The Basement Library

Home to all current Forum Games.
Patdragon
Game Master

Re: The Basement Library

Post by Patdragon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:13 pm

Designed to break...hmmm.., for an arrow perhaps it was meant to break off inside people so it's harder to pull out but it is clear this one broke in the middle. the question is why did it break, or more accurately why was it broken here...maybe it had something to do with a symbolism aspect to the summoning, something that represents broken promises.
An idea occurs to him, if indeed one arrow is needed to broken as part of this summoning, It would be two obvious to take and use a fresh one, but what if he broke the already broken one. He ponders this a moment, and as it is not stealing and it is breaking something already broken he decides if it sounds like he has a few minutes to himself, he will attempt a summoning with the seal and break the already broken arrow and try calling out the dark mother as the name. If it doesn't work re scans for any more seals or information he can and then leaves the room as much as it was before he entered.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:09 pm

Although you don't actually speak Elvish, you've managed to pick up the alphabet, and upon studying the carven filligrees you realize that they represent letters. You're eventually able to piece together a title..."green herald". When you attempt the initial summons, you break the tail-half of the arrow, figuring this is safer, and you get a sense of satisfaction from doing so, even as you feel the last remnant of Parmenalya's presence slip away from your mind. But the title "dark mother" doesn't get any results, so with extreme caution not to cut yourself on the arrowhead (you might leave a telltale bloodstain which would alert someone to your presence), you snap the other section of the missile and call out to "the Green Herald".

Almost immediately, a pair of eyes open in the space above the sigil, followed by a smiling set of sickly yellow teeth. Slowly, as though perfectly camoflauged against the backdrop of shadowy bookshelves behind her, a slim female figure shifts into view, revealing the earth-toned clothes of a woodland stalker, then stringy green hair, and finally the wan, sore-cratered skin of her face and hands. While it's a virtual impossibility for any of the Elensetharsai to be ugly, this one makes a sincere effort at it; she appears to have been ravaged by some horrifying disease, one that probably would have killed her long before it would have decayed her once-perfect features into this almost zombie-like state of malady. By her natural coloration, where any of it remains, she was once a member of one of the highborn elf races, but none of them would recognize her now. Wasting little time, she fixes her clear emerald eyes - the one part of her that remains undiminished in beauty - upon you, then speaks in a soft and sibilant whisper.

"It has been some time since I answered the call of one of Telmartrin's arrows. I rather assumed he was dead, but clearly age has not diminished his workmanship. You wish to secure my services, dragon-man? My bowcraft is at your disposal, as is my skill at watching from concealment."
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:24 am

Initially perturbed with his first failure with the arrow and still a little worried two breaks might be more obvious let alone a drop of blood he is happy once the shimmer of a portal forms again and the new visage reveals it self in the form of a diseased elf noble. Like with the queen before it seems a good idea to be respectful but firm, when dealing with these higher "born" views and so he continues.

"Securing your services is indeed my intention fair lady, but first may I ask how long has it been since your last call with a Telmartrin arrow and more importantly is there anything you might require I do or not do once the deal has been made?"

He waits for her answer trying to keep his eyes fixed on her eyes as to not focus on the pockmarks and dishevelment of her appearance.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:52 am

(There was not a drop of blood; I said you were being very careful to AVOID that.)

"How long? I am not sure, exactly; I do not have a clear perception of time during my...visitations, and even less between them. All I require of you is that you not harm any who have the blood of the Elense; I may have fallen from the grace of our Most High, but I am no traitor, and will not work violence against any of His children."
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:40 am

As he was trying to work out if the herald had been summoned within the last few hour from this very room, it appears the answer may be a no, or that this Visage while competent in mind might perceive the passage of differently or not at all.

"I can accept those terms, but one last question if I may do you remember those that have made a deal with you as I am looking for more knowledge and friends who deal with this...art"

(out of curiosity did The queen remember who i was on the second summoning or was it like a complete refresh, and i know there was not a drop of blood, i' was just stating his thoughts on a double broken arrow and his eventual discovery.)
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:44 am

Neither of these vestiges appears to know (or be willing to divulge) anything about when they have or have not been summoned before. Parmenalya seemed to find you familiar the second time you called her, but never said anything that explicitly acknowledged your previous contact, at least in terms of timing.
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:32 am

Squinting in thought, this is something he must check out every time he summons, as it could be a way to leave messages or find or be found by others.

"Actually one other question if I may, What do you know of your current where a bouts and are there any other vestiges there?"
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:08 am

"I cannot answer that."
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:40 pm

"In that case no more questions, let this deal be completed"
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:13 am

The apparition vanishes. You don't feel especially different...maybe a little less "obvious" in your presence, but otherwise there seems to have been little effect.
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:25 am

Taking his time then to clear up any proof of his being in the room other than the arrow, which he tries to join crudely back together at his broken parts, he then scearches for another vestige he can try tomorrow and copies the details if he thinks he has enough time. Exiting the room with his notes he tries to work out exactly what ability he has this time, as far as he can tell it only feels like he is moving a little more cautiously but that could just be his fear of being discovered. This Visage didn't really feel like it offer much at current, but as he was unlikely to meet and elf he'd want to hurt the draw back didn't seem to bad, perhaps with more experience better abilities would come.

