Trinity Isles OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Re: Trinity Isles OOC

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:53 am

Yeah the more I think about this scenario, the more I just don't think it can work in a way that I'd be satisfied. It'd be either present an inaccurate picture of what's actually happening, leading to characters acting in ways that wouldn't make sense in the moment, or have the GM arbitrarily define what your character remembers and disallowing them from acting on what just happened to them moments ago. Either way it feels like a mild violation of player autonomy.

I'll go along with it, of course. But yeah, it's just kind-of annoying, imo.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:29 pm

Messing with character memories is tricky, especially if there isn't a clear cut-off. Wiping their memory is probably easier - you can just say that they don't remember anything between points X and Y.

The only way I can see of making the current situation work for everyone is to have Mort do two halves to an update every time someone's memory is being affected. One update that shows the Real Version, and one that shows their Memory Version. For example;
Irene (Real)

The Regifae teleports you to your lost mother.

Irene (Memory)

The weird lady teleports you to an empty, abandoned warehouse.
Players would respond to the Real version, but reference back to the Memory in subsequent turns (with Mort saying when the cut-off point where Memory overrode Reality was - e.g. when Irene came through the portal).

Then it would be a case of Mort just saying "Koa only remembers Irene's Memory info from the text" i.e. that she was in an abandoned warehouse, and they used the staff to fetch her back.

Downside is this makes a little extra work for the GM, but I'm sure Mort could handle it :P

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:37 pm

Kind of already did something similar with explaining what they'd remember after the focus checks... You're right in that would be the most obvious way to make clear, though.

And yeah, I can get it's not your favorite thing- It's why I'm trying to be as clear as possible on the "rules" of what gets forgotten and what doesn't. Consider it a challenge how you can use that to try and outsmart me. :P

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:06 pm

I don't understand why it has to be a thing. You probably could have had a similar plot thread without altering memories.

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:12 am

While taking away player agency is a taboo, and typically a bad choice...

I sort of like it. For me it's always felt a bit weird how in a world where deities could literally alter the flow of time, create new dimensions, cause volcanoes to erupt, but in the face of 10 year old children become powerless. So story wise, I like there's something beyond our control, though I am in the minority about this.

The only thing needed is there's a lack of clarity between what actually happened and what our characters remember... or is that just me?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:29 am

Yeah, I should probably find a way to better clarify how it works for the future- I'll probably adapt Dusk's suggestion in the future should it be relevant. In the meantime, you can always ask.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:32 am

How close is Nate to Isabella? And how close is Atom to her? I'm wondering if Nate could swoop in and Teleport her behind Atom, away from Betty.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:39 am

teleport behind Atom, definitely, being able to reach her in one round... Nate would have stayed up on the platform last round, right? Probably would still be like, lets' say, 18 meters distance between them, then.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:07 am

Nah, he flew down and attacked the Goomy.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:12 am

The Goomy was still up on the higher platforms though, coming down from all the way over on the other side- So that measurement seems about right. :P

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:10 pm

Oh, I thought the Goomy was running across the inside of the arena. Nevermind then.

New plan: how close is Izzy to Isabella?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:18 pm

Let's say... 10 meters.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:54 pm

"Okay, it's over! You win! Now, do you want to help us beat up the people who tried to interrupt your fight, maybe?"
"Yeah! Get that fuck down here!" she yells, while pointing up to Drake who had debuffed her last round... :lol:

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:20 pm

I mean, as long as it gets her off Isabella...? :lol:

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:43 am

Thanks a lot Izzy! Remind me to have Drake exact retribution later!
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:25 pm

Heads up made an edit asking for a roll for Koa Bruce and Irene.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:33 pm

Is this a new scene yet?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:23 am

Yeah, it'd be a new scene for you guys now.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:33 am

Dlover wrote:I get that most of my pokemon are overlevelled for this, but this luck has just been insane. I should've taken the level 30 challenge at this rate. >.>
That's what I thought! Then I saw Vader take it, and realised I'd probably not have been as lucky as he was :lol:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:59 am

Yeah, lvl 30 is where I intend to start taking off the kiddie gloves... :roll: Wondering if the three injuries + pain resistance combo is perhaps a bit "too" strong for it... Though I think it mostly turned out alright for what I wanted to achieve? Jack is a bit of a, what'd be the proper word for it... High power, low endurance kind of fighter. Those defensive capabilities are annoying because they have the power to completely negate shots that would otherwise be devastating, but they're oh so limited in use- And once you break through, most of his pokemon can be taken down relatively quickly. Or that's the base idea, at least. :P

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:01 am

Oh, and double post, but:
Reusing the unused Metal Claw roll from before. Let me know if you want a new roll. Also, Betty doesn't have any Pokemon out, does she?
She doesn't (Mawile got Ko'd by Sylph but I forgot to mention it), but she has only released three pokemon just as well.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:08 am

Yeaaah, Lady Luck probably wouldn't have carried me through that one. Only two pokemon in the level range, and expecting a solid counter to Fighting, I'd have been utterly screwed.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:12 am

Oh yeah, Jack negating attacks like that is basically him manipulating the action economy in his favor. Like, that's 6 attacks of yours that are basically erased, so if he's hitting back just as much as you are then you're in trouble.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:12 am

Resistance is VERY powerful. Main reason why a couple of my mons have counter. So he not only hits hard, but also is tanky which means it is very dangerous.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:27 am

Oh, ALSO- If any of Koa, Irene, or Bruce want to have any more comments towards Jack or on the summoner situation, you can still comment on that before moving on towards the academy... I expect that the former could be dealt with no issues. Assuming nothing else is to be said, Jack will take the KO'd grunts, admin, and summoner with him.