Children of Ash

Home to all current Forum Games.
Synch
Game Master

Re: Children of Ash

Post by Synch » Sun May 10, 2015 4:49 am

Mr Green

Mr Green bats the shotgun aside with the looter not even pulling the trigger, and plunges his knife forward. At the last minute the stranger turns, taking a glancing blow across the chest which bites deep but but not enough to put him out of action.
The looter slides his hand down the shotgun and weakly swings the butt at Mr Green, but the agent easily overpowers the injured man, grabbing his wrist to avoid the blow and forcing the man's arm to the side before ramming the kitchen knife with force up under the looter's sternum. The looter's mouth opens and shuts wordlessly as his eyes glaze over and his chest stops heaving with breath, and as Mr Green removes his knife and releases his wrist the lifeless man drops to his knees before slumping over into a growing pool of his own blood.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sun May 10, 2015 5:10 pm

Mr. Green quickly picks the shotgun up from the pool of blood before it can become damaged or require extensive cleaning. He places the shotgun on the counter and then takes the machete from the man. He also removes his satchel (assuming he has one) and the machete sheath. Once these have been successfully placed out of reach of the pooling blood, he will search the man as best he can without bloodying his clothing or shoes.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue May 12, 2015 10:19 pm

Update 11: Road to Rolla

Honey, Jimmy
As they make their way to Rolla, Jimmy grabs a bite to eat [Jimmy has eaten today] while Honey picks what wild plants she sees and remembers. She only recognises 1x chicory plant and 1x barnyard grass plant, which she takes.
► Show Spoiler
Afterwards, the two bond over their pragmatic world views and ability to make weapons of death from household objects, and swap a straight razor and pig sticker.

Roslyn, Jani, Jacob, Paul, Joshua, Peter
The others follow after the biker and the prepper, taking their time and having a chat about days gone by.
Jani shows Roslyn what plants she had found so far, albeit weeds only, but explains their respective uses as food or poison, and together they look for any useful plants on the way which Jani dutifully points out, explains and collects. Jani collects 2 each of Chicory, Curled Dock, Barnyard Grass, Common Milkweed and Hemlock, while Roslyn collects 1 each of chicory and hemlock. Jani also finds a small prickly pear cactus, which has three red fruits on one pad. Jani wraps the pad in some linen to avoid getting spiked and breaks it off to bring it with her.
► Show Spoiler

All
Eventually, everyone finds themselves on the abandoned highway, facing the desolate town of Rolla.
► Show Spoiler

Mr Green
After placing the sawn-off shotgun and machete on the counter, Mr Green searches the dead man's possessions. The man was wearing a pair of leather fingerless gloves, a dirty green sweater, cargo pants, old workboots, and a military style duffel bag with straps (like this), which Mr green carefully pulls off the body, avoiding the blood. Inside the duffel bag he finds 3x cans of dog food, a can of spaghetti, a fork, a small pen torch, a velvet bag of gold teeth which have dried blood and some roots on, and appear to have been pulled from someone's mouth forcefully, a rolled up oilskin raincoat, a Zippo lighter, a length of rope, an old weed-eater motor (no petrol tank) and a small snaplock bag. Inside the snaplock bag Mr Green finds various locks of hair; one looks to be a blonde pigtail with a pink ribbon.
► Show Spoiler
The time is 11:45am.

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Synch on Wed May 13, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 7 times in total.
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed May 13, 2015 12:27 am

Honey makes her way to the first-left houSe, since it looks closest. She'll survey it from the outside to see if she can see Green.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 13, 2015 12:59 am

"I'm going to head towards the church. Buildings like that area often important meeting places in small towns like this and it's possible we might find more supplies or information there. Anyone want to come with me?"

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed May 13, 2015 1:33 am

"S'a good idea. Others prob'ly done thunk it too, which is good an' bad both. We should stick together now we'm in a new place - one big group, or at least two groups only - hold up an' I'll come witcha." Honey still peeps through any gap in the boards she can see to make sure she doesn't spot Mr Green with a sprained ankle or something else obvious, then reports what she sees and moves back over to Jani. She carries the stretcher almost like a shield, since it's light but big, but will drop it as soon as it becomes inconvenient - for example if she has to run fast or climb.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Wed May 13, 2015 2:20 am

Peter follows the largest group where ever they go. however if at any point he spots an electrical or hard ware store he'll pipe up and say to Joshua he wants to go there.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed May 13, 2015 4:49 am

"Oh right... Forgot... I gotcha dese." Honey thrusts her handful of weeds at Jani when she arrives back next to her, apparently by way of a very lame and non-verbal apology for unintentionally upsetting the other woman earlier. "Think they'm the same kind you was showin' me."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 13, 2015 6:30 am

Jani grins at the weed bouquet, glad that Honey has abandoned her earlier anger about as quickly as it appeared. It makes life a lot easier when people don't spend hours sulking and she appreciates that.

