GAL 8: CRUT OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

GAL 8: CRUT OOC

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:31 am

Feel free to use this for ooc matters, either asking questions and clarification from me, or discussing strategy among yourselves.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Re: GAL 8: CRUT OOC

Post by Synch » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:53 am

Ah good, it gets a bit boring miming out strategy all the time :) (I'll explain why Leaves doesn't talk one day!)

I think the sword in log acts like a warning or alarm system, so once we finish off the suckers, we sound it a few times then hide and lie in wait in an ambush.
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:39 pm

Synch wrote:I think the sword in log acts like a warning or alarm system,
I don't know what Wears was so worried about, it's a completely innocent Log-alarm that no group of adventurers could resist triggering... o:) :roll:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:51 pm

I don't trust anything you draw :glare:
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:54 pm

Ah, the previous log was just a log. This one was more than a log. ;)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:58 pm

And the tree was just a tree, except murderous!
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:14 pm

Well all the other trees were innocent, it was just the one that wanted to eat you...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:11 am

Haven't heard from Asks yet, but I will probably update late tonight or tomorrow morning. assume he wants to hit the mosquito in front of him.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:22 am

Nearly done with this batch of mosquitoes! If some of you (especially late initiative order) want to post conditional actions, I'll use them as needed (ie whether or not there are still mosquitoes flying about). At this point they are mostly just nuisances since they can't overcome your innate 1 DEF (flailing and avoiding vs armor protection).
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:09 am

I read Remedy s snide remark on Mines religion to be in character for her wielding an ax that makes her irrationally angry, but if that is the case, a brief ooc acknowledgement of that would have taken some of the sting out of it.

*EDIT: Remedy was there at the shrine, so would be aware of Mines taking on the Dawnstarian faith... although even after the long explanation, she still asked to touch the fragment, so it's not clear how well she paid attention.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:13 pm

Down by the Swamp

Most of the goblins head through the portal, leaving Dies and Forks (?) behind. As they step through the gateway, it shimmers and fades behind them.

On the other side, they find themselves in what looks to be some kind of temple. A voice speaks:

"Welcome travellers, to the shrine of the Dawnstar. Rest a while and be welcome."

-------------------------------------------------
The Temple of Dawnstar

"oooohhhShiney!"
"Indeed."

"Thank you. It's nice to come to a place and be welcomed. You know, instead of being attacked by a swarm of rats or something. Can you tell me where we are? Who or what is Dawnstar? It's nice to rest, and this is a lovely place, but are we waiting for something or someone?"
"We are in a place between worlds here. It is a resting place, safe from outside interference. Mostly. It can only be found at particularly rare times and we can choose who we allow to enter. The Dawnstar is the symbol of our god and we stay here in his honour, though I believe he is probably dead... As for you my friend, I cannot say why you are here. What were you expecting to find?"

"Hi! Your shrine is really nice. What's its purpose? Do you get a lot of travellers through these parts?"
"It's purpose is to be. But no, it has been many long years since anyone has passed this way. I suppose it's our fault for anchoring a celestial gateway in a swamp."

----------------------------------------
In the Temple of Dawnstar

"Actually we came here looking for treasure - do you have something to give us?"
"I was certain we were about to find treasures of some sort. Not an ancient and cultural sort of treasure though.. Do you have any useful treasure or something to drink? It've been a while since I had something to drink because we waited for the portal to open."
"Treasure? I don't- ... This is a temple! A place of peace and rest! We are not here to be looted. And I'm afraid there is no food or drink that would sustain you, we have no need of such things and have not had visitors in a VERY long time. Still, you have nothing to fear! Time passes slowly in this place for mortals. It would take many, many years for you to develop a thirst."
"Is there any food in here? Or things one can do? Or a way back to where we came from?"
"No food I'm afraid, traveller. But you can rest and find peace. When you are ready to return you need only ask and we shall send you."

"Can you tell me more about the Dawnstar? And what makes you think he's dead?"
"Dead is probably the wrong word to describe what happens when gods are broken, but it's the little things really. Mostly, because we watched him torn apart in the Aftermath. The other gods were so angry with them then, it was... awful... They broke him apart and scattered fragments of his... essence I suppose you might call it. There's no mortal word that really describes the stuff that gods are made of, and even we cannot truly comprehend it. The gods tore him apart, smashed his bones to less than dust, and scattered him far and away across all the planes of existence so that he could never rise reform and against them again. He wasn't the only one who suffered that fate of course, there were plenty others like him. But we were weak and small, and no-one cared to remember us so we waited and we searched. In the end, we managed to find a single piece of the god Dawnstar. Just one, tiny fragment of our god, so we brought it here where it would be protected and we have watched over it ever since. It has sustained us long past our natural lifespan, and for that we are grateful and will continue to serve."
"Of course you can't just scatter pieces of dead gods around and expect nothing to come of it. The power contained in those fragments has shaped the fate of more than one world. Monsters, magic, the living dead... None of that would exist if it had not been for the Aftermath. Where such fragments touch the mortal realms, they can be QUITE destructive. The fact that you have found this place at all makes me suspect that you understand what it is to live in such a corrupted world."
"Indeed, sister. The anger of the gods is a terrible thing."

"That's a cool...box thingy...you have there. Is it like a tribute to the Dawnstar? We have tributes at our shrines sometimes. You know, people leave stuff for our God, as a thankyou for... being a God, and stuff."
"That? Oh.. No, that's not an offering... That box contains the only fragment of the Dawnstar we have been able to recover."

"So you said you are waiting, what are you waiting for? Is it the deity that the shrine is dedicated to?"
"After a fashion, I suppose. We watch over our fragment of the Dawnstar and we wait, hoping that one day another fragment may pass within our sight and we may begin to... rebuild."

Forges steps forward to read the sign above the altar. It appears to be a finely-carved marble tablet, but written in a language that he doesn't recognise.

"The stone tells the tale of Dawnstar. We wrote it so that he may be remembered when we have faded."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the Temple of Dawnstar

"So uh.....are you guys hiring?"
"So do you know where other bits of him might be? Because, as you might have noticed from some of our more treasure-oriented members... we're totally rad Adventurers. Finding things and bringing them to other places is sort of what we do. If it's not going to burn my eyes clean out of my head or anything, maybe I could look at the fragment you have - so that I'd recognise another one if I saw it."
"Thank you for your offer, but I suspect it may do exactly that! God shards are... sharp. They have a tendency to cut mortal minds rather deeply. But regardless, there is no trace of the Dawnstar on your world. We would have been drawn to it already if there was."
"Don't be so hasty brother. There is no trace of our Dawnstar, but there is ... something else... Can you not feel it?"
"Another? Yes, now you mention it ... There are many ancient voices in this world of theirs, but they are weak. Fragile. Yet there is one that is familiar to me... Perhaps... It could not be Oena?"
"Yes. The Dreamer sleeps beneath this world."
"So she still lives."
"It would appear so. She would be a great help to us."
"But we cannot leave."
"We cannot. But the mortals can. Perhaps the fates have brought them to aid us?"

"You can give us the god rock and we will take it back to our realm. It might give us special powers. Very good idea"
"No. Such a thing is not possible. This is the Temple of the Dawnstar and this is where he shall remain."
"If you were willing to help us wake the Dreamer though, she would make our search far faster. And I am certain that you would find much in your search that would suit your more mercenary tastes."

"It'd be hard for people to remember when they cant read the language. I'd love to try and translate a copy. So why exactly did the Dawnstar rise up against the other gods in the first place, was that the only reason the other gods tore him asunder coz depending on which gods you're referring to it must have been something pretty terrible for that result."
"It is a long tale mortal, and one which would take many lifetimes to tell in its entirety. You do not have the time to hear it, and we, sadly do not have the time to tell it while our task is incomplete. Perhaps it is enough for now for you to know that in the beginning there were few gods, whose power was absolute. They created and destroyed universes as they liked and none could oppose them. But soon enough they made mortal creatures, and it became apparent that those mortals, who seemed so weak and insignificant had a great power, far stronger than any of the gods could have anticipated. For gods are born from belief and fuelled by that belief. And those insignificant mortals invented their own spirits and gods in an attempt to understand the worlds around them. Those new gods were born of mortal minds, and grew rapidly in power, too quickly for the Old Gods to react. The balance of power shifted so quickly, perhaps a war was inevitable. Feeling their power wane, the Old Gods attempted to destroy the Universes they had made in an attempt to undo their mistakes, but the New Gods were strengthened by fresh belief and fought back. The war raged for countless ages across endless Universes, fought by gods and demi-gods and mortals alike. The New Gods were constantly replenished by mortal belief but the Old Gods were ancient and basic and could not be worn down. The destruction seemed endless, with neither side able to win decisively. Many died and much was destroyed."
"Not everyone wished to win the war however. Some just wanted to see it end, no matter the personal cost and eventually a new alliance of pacifists was formed. They refused to choose a side, and were hated by all! Traitors and cowards they were called, but it was they who ultimately brought an end to the devastation. If the power of the gods was based on the belief of their followers, then the war could never be won. The Gods would be sustained forever because they were everywhere! It was impossible not to believe. So the War-Enders worked quietly, slowly, in secret and began to tease apart the threads binding Gods and Mortals to the same plane of existence."
"In the instant the War-Enders finished their work, the gods were banished from the mortal plane and were cut off from their powers. Within the space of a thousand years, most of the New Gods were dead, and the Old Gods too weak to undo the damage that had been done, at least completely. In some places, some mortals may still feel their influence but it is a rare thing these days."
"Needless to say, the remaining gods turned on the War-Enders with all their fury and destroyed them during the Aftermath. The Dawnstar was one of those destroyed."

"Anyway goblins, we would ask for your assistance in waking the Dreamer. Will you help us? It will be a difficult task, and a long one, but we will assist you when we can."

---------------------------------------------------
The Temple of Dawnstar

"Waking the dreamer seems better than walking away completely empty handed. You should write a paper with the quest details for us to deliver to the adventure guild and we'll be right on it."
"Yeah, we would have to take the Quest home before we officially started it. That's the rules. But I'm happy to take on your quest."
"Excellent! Thank you brave adventurers! We have some preparations to make for now, but we will send a messenger to you soon with your instructions on how to proceed. If the tasks meet with your approval, we would be very grateful for your assistance."

"You say the gods are fueled by belief. You're trying to wake your god. But the gods are in another realm, entirely separate from ours. And your god thought that was a good thing. Are you sure waking him is the right thing? And, if so, are you looking for converts to Dawnstarism?"
"We are trying to rebuild our god, because we do not believe he deserved to die that day. No matter what we achieve with that task, it is unlikely anyone could ever link the realms of gods and mortals to each other again so you should not worry. We do not intend to undo the work he died for. But Oena the Dreamer is not a god. She is... more like us I suppose. Not mortal, but not immortal either. Her assistance in our search for the Dawnstar fragments would speed up our search by millennia!"

"Well then. If you have no more questions, you may return to your homes. We will contact you when we have learned how to find Oena and what you can do to assist us."
"In the meantime, we will leave the gateway open for you so you may come and go from this place as you please. It seems the least we can do."

-----------------------------------------
► Show Spoiler
thinkslogically wrote:
WearsHats wrote:That's why I asked them if they were looking for converts. If the realms are separate, then there's no point to worship, right? Or might there be, somehow? I'd also need to know/figure out/find out what worship would entail, other than relentlessly fighting in the name of peace.
Nerre wrote:"What would those consequences and benefits be?"
"The planes are split, but there are gaps where the grace of the divine may still shine through. Everything is weaker now since the Aftermath. Mortals rarely believe in gods they cannot see and the gods cannot exist without belief. I suspect you see the problem, though we would certainly appreciate the gesture. There are few enough who believe in the living gods now, never mind a broken one."

