Potential: Group Two Game Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Potential: Group Two Game Thread

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:29 pm

He lets or his breath with a whoosh, and he slowly stands, trying not to disturb his visitor while gritting his teeth against the anticipated tingling of pain as his leg wakes up. Once he's mobile, he will extend his palm out in front of him and take halting steps towards the window.

If the insect seems disturbed, he'll slow down and hum calmly... He vaguely recalled spending long hours catching or... Collecting similar creatures...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:50 pm

► Show Spoiler
Whilst he can't really ascribe feelings to such a tiny, inexpressive critter with any accuracy, Ryush is pretty sure the cicada would be nervous and rather worried in this situation, were it capable of such emotion - however, he is equally sure that it responded to him in some way during his meditation, and that when he knocked himself out of his meditative state by trying to locate a single bug among the chorus, this is who he found: perhaps this particular fellow was the largest, loudest, boldest or the otherwise most remarkable to his subconscious mind.

Sure that the best of the local bunch is brave enough to withstand his approach, he hums a low, tuneless sort of hum and shuffles closer - and is rewarded by the cicada continuing its serenade with renewed gusto. He gets the feeling the bug 'thinks' this is what he wants to hear; after all, he was somewhat conducting a full orchestra of the same sound mere moments before. The cicada is resolutely performing a solo encore.

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:28 pm

While I was waiting for the fire to get hot enough, I decided to take a closer look at the tarot cards, starting with the Fool.

I had still had a vague idea of the traditional symbolism of the cards, but each deck was different and a change in the illustration could put a different twist on it's meaning.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:07 am

The Fool is one of the most crumpled cards. On brief inspection, Rene sees its title is "The Foolish Man", and beneath the drawing, secondary text reads "The Spirit of Ether." The artwork briefly comprises a man holding a flower, staring into the sun with a vicious dog at his side, but Ren├® knows there is more than meets the eye here - there are symbols etched into the lines making up the sky, markings on the clothing, even hints of other creatures and shapes in the scenery. He notes with interest that this is one of the less-complex drawings. Once the cards are ironed flat, he could spend a long time poring over each.

[I'm going to assign CP values to studying the cards - once you meet the totals, I'll give you pictures to refer to. Plus you'll gain SP as you go along by doing it this way. It might take a while to 'finish' if you check out a card here and there, but I think it suits the concept best. When you see the illustrations, you'll see why I think it's a CP task. They're hella detailed.)

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:49 am

► Show Spoiler
Remy brings his herbs inside and lays them out. He plucks the heads from the cowslips and places them in one of his belt pouches, and cuts the roots of the cowslips off and places them in another. Although edible, the greenery he discards to conserve space. He pockets the dandelion heads also.
The vial of foxglove seeds are wrapped carefully and placed in Remy's backpack. The red cat's tails Remy is not sure of, but decides to tie them with a small bit of twine to the outside of his backpack.
The leopard's bane plants Remy decides to stuff into a sack or something else suitable, knowing that it all will be eventually crushed anyway. The elderberries Remy will remove from their sprigs with a fork and keep contained in a clay pot or jar until he can dry them better.
Finally the comfrey root Remy will clean with water and cut into strips for drying and keep in a pouch.

Heading outside, Remy will see if he can find the dandelion roots belonging to the plants he harvested, and dig those up also. If he can acquire some, he will clean them off with some water and slice them up for drying also, placing them with the dandelion heads.
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:12 am

(No problem - however, I can use that for last turn if you want, which means you still have an action for this turn. Any ideas what you want to do? Or shall I just say you take your time with this and catch you up that way?)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:52 pm

Ryush:

Ryush stands and listens to the cicada's song.

[Most of your turn was taken up by the mini-updates up til now, this is like the last... minute or so :lol:]

--

Remy:

(Last turn and this turn also)

Remy finds a few dandelion roots to add to his collection, then heads back inside and cleans up and organises his findings for storage.
► Show Spoiler
He's mostly done.

--

Remy finishes off cleaning and sorting.
► Show Spoiler

--

Lance:

Lance entertains the puppies, as he said he would, while the woman prepares several bowls of meat, milk, vegetables and some grains for their suppers. She's soaked the grains in the milk and is just chopping up offcuts of meat and organs and the odd bit of carrot and potato into bitesize pieces.

The puppies don't seem to have noticed that the woman has food, because they're too busy playing with Lance and Patrick! The two on the floor are using Patrick as a diving board, taking it in turns to climb onto his back and leap off before running back around for another go, and the one in Lance's arms has turned onto its back and is demanding near-constant belly rubs, growling rather adorably whenever Lance stops scritching.

--

Timothy:

Timothy holds out a handful of barley, which soon gets Feather's attention. When she comes over and starts eating, he takes the opportunity to try to reach out to her mind while she is quiet and occupied.
► Show Spoiler
While he watches, the glow surrounding his hand reaches out to Feather as before... and by some stroke of dumb luck, it almost appears that the light pokes the poor creature right in the eye. She chokes on a beakful of barley and leaps away, unfurling her wings mid-jump and flapping desperately around the room. It's a good job Timothy closed the window.

--

Ren├®:

Ren├® does some more packing. He finds that, atop his clothes and so on, his beekeeping equipment fills the rucksack up entirely. It's rather bulky.

Then he sets a fire going, planning to flatten out the tarot cards with a makeshift iron. While he waits for it to heat up, he looks over a couple of the cards.

[The fire is now hot enough to start to work with.]

--

B.J.:

B.J. finds a broom where she found the mop earlier, and carries on working. The room is only small, so it doesn't take long to sweep all the dust and rubbish into a little pile, and then scoop it into the dustpan and dispose of it outside.
► Show Spoiler
--

Amanda:

:shrug:

Amanda's headache is returning.

----
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:28 pm

Tim will do his best to calm Feather down. While doing so it occurs to him that the glow seemed to have a physical effect. Before the glow just wrapped around the bird. But this actually had an effect. Once she is calmed he will examine her eye, hoping to figure out if the glow did any damage and possibly any insight on how to control it better.
► Show Spoiler
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:12 pm

(OOC: Yeah, sorry about the delay. Partly I was hanging on for actions and then partly I was busy in the run-up to mom's wedding. Should be back to our regular-ish update schedule now!)
► Show Spoiler
Timothy's initial attempts to calm Feather down aren't too successful, as they basically entail him waving up at her from the ground while she flaps around at ceiling-height out of reach. When she's exhausted all corners and bounced off the window a few times and generally discovered she can't escape, though, she lands on the top of the door-jamb, a little calmer. He still can't quite reach her without making a mad grab at her, but he can talk to her and generally be soothing "at her" now she's still. She does seem to respond positively to his voice - while she's obviously upset and startled, she hasn't forgotten him. She tilts her head to the side and looks down at him, before loudly exclaiming "A-a-a-a!", breaking the silence in the room.

From this distance, he can see that there's no blood around her eye and she doesn't seem to be holding it closed or anything else that would indicate an obvious injury. There might be more to see up-close, but at least he can tell there's nothing awful going on from back here.

He can also see that his own glow hasn't changed in any way that would suggest it had suddenly become physical or spiky. He concludes that perhaps his intense desire to have the glow affect the bird, to reach and really contact her, combined with his lack of expertise with it, had led him to essentially fumble with this strange new tool. At a crucial moment, his control slipped, and rather than the glow enveloping Feather and allowing him to reach into her mind as he wished, it once again failed to pass through the 'barrier' of her body. This time, however, the extent of his failure was great enough that she seemed to actually notice the intrusion, and register it as physical contact.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:18 pm

Tim continues to try and coax her down by holding out the barley.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:11 pm

Lance grins at the little puppies, then puts the one he's holding on the ground, "Let's see how smart you three are, hm? Sit."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:15 pm

Ryush feels a bit silly as he tells the cicada that he'll be right back, before heading in and removing the last batch of bread from the oven. He grabs the proper tool to bank the coals in ash in case he needs to do some more cooking later, and lays out the newest loaves to cool. He'll have a bit of a check on the first ones just to judge how they came out, before returning to the cicada's serenade.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:26 pm

Looking around, Remy feels much more prepared now. However, with no-one else having returned yet, he still has some time up his sleeve. He looks around his hut to get an idea of what is left that may be useful, before sitting down to wrack his thoughts on what Ethan's ointment could have been and what was involved in its preparation.
While he initially had no plans to uphold his end of the bargain, having some spare time means he will at least consider fulfilling it, thinking he could use some practice in unfogging his memories and working on his compounding and herbalism. If he does happen to recall what was involved, he will look around to see if he had any of the ointment in storage, or else any ingredients used.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:48 pm

Now that my bag was packed and the fire was nice and hot I could get started ironing the cards.

I put on my mesh gloves, sitting down with the knife and the cards near the hearth. I took out the first card (The Fool), flattened it with my hand a bit, and laid the towel on top of it, so the heat wouldn't burn the card. I held the knife in the hearth until it was relatively hot, and then pulled the flat of the still hot knife over the towel in slow methodical strokes. Too keep me occupied and maybe refresh my memory a bit, I decided to recite the meaning of the cards as I still remembered it. This deck might not quite be the same as I remembered, but the general symbolism usually still applied in some way or another.

"The Fool: Inexperience and innoccence, but also inspiration, potential or a hidden talent. A symbol of freedom and free will, but also madness and chaos. The beginning of a journey and infinte possibilities."

((Just as a note: My interpretations and imagery are mostly drawn from the Rider-Waite deck, since it's the most popular and often used version.))

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:10 pm

(mini-update, even though nearly everyone has a post, they're all little things!)

Timothy

Timothy holds out a handful of barley to get Feather's attention. She soon forgets her earlier upset and hops back down, via the dresser and table, working her way around towards him tentatively. After a moment or two she returns to eating the grains out of his hand.