"Cool! Yeah, that's chicory and barnyard grass all right. I found some more plants on the way up here that you might be interested in, but I'll show you them once we're in a safer spot! Anyway, if we're going to the church, lead on."

Jani will accept the plants and follow Honey to the church. En route, she'll watch out for any movement in the streets, or anything that looks particularly out of the ordinary to her that might suggest trouble. Not that she really knows what trouble looks like, but now seems as good a time as any to start paying attention.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 13, 2015 6:43 am

Jimmy surveys the town, looking and listening for anything out of the ordinary, or of particular interest he can see from his current position. Provided nothing stands out, he'll head to the right, peeking into windows, etc of the two houses on that block before proceeding to the next.

*I know the map says they are boarded up or badly damaged... not sure if that's your way of saying that those houses don't matter and you don't anticipate us entering them, but I'd be interested to know if they are boarded OR badly damaged (or both). Boarded up might mean that they haven't been looted, and Jimmy has a tire iron (I've been assuming it's the L-shaped kind with a 'screwdriver' type end, rather than the 4-way cross?) that could be used to pop boards free potentially to give access to boarded up homes. Again, unless boarded up means that they are not to be looted. :shrug:
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Fri May 15, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed May 13, 2015 6:43 am

Having rooted through the dead man's belongings, Mr. Green drops the items on the counter and does a quick inventory of his collected things. He removes the items from his crude rucksack and begins to place them into the duffel, thinking about the use of each one before deciding to keep it. He packs the following into the Duffel: Lockpicks, Spare Clothes, Bottle of Water, Pickles, 3x dog food, 3x cans of food (2x Spaghetti, Stew), Ballpoint Pen, Calculator, Duct Tape, Toothbrush, Fork, Pen Torch, a velvet bag of gold teeth, a rolled up oilskin raincoat, a Zippo lighter, a length of rope and an old weed-eater motor. Everything else he leaves in a pile on the counter.

Mr. Green moves back to the entrance and disables the trap so that no one else in the group gets a shock. He then searches the store.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed May 13, 2015 7:11 am

Once at the edge of town Roslyn asks all a quick question, before they all somehow going wandering in different directions. "Are we going to to all stick together, or split up? There could be other people here who could be dangerous." Independent of whatever answers she may get, she then states, "We will need a place to meet up if we all get separated. What about the church then for a meeting point? It appears a bunch of us are heading there first, anyhow."

She will stuff her found plants into her rucksack and talk to Jani about there longevity later.

She will then get out her slingshot and put a few of the shot pellets in her front pocket, keeping one out as ammo. She doubts she will be much of a threat with the contraption, but it is better than nothing if they run into some wild animals.

"Yeah, I'll come along to check out the church."

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Thu May 14, 2015 4:28 am

Spotting the PC shop, Joshua turns to Peter.

"Hey, you wanna check out that PC store? Maybe there's still some electronics left."

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu May 14, 2015 6:02 am

Alaen wrote:Spotting the PC shop, Joshua turns to Peter.

"Hey, you wanna check out that PC store? Maybe there's still some electronics left."
When Joshua points out the Pc store Peters face lights up with a grin.

Hell yeah! Lets go see if we can get us some thing to make this radio work."

As they approach the entrance they see Mr Green come out and o something to the trap. Peter watches His tinkering of the simple trap. While Peter hadn't made anything quite like this before the after study Mr Green disabling it, he recognizes it is similar to a simple rodent killer he had made when he was a few years younger.