Returning to his desk he continues his work for the rest of the acquired time, thinking how to start asking the right questions to Greborsk that will trigger his acceptance that he was deserving of rewards like this. What he needed to do was somehow find something that would break the ice as it were, but what could he do without a direct admittance of entering his room.
He ponders this as he starts copying some text.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:41 am

Not having any obvious source of vestige lore in view, you're forced to make ready to leave with nothing more than you've gained, lest time get away from you and you'd be caught in your trespass. The broken arrow feels comfortably familiar in your hand, and you do in fact manage to fold the snapped upper half back together well enough to fool a cursory glance. Your preparations are just in time, for as you go to leave the room, you hear Greborsk's approaching tread, and before you can even think, you've ducked into the shadow of a shelf and begun to "will" yourself to remain unseen. It seems to work, for your mentor bypasses you without a glance - and then you see him look over the binding circle, nod in satisfaction, and then extract an arrow from the quiver. Kneeling to touch the circle with one hand, he snaps the arrow neatly at the midpoint with the other hand - you were right, they ARE designed to break in the middle - and calls out to "Arawas'tehwi, the Green Herald". Though you don't see anything appear within the circle, you hear the old magus make a series of demands and offers, as if negotiating a rather sophisticated contract, and he seemingly is satisfied with the results, for a moment later he drops the broken arrow in the trash can next to its twin, picks up the rug and dumps its load of salt into the bin as well, and then rolls the rug up and stashes it on top of one of the shelves. Realizing with worry that he doesn't know you're in here and might well lock the door behind him when he leaves, you decide to take advantage of his preoccupation and slip out, hastily getting back to the part of the library that you're actually supposed to be in.

A few minutes later, you hear the click of the door shutting some distance off, and the master strolls into view, greeting you cheerfully and giving no sign of concern. He informs you that he's got an errand to run which will take all day, and that he trusts you can preoccupy yourself usefully for the rest of the day.
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:18 am

OOC: Just read up a little on this visage again...lucky we both made a good pact or we may have looked a bit off to each other.
I've got two ideas of things to do here, one seems out of character though but might be more interesting but the other seems too boring, so i'm trying to come up with a middle idea. I could try and follow Greborsk using the new stealthy feeling but as it is not that high and he has the same thing i'd most likely loose him quickly anyway. The other is more research and/or breaking into his office (which i don't think I can do easily), but just researching isn't to interesting to write about (though your write up are full of good detail). As such I'm thinking he will work a bit to be useful, then maybe leave the library and go shopping with his cash from the demolition job. I believe you said the area is high in antiquities so perhaps I can find an old object of interest.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:23 am

► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:40 am

Still here but kind of lost a little interest, hence why i didn't post to inquire what was up with the game (i know other game has started and you have a real life one). Play by post games always seem to die on me anyway due to GM or players disappearing or losing interest.
So I will say lets continue for now and see where it goes, but can I get at least two posts a week to keep it flowing, even if its a short one. Its just goes a bit to slowly otherwise on pbp, especially as i'm still not even an "adventurer" yet.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:26 pm

► Show Spoiler
Eventually you come to the conclusion that it's time to get out of the library and see what your new gifts, whether monetary or mystical, can bring to enlighten - or at least amuse - you. At the exact moment you're leaving the library, though, one of the other trustees is entering it, and plows bodily into you with enough force to knock you to the ground. This is a very odd individual whose name you have heard given as "Khlyst'k", who goes about wrapped in a grey-and-black burnoose which covers him-or-her (you have no idea which, and dominant cultural mores suggest it is quite impolite to ask, though you don't know whether he-or-she comes from such a culture) from head to foot; this latest encounter gives you more information about him/her than you've ever previously gleaned, namely the fact that s/he is tremendously muscular and has a torso comparable in hardness to a brick wall. You also get to hear his/her voice for the first time, and note that it is extremely strange-sounding, as though tremendously loud originally but muffled by far more than the cloth covering his/her face.

"Ah; my apologies, young human; I fear that I did not see you there, and am greatly shamed by my carelessness. I believe Master Greborsk has introduced you as his 'apprentice', or perhaps it was 'assistant'; I regret that if he mentioned your name, I have forgotten it. I trust you are uninjured?"
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:01 am

Staring up from his prone position at the robed figure, his thoughts go between flustered and embarrassed as he tries to get his wits about him.
As the person speaks he begins to realize who it is and the little information he has on them. As he picks himself up from the floor and brushes himself off he answer the last question first.

