God School: Revival??

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: God School: Revival??

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:10 am

thanks BadgeAddict :) It's a good idea and it will be possible for people to pick up and run through the old lessons as they go, but a lot of the fun was doing it as a group and seeing what everyone came up with for each lesson. There was some really creative stuff in there that came out that I think we'd miss if people just did it on their own...

M0rt, that's cool :) If you see anything in the lessons that your book knows better about though please feel free to share them! I also dont' mind reworking the lessons - it would be good for me to learn the stuff properly anyway and see what's missing etc. so that's not a problem, it's just a question of time really.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:20 am

oh, Thinks, I'll volunteer to do a workshop on "Populating Your World" as a sequel to my spreadsheets. Because then I can make everyone fill in their spreadsheets. The spreadsheets I can do are tailored to world-building and towards having a lot of NPCs.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:32 am

Coolio :) thanks lin!

Sounds like we're getting somewhere! Also, I've PM'd LSN and ECR so far too to ask if they'd be willing to do a 'case study' type lesson on how they build their games since they're consistently the most popular on the forum (and they're still around, sort of).

Any more suggestions from anyone?

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:04 pm

I pm'ed Moose something. Didn't reply yet, but if he helps in it, it will be pretty useful. :)

I know more of us have applied at the animating stuff, but I can't get to do it, only in weekends, as the daily job takes up my time otherwise. So anyone else having it mind please state so and I'll join in a bit later on with some "extra", but not with a full-fledged tutorial, sorry.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:46 pm

Hey, I got your message L&S. The answer isn't macros but instead mail merges with Word and excel together. I'll be happy to do a tutorial on those as well, but I'll need a better idea of what you need from it first.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:33 pm

SeeAMoose wrote:Hey, I got your message L&S. The answer isn't macros but instead mail merges with Word and excel together. I'll be happy to do a tutorial on those as well, but I'll need a better idea of what you need from it first.
I will post an example here so the others would see it too, It won't spoil anything.

I want to turn this (cropped Excel table):

Into this:

Code: Select all

Character Sheets:
[tabs][tabs:Bada Boom]
[color=#004000]Bada Boom[/color] Level 0, XP: 2.
Inventory: 10 / 10 flags
Hammerspace: 0 coins, no equipment
[tabs:Bouncing Burt]
[color=#BF0080]Bouncing Burt[/color] Level 0, XP: 2.
[tabs:Dies-to-a-Mine]
[color=#3366cc]Dies-to-a-Mine[/color] Level 0, XP: 1.
[tabs:Finds Mines]
[color=#BF00FF]Finds Mines[/color] Level 0, XP: 2.
Inventory: 9 / 10 flags
[tabs:Flags Mines]
Flags Mines Level 0, XP: 3.
Hammerspace: 0 coins, no equipment[/tabs]
[tabs][tabs:Goska Bluey]
[color=#FF0000]Goska Bluey[/color] Level 0, XP: 2.
[tabs:No-Legs]
[color=#990066]No-Legs[/color] Level 0, XP: 1.
[tabs:Oh See That Shiny]
[color=#8040FF]Oh See That Shiny[/color] Level 0, XP: 2.
[tabs:Peg-leg Sue]
[color=#008080]Peg-leg Sue[/color] Level 0, XP: 2.
Hammerspace: 0 coins, no equipment[/tabs]
[tabs][tabs:See Four]
[color=#FF9600]See Four[/color] Level 0, XP: 2.
[tabs:Step-and-Boom]
Step-and-Boom ([color=#FFFF00]yellow[/color]) Level 0, XP: 1.
[tabs:Stumbles around]
[color=#00BFFF]Stumbles around[/color] Level 0, XP: 2.
[tabs:Tries-and-Dies]
[color=#A0A0A0]Tries-and-Dies[/color] Level 0, XP: 2.
Hammerspace: 0 coins, no equipment[/tabs][/quote]
So when I copy-paste it into the forum, when creating an update, the players would see:

And so I don't have to update posts and database twice, only once and could rely on that merging thingy you are saying.