This seems like an appropriate time to nod towards the philosophical nature of faith in the divine in general. Anyway, I'm not giving you mechanics, but if you choose to follow a deity then that is up to you, and the in-game world will respond as appropriate :) If you would like to be a follower of the Dawnstar, the temple guys should be able to give you some idea of what would be appropriate ways to show your devotion if you haven't got a rough idea already from their stories.

The Temple of Dawnstar

"Yes, faith in intangibles is a difficult thing. But I've met you and I've seen your temple and heard your story. That's enough for me. I don't know that I could or would convert others, but a god willing to risk everything in the name of peace is one I can follow. Tell me how, and I will keep the faith."
"Thank you Mines Flagons, your faith is appreciated. As for keeping the faith... When he existed, the Dawnstar fought to bring light to dark places, and to bring peace and justice to the mortal lands. He was no pacifist, though he did not believe in war or fighting save as a last resort. Teach those lessons in his name and you would be honouring his memory well."
"As for your own actions, anything you can do to help us restore him to life would undoubtedly be beneficial for all of us."
"Indeed. Now, we do not have much, but perhaps you can make use of these."

One of the guards reaches into space and appears to pull a fine cloth robe out of thin air. It looks almost identical to the ones they are wearing themselves only perfectly goblin-sized. He hands it over to Wears. The other guard hands him a brass token in the shape of the rising sun.

"This robe will declare you as a follower of the Dawnstar."
"And this token will grant you a small blessing. It is not much, but I trust you can make use of them."

Wears receives a Dawnstar Robe and Dawnstar Token. He will need to unequip his healing amulet to wear the Dawnstar token.

"Can I touch the piece of the broken god? Or would that be a forbidden act? If we would learn how it looks and feels, we might be able to find another piece much better. I am not sure if I want to follow him while he is still broken, but he seemed to be a good god while he was intact. So maybe we can help in putting him together? We are not bound to stay here like you, and even if our lives are much shorter than yours, wandering around in the world outside instead of just staying here gives us a much greater chance."
"Well since looking at it might have burned my eyes out of my skull I think touching it is probably a bad plan..."
"Oh, must have missed that while meditating."
"Plus they say there is no piece of the dawn star on our world, so even if we do wonder about we still have less luck then them of finding a piece."

"Your companions have it right. Though you can still help us by attempting to wake the Dreamer. Thank you for your offer First-of-All, but we may be some time. Do not worry, we know you well enough now. Our messenger will have no trouble finding you in due course."

----------------------------------------------

Dawnstar Robe: +1 DEF. Bears the symbol of the broken god, Dawnstar.
Dawnstar Token: Has a calming effect. The wearer gains a bonus when attempting to resolve situations peacefully or to calm aggressive enemies.

TL;DR: Ended up in a shrine between worlds, belonging to a fragment of Dawnstar, the broken and 'probably dead' god who sought to end a ageless war between old and new gods, old were powerful in a primal ancient sense, new were abundant and always growing and changing, fueled by mortal belief and faith. Along with other War-Enders, Dawnstar sought to sunder the planes that mortals and gods existed on, to disconnect the battling gods from the source of their power. Eventually succeeded, where they were turned upon by the remaining gods and ripped asunder. Fragments of Dawnstar and his fellows are what brings magic and monsters to the mortal realms. His followers found a fragment of Dawnstar and brought it to this shrine, where they hope to be able to collect more and rebuild him (but don't seek to undo his work in sundering the planes).

No fragment of Dawnstar exists on the world the GAL inhabits, but there is another... not a god, nor a mortal. Oena, the Dreamer. If the GAL can assist in finding and waking the Dreamer, she would be able to aid in their search for other fragments of Dawnstar. They promised to send a messenger with more details. Mines asked how one could keep the faith of Dawnstar, and while they indicated that it likely wouldn't have much effect, they appreciate the offer.

"Thank you Mines Flagons, your faith is appreciated. As for keeping the faith... When he existed, the Dawnstar fought to bring light to dark places, and to bring peace and justice to the mortal lands. He was no pacifist, though he did not believe in war or fighting save as a last resort. Teach those lessons in his name and you would be honouring his memory well."

Still TL;DR: Dawnstar, the Broken God was fragmented following his role in ending a war between gods. Waking the Dreamer located on the world GAL is on would aid his followers in finding those fragments and rebuilding him. Peace and justice, and fighting as a last resort when necessary would be expected of a follower of Dawnstar.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:31 pm

Hey, that reminds me. I've got that bow which is totally relevant to that situation.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:04 am

I have a lot of spider trials to score in the next day or two, so not sure if I'll get an update up or not... or I will because I need to take a break from scoring. However, I only have 1.5 actions posted... Leaves is waiting, and Mines wanted input on whether they are continuing on or if he should heal (if no input, I'm assuming that defaults him to healing).
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:36 am

*facepalm* Thanks for damaging the axe Nerre, well done! Can't even use the sword...
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:06 pm

If anything isn't clear from my description/sketch as far as the clearing and stump goes, let me know and I'll clarify here, or let you know if it's something you need to investigate IC.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:15 pm

Is there anything we can tell about the ring? Is it just smouldering ash, or is it something possibly magical, or what?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:32 pm

I'd probably say that requires a closer inspection. It is not smoldering though, the wisp of smoke seen previously was rising up from the stump itself. It is rather nonescript, other than ringing the entire clearing. Mixed red and grey, not distinct bands or patterns. Picture if you mixed dark red and grey sand together and spread it on the ground, and you'll have an idea what I'm going for here.

As far as circling around, that's gonna be tough going while staying outside the ring, the extra light available to the undergrowth by the clearing has lead to brambles and brush growing up around the clearing (the scribbly bits ;) ), and the band is just inside that. So you'd have to circle around through the underbrush in the woods, with no trail, etc.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:50 pm

Hmm, okay. Guess I'll take a closer look at the ring, then.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:14 am

I'm hoping to update tonight, the part for the main group is already written up as a draft.... kinda waiting on Nerre/Remedy.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:57 pm

Are the mosquito parts placed to act as a stepping stone, or is the distance across the ring still too large?
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:05 pm

Synch wrote:Are the mosquito parts placed to act as a stepping stone, or is the distance across the ring still too large?
Not sure of theis2s reason for not wanting the second one to touch the ground. As for a stepping stone, the care it would take to make sure you stepped just on the mosquitoes would likely negate any distance benefit, vs just a running leap. In other words, a running leap trying to make the last step off an unstable mosquito stack would have a good chance of turning under your foot, missing, etc, so you'd have to go slower, meaning less momentum.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:21 pm

I was kinda expecting something to happen to the mosquito and wanted to see if it happened again even if you don't hit the ground.

But seeing nothing happened, it was kinda futile.. xD
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:41 pm

Sometimes a reddish grey band mysteriously encircling a clearing in the woods where everything seemingly wants to kill you is just a reddish grey band mysteriously encircling a clearing in the woods where everything seemingly wants to kill you. :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:28 pm

Sure, it could be the results of the explosion of a rusted metal sphere which left a perfectly circular ring of powered iron and rust around the remains of a tree of mythic proportion. Or it could be the only thing keeping the giant horrific invisible demon bent on destroying the world safely contained, which would explain why they want to keep adventurers away and have warning if any approached. (Those are, naturally, the only two possibilities.) I don't feel like taking any chances just now.

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:05 pm

Weellll.... I can tell you now, it's either harmless, or deadly. o:) >:D
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler