into his hand :p

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:28 am

Oh, I've definitely got a goal - Become a badass druid-like person. And make the dog a familiar of sorts, as a secondary goal. Still mulling over the "Take over the world with an army of hellhounds" idea. :P Only problem is... Well, when a character doesn't yet know magic exists, let alone druids, it's kind of hard to think of how to push them in the right direction. In terms of short-term goals, I'm drawing blanks. I guess really the best way to start is to get him interacting with animals, right?
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:52 am

I'm still convinced that the D&D pantheon came to be by arriving unbound by constraints in the same way we are. Long long term goal is to attain deity status. :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:12 am

But being a god is boring. People expect you to do stuff for them. Or they expect you to want them to do everything for you. Either way, boring.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:22 am

Long, long term... lots of adventuring to do before we overthrow the current gods...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:25 am

Adventuring first and stopping to be a god would just make it more boring, though.
My game:

My characters:

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:58 am

I picked out goals too. Leonie is trying to learn as much information of the world as she can, earn some money through working, learn more about with her cat, and is going to practice her aim. While doing those things I came across a relationship to help mend as a longer term goal.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:04 am

My long term goal....I dont know!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:23 am

Dlover wrote:Adventuring first and stopping to be a god would just make it more boring, though.
I'm not saying we'll ever teach it. That is just the motivation for acquiring phenomenal cosmic powers. And no one says gods have to stop having adventurers.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:31 am

short time goal: earn & learn enough stuff to survive, even in the wilderness (preferably self-sufficient, but for now she'll have to rely on others, simply due to lack of skills and equip)
medium time goal: remember/find out about the thieves guild/the medallion Bobby has and who was/is the one she took it from and/or the potential buyer.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:32 am

Short term: bake all the breads.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:47 am

immediate goal: turn Feather into a familiar
short-term goal: find something interesting to investigate
mid-term goal: become sneakier
long-term goal: become a spellthief
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:44 am

Short term goal: hunt animals, try to find lynx/bobcat
Short-mid term goal: make the giant kitty a companion
Mid term: master ranged
Long term: ????

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:33 pm

ChuckDaRighteous wrote:immediate goal: turn Feather into a familiar
short-term goal: find something interesting to investigate
mid-term goal: become sneakier
long-term goal: become a spellthief
Not to nitpick, and I know you're talking about 'your goals' more than 'your character's goals', but your dude shouldn't know that familiars or spellthieves even exist. So that's fine for your meta-goals, but Tim's goals can't really include "become a spellthief" right now... That's like your life goals including "become a member of the illuminati" :shrug:

I let the mind-meld attempt slide because stuff has to progress IC eventually so you might as well start, even if it was entirely random...but finding a bird and immediately deciding to try and make it into your familiar struck me as pretty out there when I first saw it. How many times have you tried that irl? :lol:

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:05 pm

nikohl wrote:How many times have you tried that irl? :lol:
How many times irl have you suddenly been implanted into the body of a person in another world? If it ever happens to me for real, I promise you I will try to mind-meld with something.

Honestly, I hadn't even intended to have a familiar at all, originally. But because it was so friendly I tried to see if I could repeat what happened to us fully expecting "nothing happens; you feel like an idiot," and then abandon it. But because something happened I tried to continue. Calling it a familiar is just a simplification of "try to merge with the mind of the bird in a non-druidic way"

And yeah spellthief is an ooc goal. But I designed Tim thinking he would be someone who could become a spellthief, because I thought that would be fun to play in this environment when you were describing the premise of the game.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:11 pm

Something happened because it's totally possible :cheer: I just felt like it was a bit of a stretch for "things I think I can/might do" within a couple hours of waking up in a foreign place with no memories and stuff, but I'm not you, and I'm not going to totally restrict you guys on anything you try like that unless it's actually impossible or I think it's genuinely really meta.

On a similar note, waking up in someone else's body and immediately going off to try and make friends with a large, wild clawed beast with no skills in that area or knowledge that there are people who even -can- do that is equally strange to my mind... But is also considerably more deadly. Just a gentle warning o:)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:00 pm

I am not stupid enough to make friends with an adult. I need to find a big fluffy abandoned kitty! That is stull technically still wild, abd clawed.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:56 pm

nikohl wrote:but finding a bird and immediately deciding to try and make it into your familiar struck me as pretty out there when I first saw it. How many times have you tried that irl? :lol:
............ I definitely have totally not made similar attempts a dozen times. :shifty:
nikohl wrote:On a similar note, waking up in someone else's body and immediately going off to try and make friends with a large, wild clawed beast with no skills in that area or knowledge that there are people who even -can- do that is equally strange to my mind... But is also considerably more deadly. Just a gentle warning o:)
Okay, that one I actually haven't- Well, I guess there are no wild clawed beasts near where I live... Other than more birds. And they're all relatively small...
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:29 pm

...But....you live in auzzie. Don't you have drop bears?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:39 pm

Sure, but there aren't many tall trees to drop out of near my house, and they're more teeth than claws anyway.
My game:

My characters:

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:27 pm

For those of you who might read "Ryush has triggered his special...":

You didn't forget you all had a Special, did you? :D

Those of you who have minor specials that are "Always On" are...well, always on. So you might not end up with a "has triggered..." post like that at all, and you might not even see a hint of your ability for a while, as a situation that demonstrates your innate-ness to you might not crop up. But it's there and you have it, so yay. A couple of you have meta ones, like Alaen and Asks, so they're even less likely to show up in actual RP posts, but their effects are there and ready to happen without you having to do anything to initially activate them.

Alternately, some of you have been told that you'd start with a vague feeling about your ability but need to experiment to see how it worked because it is new and unusual - Spider's character had one of those, and he's just had it happen, because he followed the occasional bug-based hooks I left in case he felt like it, and he made it clear what he was trying for once he started roleplaying it out.

Differently again, some of you have abilities that aren't "Always On" but also don't have any mention of "...vague feeling" - for clarity in case anyone missed it, these are things either your modern person or host body already had some measure of, so you will innately have some sense of them, but will have to naturally come across a situation wherein it occurs to you to try them.

I shall give some meta examples for understandin' (you guys get to know the "why" but nobody's character does yet): e.g. Synch's "Curse" - in the real world, Remy probably did make 'voodoo dolls' and throw 'hexes' around for show... it's just out here, it works, and until he tries it he won't know that. And Gathers' "Slip Through" - Bobby the host character had occasionally benefited from a magical effect (via wand, potion, you don't know) on thieving jobs that would have a similar effect; B.J. manifested in her body with that innate ability, and at an appropriate time, the combination of memory and natural traits will align...and she'll probably fall sideways through a wall or something :lol:

Anyway. What I'm saying is anyone without an innate/always-on sort of ability will discover it and be able to use it quickly via proper roleplaying, and you will be given plenty of opportunities and no obstruction from me in finding out/getting to play with the things that are on your sheets because those are yours and are not meant to be hidden from you for very long :lol:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:54 pm

Is that like my forestwalk? Or is it something else?