Potential: Group One Game Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: Potential: Group One Game Thread

Post by nikohl » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:53 am

► Show Spoiler
Ungar does his best innocent face when Nix looks up at him after mentioning her non-energetic afternoon with the farmhand, then cracks up laughing. "Bah, you can't spill a bit of gossip like that and then backtrack on it. What am I meant to lure folk in here with, if not tasty tales of your island misdeeds with young Tirill?! An old barman needs news to share. Why, a keen ear and a dirty mind's almost as worthy as coin and ale, in my trade." he cackles with good-natured glee, fishing a bottle of brandy out from under the bar and pouring two decent shots before handing one over.

"I know you're not much fussed for the strong stuff, but I got some good news today and I'll not celebrate alone. Besides, I want to hear more about this 'fishing trip' of yours..."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:34 am

Nix clinks her glass into the Ungar's glass.

"Hahaha! Cheers! There's really not a lot to tell to be honest, although I expect half the town is already gossiping about our "romantic afternoon"! Tiril had the afternoon off, so we took a canoe, and went fishing on the wee island out of the bay. Oh - he also tried his hand at egg-stealing which nearly ended horribly, but he saved himself from the terrifying gulls in the nick of time! I managed to catch a decent-sized fish that I traded to the lads on the beach, but that was about it to tell the truth. After the fun of the Festival this morning it was nice just to relax a bit by the shore. And I will admit it - Tiril isn't horrible company! But I didn't do anything a proper lady wouldn't do... I don't think!

Now come on then, I've told you all my gossip from today! What's got you in such a good mood?"

Nix resists the urge to shoot the brandy given the hint from Ungar and instead sips it slowly while he tells her about his day.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:51 am

"Well, you're right, that wasn't very scandalous at all. Still, now I've got the full story and no-one else has, so my position of gossip power is secure! As for me - I got word of my daughter, and it turns out Leonie's headed to the town where she might be living now. So she's going to send word back to me with the caravansmen if she finds her, and maybe we'll be able to keep in touch."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:14 am

"Are you serious? Well that damn good news! Congratulations!"

Nix clinks glasses with Ungar again and takes a healthy swigof her brandy.

"How did you find that out?"

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:59 am

"That bloomin' cat of hers, if you'd believe it. He wouldn't stop worrying at a floorboard, so we lifted it up, and it turned out there was a letter from my Sina that'd fallen down there. No idea how he knew to paw at it, and right when we were talking about her too... Might've spotted the corner and thought it was a toy or a morsel of food, I suppose, but I'm surely glad he did." He beams and takes another good swig of his brandy, obviously still very happy about it all.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:42 am

Posting on behalf of Theis:

Tirill will keep reading his book, especially the last few pages which should be from the local area.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:06 pm

Posting on behalf of asks:

Roule keeps working hard, humming a working tune
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:47 pm

Posting of behalf of a drunk thinks:

"really?the cat found it? That's odd he waited so long to bother with it. But cats do what they feel like on their own terms I suppose so it's probably not surprising. Cats are assholes in my experience. Smart, adorable ass holes. I'm glad this one decided today was the day to help you out."

Nix drains her glass.

"Fancy another? This one's on me. I'll trade you a fish for it! "

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:24 pm

Parke, Roule and Jornen:

The three men carry on building, while Roule hums a tune.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Something about the tune is incredibly distracting.
► Show Spoiler
--

Brooklin:

Brooklin heads back out of the tavern to find a nice clean-ish spot to butcher the badger. He sets up on a nice tidy bit of grass near to the well and starts work.
► Show Spoiler
He makes short work of it, easily cutting loose the skin and then gutting and filleting the meat into nice portions to give to Ungar.

Just as Brooklin is packing up his things ready to take back across the road to the tavern, the unconscious mouse he'd carried along for the ride but unceremoniously plonked down in favour of skinning the badger wakes up, surveys the bloodsoaked scene in front of it, and flees in terror back towards the forest. Unfortunately for the mouse, the forest is quite a long way away, and there's a large patchwork tomcat lazing in the sun nearby. The cat looks up in vague interest as the mouse skitters past, then stands and stretches as if considering whether or not to chase the little grey critter.

--

Nix:
► Show Spoiler
Nix and Ungar have been conversing for a while; when she offers to trade him a fish in return for the next round of drinks, the barkeep grins and pours them each another shot. "Sounds good to me! Not too many though... I've still got work to do this evening!"

--

Theis:

Theis has finished browsing through the book. He could study it in more detail, but he feels like it's all quite familiar [OOC: He already has Knowledge: Flora] and that he would get much greater benefit from taking it out "into the field" as it were, and using it to expand the knowledge he already has. The most recent pages have definitely been filled in in Childarin Cove itself, though, as there are several particularly marine or sea-edge plants detailed; one or two seaweeds, and a page about a tasty edible plant that the locals call Saltwort, and favour as a delicacy.

--

Leonie:

Leonie carries on searching at the shop.
► Show Spoiler
With a little more searching, especially in nooks and crannies, Leonie's turned up a handful more items. There can't be many more places where things are hidden here...
► Show Spoiler
----
► Show Spoiler

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:34 pm

Leonie, not noticing anything TOO overly intriguing, keeps digging around.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:49 pm

"Oops. Oh well." Brooklin shrugs, not really caring about the loss of the mouse. Noticing the kitty, he gets the uneditble badger guts and sets them infromt of the kitty, and slowly moves twoards to pet it. Trying not to startle it with suble body language to show that Brooklin is not a threat.

Yes. i would try to pet cats in real life if close enough to them. And i do try to use body language to show i am not a threat...not that it always helped....

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:56 pm

The cat seems to recognise Brooklin, and also seems to be too lazy to chase the mouse - instead he sticks around for some fuss. He doesn't seem very hungry though, as he sniffs the pile of badger bits but otherwise ignores them. He's happy to be petted, and curls around Brooklin's legs in search of further attention.

The mouse is retreating into the distance to live another day.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:07 pm

Brooklin washes his bloody hands and pets the kitty, gently picking him up, if he wishes.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:18 pm

The cat doesn't object to being picked up, although as soon as he's lifted up he clambers around (with claws and flailing, as cats do) until he is riding on Brooklin's shoulder rather than being held. He meows triumphantly once he's up there, flicking his tail and letting the evening breeze wobble his whiskers. Brooklin is quite a tall man, so the cat is clearly enjoying being The Tallest Cat.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:06 pm

Brooklin grins at his new shoulder cat and decide to very carefully carry the meat back to the bar.
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:46 pm

Back at the bar, Brooklin finds Ungar and Nix chatting over a couple of drinks. Ungar looks up when Brooklin comes in carrying meat (and a cat): "Ah, here he is - the sleuth-cat on his noble steed!"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:00 pm

"Don't worry, the catvery has arrived." Brooklin grins. "Though I am not sure if noble is the word to describe me." Brooklin sets the meat in front of Ungar, scratching the cat now that his hands are free.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:19 pm

Ungar eyeballs the meat, picking up a haunch to get a feel for the weight of it and doing some maths in his head. "Looks like about twelve pounds there. So, six silver, if you're happy with that?"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:44 pm

"Sounds good enough for me." Brooklin takes the money and heads out to Parke with his beaver skin.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:55 am

"Chatty guy, isn't he?" Nix says to Ungar as Brooklin heads back out of the bar.

"You need a hand moving all this meat?"

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:37 am

"Aye, he's never been much for staying indoors. When he's got something to say he's good to talk to, though. Well, I should say, he's good at listening." Ungar accepts help with the meat, planning to get it all into a large pot on the fire to start cooking. He brings the pot over so the two of them can check over the pieces and put them in. "Not really time for dinner yet, but a tough little beastie like a badger will do well for an extra hour in the pot. We can add the veg and all the rest later on."

--

Brooklin remembers the way to Parke's house, but when he arrives, he finds no-one is home (or at least not answering the door). The cat seems happy enough to ride on his shoulder for now, but has taken a keen interest in the chickens in the coop in Parke's garden while Brooklin is standing knocking on the door. He meows loudly at them, leaning down over Brooklin's shoulder and watching them as they cluck and peck around inside their coop.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:15 am

"Aye, some folk just like the company of wild things better than people I suppose. I can understand that. People who thrive crowds and cities don't tend to be the folk who choose a life at sea! They're good for a while, but sooner or later I always end up wondering what's next over the horizon.

Anyway, I've never had badger before I don't think, so you can show me what to do with one! Anything we shouldn't eat?"

Nix will continue making small-talk about badger prep with Ungar while she finishes off her drink. She'll spend the whole turn doing this, hoping to pick up a few cooking skills as she works. (Unless it won't take that long in which case just give me a heads-up and I'll try and come up with something else to do while Nix is waiting for the others to arrive)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:08 am

Brooklin knocks at the door again, but when he gets no answer he heads back to the tavern.

"Errr...do either of you know where Parke is by any chance?"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:54 am

Nix turns to Brooklin, and is about to reply when she realises that she can't remember who Parke is, and has no idea what the barman's name is (though her incredible powers of deduction lead her to assume it's not Parke). Being very aware that she doesn't want to say the wrong thing in front of the bar-guy she opts to stare stupidly at Brooklin in silence instead.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:20 pm

Ungar shrugs. "Not seen him since the festival wound down and everyone went about their business. I'm surprised he's not in, though. He's usually kept pretty busy fixin' stuff, and if not that, then looking after those chookie birds. He might've taken it upon himself to do a little patrol, I guess, not that there's usually much for him to guard against, but you'd see him walking about if he was..."