Trinity Isles OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: Trinity Isles OOC

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:35 am

I wasn't even considering trying to balance existing Pokemon exp yet... I was mostly considering how to deal with it toward the future - Though I suppose we ought to see how to balance existing Pokemon too if that seems like it might be an issue?

What's the current highest trainer level among you guys, by the way?

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:42 am

I think it's Haley. She was level 13, now level 14 (I got glitched existence) with the level. ...I think it's because I like to collect pokemons and maybe because she inherited James' exp/milestones?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:43 am

So that's 14 after the "Not yet officially awarded milestone" right?

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:32 am

The current highest level, pre-tower battle, would be Koa at level 13 (and I guess Haley, too?). So if everyone's brought up to speed then everyone should be 14 after the battle, yes.

We did get xp for the University battle, here

And Izzy and co. got xp for the Power Station battle, here

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:02 am

M0rtimer wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:43 am So that's 14 after the "Not yet officially awarded milestone" right?
That is correct.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:14 am

So been working on tallying up EXP, shouldn't be too hard... Though, given recently broached subjects, I'm thinking of reconsidering my approach. So, we're bringing trainer exp in line, and we are thinking of bringing pokemon exp more into line as well... Perhaps rather than simply awarding exp, we should do something to address this now?

What I'd be thinking of doing concretely is look to see what the average levels of Pokemon are and, based on that, allow something along the lines of this: Level one pokemon to level 40, 2 to 30, any that are not yet 25 to 25-

I'd need a look at what the overall levels are first, of course. That, and, I'm pretty sure there are a couple of high level outliers I'd need to consider too. I think there are a couple of outliers of captures of lvl 50 pokemon, and it might be a bit of a jump to say everyone can level one Pokemon to that... I'd have to do something along the lines of saying that such a mon would take up your highest level slot or something.

Anyway, getting a bit off track. I mostly just wanted to ask your guys opinion on doing this right now to try and bring Pokemon levels to a bigger balance... And the exact "hows" can be left up for discussion.

That would then mean we might still need to consider how we'd balance this toward the future, but at least we'd have a balanced start?

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:29 pm

Hmmm...I am not sure. 10 levels (or more) between highest mon and second highest mon would make a huge difference, espesially since many pokemon would fully evolve around 30-40 mark. Maybe 1 lv 40, 1 or 2 lv 35, 1 or two level 30 and rest 25?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:36 pm

Yeah, the exact "how" would need some debating - Though for now I can assume that is at least one vote in favor?

It's far from a perfect solution, because we'd still need to consider how we deal with future pokemon exp/captures, too. Captures mostly I think would be a potential issue.

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:46 pm

I dunno yet? One mon I captured bit never used is lv 30. I think pokemon level wise that the levels in the future maybe giving out a set amount of levels the pokemon in your party get (like giving out 2 levels per mon, or 12 to distrubite however you like within the party kinda like milestones? Or 1/2 level for trainer battles? I dunno....

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:46 pm

Can I vote half-and-half? I don't think the levels of our main team are an issue, but I wouldn't mind bringing all our weaker pokemon up to a common baseline :shifty:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:05 pm

That's a fair enough opinion, too. Everyone else?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:44 pm

I'd be for that. Might stop me from just loading everything onto my main three.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:36 am

So I agree that averaging out the Pokemon levels would be good, but mainly to pull the players with the lowest levels up to meet those of us with more powerful teams.

I've pulled together all the Levels data for each Trainer below (including Drake, though I think Theis isn't playing anymore?)

Pokemon Stats
► Show Spoiler
No idea how we'd balance things in the future (other than getting Bruce more Pokemon).

EDIT: Realised I messed up the calculation for Average Party Level. The conclusion doesn't change, but it does make Bruce a little less of an outlier.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:44 am

I'd guess that the key cause for the difference in average levels comes from what sort of level most of the pokemon someone caught have been, and how much they level those captures up. Catching a few low-level pokemon for trainer levels and not intending to use them would naturally bring the average down. The Average Party value is probably the best comparison.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:00 am

Thanks for the oversight Dusk! That helps a lot.

Well, gained pokemon exp I think could be solved pretty easy. Just share that among everyone too. But I'm not sure how I'd best deal with someone capturing a lvl 60 pokemon for example...

...Well, I could just do what the games do, and what Izzy will probably experience with that honchkrow she captured - They might just not properly listen unless you can command them and/or the rest of your party catches up?

As for my initial description, yeah, hadn't actually checked yet, just going at it based on a guess... I agree your own proposal would be better. :)

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:40 am

Haley has a looooot of pokemon, and her main 6 changes depending on things. She kinda has more of a main 7 or 8. One of pure grass and one that is more..mixed

Pure grass team: Cushion, Willow, Buttercup, Acorn, Amber, Crawlily/Grass Steelix

Mixed team: Cushion, Willow, Buttercup, Amber, Jackie, Archie

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:47 am

Dlover wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:44 am I'd guess that the key cause for the difference in average levels comes from what sort of level most of the pokemon someone caught have been, and how much they level those captures up. Catching a few low-level pokemon for trainer levels and not intending to use them would naturally bring the average down. The Average Party value is probably the best comparison.
Average Party has its problems too - for example, the Ultra Beasts/Legendaries/Shadow Pokemon we caught skew things for certain Trainers. Especially in my/Izzy's case, as I can't use the Shadow Honchkrow I caught safely yet and he's taking up my Lv40 slot. If you don't account for him, my actual Average Party value is more on par with Alex/Bjorn instead of Bruce/Haley. And it drops to the lowest among us after the level balancing is done.

Similarly Haley's is also skewed heavily by Genesect, and I'm not sure how much she can really use him/her/it yet?
M0rtimer wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:00 am Well, gained pokemon exp I think could be solved pretty easy. Just share that among everyone too. But I'm not sure how I'd best deal with someone capturing a lvl 60 pokemon for example...

...Well, I could just do what the games do, and what Izzy will probably experience with that honchkrow she captured - They might just not properly listen unless you can command them and/or the rest of your party catches up?
That all seems fair to me. Don't want any of us catching a Lv70 Dragonite or Entei by accident and having full control over it :lol:
The Lost wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:40 am Haley has a looooot of pokemon, and her main 6 changes depending on things. She kinda has more of a main 7 or 8. One of pure grass and one that is more..mixed

Pure grass team: Cushion, Willow, Buttercup, Acorn, Amber, Crawlily/Grass Steelix

Mixed team: Cushion, Willow, Buttercup, Amber, Jackie, Archie
Yeah, to keep things simple I kinda assumed "highest level" = "main team", but that's obviously not true for all of us. It's definitely not for Izzy - I have 12 Pokemon, and I have used/plan to use all of them fairly equally. Hence why I have nothing below Lv20, and most of them are Lv25+ already. I gain the least out of the level balancing options proposed by far.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:31 am

M0rtimer wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:00 am...Well, I could just do what the games do, and what Izzy will probably experience with that honchkrow she captured - They might just not properly listen unless you can command them and/or the rest of your party catches up?
You tried that once with my Skarmory, and that one wound up being subdued by sheer force of will. I think it was Command checks for each command given?
Dusk9 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:47 am... more on par with Alex/Bjorn ...
:lol: It can be kind of funny to think of Alex's team as being relatively low-level, but that's because I keep forgetting about the existence of the weaker members and basically just throw Roy at everything. I guess when all you've got a hammer, every problem looks like a nail, and Roy is a really good hammer.
My game:

My characters:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:35 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSR4-_X5LMU

For those of you who have no idea what this is. I'm not giving context.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:38 am

Ah yes, Zillyhoo... Such a stupid thing. As were most of John's creations... Or actually most of all their creations.
My game:

My characters:

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:42 am

Actually I was going to have the Geneset to be at the fairy temple to help protect it, as Haley doesn't think she's yet earned the right to tell it what to do. ....Hell I don't think I've earned it. Genesect will still keep the ball so that it can heal easily at the temple and no one would be able to capture it.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:01 am

Yeah, I never saw you using it in fights so thought that you might be doing something like that.

In which case, if Mort wants to allow it, I'd personally be fine with you not counting Genesect as one of your Pokemon for the level balancing thing. Doesn't seem fair to count that as your highest level Pokemon when you aren't going to be using it.
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:10 am

Haley has been committing enough to that for me to allow that yeah.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:31 pm

It seems everyone is in agreement then. Well, we're yet to hear from some members, but so far it has been supported so let's hereby make it official:

Everyone gains Milestone: Survived the storm, and is hereby level 14 if they were not yet that level!
Everyone may level up their pokemon following these rules:

Have pokemon with at LEAST these levels:
1 lvl 40
2 lvl 35
3 lvl 30
All others 25

(Haley may ignore Genesect for this purpose, and Izzy can ignore the Honchkrow. As may others with approval, if they can defend the pokemon not yet being used.)

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:19 pm

Can I also ignore the mametric? I never have used it.

Anyways if approved: Cushion: lv 40 Willow: level 35 Amber: lv 35, Buttercup (already lv 30), Jackie (already lv 30), Archie: lv 30
Last edited by The Lost on Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.