Trinity Isles OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: Trinity Isles OOC

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:31 pm

Though I'm afraid we're not going to be getting there.

I'm making the hard decision to put down the game. It's really been a culmination of things to lead me to make the final decision and to get to this state. I mostly blame myself however. Partly for reasons I admittedly couldn't do much about. Life getting busier over the years meant I couldn't update as frequently as I liked, and infrequent updates leads to infrequent posts. But I certainly do have to take the blame for a couple more mechanical decisions I have taken that ultimately lead to less interest.

I do want to tie a proper bow around things still, however. That could still change depending on your guys input. If you'd like, we can try and do a sort of fast-forward, abridged deal. Moving between keypoints that are to happen, and leaving you guys with the decision of where to go from there. I'll likely try to do it in the form of short stories... And we'll also presume that you guys would succeed at any risky endeavors.

Barring there's no interest in that, I will make a master post that'll go over the unsolved mysteries, and will also briefly discuss what could have been possible outcomes from this story. Something I want to do regardless, if only out of a personal desire.

On that last note, and a bit off-topic, I plan to do something similar for Threads of Reality too. I realize there is little interest in that still happening, but it's a personal desire.

Sorry for bringing the news to all of you who were still enjoying this. I hope it's understood.

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:21 pm

That's a shame. What mechanical decisions did you regret?

Maybe we can do the short stories thing?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:31 pm

It's unfortunate to end, but when you can't continue you can't continue. I don't really care about how we do the wrap-up, personally.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:08 am

The Lost wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:21 pm That's a shame. What mechanical decisions did you regret?
There's many little things that make one big whole. I suppose overall it's the method of overall play. It was a bit much for the general play, but that's how I wanted to do things; even if it was perhaps not the best for overall enjoyment. (On the other hand, it's what I believe I'm best at, so perhaps it was just mismatching expectations.)

As a more recent example however, it was quickly becoming obvious the last big battle was dragging on for way longer than it should have. I probably should have tried to find some way to hurry it up.

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:46 pm

Hmm.. There were two boss battles either one after another, with a small battle between which lengthened the last chapter quite a bit.

I was excited with the possiblity of reforming zygarde from the cube.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:47 pm

This is sad to here, but I definitely understand how life can get in the way, and a game this big and long is a huge undertaking. I know I was far from the most active member of the game, but I really enjoyed it, and was looking forward to developing Bruce more. While the game was going on I really enjoyed it, and the world you created.

As for the wrap up, I would definitely appreciate anything you give us. Short stories would be cool, but might be a lot of work for you. I would be totally fine with a master post if that is easier for you.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:34 am

Hm! Unfortunate, but I kinda saw it coming. It was loads of fun while it lasted, though.

And while I appreciate the want to wrap things up and give closure to this nearly 7-year journey, I wouldn't want that to be a burden on you - it's ultimately up to you how you want to end this.

What did you have in mind for the 'short story' idea specifically? I assume we'd be done playing the game proper, and it'd be more that we flash forward to these specific key points, say what we want to do, and then you give an overview of what happens before moving to the next key point, something like that? Correct me if I'm wrong.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:00 pm

What did you have in mind for the 'short story' idea specifically? I assume we'd be done playing the game proper, and it'd be more that we flash forward to these specific key points, say what we want to do, and then you give an overview of what happens before moving to the next key point, something like that? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Basically, yes. When I do have the proper time to post, I usually have a decent chunk of it - So I'd expect it to be maybe a weekly thing, but that would be one way to still get a proper ending of sorts, with the input to get there.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:24 am

As an addendum to the last point, it would also still mean you have some agency of where you want to go. The current plan was to head to that "secret" Godslayer base and pass a couple gyms on the way, but you could adjust course still depending on things that may or may not happen. The only thing to keep in mind is that saying you want to go to the desert for example to catch X pokemon, will make little sense when you likely won't get a chance to use it. Now if instead you want to go to the desert to try and find some kind of artifact... :)

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:10 pm

Yeah, that all sounds fine to me.

Current goal is to head for Hamachi, right, where the base is supposed to be?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:16 pm

SuperVaderMan wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:10 pm Yeah, that all sounds fine to me.

