Help with Geocaching puzzle

Home to all current Forum Games.
Synch
Game Master

Re: Help with Geocaching puzzle

Post by Synch » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:56 pm

(Apologies for the double-post)

I can't seem to get it to work Davecom, any ideas?
I'm using the download from here: https://www.fourmilab.ch/codegroup/

I've placed the encoded puzzle into a .txt file, then run the codegroup .exe and entered:

codegroup -d [-u] [code.txt[code2.txt]]

which works, and spits out ZZZZZ YGDGP GEGFG HHCGP HFHAC ACNGE CAFLC NHFFN CAFLG DGPGE

However this is much shorter than the original encrypted puzzle. I presume it's been double-encoded and I need to decode it again, but decoding the above mentioned results produces nothing of use :(

What am I doing wrong?
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:25 pm

What was the status return on codegroup?
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:45 pm

Quarg wrote:
WearsHats wrote:You mean like this one?
No I was referring to the actual machine logic turring himself built to test multiple possible settings...

edit: Actually there are British Bombe simulators available but most rely on having a crib or a set of plain text likely to correspond to a message to determine the wheel settings... >:?
I'm not sure what functionality the one I linked to actually provides. The description looked promising, but I'm on my phone. I knew there'd be some simulator out there.

The cache instructions say you'll have to use historical techniques. Well, when Enigma was cracked, much of the code work was brute force. Run through different wheel settings until you see real words. The bad news is I don't have a room full of Polish women willing to spend all day doing that. The good news is that I'm pretty sure my phone has more memory and processing power than the sum total of all computers on Earth in Turing's day.

What you really need is a script that runs the code through the simulator at successive wheel settings, then returns the results that have at least, say, three known dictionary words. It should be possible. And it shouldn't take that long if you assume a three wheel model.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:12 pm

Quarg wrote:What was the status return on codegroup?
No status return, I'll take a screenshot...

WearsHats wrote:I'm not sure what functionality the one I linked to actually provides. The description looked promising, but I'm on my phone. I knew there'd be some simulator out there.
Java isn't letting me run it at work. The script you're talking about to decode is the codegroup.zip the others are talking about.
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:15 pm

And I was suggesting using a Turing Bombe simulator which is what turing used to break the code rather than an actual enigma machine when we don't know the wheel settings etc...

what does it say in the actual return file?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:38 am

I don't think Its producing a return file.
► Show Spoiler

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:41 am

WearsHats wrote:What you really need is a script that runs the code through the simulator at successive wheel settings, then returns the results that have at least, say, three known dictionary words. It should be possible. And it shouldn't take that long if you assume a three wheel model.
But it might be four or five wheel model with a plugboard. You can not brute force a plugboard setting without additional info in any conceivable time.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:56 pm

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong with this software? See screenshot above, no return file.
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:52 pm

I don't think your doing anything wrong...I think your trying to use the wrong software...that is a binary to alpha code tool...I still don't understand why it was suggested...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:00 pm

Yes but if its a 5-letter code group, shouldn't codegroup.zip be decoding it to binary at least?
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:14 pm

Try decoding the binary example on the web page...
Also try doing it without the [-u] component

edit: Quoteing the people supplying the puzzle
Bletchley Park is an estate located in the town of Bletchley, in Buckinghamshire, England. During World War II, Bletchley Park was the site of the United Kingdom's main decryption establishment, the Government Code and Cypher School (GC&CS), where ciphers and codes of several Axis countries were decrypted, most importantly the ciphers generated by the German Enigma and Lorenz machines. It also housed Station X, a secret radio intercept station. Although interception was soon moved to a location with better reception, the name persisted for the Bletchley Park wartime activities.

This cache is dedicated to the women and men who worked secretly at Bletchley Park during World War II deciphering German messages encrypted using the famous Enigma machine.

In order to crack this one, you will need to employ techniques they used at Bletchley Park. You'll probably have to do a bit of research - there is at least one very good site on the internet that takes you through some increasingly difficult deciphering exercises. You might want to start there.

That's about all we can say about this puzzle, but it is definitely deserving of it's 5 star difficulty. No hints will be given, publicly or privately, other than to say that the cache is not hidden at the published coordinates and that the message below contains the coordinates and a hint to the hide.
So the cache is dedicated to people working on decoding the Engima code
You must use the same techniuqes used at Bletchley Park...
Aka cribs and a Turring Bombe....

Dave based his recommendation on generating a five Alpha code today...not what people were doing in 1940...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:41 pm

Ok well that just seems impossible then! So many possibles.
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:22 am

Synch wrote:Ok well that just seems impossible then! So many possibles.

I think someone suggested what the crib was supposed to be...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:47 am

I did solve some enigma riddle while geocaching, but none were as brute-force as this. Some infos were there, sometimes the rotor, sometimes part of the key or final message. But this...nothing but a long text block.
:zzz: