Contest, We have a WINNER!!!

Home to all current Forum Games.
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: Contest, voting time :) please the more votes the better

Post by WearsHats » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:12 am

It was a typo. Krulle knew that. He made a joke of the typo. He was laughing with LAYF, not at him. The only thing that comes across as rude to me is your brash way of telling Krulle you thought he was being rude. But it's a matter of how you read text without nonverbal cues. That can be tricky. Try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Now, if we could get back to why we're actually here...

Entry 1: 1 (Nerre)
Entry 2: 2 (NotStickFigures, Wears)
Entry 3: 1 (Badge)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:46 am

Only one person was being rude there, and it wasn't Krulle. ¬_¬

I liked all of them but 2 won it for me.

Entry 2: 3 (NotStickFigures, Wears, nikohl)

SUGauthor
Whispers Softly

Post by SUGauthor » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:50 am

Maybe I was a little harsher than I should have been, and for that I'm sorry, but I wouldn't want someone to make a comment like that about me if I misplaced a letter somewhere. I was just trying to look out for LAYF.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:15 pm

If we were to judge our content by the number of our posts, then please understand for future instances that the lines between joking and being cruel have already been drawn. That being said, those of us who've been around for awhile know who doesn't like whom and thus, if there was known rudeness happening, it would have been called out.

On the other hand, you aren't alone, there are several of us who very much enjoy LAYF's being here with us and will rise to his defense eagerly.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:30 pm

I just found it funny that a simple wrong letternled to something with a completely new meaning.
And I wanted to know when his would be, as it would be a relative end of vote...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:52 am

okay... I'm gone for a bit and people jumps to the walls? damn...

Any ways... glad it got solved...

Only two days left and we have a stall? hmm... I'll figure out a solution to this....

untill then.... VOTE BY THE GODS OF THE RED WOLF!!!!!
*no voice was harmed in the production of this yelling.

Entry 2: 3 (NotStickFigures, Wears, nikohl)
-Best regards LAYF

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:55 am

LAYF wrote:Only two days left and we have a stall? hmm... I'll figure out a solution to this....
Sound like you're not favouring entry 2?

I'll revote then:

Entry 2: 4 (NotStickFigures, Wears, nikohl, Krulle)

But I have to say I liked all three stories.
Just story 2 was closest to my idea...

(still a stall for second place..)

(One vote for you per three of us?
Makes 2 votes for you, until now.)

(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:04 am

May I explain why i chose 3 over 2.

Option 2 is a wonderful story, but the last line gave it away, ...The Lions fur was green... Only one element of the actual game exists in the story and this isn't simply a story about whatever, it's a story describing a game.

Option 3: Also a wonderful story, but it includes the elements of the game. Alpha creatures are hinted at (which are in the game), Colors are mentioned (which are in the game), The next Competition is nearly upon us. Who shall win? Only time will tell (This actually draws me in to want to play the game)

And, Honestly Layf, I'm guessing that you agree with me and you are the one voting for option 3...so, in my opinion, it's your game and you should pick the one that you think tells the story of your game the best,......which is option 3.

I didn't write it, but I applaud whoever did. Though, I am a bit confused as to why the person who created the story didn't vote for their own story.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:13 am

Krulle wrote:
LAYF wrote:Only two days left and we have a stall? hmm... I'll figure out a solution to this....
Sound like you're not favouring entry 2?

.... SNIP .....
(still a stall for second place..)

(One vote for you per three of us?
Makes 2 votes for you, until now.)
I was hinting at a stall for 2nd place...

About my 2 votes... yea, I know, I could use them to end the stall, but I predefined where i would place each vote depending on how many I got... and by that, its still a stall for second place....

Badge: I have no idea why the voters have voted as they have, or why those who made entries voted as they did... I have not encouraged or discouraged them from voting one way or the other....
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:38 am

I know that you are trying to be fair Sir Layf, that is why we love you.