Once he makes it safe he heads in with an umph of speed expecting to find some useful tool and bitz.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu May 14, 2015 8:31 am

When he Mr. Green sees the kid named Peter & the one called Joshua coming toward the storefront of the PC shop, he waves a hand of warning and caution. "There is a battery trap here, make sure you don't shock yourself" he says in a matter-of-fact tone. Thinking for a bit about the kid reminded him of how young he was and the fact that there was a dead body behind the counter. "Peter, why don't you come here and give me a hand, wouldn't want the kid to get hurt." Once/If Joshua comes closer, he speaks quietly "Ran into a looter who ended up dead, I could use your help to move the body." He nods toward the boy, "I think he's seen enough death for one day"
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Thu May 14, 2015 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu May 14, 2015 8:37 am

ooc: the name are the wrong way round badge ;) Peter is the young boy
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Thu May 14, 2015 11:51 am

As they approached the store they were greeted by Mr. Green. Joshua wondered what he had been up to.
BadgeAddict wrote:"There is a battery trap here, make sure you don't shock yourself"

"A trap? Why would someone trap a PC store? Strange."

BadgeAddict wrote:"Joshua, why don't you come here and give me a hand, wouldn't want the kid to get hurt."

"Yeah, good call."

He turns to Peter.

"Just stay out here for a bit, okay? If there's one trap there might be more, so we need to make sure it's safe first."

As he got closer, Green spoke quietly.

BadgeAddict wrote:"Ran into a looter who ended up dead, I could use your help to move the body." He nods toward the boy, "I think he's seen enough death for one day"

"He ended up dead?! What happened? Did he attack you?"

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu May 14, 2015 12:13 pm

Mr. Green hushes Joshua with a wave of his hand. "Keep it down...he attacked me." Mr. Green merely shrugs, he had killed people for less over the years, one more flame snuffed out seemed like nothing compared to the bonfire of angry souls that clung to his thoughts. He shook his head in an attempt to clear the morbid thoughts from his mind.

*Having disassembled the trap*

After Cleaning the knife on the dead man's ruined shirt he Returned to Joshua and offered the knife to him, "You should probably have something to use to protect both yourself and the kid, I named her Scarlet". Mr. Green gave Joshua a serious smile as he offered the blade.

Turning back into the store he begins to search the main room for anything salvageable.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Fri May 15, 2015 4:42 pm

NotStickFigures wrote:Once at the edge of town Roslyn asks all a quick question, before they all somehow going wandering in different directions. "Are we going to to all stick together, or split up? There could be other people here who could be dangerous."
"Well I'm gonna give her some space."

Jacob stares at the silo. Climbing it would give a good vantage point. However, he's not sure how well he can do with his hand in the shape its in. He's climbed with injuries before but never to his hand. As much as he wants to climb after being contained for so long, he decides against it for the moment.

Instead he'll investigate the house directly west of the PC shop.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Sat May 16, 2015 8:04 am

Alaen wrote: He turns to Peter.

"Just stay out here for a bit, okay? If there's one trap there might be more, so we need to make sure it's safe first."
Waiting for a little longer Peter gives it maybe two minutes before he heads inside to search too. Eager to find some components and tools, and not let the others hog them all.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon May 18, 2015 5:21 am

Paul looks at the grain silo. "Well we should send someone up there to keep an eye out...anyone have something that can make some noise?"
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon May 18, 2015 6:38 am

"Got a drinkin' mug you could bash on the silo, that'd be right loud... Ain't got nothing like a whistle though."

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon May 18, 2015 8:23 am

"Only if the silo is metal and empty...but a lot of these things are reinforced concrete...which would require a tactical nuke to make a sound...They built those things to last back in the thirties..."
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon May 18, 2015 8:48 am

"But it's probably got a metal safety rail leading up to it no? That would make enough noise if you hammered something on it. I'm sure we must be able to find a bit of old pipe lying around."

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon May 18, 2015 10:35 am

"If the plan's to be keepin' a watch all careful an' secret like, it ain't do to be bangin' on pipes anyhow. I figure you wan' go up there to keep eyes on the outside, make sure we down here amn't took by surprise by any new arrivals, maybe like folks in masks, right? Best way I see it's to have a two-man team an' a quiet jingly alarm... Couple cans on a string or summit. Topsider can wiggle the string wid'im foot and stay hid, ain't even need to give away 'is position, an the one below'll hear the li'l clankity clank an' get to sneak off to warn the rest before time's past." She sniffs and shrugs. "Ain't no good if your worry's folk already in this here area, though. They'm hear it easy as anyone else. Only gon' do fer a p'rimeter."