Where Dragons Fear To Tread - Prologue

Home to all current Forum Games.
Synch
Game Master

Re: Where Dragons Fear To Tread - Prologue

Post by Synch » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:42 am

Stormcrow follows Kast at a distance, cutting a swathe by swatting shrubs and bushes on either side with his club hoping to startle anyone or anything that may be hiding in ambush.
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:47 am

► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:22 am

► Show Spoiler
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:39 am

► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:19 am

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:36 am

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:42 am

(Forcing their will upon him quite suddenly and unexpectedly, the Collective use their power of Planar Shift, Psionic (9 PP) to remove Zaks from the material plane. Trapped alone, lost and unsure of where he is, Zaks struggles to find a way back home. When he does finally planar shift back to the material plane, he finds himself standing in a field that is completely unfamiliar to him. Satisfied that he is once more in the material plane, but having no idea where he is, Zaks sets off to find Kast once more.)

Shifting between planes can cause you to shift between 5 and 500 miles from your point of origin, this happened

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:34 pm

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:55 pm

► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:42 pm

(Before this announcement, I was actually debating splitting the party rather than continuing to tether everyone together with the very loose "old associates" theme. However, now you'll have exactly 5, which is basically the perfect number in terms of Experience Point math; now that we don't have an Evil member, we can probably muddle through, even if it's not a perfect fit.

If Stormcrow needs a little manifestation, I can always arrange for the Seasoned One - who I might as well go ahead and admit is just Obad-Hai from the Player's Handbook - to show up and smack some sense into him.)
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:19 pm

deleted
Last edited by Quarg on Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:17 pm

Okay, for the sake of not making the players even more suspicious of the guy you're soon going to meet, assume that Zaks has vanished not only from your presence but from your short-term memories, so that you have no particular expectation that he should have been with you, at least since the meeting with Varshyl and possibly even before then. He can still be an old friend of yours, and possibly even someone that you saw recently, but not a member of your current party whose welfare should be an immediate concern.

(Also you can't invoke Voidsense "on" anyone; it affects only you, and all it gives you is Blindsense, with an extremely short range at that.)
My long-neglected blog.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:36 pm

Quinton follows silently (by his ghostly nature), floatig above to look for any signs of a humanoid or other intelligent life.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:47 pm

► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:57 pm

The first thought you get is Hm...sounds like someone else is in here. Doesn't feel like Xolenon is in any distress...well, guess I might as well go say hello.
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:47 pm

► Show Spoiler
Cassien seemed to relax instantly. He kept a hand raised, though he was less concerned with maintaining the spell now than he had been prior. Who "Xolenon" was wasn't guaranteed but the choice of wording in the thoughts, 'feel' hinted that it might be the second spider. That was interesting. Someone like Kast, perhaps? They didn't seem immediately dangerous, at least, and certainly not beyond reason.

"I think it is alright," the wiry young man told his companions, raising his voice only enough for them to hear. "They are this way, but they don't seem aggressive." He gestured with his free hand hand again, and sped up just a bit to catch up where he had begun to lag behind, "though, they do already know that we're here."

Which meant the individual was perceptive, if nothing else. Or had they actually made that much noise? This unknown fellow seemed quite like Kast already. Race had yet to be determined, however, or overall mindset... Cassien would stay wary, but a friendly approach (for now) seemed best.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:39 pm

Between the blundering movements of his companions and Cassien's assurance that they weren't under immediate danger, Kast gives up on sneaking about... something he never really enjoyed, and stands up slightly behind a tree.

"What business brings you here?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:18 pm

After a moment, a dun-skinned figure emerges from the underbrush - which is to say, the underbrush parts itself, then a figure steps out of it, not entirely managing to clear the hedge without damaging it a little (this explains the trail previously seen; he shares Kast's ability to slip through Nature without touching it, but exercises this power sloppily and with little skill). His barrel-like stature proves him to be a dwarf, but the rest of him hardly fits the typical image of that race; dressed in a grubby surcoat made of the hide of some sort of unfamiliar animal, his copper hair and beard are long, but rather than being immaculately groomed as most dwarves keep theirs, his mane is entirely unkempt, to the point of having several small sticks in it. The gauntlets of his armor hide his hands; a scimitar hangs from his belt, and several iron darts are thrust through a bandolier about his torso.

"Ah...and hello to all of you," the dwaor says, his tone cautious but open. "And nice to meet you too, Mr. Elf," he adds to Kast, politely refraining to mention the widely-held stereotype that (non-Wild) elves are generally far more pleasant company than (presumably non-Wild) dwarves. "I assume either you or your kinsman over there...come to think of it, pretty definitely you..." he adds, having apparently just noticed your cloak and kukri, "...is the companion of the female arach whom my Xolenon is trying to impress. Be advised that while I have not been bonded to him for long, I value him highly, and shall be quite cross if she eats him."
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:28 pm

"If she finds him unworthy to be anything but a meal, that is his failing. If you do not want to risk him, feel free to try to call him off."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:08 pm

Stormcrow makes his way up to Cassien and Kast, and sizes the dwarf up and down. However it seems the dwarf meets Stormcrow's approval, as he gives him a grin and a nod. The overall appearance (grubby, matted hair and hide armor) of both the dwarf and barbarian are not dissimilar, and this seems to resonate with Stormcrow.
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:02 pm

Eileen decides to address the dwarf in his native tounge. <And what son of what clan addresses us so? >
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:22 am

► Show Spoiler
The dwarf scowls a bit at Kast's comment, but lights up when he notices Eileen, even before she begins to speak his tongue. "Dosch kre'gre nal dumyatunn," he replies - "you honor me, most esteemed lady" - before switching back to Common. "My name is Ryritan; I was born to clan Purzel, but I chose to walk a different path, and foreswore my birth name to avoid any dishonor. I go by the surname Stonekenner now; few among humans and elves question the idea that a dwarf would want to have such a generic moniker." Whether because of her own studies or her Draconic Knowledge, Eileen recognizes Clan Purzel; their marble halls are famous for their beauty and stillness, but their government is infamously bureaucratic, and the common people are stereotyped as prone to apathy and over-sensitiveness, compared to the industrious and thick-skinned nature of the typical Muir, Iriqotsq, or Axelrod clansman. You might idly wonder whether he's ever met the heavily druidic Clan Bartholomew; he's definitely nothing like the fiery Lysoigor clan which (among one of its several divergent branches) inhabits the Bald Mountain near your home.
► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:54 am

Kast's scowl softens a bit at the dwarf''s similar tale of non-acceptance.

"If you and Xolenon have only been traveling together a short time, surely it was not your connection to him that caused you to leave your clan?"

Dwarven dishonor... bah. Fusa'l their dishonor. Fusa'l dishonoring family names. Fusa'l family too. It was his family that turned their backs on him, not the other way around.

"Kastrail S'lvarn...", he says grudgingly. "And that's Kzri.", gesturing above them.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:07 am

Kast's words echoed Cassien's curiosity. "Cassien Alderman." The human nodded and gestured toward himself, giving the others a chance to introduce themselves, as they saw fit.

► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:29 am

"Quinton Averdale, a pleasure to meet you."