Where Dragons Fear To Tread - Prologue

Home to all current Forum Games.
Synch
Game Master

Re: Where Dragons Fear To Tread - Prologue

Post by Synch » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:53 am

willpell wrote:"If a tribe of fire giants had fallen out of the sky and burned your home forest to the ground, would that prove that your people had been somehow negligent? If you don't want to join your allies in this investigation, and would rather just hop back on that arachnid of yours and ride off into the sunrise, that is between you and the rest of your erstwhile traveling companions. Regardless, I expect you to keep a civil tongue in your head; I'm not in the habit of dueling over honor, but there's a first time for everything."
At the mention of forest burnt to the ground and the disparaging remark to Kast, Dalsein crushes the empty goblet in his hand in an unusual show of strength and makes his way toward Varshyl, teeth bared and eyes wide with ire.
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:16 am

Instantly appraising the situation, Varshyl speaks in a conciliatory tone. "It was only a figure of speech; I meant nothing by it."
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:44 am

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:03 am

velidor speaks ineverybodies (asides the commander) head We should hold onto the dimonds, and perhaps we will have enough for a resurrection. Even though he lacks arm he still heavily hints to Quinton, seeing he is the only one dead.

Quinton sighs and shakes his head. We talked about this many times before. Not until after you get fixed. It would make me feel extremely guilty that I get to be alive while you can't

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:07 am

Cassien's mouth opened to say something, and promptly closed again at seeing Dalsein move toward Varshyl. He rose from his seat. Physically, there was nothing he could do to stop Dalsein if the elf chose not to listen, and that concerned him. <"It's alright, he did not intend that as a threat. Calm down.">
He had absolutely no idea if switching to the elf's native tongue would in any way help. ...he hoped so. <"It's alright.">

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:07 am

Eileen eyes narrowed. She could tell that the man was somewhat flailing around with the various races that were surrounding her. Which explained why a man of his apparent competence was in someplace where he would be effective but not forced into the political machinations of a more civilized posting. He was piss poor at politics, a buff strait shooting solider type.
"Well let us do some poking about among the shadows. That we can do without too much trouble, though we will have to pretend to be buyers of some quality. Tell me, who is the second biggest arms dealer in this region with somewhat shady ties if you know. Otherwise I will need to go find a disreputable bar and ask."
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:24 am

Zaks (Under Collective Control) looked at Eileen and spoke *Draconic*: "Perhaps if we spent the money on our own airship, we may have a better chance at finding these enemies of the state. If anything, it would allow us to make our investigation on a much quicker timetable, as every second counts. Asking after a craftsman to build our own Airship, would provide us reason enough to explain why we are so interested in the subject....Custom Airship Craftsman are probably quite rare."

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:24 am

Eileen chuckles at that..."I think none of us have that deep a pocket...but I do happen to have relatives with deep pockets and a possible reasons for wanting one secretively." She turned her glance back to the Marshal, "I of course would need to secure a sealed writ from you that we were doing so for Imperial purposes, Lest the Emperor grow concerned about rumors of my uncle trying to secure such technology secretively and not know it was merely an attempt to investigate threats against the Empire."

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:58 pm

► Show Spoiler
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:04 pm

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:34 pm

...Are you not paying attention? You need to do something.
"Hmm? Oh. Dassien, he's not worth it. Sit back down, if you continue, I may have to take extreame measures to stop you. I would rather not do that, so please calm down."

...sorry somehow skipped synch's post

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:56 pm

Having been spoken to by both Quinton and Cassien, Dalsein throws the crushed goblet to the floor and stalks off to a seat in the corner of the private room,where he battles to control his laboured breathing and his temper.
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:25 am

While Dalsein gets his temper under control, Zaks's psyche writhes beneath the Collective's firm restraint, and Kast pines over his beloved pet, the three more civilized members of the party finish working out the details of their arrangement with Varshyl, describing various plans to collect additional information in search of a lead. He extends an invitation to return to Drachengaard if you wish to inspect the "scene of the crime", but openly questions whether you're likely to find any clues there, given how much destruction and subsequent rebuilding will have taken place by then; it's likely that you'll be traveling there later anyway, to give whatever reports you wish (if Zaks or his "handlers" propose a Correspond, Varshyl will display a distinct grumpiness toward the idea of having his mental privacy violated, and will not cooperate in creating a connection, suggesting that you hire a cleric to cast Sending instead, if you can't make it in person). Once the negotiations are finished, you and he exit the saferoom and return to the front of the inn, to gather what few of your belongings were not continuously on your person, settle your tab, and otherwise make ready to hit the road.

Separate Spot and Listen checks please, everyone.
My long-neglected blog.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:42 am

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:59 am

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:09 am

► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:15 pm

► Show Spoiler

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:06 pm

► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:37 pm

(I could wait for Badge to post his rolls, but I'd probably better just move on. Assume that if Zaks beats 15 on either check, he is also privy to the following information.)

Kast and Cassien both notice two simultaneous events of possible interest - out front of the inn, as they see Varshyl push his way out the door, they catch a momentary glimpse of a big half-orc dressed in trailblazer's gear lounging out in front of the inn, as if watching those who go in and out of it. Meanwhile, in the courtyard behind them, they can hear the half-elf woman still singing some popularly rousing tune, and notice that she's concluded it rather abruptly, when there's usually an entire other verse yet. They can then hear her thanking the crowd, who returns the sentiment with a rousing bit of applause that drowns out any other noise from out there. Quinton is actually facing in that direction, so he doesn't see the half-orc outside, but he does observe that Lauryn or whoever is gathering up her instruments and paraphernalia and then hastily departing the stage - without pausing to pass the hat, as the vast majority of non-ghost bards would do after a performance as successful as this.

Both incidents entirely escape the attentions of Dalsein and Eileen, the latter because she's attending to the group's fiscal responsibilities toward the innkeeper, and the former because he's still making a busy making Grapple check against his liquor. Zaks might or might not have apprehended anything that's happening around himself - it's difficult at the best of times for any of his occasional associates to guess what's happening in that head of his.
My long-neglected blog.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:27 am

"...Why would she stop so suddenly? Unless...someone is after her." Quinton flies over to the half elf. "Is something wrong my lady?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:00 am

Darfel catches Cassien's eye, and confirms that the other saw what he did.

"Notify the others, I'll go check it out."

Kast slips away and climbs up the courtyard wall and down the outside of the inn. Merging in with foot traffic or just circling around, he'll position himself out of the orc's line of site and study him further, attempting to discern what his purpose is (which passerby is he paying attention to, etc.).

(Let me know if you want skill checks from me.)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:07 am

The h'elf is making a rapid Exit Stage Left (well, right). You are not any faster than her; if she notices you following her and tries to account for your ability to pass through walls, she can probably still lose you. Some sort of rolls are probably called for here, but I'm honestly not sure what to use. Rule of Plot would dictate that I set the DCs unreasonably high anyway. Unless you are both extremely determined to catch up with her (and are willing to be seen chasing her like her name is Mrs. Pac-Man, which the other inn guests might not think is kosher behavior for a seemingly friendly ghost), as well as having a fairly clever plan for how to keep her from getting away, I'd prefer to assume that she gets away. The inn is sufficiently extensive that, even without resorting to picking locks or the like, she can probably manage to lose you - all she has to do is get around a corner from you and then make a good enough Hide check, and all your ghostly powers won't keep her from escaping your notice.
spiderwrangler wrote:(Let me know if you want skill checks from me.)
I'll assume that you can take 10 on the Climb check, but the h'orc is going to try to blend into the crowd outside the inn (it's not an absolutely packed crowd, but there's enough people that finding a guy who you got only a brief glimpse of is by no means a gimme). Your Spot check is great, but in a case like this it seems as though I should call for a Search roll instead, since you're not reacting to an immediate threat, but rather trying to find a needle in a proverbial haystack. For what it's worth, I'll say that you can get half of your anti-human bonus to the roll to find this half-human, even though favored enemy doesn't normally apply to Search, and FE probably isn't always transferrable to hybrids in this fashion (it would likely depend on whether the target self-identifies culturally as a human or whatever his other half is, or if he prides himself on being his own subspecies - for example the Scar Enforcers prestige class consists of half-elf separatists, and they would not count as either humans or elves because they intentionally reject both cultures).
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:02 am

Kast loses the half-orc in the crowd.

1d20+2+2=7

He'll return to the others and inform them of what little he has seen.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:56 am

Since the others are on the other side of the building, Quinton takes note to where she is going, but instead of directly following her, he phases through the walls to find the back exit, hovering in the aor while he waits for her coming from there or from the windows.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:30 pm

► Show Spoiler
Cassien is careful not to draw attention to himself; he's grateful when Kast leaves to gather information for them. The half orc has him on high alert however, and he tries to catch a second glimpse of the fellow, himself. Was he alone, or were others with him?

Second spot if applicable to specifically look for affiliated others. 15+10-> 25