The Island: OOC Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: The Island: OOC Thread

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:14 pm

And that is why you do not do anything illegal. At least until you have a lot of guile. And maybe Charlatan

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:22 pm

Actually since the mage was able to determine there was a connection, he might be able to tell more than that. If you are able to get a friendly response out of him then I'd suggest trying to get him to tell you more.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:55 pm

so, erm, how long do you guys want the rope to become?

Also, am I rolling really crappy, or why does it take this long for Kin to learn swimming? Is there some kind of exponential learning curve that makes it take the longer the more skills you already have or something?
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:34 am

@ Patdrgon:

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't tell the mage everything about your dream. I get the distinct impression that he just hasn't turned hostile/killed you YET, because you/Buttons have information he wants and keeping you/Buttons alive - for now - is most likely the easiest way to get it.

I could be wrong. But a little caution goes a long way at keeping us safe, and if he is indeed not our ally, wasting his time would be of MUCH interest to us, as in stalling him, at least until Treasure has dreamt, too. (You know, if we can't/won't be able to fight the mage/kill him. And with the whole 'walk across an entire ocean, I'm not sure we could, at least not without significant losses.)

You also didn't condition your action it in a way, if he tells you more about his intentions, but his intentions would be dangerous/harmful/... to us. Like if he reveals 'my intention is to kill all goblins', Buttons would still explain his dream in all detail to him.

And I would generally avoid anything that sounds like a question while talking to him, you might still be on a 'quid pro quo' basis.
Like the I" can tell you more about my dream if you want?" <- drop the question mark, if you please.
Or the "Lets jump to the heart of the matter shall we." <- doesn't have a question mark, but if you say "I suggest we jump to the heart of the matter.", that would more clearly NOT qualify as a question of yours.

I'm sorry if I am a PITA about this, and if you feel annoyed by me/this, please say so and I'll try to shut up. But after negotiations with Jack turned more than bad and cost most of us almost a whole day of hauling corpses for no good result (well, thank to ol' Mags it wasn't a complete waste, but still), I tend to be a bit more cautious.
► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:49 am

I was going to make a few changes a little later to be more precise so will take you notes on board so what you write is helpful not annoying (almost made a character called follows orders) ....however the dreams are all different and the tasks unknown so the only thing they have in common is our godly connection and the stones which i have not mentioned, hell at no point have i mentioned the other stones yet. I also do not know if i could in fact delay him for another 11/21 turns but i can try, however we have had 9 turns to prep for his arrival and so far we the only thing really done in defense is some extra Armour has been made/ getting mag blessing all well and good but we keep using it up because be have no defenses.

On an extra note when krig come back check his boat for the missing chest that was floating about in the last day, he might have picked it up.
Last edited by Patdragon on Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:50 am

I'm with Gathers on this.

Additionally I feel if he doesn't want to play this straight we end him. We don't want to waste another day because of a bad negotiation.

I figure we can just have mags silence him for a turn or two and it will be over.

Edit: also we don't want him messing with our last stone.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:59 am

Give him really vague answers. He does not tell anything about himself, so we should return the favour.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:16 am

GathersIngredients wrote:I'm sorry, but I wouldn't tell the mage everything about your dream. I get the distinct impression that he just hasn't turned hostile/killed you YET, because you/Buttons have information he wants and keeping you/Buttons alive - for now - is most likely the easiest way to get it.
I got the impression that he is after the power of the island. So long as we don't stand in the way of that I don't think he cares one way or the other about us. But if there is a catch like "in order to take the power for myself I need to kill the one previously bonded to it" then we may have problems. And it may not be so much power hungry as curious.

Tell him what you think is prudent but you might slip in "Our god told us the power was partially corrupted by an entity known as jack," you might be able to direct his aggression elsewhere. Or at least delay him for a while till we figure out how to deal with him. Other than that I agree with the others that you should keep things vague.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:20 am

Excellent point about Jack. Jack knows about the power and knows how to use it. Send him to Jack to ask questions. I'm sure it will go well.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:05 am

Now is your chance to tell him who is corrupting the magic. Jack os gonna get it now!