--

Lance

Lance gets the attention of the three puppies (with some help from Patrick who stops letting them jump all over him) and tries to teach them a basic command - or test to see whether they already know it.
► Show Spoiler
They look quizzically up at him, and for a moment they seem like they're about to just carry on playing, but then Patrick plonks his butt down and they seem to get the idea that something important is happening and they're meant to do the same. One by one, they sit down - however, it lasts for about a second and a half before one bites another's ear, and the third jumps on them both, and then they're off and running again. They definitely don't understand the word, but they've copied Patrick, which is promising...

[This was a mini-action; you can spend the rest of the turn rollling a CP task to teach them properly if you want, although it will have higher target numbers to reflect the difficulty in handling three at once!]

--

Ryush

Ryush excuses himself from the singing bug, who doesn't seem to react to him backing away, and goes to take his last batch of bread out of the oven. He leaves it to cool for a moment while he moves the coals to best retain their heat, then goes back to inspect all three batches of loaves in comparison to one another and see how they all turned out.

He's pretty impressed. One lot are a little paler and flatter than the others, but only marginally, and they all appear to have risen and baked the requisite amount to be edible and tasty. They're sturdy and dense and once fully cool should travel well and keep well. Each batch produced twelve almost bar-like loaves about four inches square, so he has a total of 36.
► Show Spoiler
He leaves the breads out to continue cooling and returns to stand beside the windowsill - the noises from the bug had tapered off while he wasn't paying attention, but when he returns, the little critter perks up and starts chirping loudly again.

--

Remy

Remy doesn't particularly recall making anything for Ethan before, and can't find anything seemingly relevant in-stock, but he got the feeling the old man was being cagey in his description of the "problem" in public out of embarrassment, so perhaps it was a personal issue.

As far as leftovers, Remy's packed up the herbalism-based contents of Rafe's hut. There's a little wooden cask of rum in which some animal bones had been soaking; he took the bones but left the cask, as it's not very portable (or potable!), but as far as raw ingredients or crafting supplies he'd packed the rest. Left in his larder there's a jar of pickled eggs, a sack of grain and a string of onions, all of which will keep well but won't travel too well; he's also got eating utensils, furniture, firewood, a minimal amount of soft furnishings and the like. He had a hand-trowel and a long handled hoe in the garden for tending to his plants, which he could take, but that would be awkward to put into his backpack.

--

Ren├®

Ren├®'s mesh gloves aren't heat-proof; they're almost like very fine crocheted silk, made to protect against bee-stings rather than bits of hot metal. He could use them, but he might risk damaging them if he's not careful with the heated knife. Plus his hand, that too.

[I'm going to say that ironing the 22 cards is a 5CP task, as once you're in the swing of it, it'll progress quite quickly. It'll take up your turn, I just wanted to give you a heads-up about the gloves.]

--

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:23 pm

Tim pets feather trying to further calm her, before once again trying to meld minds.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:06 pm

nikohl wrote:Ren├®'s mesh gloves aren't heat-proof; they're almost like very fine crocheted silk, made to protect against bee-stings rather than bits of hot metal. He could use them, but he might risk damaging them if he's not careful with the heated knife. Plus his hand, that too.
((Well, damn. Use one of the spare shirts as cover for the cards then, and wrap the towel around the grip of the knife.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:31 pm

"Alright, the three of you are a little too easily distracted together," Lance says, as he reaches out to rub Patrick as a reward for obeying, "Let's focus on one of you, and you can teach the other two." Lance guides one of the pups away from the other two and places a gentle hand on its back, above the hind legs, pushing down only ever so slightly, "Sit."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:42 pm

B.J. continues to clean the shop (probably get mop & bucket with water now and mop the floor). She's humming quietly to herself while she works.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:26 am

Ryush extends his hand, palm up, and tries to coax the little singer to land upon it.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:27 pm

► Show Spoiler
After a couple of seconds where it carries on chirping away instead, the bug seems to get the message, and leaps from the windowsill to Ryush's palm in one big, quite ungainly jump. It sits there unmoving and now-silent; while it's too small and too faceless to really tell, it does rather seem like it's looking up at him.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:21 am

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:59 am

Synch wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:39 am

► Show Spoiler
Remy decides to wander back to the tavern, checking up on the progress of the others, after leaving his pack behind in his hut. He takes a note of where the others are, or who else is remaining. Gesturing at old Ethan to come to one side out of earshot of others, he whispers to him "I swear this spiked drink has addled my mind as well as my stomach, bear with me. The cream was for your bunions, no? Leopard's Bane?" in the hopes that guessing an incorrect ailment would lead Ethan to fill him in more specifically.
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:30 am

Ethan shakes his head no, colour rising in his cheeks slightly. He seems to dither for a moment but then looks up at the face he recognises as the odd but essentially patient and caring Rafe and seems to come to a decision quite quickly, obviously wanting treatment more than wanting to preserve his dignity. He talks quietly, well out of earshot of the others. "No, lad. Nothing wrong with these old feet. But spendin' all me days either sat on a barstool, hauling heavy loads in the heat, or standing over a boiling stew-pot isn't kind on my...behind... And I've only a little bit of that pot o'stuff you made me left. If you'd rustle up another before you went, well, I was thinkin' it'd tide me over til you got back."