"I appear to be fine, thank you... Khlyst'k and please think nothing of it as it was also my fault as my mind was looking inward and not on my surroundings."

Standing up straight and rubbing a small sore patch on his arm a thought pops into his head, he called me human, and humans don't go around calling each other by race, that at least means he is of a different species, and with the feel of the impact possibly with some Terran heritage.

"I've not seen you here for a little while, you must have been busy of recent, you have however timed it badly if you with to talk to master Greborsk as he will be away all day on business. If there is anything I can help with before I go please let me assist for my part in the collision, and i'm sure if my name was mentioned It would have been master Greborsk cursing, my name is Isaac"

He smiles at the last part trying to indicate the master/ apprentice relationship causes frustration to bother parties, Normally he could judge how this play on words works from the facial expression, but this time as he looks he can't make out anything behind the cloth.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:40 pm

Patdragon wrote:"I appear to be fine, thank you... Khlyst'k and please think nothing of it as it was also my fault as my mind was looking inward and not on my surroundings."
"Always an excellent way to preoccupy oneself, even during mobility. It gratifies me that you are unharmed, and in adequately good spirits; I certainly did not mean to interrupt your introspection." The strange...person?...speaks in long and rather stilted verbiage, but certainly seems to be making a healthy attempt at exquisite politeness.
"I've not seen you here for a little while, you must have been busy of recent, you have however timed it badly if you with to talk to master Greborsk as he will be away all day on business. If there is anything I can help with before I go please let me assist for my part in the collision, and i'm sure if my name was mentioned It would have been master Greborsk cursing, my name is Isaac"
"My pleasure to make your acquaintance, I-zak," the figure intones, slightly garbling the pronunciation of your name - presumably s/he has practiced other Common words extensively but is having trouble with an unfamiliar anthroponym. "I was not in truth seeking Master Greborsk himself, but simply wished to make use of his research materials on a topic of some interest; this is a not-uncommon situation and he has made it clear that I am welcome to consult his general library at any time. On occasion he permits me to access his private collection as well, but never without his presence, and I have no need of that today."
► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:40 am

So this one has been in the private office with Greborsk, perhaps he knows of this binding practice, but how to get some information without appearing too unknowing. hmm..

"Well i hope you manage to find out more information on your .. topic. I've had a little success with my own research projects and have so much more to learn but I've been wondering when Greborsk will finally allow me access his private collection or at least tell me what was there, I feel like the time is close to it now."

Pausing for a moment thinking and boasting up his courage Isaac mentions
" If you don't mind may I ask a slightly odd Question... What action did you take to be allowed access to the private collection? I feel I need to one last thing to prove myself, but am unsure how to proceed."
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:13 am

(Busy this week, it may be hard to get a post up until Saturday, I do apologize.)
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:26 am

guess a bit of a break then as i'm off on a small holiday on 14th until 20th and wont know what the internet is like.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:38 pm

(Okay, we'll reconvene sometime next week then.)
My long-neglected blog.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:50 pm

(It's the 20th. Hopefully if you're not back yet, you at least will be soon. Since I'll be too busy to post tomorrow, and I want to make serious progress in the next month before possibly losing the ability to continue, I will attempt to move us along.)
Patdragon wrote:I feel like the time is close to it now."
"I believe you may be right there, I-Zak. The Great Spirits willing, of course." That's a curious turn of phrase, there...usually, individuals with any sort of religious bent will go to great length to provide the particular names, honorifics, and various praiseworthy attributes of whatever specific deities hold their devotion. Animistic worship of vaguely defined "unseen beings" is rare, given that the benefits of more formally ecclesiastical service are immediate and tangible. It would make as little sense as - well, as toiling in the service of a master who pays you nothing, and expects you to somehow intuit his demands of you when he can't be bothered to come right out and say them. Not that you would know anything about that, of course....
Pausing for a moment thinking and boasting up his courage Isaac mentions "If you don't mind may I ask a slightly odd Question... What action did you take to be allowed access to the private collection? I feel I need to one last thing to prove myself, but am unsure how to proceed."
"Hm. Thus that I do not misconstrue what you have seemingly implied, permit me to request this clarification - did you intend to suggest that you would be willing to render me some slight service, in exchange for the possibility that I can assist you in achieving access to your tutor's most closely guarded resources? I apologize if I have taken your meaning incorrectly."
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:36 pm

"Sorry if i misspoke, what I merely inquired was how did you gain Greborsks trust to allow you access to he library. Did you come up with some valuable information, did you do something that gained his trust or did you merely bond by having a drink together on a personal level."

Thinking for a moment on his words a little more he continues.

"If you do want some minor service done for the information I can see that being a fair trade, but what i'm suggesting is to gain more of his trust and then in turn gaining assess."
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:43 am

► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.