Children of Ash - OOC Discussion Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: Children of Ash - OOC Discussion Thread

Post by nikohl » Fri May 22, 2015 6:11 am

Because she isn't insane. She's insular and she's been raised apart from society by people who have in turn been raised apart from society back through several generations and have some very, very odd (and several downright wrong and or/dangerous) world views. But she is not crazy.

I take umbrage with the use of the world 'crazy' to define someone who isn't mentally ill (and frankly it's not a very nice way to describe someone who IS), just like I don't really agree with words like 'retarded' or 'spastic' to describe people being dumb, or other just...mildly derogatory, wildly inaccurate and generally kind of offensive stuff. *shrug*

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Fri May 22, 2015 2:39 pm

I agree with nikohl, crazy shouldn't be a blanket term for anyone not normal, eccentric or even people with mental health issues. To me crazy means the same as mad or insane: wild, erratic, aggressive behaviour.
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed May 27, 2015 6:05 am

Maybe this was discussed already, and it is merely my rambling thoughts, not an attempt to take over your game :)
*Also not trying to make this game more difficult for you.

What if health (HP) was broken down into 2 categories, (short-term & Long term HP) or, perhaps something that looks more like the Fallout games.
Essentially, in order to provide realism without magic (See SCH), if you get a bruise or a sprain..or even a cut, you could imagine that it may take a few days to heal.
but, if you were to break your leg, you may become *crippled*..which, without being set in a splint, or perhaps a cast or brace set around it, may keep you fairly immobile for several weeks until it heals..

My point in all this is that, while you may be at 1/10 on the short term injury list and be able to heal to full health after 2-3 nights rest. 1/10 on the long term injury list is essentially critical condition and you may die at any point as well as needed many weeks potentially even months to recover.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 27, 2015 6:07 am

While more realistic, taking months to recover game time means decades to recover in RL...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed May 27, 2015 6:12 am

....soo...if you break your leg..Mr. Green will put you out of your misery... >:D

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 27, 2015 6:26 am

I'd rather keep the health stuff somewhat abstract. Spider's estimates are absolutely correct: long-term health catastrophes have the potential to write a player out of the game for significant periods of time.

Some quick maths:
Assuming a 6-week healing time on a basic broken bone and 15-minute turns, you're looking at 4032 turns for that injury to heal "realistically" assuming the best-case scenario, ignoring any post-injury rehab that might be needed. It's 2016 turns if we skip 12 hours of in-game time per day for sleeping.

Assuming 2 updates per week, it would take 2016 or 1008 weeks of RL time to heal completely. That's 38.77 or 19.38 YEARS of RL game time to heal a broken bone. I definitely don't have the patience for that shit.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed May 27, 2015 6:29 am

perhaps...perhaps we can find a medical research facility that created next age medical devices that can heal us quickly...

you're right though..i'm sorry...realism in all things is just not possible...

though, time jumps are possible...especially for travelling long distances..or doing things in one accord (<-- not a Honda)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 27, 2015 6:36 am

For sure, but if you're going to have time-jumps anyway, I don't know if you need long-term health at all. I'm all for simple rules that keep the game fun :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 27, 2015 9:01 am

That's why the Castle has healing moss. :D
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed May 27, 2015 3:53 pm

Its a nice idea, but yeah just a little too hard to implement. I'll try and factor in small bits of realism though, eg Chuck was at -1 to attack because one of his hands was injured, but luckily it didn't get in the way of his snake-bashing.
Who knows, maybe the Center gave you advanced healing factor?

Just remember guys, moving between areas in a city/town doesn't constitute a turn. If it takes you 1-2 minutes to walk from one house to another, then I will allow you to search whatever area you are heading to. So if you've just listed walking to an area, I will have your character automatically search it. Please specify if you do not want to enter a building and search, in case you run into something hostile.
Those of you who have only moved somewhere do have the option of extra activity, but don't feel obliged to have to force more actions into your turn unless you want to.
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu May 28, 2015 8:22 pm

@Thinks, this weekend I'll try and get a map up of what you can see so you have more to build your actions this turn on.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri May 29, 2015 1:15 am

No worries, take your time :)

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:35 am

Thanks everyone for your patience, and sorry for my tardiness. Its been a hectic past two weeks of hospital visits and midwife checks, panic spring cleaning and organising, last minute baby gear shopping, finishing off/ handing over work to colleagues etc.

Once Thinks has mentioned her next movements I'll get an update done soon after. I'm suspecting it will be my last for around a month though, depending on how I am managing.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:00 am

OK, so Jani is essentially deferring her choice of actions to Honey / Rosalyn this turn. Seeing someone in the window will have alarmed her enough to stick with a group, but she's not enough of a fighter or whatever to know how to handle that sort of situation. She'd like to check out the med centre, but only if the others will go with her. Yes I know that sounds rather pathetic, but whatevs. She knows full well she wouldn't win in a solo fight against anyone with even a vague bit of experience.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:30 am

Could always send Green after whoever is lurking about... :)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:44 am

I totally wont kill them this time...Smegal Promises...

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:12 am

Yup, that's a good idea. He'll have to come to Honey & Rosalyn though, because Jani won't be particularly looking for him (she's not seen him since they got into the town).

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:20 am

*Mr. Green would stop and...inquire with the ladies what they found in the church, if they run into each other*

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:59 pm

Yup, Mr Green has gone to the church and chatted with the ladies, so ball's in your court Badge.
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:41 pm

In slightly related news:

http://kotaku.com/watch-the-fallout-4-t ... 1708693039
I'll have to re-play Fallout 3 to get some good ideas about loot and weaponry :)

Just waiting to see if Quarg wants to reply to Badge, otherwise I'll throw up an update tonight.
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:31 am

Ooh, triple post!

Alright guys, new update and sorry it took so long. Chuck, I took a big liberty in that I figured you may want to search a place by yourself, as all three ladies were already going to the house you opted for. If you were intending that to be the plan, then take your turn assuming you were in the corpse house with them, and the other one will remain unsearched for now (bear in mind there may be other stuff in there, other players. Jacob didn't do well with his searching.)

Next update will be.... I don't know. Wife and baby come home tomorrow, so no evenings alone for me and much more obligations. If everyone has posted and I get some down time, I'll post if I can.
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:43 am

I wasn't intending to play my character that antisocial but I am avoiding Honey as our characters are not getting along. I don't think I'd go that far to avoid her though. But I'll roll with it as I'm not really inspired to have another RP fight with nikhol.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:46 am

She's not annoyed enough to insist he be on his own, remember she's a survivalist; she'd probably not want to interact with him but she wouldn't compromise either of their safety just over a fight. If you want him to be there, have him there :)

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:57 am

Oh, I wouldn't let her force me away, but I have a feeling we'd pick up where we left off. My character is at the point where one snide comment would probably set him off laying into her. And Honey is vocal and tactless enough that, there's something he'd take as offensive. And she's not exactly his biggest fan either.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:21 am

Well, no. She thinks he's an insensitive bigot. But she's said her piece, so unless someone brings it up again or he gets in her face she probably won't start anything.

Laying into her would -proooobably- not get him shanked... Yet.