Current goal is to head for Hamachi, right, where the base is supposed to be?
Yes. You're passing by Hantu, and some stuff will be happening there; but from there on out the idea was to take a boat straight to Hamachi. (Or stop by the grass city on the south side of the island en route? Doing so may trigger some event, though mostly it could be presumed to be a "grab badge" checkpoint.)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:02 pm

Alright, I decided there seems to be enough interest to at least try this. So, I've put an example of the first of these kinds of posts on the main thread. I believe there is a pretty simple question being asked near the end, and I'd like a group consensus and/or vote as to how this should be dealt with.

Of course, I expect there may be questions still, or particular actions that want to be taken. Generally, I feel like I'll try to answer questions OOCly, unless I feel like some actions being taken would warrant moving to the next story part. If that makes sense.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:01 pm

Wow, that is a very big wall of text.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:25 am

No worries about ending the game early - I've been in exactly the same position too many times already :lol:

I'm happy with us wrapping up the story by jumping through the main plot points. It does feel like any mechanical issues we were having (i.e. long battles) would have just got worse as we reached higher levels with more pokemon/hp on the field. Especially with so many players. Throw in your real life commitments, and yeah, it probably would've been at least 10+ years IRL before we reached the final battle.
► Show Spoiler
M0rtimer wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:31 pm On that last note, and a bit off-topic, I plan to do something similar for Threads of Reality too. I realize there is little interest in that still happening, but it's a personal desire.

I'd be interested in seeing the end of that game's plot too. Though to be honest, I have forgotten large chunks of the story...

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:35 am

Dusk9 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:25 am I'd be interested in seeing the end of that game's plot too. Though to be honest, I have forgotten large chunks of the story...
Oh don't worry, I've got a (so far) sixteen page document somewhere in progress (I've been working on it bits and pieces in the past. It's in the final stages). It details the events that lead up to the start of the campaign, a summary of the actual campaign events, and then offers a couple of theoretical endings or events that could still have happened. :)

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:26 pm

....I am not sure what to write after that wall of text. It ...is a lot longer than expected. I'm not even sure where we can input anything on.....

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:00 am

It's a hefty read, but I'm doing this with the knowledge everyone should at least have a week to read at their leisure.

At the end, the group is being asked on their input on whether or not to accept the offer. I could make it a simple yes/no question if it'd make it easier. But I kind of want to avoid that, because it's not really a binary outcome like yes/no would suggest.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:55 am

I'll be honest that I zone out when presented with a big wall of text, but from what I've gathered... Well, I guess spoiler for those that haven't read yet.
► Show Spoiler
My game:

My characters:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:58 am

If it's preferred, I probably could try to shorten updates to keypoints. It's not like it'd be harder for me, it just likely wouldn't do too much to how often I can update. :P

And to be fair, this is a particular story beat that I had to get around to. Others may not be AS involved..?

In each point, you are correct on your summary Dlover. For the remainder though, I'd like to point out your thought might be true for Prometheus, but everyone else working for him is (presumably) human - So that thought process would only work if he convinced him of the fact. And also overseer Okeer in this context is just a title and he's essentially the priest managing this temple, it's nothing like our good old buddy the GRAND OVERSEER.

As for the action you propose: potentially you could. I think if you guys decided the plan should be "Try and find these researchers and this artificial soul thing", that's something that could be done...

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:04 am

... Oh okay, I literally saw the word 'overseer' and immediately equated it to Overseer.
My game:

My characters:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun May 02, 2021 4:15 am

Destroying the prison was brought up earlier and disregarded because it's not viable to achieve, Burns. It's a magic temple between dimensions, so physical destruction wouldn't mean much.
My game:

My characters:

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Sun May 02, 2021 11:32 am

Not viable...yet. We are going up agaisnt a bunch of dimentional hoppers, we have spells that can teleport us, we have acess to many ghost pokemon, some have seen a portal creator (Hoopa) and most of us have literally been inside the prizon. Just because we can’t break it yet doesn’t mean we can’t later.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon May 03, 2021 3:41 pm

I will presume no one has addendums soonish barring input

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon May 03, 2021 5:40 pm

Alex's solution to many things seems to just be to taunt nigh-unimaginably powerful beings.
My game:

My characters:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu May 06, 2021 7:04 am

Dlover wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:40 pm Alex's solution to many things seems to just be to taunt nigh-unimaginably powerful beings.
We probably won't get to play it out, but had Alex actually confronted any of the gods with the whole it being barbaric thing, he probably would get an actual asswhooping and be told that it was his kind responsible for putting the temple in such a role.

Anyway. Actions locked. Dlover, Burns, could I get charm rolls for Alex and Haley please?