The Basement Library

Home to all current Forum Games.
Patdragon
Game Master

Re: The Basement Library

Post by Patdragon » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:20 am

Shrinking back at the sound of the roar, he is quite concerned someone is definitely going to have heard that and come and investigate. He is certainly at a mixture of fear and awe at this women, so with the idea diplomacy is better that intimation at this point he does not simple say what he is thinking which is yes he did just summon her at his convenience.

"Of course not your Majesty, but neither am I your servant and I do not swear fealty to just anybody even if they are royalty. I do how ever honor contracts and peoples word, So if you which to stay in this world longer it will be under the understanding that I am not your vassal but more like a foreign dignity from another county or another race which indeed I am, where we show each other respect."

He then hold out his left hand as if to shake on a deal (or be branded A.K.A signed).
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:27 pm

Still frowning, but with more of a grim-satisfaction twist in place of the outright disapproval, Queen Avarice replies, "We accept thy proposition." She stabs forward with the branding iron, which passes entirely through your hand; only then do you feel a sharp burn, seeming to travel out through your flesh, at exactly the speed with which the image of the three-headed queen fades from view.

When the vestige is entirely gone from your sight - though not from your sense of presence, and the faint smell of hot metal and frankincense that accompanied her is now stronger than ever in your nostrils - you look down at your hand, where you see that a pentagrammic icon is burned into your flesh, covering your entire palm. You feel mostly like yourself, although your acquisitive bent (always noticeable, perhaps due to your draconic ancestry) is more pronounced than ever, and feels that it would be at least shallowly satisfied by more crass indulgences than you would normally settle for. Looking around at Greborsk's private sanctum, you find yourself suddenly realizing how fragile everything is - you've always known that some of the ancient books might crumble at a careless touch, but even the sturdy-looking oak benches and tables are riddled with tiny cracks, that you now seem able to feel like an itch outside your skin. You believe that you could crack the floor tiles with a vicious kick, or scratch the mortar out of the walls with your pronounced fingernails, disassembling the entire building brick by brick - if you so chose.

You have no compulsion to do these things; you simply perceive them as possible. But you do have a powerful desire to gain wealth, or at least to avoid losing it. Just the thought of having to spend money, at least more than the barest minimum possible - let alone to part with some priceless treasure of knowledge (such as the secrets stored in these forbidden books you're not supposed to be reading) - makes the brand on your hand sizzle as if just now being scorched into the flesh.
► Show Spoiler
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:20 pm

His senses almost seemed heightened by the binding, the burn on his hand tingles and itches like its alive, the books around him look look clearer, the letters sharper but also more cracked and aging, the lingering sound of a lions roar still rings in his ears and the smell of his flesh is brimstone-y and almost in his mind has a delicious flavour that he quickly subdues.

That had not gone quite as expected and he had better clear up quickly, so no one else would gain access to this wealth of knowledge. Trying to leave everything back the way it was. he goes and retrieves a piece of paper and ink from another room and rushes back and quickly makes a copy of as many seals as he can from the book. Say until 1 hour before Greborsks expected arrival. Tucking into his boot, he decides there is one last thing to do, and that is hide the brand. Luckily he went and had his gloves fixed yesterday so he could cover it easily.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:20 am

► Show Spoiler
As innocent as the proverbial cat which ate the equally hypothetical canary, you greet Greborsk as soon as he comes in in the morning, having long since restored his study to the condition you found it in. (I assume you put both the real and ersatz binding books back exactly as they were?)

As several hours worth of the morning wear on, no evidence that your deeds were found out present themselves. You begin to feel a bit "stir crazy", having all this power and nothing to do with it; you feel sure that a sheet of paper would just about turn to power with an act of will from you, and while you are in no way compelled to use this ability, you are certainly tempted; there's the old saying about having a hammer and seeing nails everywhere. Your assignments for the morning were broad and unspecific, but there was no hint of you actually being free to take off as you did yesterday; as far as you know, the Master plans to keep you cooped up all morning, doing his pointless busy work and squandering your first opportunity to unleash this new power you've learned. Granted you could just wait for another day before binding the Queen again - now that you know how, it should be an easy enough matter, especially if you set up a semi-permanent circle in your own quarters, perhaps hidden under a rug or something. But there's so much more for you to learn; it seems a great shame to let Master Greborsk's unspoken and vague orders stand in the way of really diving into such an exciting discovery.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:32 am

► Show Spoiler
With the effort rising not to use what ever power was welling up inside him his writing task was just more and more scratchy but occasional mistakes were popping up, but within except able boundaries, that was until in a moment of tense anger at making a rather large blot on the page and shaking his fist he inadvertently knocked the whole ink pot over his work. Having lost his last hours work his temper breaks and so does the quill he was holding, oddly breaking the quill in his clawed hand makes him feel a little better as if a small weight were lifted. Settling down to clean up the mess, He picks the ink pot back up and holding it tighter than he normally would it also shatters in his hands, showering him, his clothes and the table in ink.
Letting loose a particular draconic curse he has just learnt, and throwing up his arms, he heads to the cleaning cupboard for materials to clean up the mess. Arriving at the cupboard he grabs the brush and buckets but again with his temper and haste he knocks the mop which quite efficiently decides to fall and hit him directly between the eyes. Mumbling another curse, kicks the mop back into place where his hands are full and it settles into the corner. Feeling a little better at his defeat over the mop, he head back to the desk and cleans up the mess, before heading to a wash room to clean up himself. As seems to be the way of it, when he heads to the wash room the door is stuck as it always has been, but this time instead of using the technique he had developed, he just pushes harder and slices through the door handle with his claws before again kicking it open. Each little act of destruction makes him feel a little better but he is beginning to feel perhaps this binding has left him a little cursed.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:03 am

The commotion brings Greborsk out of whatever he's doing, and he gets out about the first sixth of an "Augh!" (counting the exclamation point) before managing to contain his reaction (by his standards, this was quite the outburst). Immediately recovering his composure, he takes in the situation at a glance and immediately says, "Okay, I can see this is one of THOSE kinds of days...please, GO; I will take care of this mess, and I will see you tomorrow, when we shall never speak of this again." From your experience with the Master's moods, the matter is not open for discussion; you're not in trouble, as he accepts that things "just happen" sometimes, but you are very firmly dismissed so as to avoid making matters any worse. Which means you get exactly what you wanted, the chance to go try out this power in some more appropriate circumstance.
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:02 am

Hmm... maybe is wasn't cursed but was having a form of kismet, a little bad luck has turned out for what he wanted, but the question is now where to go. First thing first tho was to head back to his cheap ass apartment located above a butchers to wash, change and drop of his copied notes, the ink would come out in a few days but it needed scrubbing now or it'd last weeks in his scales. It would give him time to think where he could in fact go to test what ability or abilities he had gained. It seemed he was breaking things easier, perhaps he was stronger; He could test that at home by lifting something, but if it wasn't maybe it was slightly more to do with luck or maybe something more more akin too seeing things decay quicker in his hands.
He had to test this out somewhere. Where would be quiet this time of day? His room would do for initial basic test but perhaps a jaunt to the outskirts for more thorougher experiments. He would nap a bite from the butcher downstairs on his way out if he did, unless he can thing of a better place to go.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:52 pm

You are on your way home when you pass the Starling Mansion, an old and reputedly haunted manor house which has been either a historical treasure of this venerable city of Byruut, or an eyesore blighting the landscape and symbolizing the town's stubborn refusal to modernize with the rest of the Empire. Apparently, the matter has somewow been decided; the crumbling hulk has been half torn-down, with ragged scaffolding sticking out of the collapsed side and casting skeletal shadows across the small mountain of broken masonry below. As you start to walk past, a man in the tan coveralls and trademark orange apron of a master carpenter, bricklayer, or similar such artisan comes out through the wide-gaping front door, dropping a sledgehammer against the wall and wiping sweat from his brow with the back of a meaty, thickly furred arm. He's starting to sit down on the front steps when his eyes apparently fall on you (you're probably the first person to walk by in hours, as this section of town is never heavily trafficked, in large part because of the ill-starred manse which dominates the entire neighborhood). Immediately righting himself, he starts walking toward you while calling out. "Hey! Hey buddy! Hey, you look like you have time on your hands, how'd you like to make 50 GP this afternoon?"

(For reference, 50 GP is an amount of money that highly skilled laborers have trouble earning in a week, and the average peasant farmer or worker may not see in an entire year. Being an urbane scholar, you've had access to reasonably decent numbers of gold pieces upon occasion, but the cost of living depletes such stashes as quickly as they can accumulate; if you gathered your entire worldly effects together, stuck them in a sack and took off to wander the world's roads, you'd be lucky if the total amounted to twice what you were just offered for one day. There's probably a catch, but in spite of your sartorial distress, you'd be kind of crazy not to at least hear him out.)
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:31 pm

That's a lot of money he thinks to himself and he'd be a fool no to inquire further
"50gp? What's it you want me to do, ?"

he hears the man out, if its something like he fears a particular haunted area and i can do the job i say

"Well I'm not too bothered about ghosts but if you want me to do that and risk being haunted and you were so willing to offer 50 off the bat, I want 60 GP instead to do want you want."

he thinks that's not what he normally would have said but perhaps the power within him is changing him some.

(playing up the greedy binding)"
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:26 am

"Name's Mason Kraft," the man says, offering his right hand to shake. (If you don't take it, he'll look a little puzzled but drop the hand without further comment.) "I run what used to be the best construction and demolitions firm in town, and last month I took a contract with the burgomeister to tear down this old ruin and clear off the lot so it can be resold. No sooner do I get a crew out here than half the superstitious fools quit on me, and since then they've kept running off every time they see a black bird or a creepy-looking old doll; I'm down to just four guys, and they're the best I've ever had on the payroll, but the deadline's today and even they can't do all this in twelve hours. If there are two bricks of this edifice touching by sundown, I'm out eighteen thousand crowns, and I spent all of yesterday in court settling my debts - the damnfool judge said I had to pay those worthless cowards who walked off the job I hired them for! I have to finish this job TODAY or I'm ruined. Sixty? You pull this off for me and I'll make it a hundred, but we gotta get moving."
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:55 pm

He looks to the job at hand,and if he thinks it possible he will jump at the chance for 100gp. shakes the hand of the mason and says deal.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:13 pm

► Show Spoiler
You are brought into the house, handed some basic tools (including Mason's sledgehammer; he figures he'll save time not having to show you where to find more), and set to work. The insight granted to you by the Queen proves useful immediately, as you swing the heavy mallet against a wooden wall; your first smash merely cracks the wood, and this repeats several times, but it's only a matter of time. At last, you manage to score a solid enough hit to put the hammer clean through the thick wooden panel, and deal even more damage pulling it back out; before long the entire ten-foot stretch of wood is nothing but splinters at your feet.

(That didn't go as well as I hoped; not having specific rules for a sledgehammer, I treated it as a greatclub, and the rules on Aym don't specify whether your damage to objects is doubled before or after subtracting their hardness. Based on several other precedents, "before" seems more likely, but even this doesn't do a lot of good given how high the Hardness of materials is. Your first two blows dealt 11 damage each, the third 9, and the fourth only 7, totaling 38, and the wall had 60 hit points. If you'd managed to roll the max of 10 on a damage roll, as I fiatted you eventually did, you'd deal 21 damage - still only a third of the HP of a 10-foot square of wood, and 1 short of destroying it after those earlier rolls. Still, we can fiat the job gets done in little enough time; you could essentially have "taken 10" on the task, if the roll had been d20-based.)

It's taken you most of a minute, but you've managed to destroy an entire wooden wall. Now, you face a much tougher challenge - one made of smooth stones glued together with mortar and covered over with plaster. This time, your first blow is so weak it doesn't even make a mark! But the second strikes true, knocking several bricks clean out of the surface, and this encourages you to build up a good rhythm which quickly smashes the entire barrier.

(I gave you a maximized roll before, so this time I started you off with a minimized one. With a hardness of 8 now, you're actually capable of "whiffing" even with doubled damage; if you had a +4 STRmod you'd be capable of chipping the stone every single time, but as it is, 10% of your blows bounce off. Combine that with the higher HP, and accomplishing the inevitable takes much, much longer this time. The first successful hit dealt 16 damage, almost a fifth of the wall's HP, and so we can extrapolate that with another 10% of the hits doing this well or slightly better, it'll take something like eight rounds for you to destroy the wall completely.)