It need not to be complex, a simple 1 cell into 1 data field would work, it costs me nothing to create the appropiate columns in my Excel sheet. I said macros because I remember filling templates with macros, although dont know how it goes in Word/Excel. Sorry if it confused you.

It would go something like this in pseudo code (in my mind):
► Show Spoiler
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:54 pm

I know exactly how to do what you want, and it's very very easy with mail merges. Hell you could even set it up so that it's easy to add extra characters, email me the spreadsheet and I'll set up the doc for you.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.

Arles
Game Master
UStream Username: sir_arles

Post by Arles » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:21 pm

thinkslogically wrote:
In terms of extra things, I for one would be interested to have a guest week on free-drawing for games like Memories (Arles would be cool for that one if he's willing) and maybe something on game design beyond the worldbuilding aspects (i.e. plot / objectives / puzzles etc.).
Yeah, I could do a lesson or two, if you want.
Count me in. 8)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:06 pm

Goddamn it, I edited the last stupid post instead of making a new one. Sigh. Here it is again:

Looking (briefly) at the old lessons, I think a bit of reordering of the GIMP tutorials should make them a bit easier to get started with etc. Still need to go through it, but I'm thinking something approximately like:
  1. Part One: Drawing your game
  2. Thinkslogically: Getting a graphics program; Basic drawing tools; Uploading to the interwebs
  3. Thinkslogically: More advanced drawing tools and image types
  4. Arles: Free-drawing (for a Memories / Escape! type game)
  5. Thinkslogically: Editing other people's images pictures (we have a lot of forum resources, let's use them)
  6. Thinkslogically: The layer tool (building up a scene)
  7. Thinkslogically: The selection tool (moving elements around)
  8. Thinkslogically: Making rooms
  9. Thinkslogically: The path tool
  10. Thinkslogically: Further notes on editing
  11. Thinkslogically: Poses
  12. M0rtimer / LooksandSmiles: Animated gifs
  13. Free day + Q and A period.

Part 2: Building your world
  14. Constructing a plot
  15. Lingrem: Keeping it all organised (Using spreadsheets in your game)
  16. Creating the setting (world building / making interesting puzzles)
  17. Populating your world (NPCs & Monsters)
  18. Arles: Setting the mood
  19. Arles: LOOT! (Item crafting)
  20. (Balancing your stats??)
  21. SeeAMoose: Using BBCode to format your game in-forum.
  22. LoneStarNorth: Case Study of LSN games
  23. EvilCoatRack: Case Study of ECR games
  24. Actually doing it.
  25. Graduation.
--------------------------------

Obviously this is a fair amount of work, and I know that some of you guys have offered to do more than the lessons you've put down for. I've tried to keep it relatively evenly spread so no-one's doing a huge amount more than anyone else, but we could use a couple more lessons being covered (the nameless ones at the mo), so if you think you have the time to do one of those as well then that would be great - just let me know :) Similarly, if you're down for too much (arles?) then let me know that too and I'll cut it down.

I'm otherwise happy to push this on and pick up any lessons that no-one else wants though so we should be grand! Just need a load of time to get it prepared :)
Last edited by thinkslogically on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Thinks - I could do one around populating the world with NPCs (particularly in city type locations). Not so much in setting up their Stats.. just.. in organizing the "who's who". It would link in well with my spreadsheets.

WHich currently has ZERO "stats" on it.

Basically - I can do one on World-Building (Story Aspect) as in, designing the world and the people in it... but NOT stats like NPCs hps or whatnot.
Last edited by lingrem on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:28 pm

If there is intrest, id be happy to make a un on Map making...

► Show Spoiler
Last edited by LAYF on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:30 pm

That would be awesome LayF :)

I could split World Building into 2 parts so the world creation / map making is separate from the monster / puzzle creating if you're ok with doing a small thing on how to invent the world you want to map as well?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Well sure...
You mean, thougts on layous, envoiament, size and all that? or?
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:46 pm

Yeah, just some thoughts on how you might create a whole world basically if you wanted to have a setting larger than a single dungeon (i.e. what form to the landmasses take? Archipelago vs. continents; where do you put mountains / rivers etc.; who lives where and why are their borders where they are?) - that kind of thing.

