Where Dragons Fear To Tread - Prologue

Home to all current Forum Games.
willpell
Banned

Re: Where Dragons Fear To Tread - Prologue

Post by willpell » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:18 am

spiderwrangler wrote:(The empathic link's range is line of sight... so yes, he'd need to be much closer for it to come on line. Frantic mental scrambling at this point. I think you'd been treating it as LOS needed, but not necessarily making eye contact for it to work, such that as long as they have a clear shot, communication was still possible if one or both have their back turned.)
(My figuring is that it's not really all that supernatural, just a general being "keyed in" to the creature's body language and stuff, developed through time spent together. The ability to actually send commands is clearly a cut above anything we could ever learn in real life, even if we had Tiny-sized spiders to practice on - and I think they do in fact get that big in South America and such - but in terms of perceiving her condition, I think it's more observational than telepathic.)
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:27 am

Seeing that the wood elf is distressed, Quinton flies with Kast, just in case.

Condition could be sent through empathic link. Like "pain/hurt" or "anger."

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:40 am

Zaks floats along behind/beside Kast as he treads quickly toward the forest in obvious distress. Zaks personally didn't care much for the oversized spider, though perhaps it was due to the way that the spider looked at him now and then, as if he were some small delicacy that it couldn't wait to try. He shivered involuntarily at the thought of becoming a spider snack. Secretly Zaks hoped that the spider was gone and Kast could finally learn to love a safer animal, like a pony. As his mind went through the list of acceptable mounts, he shuddered at the thought of the elf riding a horse. Zaks realized that perhaps the spider wasn't so bad, as there was nothing more ungodly than a horse, useful only to eat for food.

Zaks eyed the ghost suspiciously as it too tagged along behind Kast. Zaks made a mental note to keep an eye on the spectral person.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:11 pm

Eileen studies the situation, "I find this quite angering...But who in the hell wants a giant spider? Someone have any ability to track these...arachnoid bandits?"
She also takes the hat back from Cassian while saying this.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:28 pm

"Probably not keep, they would probably think of it as a monster and have her...end up like me."

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:07 pm

► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:19 pm

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:25 pm

► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:40 pm

► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:12 pm

It takes little time for Kast to arrive at where Kzri is perched among the tree branches, about ten feet off the ground; she's unharmed, but seems intent upon something. In little time, it becomes apparent why - there is another spider of comparable size some 60 feet away, and is displaying in a fashion calculated to capture her interest. It appears to be a courtship. Which might not bother you if you were back home, in an area of Transylvaine where these creatures are fairly commonplace - but you'd stake what little reputation you still have on the fact that there wasn't another "monstrous" spider in these woods when you arrived. Danger, for the moment, seems nonexistant, but a mystery remains - neither spider would have broken the undergrowth when making their way among the treetops, which means that someone else probably arrived with the male spider.
► Show Spoiler
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:37 pm

► Show Spoiler
Kast's attention shifts from Kzri, seeing she is safe and well able to take care of her self in this 'situation'. Instead he visually scans the underbrush for some humanoid interloper.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:49 pm

► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:54 am

(The conditions are mostly as you say - the trees are sturdy enough to support the weight of a couple of Large spiders, but still on the small side since they're so close to a cultivated area. If you are indeed casting that spell, let me know. Also, Spider, I'm assuming that you got to the area first - were you Moving Silently the whole way, or did you sacrifice stealth for speed? I don't need rolls, just a general statement of intent.)
My long-neglected blog.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:56 am

Quinton surveys the area around the male spider for anybody being there.

Search: 19

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:45 am

(Since the spider is 10 feet in the trees, I must rule that your Search check fails to detect anyone who might be on the ground, even if they are somewhere vaguely nearby.)
My long-neglected blog.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:38 am

The effort of keeping up with Kast while fighting off the effects of inebriation cause Stormcrow to take a knee while he recovers his co-ordination, but he still remains vigilant should anyone emerge.
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:13 am

willpell wrote:(Since the spider is 10 feet in the trees, I must rule that your Search check fails to detect anyone who might be on the ground, even if they are somewhere vaguely nearby.)
This does not make any sense. :? Searching includes looking at the ground. (Hell with my floating a bit higher I may see him/her easier)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:53 am

Speed over stealth, (not that he's all that good at moving silently). Kast would also be wanting to get a sense of Kzri's current state, through link or body language.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:02 am

Cautious but curious, Zaks floats upwards toward Kzri, though a good distance away, in order to see if she is in any way hurt or wounded.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:08 am

► Show Spoiler
Cassien slipped a copper piece from bag, and ran a thumb over the coin. He didn't need it anymore--not truly, but having a focus for a spell was sometimes a comfort, unnecessary or not. The wiry young man murmured something under his breath, voice slowly growing louder and more discernible as his eyes lit up with the telltale white glow of divination. The coin was gripped tightly now, and his gaze swept the area around them. Was anyone still there? Even if whatever sapient beings responsible had already left, perhaps he'd learn something from the remaining sentient creatures. The chant was ongoing, though as soft as he could manage without losing the spell entirely as his attention was slowly directed throughout the forest around them.

In the least, if all he found was spooked animals, he would be able to set Kast off in a more reliable direction to save time. Tracking was certainly more the elf's forte than his.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:47 pm

Zaks confirms that Kzri is undamaged. Kast confirms this as well, and verifies that she is definitely considering mating with the male (after all, it's been a while since she's encountered another of her kind). Reproduction is a "need" that arthropods understand quite well, prioritized either slightly below or slightly above feeding; they attach no ritual to the process, beyond what nature has ingrained in them - the male must prove he is not a grossly inferior specimen before he'll be permitted to fertilize her, but in the absence of any competition to choose among, he doesn't face an especially tough standard (beyond that of trying to deliver the spermatophore and then get away, without becoming a post-coital snack).
► Show Spoiler
In the first few moments, all you can confirm is that thought exists in the area before you. Eventually, you begin to make out distinct signals, the vast majority of them coming from small animals which are hiding from the spiders (or are so small that they don't identify the spiders as predators, since they wouldn't bother with such negligible prey - mice and chipmunks and stuff wouldn't even be worth the effort of trying to get your mandibles on them, but rabbits and on up are definitely in a state of panic, and either hiding or fleeing), but you do manage to get a fix on one person of mildly above-average intelligence. You have no idea where he is, beyond "within a 60-foot cone ahead".
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:54 pm

(Going to go ahead and continue this so that others can act fully. Though what int, since I'm meant to get the number?)

Picking up on a sapient individual, Cassien's brows furrowed, and his eyes narrowed as he tried to focus in on the area he'd noticed them. Were they responsible for the appearance of this new spider? They were close enough that it was possible, and the number of animals still fleeing hinted that the second spider hadn't been here for very long. Their thoughts would tell him more. For now, he couldn't discern anything else, though he let his free hand rise to point in the best direction he could judge.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:30 pm

Kast stalks forward in the direction Cassien indicates.
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:37 pm

Cassien determines that the detected mind is of noticeably, though not greatly, above-average intelligence (unless he's a Sun Elf, in which case he'd be flat-out ordinary by their standards). Does he plan on communicating any of the information he's obtained to the others?

(Haven't heard from Quarg in quite a while; everyone still here?)
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:43 pm

► Show Spoiler