You've been on the job for something like five minutes by now, and an entire room has been demolished, leaving only the floor. You're about to start on that when Kraft comes back, accompanied by a dwarf dressed similarly to himself and carrying a huge pair of what look like furnace tongs. The foreman whistles as he sees what you've gotten accomplished already. "Whew, you don't mess around, do you? I'd have expected this to take a good quarter-hour at least; we might stand a chance of success after all! Thought I'd take a moment, though, to introduce my right-hand man on this job, Tarl Caberthot. You should run into all the others around the site sooner or later, but I figured I should take special pains to make sure Tarl knew who you were, so that there wasn't any misunderstanding." "He means so I didn't clock you upside the skull for getting underfoot, if I thought you were just some local hooligan picking through the rubble we've made. But I can see now that you're a professional at this, or at least someone with talent. No doubt you heard how badly we need the help, so I wanna thank you for lending a hand, and an evidently skilled eye at that."

"We have been given his name! Pay him, fool!" a familiar voice hisses in the back of your mind. You are overwhelmed by a sense that a dwarf's name is some sort of priceless commodity that is never to be traded without recompense, which you have never heard from any other source, but apparently the vestige formerly known as Parmelanya believes it with almost feverish intensity (perhaps losing her own name has made her sensitive about the names of others, or maybe it's just another facet of the madness which ended her life and then some). The partially-vocalized impulse is quick to fade, leaving you apparently free to ignore it....
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:28 pm

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:50 pm

"PAY HIM!!" the impulse repeats, stronger this time. Whatever Tarl says at the same time, you miss it.
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:07 am

Quite literally thinking i am not your vassal so be quiet to his inner mind trying to work out what Tarl said from his look then he nods as if agreeing with Tarl and goes on to say.

"Seems odd that so many would skip out on this job, the pays good enough that even if there are a few spooks unless there dangerous it should be easy money right."
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:22 pm

► Show Spoiler
"I warn you, there are consequences for disobedience! I ask very little in exchange for my allegiance, but on this point, I do not negotiate! PAY! HIM!"
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:25 am

Once more he tries to ignore the voice, he has made his decision this time and will suffer whatever consequences come. He will show this new part of himself he is not to be forced to do anything he doesn't want to. On the other side of things he spent his last copper on breakfast and the rest is in his residence so even if he did want to give the dwarf something he couldn't. One of the reasons he took this job in the first place.

"So shall we be on with it guys, unless you want to go somewhere else i'll finish up on the floor here and then work my way round. On the off chance I see a ghost i'll give you guys a shout... get it?" Trying to make a joke out of the situation in case he does hear what they say again.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:27 pm

► Show Spoiler
You will the displeasure of the Queen into the back of your mind, but for the rest of the day you feel slightly unwell - a little shakier, a little slow to react and a little awkward when doing so. Your hammer swings strike the stone with undiminished force, but the dust you raise makes you cough furiously several times, and you have to stop to rest more often than you'd expected. Even so, your remarkable ability to spot faults in the structure continues to serve you well throughout the day, and the structure continues to crumble before your assault, one stretch after another.

You eventually meet the other three employees on Mason's staff - a dark-skinned gnome, slight even for his species, whose name is given only as Stormholdt; a rather portly half-orc by the name of Garth Urqhart; and by far the most memorable individual, an eight-foot-tall colossus with skin of a blue so dark as to be almost black, who is referred to simply as "the big guy". Over the course of the day, all of you working together get the vast majority of the structure torn down, until all that is left is a section with several reinforced walls, which Kraft says are going to require the entire group working together to demolish.

You've got only an hour left, and it's still a pretty big area; the pressure is on, but you've demonstrated your expertise quite well, so the five other men (counting Mason and Tarl) are quite impressed with you. The job looked impossible at the start of the day; even if you do in fact fail, it won't be by much (though with the way Mason's contract works, that will be small comfort).
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:44 pm

► Show Spoiler
Having greeted the other workers in a friendly manner and with the final part of the section coming up. He smiles to himself,What ever the queen had done to him didn't seem too bad and compared to the others he was coughing about the same form the dust and he was new at this so anything else could be passed off as inexperience. He chatters while he works trying to work out what the blue guys is, the first thing that jumps to mind is an orge type, but ogres aren't blue/black from what he knows.
The gnome was a small shock for initially a shock to see, thinking what he gonna hit and destroy, the furniture, but then the realization settled in there were a few large bangs earlier and it turn out it was indeed Stormholdt that caused them, somehow.
He gets into various talks with each ranging from, he's an academic normally to what scared off the others with the haunting as there didn't seem to be any issues to finally the fact if the contract is not finished on time who is going to know? he didn't see anyone watching them.

When approaching the final section he puts in that final extra effort to get the job done as he wants his hard earned money now they are so close. He hits where he is told as the other have the experience and he is merely the tool in this exercise.

If they are finally complete in time he suggests they should all go to celebrate later.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:18 pm

It soon becomes clear that Stormholdt is a more intellectual and skilled worker, leaving the heavy lifting up to "the big guy"; his specialty seems to be in the placing of small alchemical explosive charges, which take about a half-hour to rig properly, but then quickly destroy several rooms at once, leaving the rubble stacked fairly neatly so that it can be easily shoveled into a wheelbarrow (or just picked up by "the big guy" and stuffed into a tough leather sack he carries for the purpose). Garth's main job is to push the wheelbarrow in question; if anyone on the team might not be pulling their proverbial weight, it would be him rather than the gnome, though of course you know far too little about the workings of the operation to make such a judgment as yet.

The crew hammers away at the walls of the final section, and has managed to tear away two sides of a particular "room", leaving it necessary to cross the room to the other side. Mason, Tarl and "the big guy" head over to the left side of the room, while Garth leads you to the other; Stormholdt is setting up some of his charges in the adjacent room, whose walls are reinforced masonry and beyond even your abilities to demolish by hand. As the fat half-orc steps upon a certain floorboard, it and those adjacent to it abruptly give way!

(Give me a DC 15 Reflex save, using only your Dexterity modifier of +2. We're treating you as having essentially half a class level, so if you had a class that gets good reflex saves, I'd allow you to add +1 to this roll; Binders, however, are among those classes whose contemplative nature gives them poor reaction times.)
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:46 pm

Big fail there, I guess the slow reactions from the queen would also give me a neg 1 1d20+2=5
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:28 am

The fall knocks you unconscious; you awaken several minutes later, finding that Garth has shrugged off his own injuries in order to apply a splint to your disjointed leg and get you back on his feet. "The big guy" reaches down to pick you up, while Garth first lifts you onto his shoulders and then hangs onto your leg as you're hoisted out.

"Alright guys, I'm glad you're okay, but we gotta get back to work. It's gonna come right down to the wire; I wouldn't put it past the client to put an Arcane Eye on us just so he can catch us dismantling the last piece of brickwork at a minute past the deadline. Let's go!"
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:13 am

As he gets pulled up and Garth holds onto his leg the pain of it being disjointed a little kicks in and i force him to shift his weight over to the other leg.

"Gotta be more careful where we step, luckily nothing fell on top of us, huh Garth"

Hobbling a bit and testing out his leg to see how or if he can finish the job with a splint, He goes for the bits he can that don't require him to move much and helps destroys those, Perhaps breaking things up for wheel barrow size.

"Lets get this done!"
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:18 pm

Your can-do spirit gives the gang the last push of impetus they need; attacking the remaining woodwork and bricks with a vengeance, they and you get the demolition finished completely, with a good 30 seconds to spare. When he realizes what has transpired, Mason lets out a triumphant whoop. "Yearh! Lookitdat! Stimpson if you're watching this, take a big long look and suck on it! Bub, you're a lifesaver, and I really mean that, you've saved my business for reals." He pulls out a well-concealed purse and fishes a handful of coins out without looking at them. You find the payment to consist of ten gold "crowns" and five platinum "tiaras"; you've seen the latter rarely enough that you can't be certain you're genuine, but scuttlebutt holds that the Empire's currency is virtually proof against counterfieting, and that the handful of crooks who've managed the task are persecuted zealously by the Imperial Currency Enforcement Division. "Here's your sixty, and I've got that much more back at the office with your name on it - but first, drinks for everyone on me!" He empties the rest of the pouch - a rather tragic little collection of silver "helms" and copper "caps" with only two remaining GP among it (whose appearance seems almost to surprise the architect) - into his palm, and joins the rest of his crew in merrily urging you on to some local establishment.

(Let me know exactly how drunk you're willing to get in the course of this celebration. Wherever Mason's cash flow fails him, Tarl and Garth will chip in to ensure that the quality booze, sans superfluous water content, comes as fast and as thick as everyone involved wants it to.)
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:30 pm

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler