Whiteleaf OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Synch
Game Master

Re: Whiteleaf OOC

Post by Synch » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:28 pm

willpell wrote: No, this is what happens when the webmistress of that site puts the feelings of people I've butthurt ahead of my fundamental and inalienable rights, which apparently only I am cognizant of.
Ah. Don't butthurt people then?
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:13 pm

I dont get how you are loosing acess to editig powers or why. Can't you put them on googledocs?

Also not surprised that you 'butthurt' people.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:22 pm

Synch wrote:
willpell wrote: No, this is what happens when the webmistress of that site puts the feelings of people I've butthurt ahead of my fundamental and inalienable rights, which apparently only I am cognizant of.
An impossibility. I cannot predict how people will react; their feelings are their own responsibility, and I neither can figure out how I will affect them, nor should have to.
Arch Lich Burns wrote:I dont get how you are loosing acess to editig powers or why. Can't you put them on googledocs?
Maybe eventually, but I'd have to rebuild everything from scratch. There's quite a lot; it's taken me three years to get even this far, and I still struggle with 7th-level wizards and clerics, to say nothing of monsters. Plus, Google Docs are white. One of the reasons this site felt comfortable to me is that the whole screen was black, with white text unless another color was specified. It sounds like a trivial thing, but it measurably improved my ability to operate creatively when I wasn't staring at a screen which hurts my eyes with its brightness. To preserve the effect, I would have to have another SimpleMachinesForum with the BlackBox skin installed - and, after this incident, I wouldn't even want to bother the painstaking task of file upload unless I had an absolute promise that NO MATTER WHAT, I would not be banned EVER. This has happened again and again and again, and I'm sick of it, I'm sick of people having the power to virtually "kill" me just because I hurt their precious fucking feelings. The only alternative I can see is for me to run the forum myself, but I have neither the money nor the technical knowledge to be capable of this.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Yea no. You are not getting that promise from me.

Also you can change the docs to black easily.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:21 pm

willpell wrote:
Synch wrote:
An impossibility. I cannot predict how people will react; their feelings are their own responsibility, and I neither can figure out how I will affect them, nor should have to.
But to function properly in society and communicate with other people you can't just take the stance of "I'll say whatever I want, fuck your feelings." With that stance, it comes as no surprise that you are repeatedly banned. But anyway, this has nothing to do with your DnD world so probably doesn't need to become a discussion here.
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:18 pm

► Show Spoiler
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:56 pm

Sorry to hear that you're losing access to all your GM resources. I was certainly appreciative of the time and effort you've put into world building for our outings, it's unfortunate for us all that you're getting cut off from them before we really got to explore much of Whiteleaf...
Arch Lich Burns wrote:Also you can change the docs to black easily.
Can this be done without installation of modifications to Google Docs?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:19 pm

Yes? Though m only experience is google exel sheets

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:31 pm

In a spreadsheet, you can fill the cells, for any word docs, the highlight wouldn't cut it (it'll leave white space where text isn't), not sure if there is a way to make it all dark or not.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:32 pm

You can indeed. Spreadsheets are obvious (cell backgrounds and such) but on documents, you can go to File > page setup and there's an option to change the background of the document. (I have mine set to default to a low saturation soft purple.)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:50 pm

Well there we go... no we just need someone to cast a time altering spell to give Willpell 3 years to feed it all into a google doc and we'll be all set!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:52 am

Synch wrote:But to function properly in society and communicate with other people you can't just take the stance of "I'll say whatever I want, fuck your feelings."
You could if those people did not use their adult powers and influence to enforce a childish tantrum every time something twangs their emotions. People's feelings are solely those people's own responsibility. I'm told that because of what I said, another person on the forum "felt uncomfortable" and took a few days away from the forum so as not to be around me. That is exactly what they should have done - their feelings troubled them, so THEY took action to correct their emotional state, which was solely their problem to deal with.

Society would work just fine if everyone realized that this is how they should comport themselves. They need to be all-business when dealing with other people, unless they have intentionally sought to build an emotional bond with those people (lovers etc.). And society must give them the latitude to manage their own emotional health privately, without it ever being anyone else's problem (either positively or negatively - not only do people not have to put up with their crap, but they also need to be able to tolerate the temporary unavailability of their skills and responsibilities whenever they go off to deal with their emotional state, which means things like much greater tolerance for absenteeism in work scheduling, etc).
Quarg wrote:Er...you do realize that an online forum is not a public forum? Its more akin to a country club really...[/spoil]
I in fact realize no such thing. Internet forums are the digital equivalent of a public sidewalk; people can come and go as they please, and are entitled to behave in any publically-acceptible fashion without repercussion. Nobody "owns" the sidewalk, even though one could claim that having paid for the installation of concrete squares grants them that ownership; we as a society are enlightened enough to realize that there needs to be free space for everyone to travel through, or if they so choose, to simply occupy during their free time, in order to socialize with whoever's passing by. (The equivalent of a "country club" would be the exchange of private emails on a multi-user list; any time you organize them in a way that makes it possible for new people to gain access without the previous membership having to invite or approve them, it's public.) We are simply being slow to understand how our existing social protocols should be applied to this new domain of existence we've opened up; power barons who control access to the necessary infrastructure are pushing us to accept a more tyrannical framework, which they attempt to enforce through the use of legally-enforceable contracts, but ultimately it is our responsibility, as the billions of members of the public, not to allow our freedom to be stolen from us by a rich and ruthless elite.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:48 am

willpell wrote:
I in fact realize no such thing. Internet forums are the digital equivalent of a public sidewalk; people can come and go as they please, and are entitled to behave in any publically-acceptible fashion without repercussion. Nobody "owns" the sidewalk, even though one could claim that having paid for the installation of concrete squares grants them that ownership; we as a society are enlightened enough to realize that there needs to be free space for everyone to travel through, or if they so choose, to simply occupy during their free time, in order to socialize with whoever's passing by. (The equivalent of a "country club" would be the exchange of private emails on a multi-user list; any time you organize them in a way that makes it possible for new people to gain access without the previous membership having to invite or approve them, it's public.) We are simply being slow to understand how our existing social protocols should be applied to this new domain of existence we've opened up; power barons who control access to the necessary infrastructure are pushing us to accept a more tyrannical framework, which they attempt to enforce through the use of legally-enforceable contracts, but ultimately it is our responsibility, as the billions of members of the public, not to allow our freedom to be stolen from us by a rich and ruthless elite.
I am glad you think that Moose, Wolfe, and Thunt represent the monied elite.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:56 am

So, if I were to use Google Docs, is there a doc format that would work the way a series of posts on a message board do, where you can link to a particular post? Spreadsheets work for some things and documents work for others, but for something like a reference list of spells, neither is ideally suited.
Quarg wrote:I am glad you think that Moose, Wolfe, and Thunt represent the monied elite.
I was referring to the owner of the site that's banning me this week. A wealthy English heir who does this stuff in their spare time, in between playing computer games and obsessing over fashion. Pays for the entire site out of pocket. Thunt maintains this forum essentially as a form of advertising for his comic strip; while I disapprove of mercenarism, I at least understand it, so if Thunt decided that he could make more money by banning me from his site, I could at least vaguely accept that as a logical motivation (I'd still be mad, of course, but at least it would be in a generalized injustices-of-the-capitalist-world sense, rather than at Thunt specifically; he'd be almost as much a victim as I was in that scenario). But this person is doing nothing but favoring some of their friends over others, for utterly mercurial and pointless reasons. I'm every bit as valuable to that community as the people I pissed off or drove away, and I've repeatedly offered compromises which would leave everyone satisfied, me puttering around in my own little corner of the website and never bothering anyone else. If I had it all to do over again, I could very easily correct the missteps that led me over this cliff, but this person is refusing to allow any further compromises, being entirely irrational and taking action that hurts everyone and helps no-one.
My long-neglected blog.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:59 am

You are wrong will. You do have responsibility over other's feelings. You cannot give zero fucks for people you emotionally harmed. words can hurt and can drive one to suicide. You need to be a lot more respectful of others. You loose your rights when you intentionally harm others.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:27 am

Willpell, just my $0.02, but forums aren't quite public. You do have to sign up to have any sort of say and by signing up you agree to abide by the rules of the forum as laid down by those in charge.

So, no, you do not get to just say whatever you want and fuck what everyone else thinks or feels. That's not how a society/forum works. You don't get the right to be an asshat and deny that right to everyone else.

To answer one of your questions though: Yes, on Google docs you can link to a particular part of your document/spreadsheet.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:48 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:You are wrong will. You do have responsibility over other's feelings. You cannot give zero fucks for people you emotionally harmed. words can hurt and can drive one to suicide. You need to be a lot more respectful of others. You loose your rights when you intentionally harm others.
I firmly disagree with all of this. I regard it as overly sensitive claptrap which is used to deny personal responsibility.
Wolfie wrote:Willpell, just my $0.02, but forums aren't quite public. You do have to sign up to have any sort of say and by signing up you agree to abide by the rules of the forum as laid down by those in charge.

So, no, you do not get to just say whatever you want and fuck what everyone else thinks or feels. That's not how a society/forum works. You don't get the right to be an asshat and deny that right to everyone else.
I'm aware that this is how things ARE, but they should NOT be, and I wage an unceasing war to change them.
My long-neglected blog.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:09 pm

[mod="Arch Lich Burns"]Will, ranting about your ban and how others should feel when you treat them badly does not belong on this thread nor the games forum.[/mod]

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:45 pm

Alright, I may eventually be able to reactivate this game. The loss of my resources is a drastic setback; reconstructing them will take an absurd amount of time, and may never be completely possible. But at least I know that the "spark" is still there. I had about an hour yesterday when I felt like I could never return to work on the project without rubbing salt in the wound of this incident, but I've decided that this was foolishness on my part, and that the setting still has its hooks in me too deeply for me to ever be "finished" trying to create it. So now it's just a question of logistics. If folks are still interested, I'll see what I can do.
My long-neglected blog.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:00 pm

Sorry but no. Your recent outburst and attitude makes me not want to play under your rule.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:13 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Sorry but no. Your recent outburst and attitude makes me not want to play under your rule.
I pretty much suggested you didn't back when you first got in; your response was essentially "eh, whatever", so if you've changed your mind, no skin off my back. Spares me the effort of dealing with a ghost character.

Anyone else?
My long-neglected blog.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:16 pm

Partially because I thought you were being better, but now you have shown that you haven't.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:11 am

Okay, so that's one definite "no". Still waiting to hear from four or five other people.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:01 am

I want a chance to explore my character more... if others are in, I am too.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:08 pm

So apparently D&DTools.eu just got a C&D this month from Wotco shutting them down. Apparently it's more than just me who's had their resources for making D&D vaguely playable taken away. It's absolutely remarkable how hard this company works to keep anyone from enjoying their products.
spiderwrangler wrote:I want a chance to explore my character more... if others are in, I am too.
In view of the fact that I have a couple other players who are operating at a low level, and I'm more comfortable doing that in my current circumstances, how would you feel about creating an earlier version of Kast? You'd have to give up your spiderkissed weapon, and Kzri would become little more than a baby, but I think it vastly improves my odds of being able to run the game.
My long-neglected blog.