However, in this instance, for the sake of your product, the best story is the one that best tells the story of the game itself...this is of course simply my opinion..I just can't help but look at my fellow voters confusedly.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:39 am

BadgeAddict wrote:Though, I am a bit confused as to why the person who created the story didn't vote for their own story.
A lot of people frown upon others voting for themselves.
So much so, that many participants in contests (if they are allowed to vote) vote for the best story beside their own.

Story 2 lures me more than story 3 to play myself.
Because now I want to know why it is important that the other's fur colour is green...

Story 3 sounds too much like all these bad martial arts D-movies (Mortal Combat, ...) to me, where a group of selected individuals defend this realm against the evil other realm trying to take this world for theirs to loot.
And this also sounds like the pretext to another anime series, which would be a bad copy of Yu-Gi-Oh (sp?) or Pok├®mon, where a player has a set of cards and goes around fighting other players...
There's simply too much of these kind stories flying around already. It's a direct turn-down for me.

"Story" 1 is too much a description of why this or that can win every fight. It's much an background explanation of the basis of the game mechanics. I like it too, but it's not luring.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:04 am

BadgeAddict wrote:I know that you are trying to be fair Sir Layf, that is why we love you.

However, in this instance, for the sake of your product, the best story is the one that best tells the story of the game itself...this is of course simply my opinion..I just can't help but look at my fellow voters confusedly.
You wrote, it is your opinion. Why rub it into LAYFs face so often? He already gave you an answer. At some point, repeating things becomes rude, and makes it look like your opinion is all that counts.

Like Krulle vote, #1 maybe explains the rule mechanisms best, while #2 is the most luring by looking at the story itself. This is why most chose it over #3, which is kind or luring too, but only mentiones the rules on the fringe. And yes, Krulle, I share your opionion that it "sounds too much like all these bad martial arts D-movies".

I confess, I still did not fully understood the rules, what is stronger, the color or the animal race, or the sword below the picture. I know what beats what for each color or animal race, but not which cycle is stronger. Is is just enough that one of the things on your card can beat the one placed before you?
:zzz:

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:21 am

I'm not rubbing anything in anyones face nerre...I'm trying to sway the minds of my fellow voters...Perhaps my title should be something about standing on a soap-box and preaching... :P

The rules, Short explanation:
All of the animals, are in a Who-beats-who circle.
The Animal circle is composed of: Wolf, Hawk, Snake, Lion, Boar, Wolf (circle, wraps around)
In this circle, Each animal can beat the one that follows it.
Thus: Wolf beats Hawk, Hawk beats Snake, Snake beats lion, Lion beats Boar, Boar beats wolf.

The Color circle is composed of: Blue, Yellow, Orange, Pink, Red, Green, Blue (Also a circle, wraps around)
In this circle, Each color can kill the next two that follow it.
Thus: Blue beats Yellow and Orange, Yellow beats Orange and Pink, Orange beats Pink and Red, Pink beats Red & Green, Red beats Green and Blue, Green beats Blue and Yellow.

Now, one stipulation is that, regardless of colors, the Animal Order is always correct and a Hawk can never, regardless of color, defeat a wolf.
A way to think about this then, is that every animal can defeat all other animals except the animal that can defeat it (And/or, the animal that is directly behind it, in the circle)

To add an additional stipulation: An animal can only break the natural order, if its color beats that of another, (though my question is whether a Blue Wolf could defeat a Yellow Wolf?)

So, with the two circles overlaid, we get the following
Blue Wolf can defeat Hawks & Yellow or Orange Hawks, Snakes & Lions
Yellow Wolf can defeat Hawks & Orange or Pink Hawks, Snakes & Lions
Orange Wolf can defeat Hawks & Pink or Red Hawks, Snakes & Lions

Blue Hawk can defeat Snakes & Yellow or Orange Snakes, Lions & Boars

Blue Snake can defeat Lions & Yellow or Orange Lions, Boars & Wolves

Blue Lion can defeat Warthog & Yellow or Orange Boars, Wolf & Hawk

Blue Boar can defeat Wolf & Yellow or Orange Wolf, Hawk & Snake

And so on with each different color option.

*Notes:
1. By pink...I totally meant purple...of course.
2. I'll be honest, I don't completely understand Triumph cards, based on the description in the rules. (I don't understand their use)
3. Question: Can a Wolf beat a Wolf?
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:38 am

Nice work Badge...

Then there are only Triumph cards left... If you want to complete the explanation... You formulated better than I ever could...

But I guess you'd need the cards for that...

2 sec...

These are the two kinds triumph cards:
Animal related:
► Show Spoiler
and the big Ace card:
► Show Spoiler
As for a Wolf beating another wolf, indeed it can. if its color allows for it, or if it uses a triumph card (Called Alpha for the wolfs)

one lite thing.... Warthog is a triumph card... the standard animal is called a boar :)

(Warthog besides a boar)
► Show Spoiler
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:40 am

Okay...So, other than the game winning card, The Triumph card acts as a Wild Color (A specific/All Colors), but can only be played with a certain animal.. Similar to Uno Wild Color Cards.

And thanks for the correction. I changed my language to Boar, to avoid confusion.

If you would like to use any of my explanation within the game rules, feel free. (Unless of course it is too late)
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:43 am

yep :)
Oh, and it is not game winning, only round winning.... but still, its good, since it secures you at least 3(4) cards for the matchmaking and point counting at the end of the game...
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:44 am

When you have time to read my message regarding a game idea, let me know and maybe we can make a card game baby together. :P

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:58 am

I have now :)

Now... back to voting:

-Best regards LAYF

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:57 pm

Off Topic
LAYF wrote:and the big Ace card:
► Show Spoiler
Only because I saw it right now: "different".
Or did you on purpose create a written version of a slurred pronunciation to shorten the text on the card to make it fit?

Personally, the word "colors" also jumps at me, but there I know of differences is spelling, but the "difrent" on the card I never saw before, and none of the translator sites knows it, and google suggests that I meant "different".

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:12 pm

Colors was a deliberate choice, as i've noted that is how most people i know spell it...

Different.... damn.... none of the spell checkers cough up with that.... or the people who have seen it... damn... ah well... I can change that with no problem... even before the winners gets theirs :D
-Best regards LAYF

SUGauthor
Whispers Softly

Post by SUGauthor » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:48 pm

BadgeAddict wrote: I didn't write it, but I applaud whoever did. Though, I am a bit confused as to why the person who created the story didn't vote for their own story.
I wrote it. I'm not voting because I feel like I am utterly incapable of providing a unbiased answer as to which story is the best. Besides I want what I wrote to speak for itself, if my story wins or gets second it'll be because it's the best (or second best) entry, not because I wanted it to win.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:58 am

Finally found the time to read the stories, so I can add my vote

Entry 3: 2 (Badge, Gathers)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:04 am

So, Sunday is over...

And we have our winners :)

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

1st place Gathers with the second story.
And 2nd place goes to SUGauthor for the third story.

As soon as I have the info I need from the two of you I'll order and send you your prizes :)

Again, congratulations :)
-Best regards LAYF

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Re: Contest, We have a WINNER!!!

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:42 am

Thanks, LAYF. For holding the contest and for your kind words and for donating and mailing the prizes. I hope your game becomes a great success.

Congratulations to SUGauthor!

Also, thanks to everyone who voted for my story. I never would have guessed for it to win first place. I really don't know what to say. :shy:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

SUGauthor
Whispers Softly

Re: Contest, We have a WINNER!!!

Post by SUGauthor » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:34 am

Congrats to Gathers! :cheer:

Also thanks for voting for my story, (you too Badge)!

Thanks for holding the contest LAYF, I also hope your game is a big success.