Re: Trinity Isles OOC

Post by Natrivv » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:59 pm

ok, didn't think so, but my memory isn't the best lol

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:07 am

Would Bruce know about him?
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:09 am

Bruce would know Angstrom as the leader of the red hand, yeah. Although if he'd "know" know him, probably not. I'll send you another pm with some info on that.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:47 am

...Damnit, Natrivv. You weren't supposed to figure this out before the dramatic reveal! :roll:

Guess this is the part where I'll have to kill her for knowing too much.

Also I just found something, and, well...

Is this you, Dave?

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:48 am

lol, oops to much drama though.

I would be willing to more with Dave, but I've met rocks less thick...

Also I think I found an "evil" cheerleader concept. Cheerleader/hex maniac/musician

They sing peppy songs that are actually cursing people but because it's in a foreign language no one realizes that they're actually singing "may your wife die and get broken legs so I can be with you instead."

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:36 am

Yeah, I'm finding there's only so much good you can do with supporting classes, though... I think you got some nice synergy going on right now with Irene, and sage + cheerleader. In the end, though, comes the point that you're still limited by action economy, and there's only so much you can do... Or have it be useless as I made a cheerleader/dancer combo without really thinking, until I realized I made a character that for sure can buff itself up massively, and then not have anything to use it with. :lol:

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:43 am

yeah commanders voice is a must have for cheerleader lol I'm also thinking of going after multi-tasking but between random things like paleotonolgy, confide, and dynaism I've already spread myself thin

but yeah multi-tasking + commander's voice on cheerleader would be bad.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:17 am

M0rtimer wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:36 am Yeah, I'm finding there's only so much good you can do with supporting classes, though... I think you got some nice synergy going on right now with Irene, and sage + cheerleader. In the end, though, comes the point that you're still limited by action economy, and there's only so much you can do... Or have it be useless as I made a cheerleader/dancer combo without really thinking, until I realized I made a character that for sure can buff itself up massively, and then not have anything to use it with. :lol:
Well clearly you need to give them something to do with all those buffs. :p
On a more serious front, classes which give buffs without using Standard Actions (So, ones which give Abilities or use Free or Shift actions, like Skirmisher letting you exchange your Shift for a temporary +3 evasion), and classes which can put the buffs to use actually work quite well with one buffer class like Dancer.

As an example, pretty much half the badass-itude of the following comes from Dancer:
► Show Spoiler
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:39 am

The max evasion is 9 I think? Evasion 12 is a bit much.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:49 am

You can only have a maximum of +9 evasion, btw.
Page 234, Combat Stats, last paragraph wrote:No matter from which sources you receive Evasion, you
may only raise a Move’s Accuracy Check by a max of +9.
It's still a lot, but AC 2 moves are still hitting you 50% of the time. Evasion builds are also vulnerable to the, well, Vulnerable condition, which reduces your Evasion to 0 temporarily. There's also Smite moves to consider.

All that should roughly balance out though. You get your damage mitigation by avoiding basically half of all attacks thrown at you, but it is less reliable than straight Defenses and Damage Reduction

I'd imagine Dancer would pair well with Fortress, actually. You spend your Standard buffing your own defenses, then, with Defender, you spend your Shift to Intercept one attack a round. Also you have a shield with a Swift action to ready it, granting more evasion and DR. Combining the boosted defenses, DR, and evasion of Dancer and Fortress, along with crit-negation from Battle Armor and access to Protect, would really make a character tough to bring down. And that's just 2 classes.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:59 am

+6 Evasion from stats, and +9 Evasion total. It's still a cool idea though.

And I know it's not as impressive as the stuff you guys are talking about, but can I just say how happy I am with Izzy's support build at the moment? With Agility Training, Agility Orders, Celerity, and Tailwind, she can give most of her Pokemon +18 Initiative at the cost of some set-up, 2AP Bound, and one Swift Action a turn. +19 once I get Master Acrobatics or Perception.

Even Fern will be able to outspeed everything at this rate, and she's the slowest thing ever :lol:

But yeah, super glad I picked Commander's Voice all those levels ago. It's definitely the go-to Feat if you're planning on doing any Orders regularly.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:02 am

*Takes notes* >:D

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:04 am

M0rtimer wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:36 am Or have it be useless as I made a cheerleader/dancer combo without really thinking, until I realized I made a character that for sure can buff itself up massively, and then not have anything to use it with. :lol:
I was wondering why she hadn't really done anything in the fight :lol:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:13 pm

Huh. I'd checked what the max the bonus evasion could go to, but didn't noticed the overall cap at 9. Well, doesn't really make much difference.

As for Izzy's build, Dusk, you don't need to worry about impressive. I'm pretty sure any build is more impressive than Alex.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:20 pm

Haley's build isn't very impressive either! She can't even do combat.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:26 pm

Dlover wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:13 pm Huh. I'd checked what the max the bonus evasion could go to, but didn't noticed the overall cap at 9. Well, doesn't really make much difference.

As for Izzy's build, Dusk, you don't need to worry about impressive. I'm pretty sure any build is more impressive than Alex.
Yeah. Bruce is my attempt at an actually decent build. It's kind of working. I really like the pokemon I chose. And, once I get a little more used to my feats (and gain a few more levels for some of the max-level feats) I think he might be somewhat decent.

My next character idea is completely un-minmaxed, though should be fun to play.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:41 am

I'll be completely honest in that honestly, I'm pretty bad at building "good" builds, much less "optimal" builds... I probably can if I put some proper thought on testing behind it, but if I just "wing" it... Yeah, dancer/cheerleader sounds like a good combo until it's put in effect. :roll: On closer inspection, it's actually pretty obvious dancer is only really useful if it's also coupled with some manner of combat class- Although, at least, her pokemon get a couple dances too, and she's more defensive... Right? :roll:

Also I've got a question... It's more of a general question and not exactly prompted by anything. (Seriously though, it's not. At least, not in particular.) I think I've talked about it in the past, if only in the sense in that I was "reminding" you guys that it's something that totally exists and it's your "responsibility" to use when you think it's warranted. Basically, talking about when an intuition roll is warranted.

It's not something I really want to ask for, because while I could occasionally throw it at you guys even when it's completely unnecessary, any time I do ask it could be a potential "This guy is either lying or at least withholding some information" signal. And having you guys be responsible for it is not ideal either, because not only are you liable to forget, sometimes you don't even know it could be warranted. Either I make it obvious through context that you could/should roll it, but that's pulling potential responsibility to me as I make things either too obvious/not obvious enough. (And how would guile factor in? Would I have someone with high guile act as if there was nothing shifty at all going on, even as they lie through their teeth..?)

Asking about it somewhere though someone had the idea that rather than ask for it, I could just do the rolls myself behind the screen- Whenever there'd be a situation where a character lies or withholds information, I just do the rolls myself... And immediately let know what your character would think based on that.

What do you guys think..?

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:18 am

Sounds like a good idea to me. Even better because we wouldn't have the meta knowledge of our characters rolling terribly, so we'd have to actually base our reactions as if it was real intuition.

I.e. My character thinks this guy is trustworthy, so guess I've gotta trust him :roll:

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:54 am

I guess that's fine. We generally roll ourselves if we feel suspicious of someone. If we end up not rolling since we don't suspect anything, but the GM thinks something is up, then the GM can roll behind the scenes as a 'passive intuition' check.

Only thing there is we might not be able to apply that +1 AP bonus, +2/1d6 in Koa's case, which might sometimes be relevant. Though I guess we can't spend action points on something when we don't suspect anything is amiss. :shifty:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:57 am

An alternative I heard is to do a slightly more liberal "passive" intuition check- And if that matches, I ask to make an active intuition check to see if they can figure out more/exactly what might be up. But generally, matching the "passive" check would mean you were aware at least something was up, and then could use an active check to try and figure out more... Is he flat out lying? Is he not saying the whole truth? Is he being forced into doing this..? That could be a potential option. I do kind of like the idea that you have no idea how good your intuition is, but I can also see how it could be potentially problematic.

To be fair, though, I don't think I actively have many/any characters that have been flat out lying against the PC's without it being obvious there was something amiss. Just not telling everything, probably a bit more... This story is already convoluted enough without also needing to worry that you might just be fed wrongful information :P

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:26 am

Passive intuition sounds good. Like, maybe take whatever the DC would've been, divide it by 6, choose either rounding up or down to use every time, then compare that to the Intuition ranks of the people involved. Guile ranks can influence the passive DC, maybe like increasing it by 1 for every 2 or 3 ranks in guile. That way somebody with really good guile will go by unnoticed by most, but doesn't outright require someone have maxed out intuition to pick up that something's not quite right.

So, if it were a DC12 to work out what's off, somebody with at least 2 ranks in Intuition would recognise something's wrong, but they'd have almost no chance of actually working out what it is. Though looking at that, maybe dividing by 6 is too extreme.
My game:

My characters:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:05 pm

So... What is the consensus? :p

Also forgot to mention ic but Irene can roll athletics or acrobatics to try and break out the grapple.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:11 pm

I hope you're not asking because Garnet's trying to sneak something past Koa. He's already used Intuition on her like 3 times :lol:

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:52 pm

I like the passive intuition idea. It seems to make sense that characters wouldn't constantly be actively looking out for things that are wrong unless they are already in a weird situation, and what we consider as a strange situation as a player is kind of weird.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:20 pm

So this is probably a bit late notice to do it in the update I'm making right now, still, but I'll take a substitute action from Drake because I can't recall if he gave me one over discord assuming he didn't get around to it. :roll:

Also, on the passive intuition idea, guess I'll be implementing that, then... And no, there's no actual trigger for it like I said before. Honestly. :P

...Okay fine I did stumble on this and been listening to it shut up stop judging me. :roll: