Where Dragons Fear To Tread - Prologue

Home to all current Forum Games.
willpell
Banned

Re: Where Dragons Fear To Tread - Prologue

Post by willpell » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:24 am

spiderwrangler wrote:"If you and Xolenon have only been traveling together a short time, surely it was not your connection to him that caused you to leave your clan?"
"Oh no, nothing like that. I used to have a badger actually, but we were separated by circumstance by long enough that our bond faded, and rather than renew it again, I left him to live out the rest of his life as a slightly larger and hardier, but otherwise essentially normal, creature of the wild. The areas that my duties usually take me to are...rather inhospitable to any mammal, even a burrower; just because I could overcome his natural aversions to gain his aid in my work doesn't necessarily mean I should. I may let Xolenon go too, eventually (in favor of a wasp, perhaps, so that I could fly on its back when required), when he and I have both grown and changed enough to grow apart. But for now, and the forseeable future, my commitment to him is as deep as any druid's, to his animal brother.

"To be clear, I was never cast out of my clan or anything like that; I still write back to Dad and my siblings. They know the work I do is important; they just don't understand, and find it vaguely unsettling, in a 'don't track mud all over my nice clean carpet' kind of way. Moradin bless them all, but I just couldn't share their perspective, knowing what I know, nor could they mine. So I leave them to the world they prefer, and I patrol the borders, to help them with the things they'd rather not deal with. (Which, incidentally, is how I happen to be out here, above what we call 'the ceiling of the world'.)

"A pleasure to meet you as well, good humans...Cassien, Quinton,"
the traveler adds finally. As he's talked, he's also circumnavigated the clearing casually, putting him close enough to Eileen that he can add an aside in Dwarven, which only the sharpest ears can catch: <"Your friend is very transparent, is he not?"> The word for "transparent" he uses has strong and usually-complementary connotations of "totally honest and forthcoming", and is used in that sense far more often than it is literally, particularly when referring to persons. (If Eileen can hit 15 on Sense Motive, it may occur to her that Ryritan probably made his reference to "humans" while assuming that it excluded her. Whatever manner of being Commander Varshyl was - he alluded to not considering himself human, though perhaps he simply considers his draconic heritage more dominant; that doesn't necessarily mean that the odious Zarite "Apex of Racial Purity" would refuse to sit on his head - perhaps Ryritan knows the type, and took you for a member of it.)
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:40 pm

Dalsein nods at the dwarf. "Stormcrow."
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:23 pm

"Excuse me?" the dwarf says in a sharply up-pitched tone of voice, cocking one of his eyebrows.

(It is really hard to describe a person's inflections or expressions without giving any hint of what emotional meaning they connote, as I'm assuming Stormcrow still has trouble reading these. Sense Motive at DC 10 to figure it out. The answer should be obvious enough to everyone else, save possibly Kast, who is more than perceptive enough to pick up the details but might never have cared enough to figure out what they mean.)
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:17 pm

"His name is Stormcrow. He was introducing himself."

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:18 pm

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:50 pm

"Oh," Ryritan says quietly, flushing beet-red. Fumbling for words, he finally manages to stammer an apology-for-overreactng in Dwarven, which he will shortly thereafter repeat in Common if Eileen doesn't do the honors for him. Stormcrow belatedly realizes that his expression and tone basically amounted to "he said WHAAAT!?" - evidently he mistook your one-word introduction for an epithet hurled at him, and is now extremely shamefaced about jumping to this conclusion.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:56 pm

Kast is distracted by the impressive waggling of the dwarf's eyebrow, and subsequent color change. This fellow has some impressive facial expressions.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:05 pm

"Quite alright. What...work and duties, if you don't mind my asking?" Cassien spoke up with the intention of redirecting. He was quietly amused by the exchange himself, but it was likely best to let the dwarf move past his embarrassment quickly.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:40 pm

"Eileen ap Fyretorr" she gives a small bow before being interrupted by the others. "My fellows and I are quite an assortment from all over the Empire, with varying traditions and speech." She smiles at the dwarf, "but your duties seem to take you far from hearth and kin, or perhaps my memory fails me upon the territories of the clans?"
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:39 pm

"No, you are quite right, Lady Fyertorr. My homeland, or rather the territory above it, is quite far from here indeed, well past the zone which our kingdoms share." (Though a goodly chunk of land has been entirely ceded to the ownership of the Dwarves, ensuring their privacy and that they need not fear invasion from above, there is also a substantial boundary region in which humans "own" the surface, though they are strictly injuncted against deep excavations, while dwarves colonize the tunnels beneath their feet. The diplomatic and military factors involved in working out this arrangement were complex indeed, and are fully understood only by extremely highly-placed members of the two governments.) "My task is to ensure the protection of my homeland against threats originating in the natural world, which we dwaormaeril have never as a whole worked closely with. My clanmates would not know how to identify the signs of a communicable blight fungus growing on imported vegetables, which might contaminate our native crops through contact; they would respond to a Jermlaine infestation by killing the creatures, not knowing that they reproduce from microscopic eggs which are released upon violent death and grow into adult fey with an innate drive to avenge the deaths of their parents. I could explain these facts to my clan elders, and perhaps even convince them that I speak the truth, but I could not change the deeply ingrained habits and practices of every rank and file member of a nation of millions. We are accustomed to upholding traditions that have not changed in millenia, and to having to somes survive such a marginal existence that the slightest deviation can bring disaster. To say that we are slow to embrace change is an understatement. And so those of us who understand the world beyond our walls must go out into it, aggressively protecting our homebound kin against things they are not prepared to know about."
My long-neglected blog.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:32 am

"And what danger of the natural world threatens the marble halls of Clan Purzel from here?" Eileen replies,.
Her mind had noted that he sounded more like an imperial customs agent than a wandering inspector. Which begged the question of why he was precisely here.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:40 pm

"Nothing at the moment...you might say that I am 'freelancing' currently, in the wake of a previous mission which brought me up here, now completed, and with no real urgency about getting back (I have allies who can contact me in the case of an emergency; unless they do, I am entitled to a bit of personal time). Dragons are an interest of mine, copper dragons in particular, and I have heard rumor of a young one being on the loose in this area. I hoped that I might manage to locate him and say 'hello', and since he might have found Xolenon's presence...distracting, I was going to leave him to his own devices for a while. I was scouting this copse to see if it would be suitable - I was leaning toward 'no', since it's rather close to civilization, although the woods do get much deeper further in - and then he noticed your companion, and commenced to behave as his nature dictates. I was just going to scout about the area a little more, to ensure he would be safe here (save possibly from the object of his affections, and that's a risk he would hardly let me protect him from), and then if all was well, I planned to head out in search of the rumored drake."
My long-neglected blog.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:20 pm

"Dragons are magnificent creatures, no? I would like to see this dragon as well, and perhaps it would give us insight to another matter we are looking into."