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:01 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Now is your chance to tell him who is corrupting the magic. Jack os gonna get it now!
This.

But don't let on we know for sure it is Jack.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:33 pm

yes will mention jack in next post.

Arch i know you want to get back to devistation and i dont want you passing through jacks area too often if not needed so on route can you nab the animate dead spell components I think were left there.
I say pick up a rock at the mine as well but i or write (as they are there) might be able to get that at the ladder by chipping of the stone there with a pick axe.

i plan on using krigs fire at the dead bodies so i dont have to make one, so all the stuff needs to head there. my guess is it'll take me max three turns to make a bowl and 2 turns to get there. so i only have 5 left to wrap up with the mage.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:08 am

What componets are needed? I will grab them before going to devistation.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:34 am

It appear i may be wrong i just checked obsidian portal and there is an update I missed with the items being at ex bottom ladder camp.

It appears the scroll, dried deathwort and obsidian orb are there, along with the to sacrifice monkeys.
-- treasure has the tears of sadness (in a coconut) in his inventory.
and i cannot see where the barrel of blood is anyone see it, i thought it might be the one at the ladder area but it if the portal is right it is empty/ has two ants? maybe we need more blood?

so just need to find the blood and make this stone bowl.

so if you have a free action nab a bowl sized stone from the mine entrance as that is where the majority of stone are please.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:14 am

The small barrel of dwarf blood should indeed still be at the ladder camp - there was an update around turn 103 that clarified the barrel situation, but I evidently didn't update the camp inventory on Obsidian Portal. Anyway, unless anyone finds the barrel in their inventory in the meantime, assume the blood-barrel is at the bottom of the ladder with the other spell components.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:33 am

So... what -is- our goal, anyways? I know survival is part of it, but other than that? Bind/awaken all the power stones to/with our members, and get the gem to Write. And then?
Aside from that I remember something about a treasure and that the humans/dwarves/... are after it, but I'm not sure if we are interested in the treasure ourselves, or if we could just let them find it, and not care.
If the humans etc. would take the treasure away from the island (and we could get rid of Jack somehow) we'd have a much easier time surviving, too, because then new adventurers and whatnot would stop coming, drawn like moths to the light. :shrug:

My guess is that ol' Mags may reveal more via his messenger once we got all the gems, but so far, I don't remember any 'higher' goals than 'don't get killed'.

@ Patdragon, while you're at it, ask Krig if he fished out any chest(s) that was/were) floating near the beach, please.
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:35 am

I'm pretty sure we are supposed to protect something on the island, which I assume is the treasure
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:57 am

I was thinking about asking him about the chest, but as he will be heading back your way with everything and unloading it your end you would see then,
so didn't think it was needed plus mentioning the chest at this point seem odd as button wouldn't want to try and open it in front of this guy anyway.

Would anyone else like to talk to him? is there anything we don't want him to see at this point? shall i suggest we go see my chief next turn, if someone else speaks i can carve out a bowl and maybe even play my flute to influence while someone else talks.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:04 am

Some information from the 1st Night is relevant:
write wrote:"Of course! Thank you... Will you be here to help me?"
messenger wrote:"Oh yes! You and I have much work to do together yet! Now, speaking of which, I have other business I must discuss with you. We don't have much time left tonight...

"Many generations ago, a warrior tribe inhabited this island and worshiped the gods of war. They did not know Maglubiyet by the names you call him, but they worshiped him nonetheless. In his honour, they built mighty temples and spilled the blood of their enemies and in return he blessed the tribe and gave them his protection. That protection such as it was, was channeled through the six Guardian Stones: the Mother, the Warrior, the Farmer, the Magus, the Smith and the Assassin. Each stone fulfilled a different purpose and together formed a powerful ward against those who would rise against the warrior folk.

"Unfortunately, as all mortal things tend to do, those people eventually faded from the world and all traces of their existence were slowly washed away by the tides of time. But magic endures where mortals do not! And yet it is a capricious thing, and when left to its own devices it can become... unruly. With no followers left, Maglubiyet could no longer control the magics he had wrought into the stone and they have become somewhat chaotic of late. Still, now you are here it shouldn't be an issue any more!

"If you wish to regain control of those magics, one of your kind must enter each stone, but they cannot pass in mortal form for they are too fragile to survive the journey. For your kind, the path lies through the dreamworld, as I'm sure they are discovering now... I cannot say what they will each find beyond the stone gates, but if you wish to restore the full power of the Guardian Stones, they must each make the journey and return victorious."
write wrote:"They? Are you saying I can't go?"
messenger wrote:"Your task in this will come later, little one. Have patience! Listen now, for there is something else you must know! Deep in the heart of this island lies an ancient treasure, which is more valuable than you can imagine. It has inflamed the hearts of your mortal brethren with greed and desire and will spell your death if any are allowed to claim it as their own. You must not allow it to be taken! Now, awaken little child! It is morning and your enemies are not far away... As your shadows vanish, look to the sea."

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:03 am

Patdragon wrote:Would anyone else like to talk to him? is there anything we don't want him to see at this point? shall i suggest we go see my chief next turn, if someone else speaks i can carve out a bowl and maybe even play my flute to influence while someone else talks.
We might not want him where an active dream is going on so maybe bring the chief to you instead. Also you may not want him near the unbound stone either. Other than that I don't think there are any other actions to avoid.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:10 pm

He's seeming a bit more friendly now in my view, but i'm tempted to lie about our number at least by one. If we can always keep silver away from him it might be useful for a sneak attack later if it all goes wrong, but may come back to bite us in the ass if we need every one for a big fight or just sleeping together in camp after all for healing.
View?
Potential issues -1. He stays with us and camps with us....I think unlikely but you never know. 2. if he is offended by anything he sees (he seems a little jaded so i doubt much will phase him) 3. It turns out we are the corruption of the stones and what was before was ok to him? 4. His goal was curiosity (FOR NOW) this may change in the future so we need to prepare for the inevitable betrayal... Tho for more now an allies would certainly help us. Plus if we see him battle our foes first we can see just what he can do. (if he can lightning down an airship in the future whoop-dee-doo)
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:24 am

You're gonna get bit Arch...

I'm okay with you lying to the mage Pat. He probably has been completely straight with us yet.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:06 am

@ Patdragon: I wouldn't lie to the mage. Maybe he has some way of telling whether or not you are. (Remember his wording "don't lie" before? That might as well have been some spell or the like. :shrug: ) But I also think that revealing our number is tactically... bad. Might come back to bite us, either way.

You could try to come over a little... confused, by answering something along the lines "Well, let me count. These two over there" point to the shackles goblin skeletons on the beach, "me, the Chief..." and hope he just get impatient and interrupts. And or ask something in return. Or point out that we're too little a number to effectively deal with Jack.
It wouldn't be lying and it wouldn't leave him any wiser.

Also, unless Krig drops in, I'm moving Kin so the creepy guy can meet her away from our dreamer for the day, but please someone stay with Shackled. How about you, Chuck/Treasure?

@ GM: didn't we build an altar out of some wood already? I think I remember us doing that and wanting to sacrifice some grass braids we also made there.

@ Burns: the dog still growled before. Better be careful.
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:07 am

Yea but half heartily, and it sit down to watch.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:07 am

GathersIngredients wrote:Also, unless Krig drops in, I'm moving Kin so the creepy guy can meet her away from our dreamer for the day, but please someone stay with Shackled. How about you, Chuck/Treasure?
I could but I really don't have anything to do in the area. I hate to twiddle my thumbs unless you can suggest something for me to do? Lift logs in hopes of gaining some sort of strength skill? I'm not sure if that is possible. Also, presuming shackled finishes his dream before night fall, I will need to head to the last stone before long. I might be able to help Krig if he needs help with something, but I'd rather not start and then have to bug out to the last stone mid project and leave him hanging.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10