From what I've read, I don't think it matters if you have the map before the people or vice versa - you use both in the process, just in different ways.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:55 pm

Sure :) That'd be nice to do!

And no, it do not realy matter what order you do it in... i prefear to do the map first and then populate it, but have don it the other way around to...

So, just put me up for that... map first, then populating
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:16 pm

lingrem wrote:Thinks - I could do one around populating the world with NPCs (particularly in city type locations). Not so much in setting up their Stats.. just.. in organizing the "who's who". It would link in well with my spreadsheets.

WHich currently has ZERO "stats" on it.

Basically - I can do one on World-Building (Story Aspect) as in, designing the world and the people in it... but NOT stats like NPCs hps or whatnot.
Nice one, thanks lin :) That's totally fine if you don't want to do the stats - I think making up interesting personalities / relationships is a bloody difficult skill in itself anyway so your input on that would be awesome :D

Arles
Game Master
UStream Username: sir_arles

Post by Arles » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:11 pm

thinkslogically wrote: Similarly, if you're down for too much (arles?) then let me know that too and I'll cut it down.
Those three you've assigned to me seem fine, for now.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:42 pm

Think I could do the Spreadsheet Lesson right after the Story-Building one? It would be easiest for everyone actually if I did it sorta simultaneously...

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:21 pm

The BBCodes have more to do with formatting than organization really, and my lesson is probably going to be more along the lines of "Here's what you have available to you... now make me something pretty" :tongue:

Also, I'll be happy to run a tutorial on advanced spreadsheet and mail-merges and how they might be applied to forum games to speed up making game posts.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:09 am

Moose : No problem. Would you want to do those as separate lessons or combine them into one?
Lin : Also no problem :) I've moved the order around a bit, but it's totally fluid so you guys can go in whatever order you think makes best sense :)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:52 am

Ok, so I'd like to get my lessons (mostly) written up in advance so I don't have to spend so much time on this once we get started (I'm a little short of free time!). Since that's likely to take a bit of time, I figured I'd keep you guys up to date with progress reports! Once I get through updating the original 10 lessons from Ratha we can get started :) If any of the tutors want to see the lessons in advance to help with writing their own ones can email me and I'll send them through.

Progress update (for those interested): Lesson 1 is finished!

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:08 pm

thinkslogically wrote:Ok, so I'd like to get my lessons (mostly) written up in advance so I don't have to spend so much time on this once we get started (I'm a little short of free time!). Since that's likely to take a bit of time, I figured I'd keep you guys up to date with progress reports! Once I get through updating the original 10 lessons from Ratha we can get started :) If any of the tutors want to see the lessons in advance to help with writing their own ones can email me and I'll send them through.

Progress update (for those interested): Lesson 1 is finished!
Are you rewriting Gimp tutorials or settled for Photoshop now? Gimp 2.8 has a slight change to the user interface too, so painting / doing stuff might be a tad different from the previous versions. I'm not sure whether I like it yet, but it has some cool features that really make my life easier, so I'd recommend using that for the lessons' sake.

Also yeah, I'm interested to see how they go along.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:10 pm

I'm going to base it on GIMP with a hat-tip to photoshop where there are more useful tools in there (e.g. background eraser).

Also, even though you can get free PS CS2 now, it's going to become obsolete on newer systems while GIMP will continue to be updated.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:28 pm

thinkslogically wrote:I'm going to base it on GIMP with a hat-tip to photoshop where there are more useful tools in there (e.g. background eraser).

Also, even though you can get free PS CS2 now, it's going to become obsolete on newer systems while GIMP will continue to be updated.
Ah, would you mind sending over the lessons that are already done (in this case, lesson 1)?

WhirdCheese
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by WhirdCheese » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:21 pm

I'll try. I only use paint though.